PDA

View Full Version : German Police MD 902 Crash

skadi
12th Jan 2010, 16:49
Another MD 902 of the Police of Lower Saxony, Germany was destroyed while on a training mission. The crash happened in the Hannover area near Elze. The crew of three were lucky again, only minor injuries.

Pics: Polizeihubschrauber verunglückt in der Wedemark Mediathek / HAZ - Hannoversche Allgemeine (http://www.haz.de/Mediathek/Fotostrecken/Polizeihubschrauber-verunglueckt-in-der-Wedemark/%28from%29/370694/%28mode%29/full/%28offset%29/0)

skadi

Shawn Coyle
12th Jan 2010, 18:07
And not a MD900 / 902 simulator in sight anywhere...

ab33t
12th Jan 2010, 18:19
whats happening here, another one?

SilsoeSid
12th Jan 2010, 18:54
Please can you add 'Germany' to the thread title.
:ok:

http://www.haz.de/var/storage/images/haz/mediathek/fotostrecken/polizeihubschrauber-stuerzt-in-wedemark-ab/hub-4.2/4832018-1-ger-DE/hub-4.2_imagelarge.jpg

http://www.haz.de/var/storage/images/haz/mediathek/fotostrecken/polizeihubschrauber-stuerzt-in-wedemark-ab/hub-1.1/4831982-1-ger-DE/hub-1.1_imagelarge.jpg

Fortyodd2
12th Jan 2010, 19:06
Good to see the cockpit and cabin intact :ok: - the rest will polish out!!

RVDT
12th Jan 2010, 19:26
And not a MD900 / 902 simulator in sight anywhere...

For about 50 helicopters and not much prospect of any more??

S76Heavy
12th Jan 2010, 19:39
Certainly getting fewer and fewer this way..:}

Ian Corrigible
12th Jan 2010, 20:14
Glad the crew are okay. I guess Rotorcraft Pro (http://www.rotorcraftpro.com/images/stories/archives/rcp0109opt.pdf#page=38) will have to revisit its 'interesting' claim from last January that "...the Explorer’s safety record [is] hands down the best in the industry..." :E

I/C

borjaracing
12th Jan 2010, 20:44
I´m really glad they walked away. However something is starting to bother me a lot. Looks like this year is starting with way too many accidents, don't you think?.

I just hope that the :mad: holes of the :mad: cheese are not trying to line up and play us a bad joke :uhoh:. I don't know whether is plain bud luck, complacency, pressure factors because of the crisis :ugh: or all added up, but something smells really bad.

You stay safe up there for God's sake.

P.S. Sorry for the language, I'm in a bad mood today

peterprobe
12th Jan 2010, 21:32
Chuffed they all got out OK!! A good indicator of the machines toughness. Before it all starts..... those exploders are good machines and safe, well as safe as any thing that flies. Please don't let us turn this into a ewwwwwwww MD are not safe issue/rumour. I only know of two ( in germany as it happens, probably by bad luck nothing more) and no one has been killed, so that to me means BINGO well made whirly thing.:ok:

DeltaNg
12th Jan 2010, 21:40
There are more than two that have gone down.

peterprobe
12th Jan 2010, 22:04
Are there? when were they then ? I honestly do not know of others

Shawn Coyle
12th Jan 2010, 22:06
If memory serves me right, in the FW world of larger aircraft, there's one simulator for about every 30 airplanes...
Why are we so far behind?

DeltaNg
12th Jan 2010, 22:27
peterprobe: B2116 is the most serious of note, a Chinese marine pilot transfer operation, which I believe crashed with 3 fatalities. following an anti-torque malfunction.

Griffin-helicopters have an excellent accident database, have a look, there are a few 900/902 incidents.

Griffin Helicopters | Accident Database (http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk/accidents.asp)

MightyGem
12th Jan 2010, 22:35
Glad they got out OK. Tricky things, snowlandings.

mfriskel
13th Jan 2010, 01:19
Interesting the the rotor head is laying next to the machine, relatively intact with all blades attached albiet broken.
It looks like the static mast was pulled right out (or broken) of the mast support. I have only heard of that 3 times, once in an IAF Apache, once in a special ops MH-6 and now possibly this machine.
Does anyone know what type of training maneuver they were attempting?
Mark

Downupside
13th Jan 2010, 06:09
Another one in 2004 in Japan.
See http://www.mlit.go.jp/jtsb/eng-air_report/JA6757.pdf
Pretty interesting as well
Kami

wallsend
13th Jan 2010, 10:04
A quick look at the Griffin Helicopters accident database suggested above shows five 902 accidents with no fatalities. The same database shows 17 EC135 accidents including 7 involving fatalities. I don't know how comprehensive this database is, but it puts this latest accident in perspective before we start making assumptions about the 902's safety record.

hueyracer
13th Jan 2010, 10:30
All companies are reducing flight hours-especially all governmental helo operators are near at the absolute minimum...

Rumours are spreading, that they got into white out conditions prior crashing...
Other rumours say that the pilot had just a few hundert hours-and had been involved in another crash just a few years ago...
(I think that they maybe swap something...maybe the P(F) had only a few hours-and maybe the other P(NF) (IP?) had been involved in an accident....)?

We will have to wait for more (proofed) details....

DeltaNg
13th Jan 2010, 10:57
wallsend: It must have been a quick look at the database as the chinese aircraft involved 3 fatalities.

If you are going to start your own EC135 comparison, you should calculate your statistic in percentages as the numbers of 135 vs 902 in the world are very different with a ratio of at least 5:1.

An aircraft has crashed and all survived - nobody has made any comparisons between this and any other aircraft, the thread has merely opened up (understandably - and always happens regardless of type) a look at the aircrafts incident history. Nobody has suggested the aircraft is unsafe or otherwise.

Ian Corrigible
13th Jan 2010, 12:22
I'd not intended to turn this into a willy waving thread, I was just surprised at the claim made last year that the Explorer had the best safety record in the industry, which is not supported by the statistics.

The 427, another low-volume type, has a far better accident history than the Explorer (without the 20+ ADs related to the Explorer's VSCS, TT straps, etc.). So too, proportionately, does the EC135 (7X production volumes), and I suspect the Power/Grand (4X production volumes) do as well.

I/C

wallsend
13th Jan 2010, 15:03
Early post on this thread "whats happening here, another one? ".

Hence my wish for a little perpective!

The main thing is everbody's OK!:)

tigerfish
13th Jan 2010, 16:30
I will refrain from getting involved in tiresome comparisons between aircraft types, except to say that both the 902 and the EC135 are modern 2nd generation aircraft and are much safer to be in, if today is the day that your number comes up!

Just add up the total numbers of accidents for both types, realise that both are generally engaged in front line emergency service operational flying, and then ask yourself if the number of fatalities might not have been far far higher in older designs?

Tigerfish

skadi
13th Jan 2010, 19:28
Other rumours say that the pilot had just a few hundert hours-and had been involved in another crash just a few years ago...
(I think that they maybe swap something...maybe the P(F) had only a few hours-and maybe the other P(NF) (IP?) had been involved in an accident....)?
These rumours are correct, the pilot of the 2007 crash at Hannover ( see report below ) was also on the 902 which crashed yesterday, together with an instructor.
The latter 902 was purchased 4 weeks after the first crash as a replacement. Together with these two police MDs, a third one ( HEMS ) rolled over in 2005, also at the Airport of Hannover.

http://www.bfu-web.de/cln_005/nn_226462/EN/Publications/Investigation_20Report/2007/Report__07__3X182__MD900__Hannover,templateId=raw,property=p ublicationFile.pdf/Report_07_3X182_MD900_Hannover.pdf

skadi

DeltaNg
13th Jan 2010, 20:54
whats happening here, another one?

I think skadis above information justifies the quoted comment.

mfriskel
13th Jan 2010, 22:42
The first Hannover Police accident described here was initially a mechanical failure, so the fact that this pilot was on-board both times might just be bad luck. No reason to imply anything else at this time.

The other rollover accident that was HSD, not Hannover Police, was from hanging a skid on a parking-dolly.

Maybe we are uncovering a "Hannover Triangle"! Fortunatly we have seen no injuries of too much consequence and that is a very good thing.

Someone commented on simulators not being available- I had heard PAS was working that issue a couple years ago, does anyone know it that is true or have a status on that project? I just finished a course at FligthSafety in a non-motion AS-350B2 simulator built by Frasca and was quite impressed with the capabilities. The entire device is contained in a room 20 feet by 20 feet and probably 10 feet tall.

Shawn Coyle
14th Jan 2010, 07:15
Aerosimulators was working for several years on one with the Belgian Police, but the status is unknown.

Flaxton Flyer
14th Jan 2010, 10:14
"The 427, another low-volume type, has a far better accident history than the Explorer (without the 20+ ADs related to the Explorer's VSCS, TT straps, etc.). So too, proportionately, does the EC135 (7X production volumes), and I suspect the Power/Grand (4X production volumes) do as well".

The 427, despite being basically a derivitive of every Bell design since the '60s, so hardly cutting-edge technology, (already being phased-out of production) has managed to garner itself 14 ADs despite having being around about 5 years less than the Explorer.

The 135 meanwhile, has scooped up a very commendable 40+ ADs in a similar time frame to the 902.

As for accident stats, can you really compare the record of a mainly VFR twin which is largely used for fair-weather private and charter work against any of the machines used for the much riskier tasks of HEMS / Police ops and get a meaningful outcome?

Ian Corrigible
14th Jan 2010, 14:17
The 427, despite being basically a derivitive of every Bell design since the '60s, so hardly cutting-edge technology
As for accident stats, can you really compare the record of a mainly VFR twin which is largely used for fair-weather private and charter work against any of the machines used for the much riskier tasks of HEMS / Police ops and get a meaningful outcome?
Both valid comments, but neither challenges the only point I actually made, namely that
the claim made last year that the Explorer had the best safety record in the industry...is not supported by the statistics
With regards to
The 427...has managed to garner itself 14 ADs despite having being around about 5 years less than the Explorer
and
The 135 meanwhile, has scooped up a very commendable 40+ ADs in a similar time frame to the 902
You might want to check your stats. According to the FAA, the 427 has only had 9 ADs (plus 2 PW200 ADs), while the EC135 has had 15 ADs (plus 2 PW200 ADs and 5 Arrius 2 ADs). The MD900/902 has had 20 ADs (plus 1 revoked), plus those 2 PW200 ADs.

I/C

500e
14th Jan 2010, 15:33
Iuzb81g_8BM

How hard do you have to hit them

hQ4-pj6XwAg

skadi
14th Jan 2010, 16:01
According to the latest publications including a statement from the police they trained landings in the snowy field ( dropping spec forces etc ) . They hit hard during first landing, lost one skid, the FI gained control , but after a short distance they finaly crashed.

More pics:
Polizeihubschrauber verunglückt in der Wedemark Mediathek / HAZ - Hannoversche Allgemeine (http://www.haz.de/Mediathek/Fotostrecken/Polizeihubschrauber-verunglueckt-in-der-Wedemark/%28from%29/372910/%28mode%29/full/%28offset%29/0)

skadi

tecpilot
14th Jan 2010, 16:17
The question is not the accident rate of MD or EC, but what have they tried in a half meter of snow far away of any training area? There is a trail of more than 100m on the ground before the final rollover. No special forces around and it's private ground. I bet they had found enough snow covered fields around their base for the training.

And btw the a/c was not equipped with snow skids. As mentioned a lot of snow in this area.

I do not in any way want to berate the operational experience in regard to law enforcement these guys have, but in times like these, when government agencies are cutting flying/training hours down to the minimum, I think it is a fair question to ask whether the whole system isn't outdated. A CPL, who after initial training continues flying only 200 hours a year, if at all, no matter what his/her law enforcement experience, IMHO lacks certain piloting skills a 2/3000+ hour civil trained pilot with onshore operational background may have. While this doesn't have to manifest in normal day life, unusual circumstances, eg snow/whiteout conditions, may be an indicator that things are wrong with the system.

Due to financial cuttings in a lot of police units the average police pilot in Germany gets only 80-100h each year. Some have not more than 50-60h.
Yes, they have a lot of newbies with a limited chance to reach at least 1000h in the next 10 years. And yes they try to do with such limited background all the hot stuff like NVG, IR, NVFR, external load, hoisting, rapelling, fire fighting ...

It's a hard job, really! And the accident rate is compared to the very limited flight time very high. That's not a question of the a/c.

I agree to TorqueStripe "may be an indicator that things are wrong with the system" Except the 2007 MD 902 accident in the same unit, all other accidents in german police units in the last decade counted as worst pilot errors.

Flaxton Flyer
15th Jan 2010, 10:05
"You might want to check your stats. According to the FAA, the 427 has only had 9 ADs (plus 2 PW200 ADs), while the EC135 has had 15 ADs (plus 2 PW200 ADs and 5 Arrius 2 ADs). The MD900/902 has had 20 ADs (plus 1 revoked), plus those 2 PW200 ADs.

I/C Yesterday 11:14"

I/C - Check my stats. And that is exactly the point. Which stats you use, and how you interpret them can put a whole different perspective on things.

Your (FAA) stats show 9 ADs on the Bell 427.

Transport Canada stats, meanwhile show 13 current and 1 cancelled.
CAWIS - AD Record List (http://www.tc.gc.ca/Aviation/applications/cawis-swimn/awd-lv-cs1401.asp?rand)=

CASA in Oz shows 12 current

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Rotorcraft (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/ad_display.asp?session=580764242&pc=PC_90829&sched=rotor&toc=BELL427)

And as for the EC135, the FAA may well list 15 ADs but take a look at the German view
http://www2.lba.de/dokumente/ad/html/ads-eurocopter/3061-ec-135.htm (http://www2.lba.de/dokumente/ad/html/ads-eurocopter/3061-ec-135.htm)

The wonderful world of figures and stats. :)

Ian Corrigible
16th Jan 2010, 00:12
FF,

Point well made. I guess we still have some way to go in regulatory harmonization & reciprocity.

I/C

Helinut
16th Jan 2010, 12:44
In any discussion about rates, you need to look carefully at the denominator, the exposure population, as well as the number of incidents. As previously mentioned, the 427 has comparatively limited exposure compared with either the 900/902 or the EC135. However, the EC135 has a much greater exposure than the 900/902. Many more aircraft than the 900/902, being flown a significant number of hours per year.