PDA

View Full Version : "lead the level off"

lariflette
11th Jan 2010, 22:53
Could anyone help me understand this expression.... "lead the level off"

I am not a pilot or airman....
but I have been translating a manual for the Beechcraft King Air C90 (from English to Italian)

I am stuck with this jargonic expression, which seems to be current language for you, as indicated by a Google search.... but I did not find a definition anywhere...

If someone could describe what is happening when you "lead the level off".... once I can vizualize it, I will be able to describe it appropriatly in the destination language.

Many thanks in advance

TurbineTooHot
11th Jan 2010, 22:58
I believe that "leading the level off" would be better put as "anticipating the level off."

It's a King Air, you wouldn't want a Hawk-style yug or bunt just before you go blasting though your cleared level, as is often the case (you know who you are). I'm assuming it is suggesting progressively reducing the rate of climb/dive as you approach your level off alt.

Hope this helps,

TTH

rigpiggy
11th Jan 2010, 23:48
basically don't fly it like a fighter. 1000 below reduce to 1000fpm 100 below reduce to 100fpm. my interpretation anyway.

BANANASBANANAS
12th Jan 2010, 01:41
Was always taught to commence level off when 10% of rate of climb below level off altitude. IE, Climbing at 3000fpm, commence level off with 300 feet to go.

beardy
12th Jan 2010, 08:00
Try posting the phrase in its context.