PDA

View Full Version : Powerpoint Flight Training Aids

jbag3
11th Jan 2010, 22:33
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find some good Powerpoint or similar computer based briefings for flight instructors to use when teaching students. Anyone know of anything I can download from somewhere?

Cheers!

Scorpion83
11th Jan 2010, 22:46
Generally as a flight instructor you should really design your own to customize it to your own technique. However, there are some really good ideas and lessons that you could source from Youtube, especially for your stalling briefs.

MakeItHappenCaptain
11th Jan 2010, 23:40
The powerpoint brief should be used to introduce the topic and major points. Too many are designed to be read parrot fashion, and by doing this, the technique of actually explaining the point is lost.

Heard of a CASA inspector who walked out of a FIR practise brief because the student was reading it word for word. Had no understanding of the formula or how to explain it further.

"Death by Powerpoint" as it's been described.

Agreed, it would be a great way to standardise a course amongst all the instructors, but it can also make instructors lazy.

KopitePilot
12th Jan 2010, 00:31
The best instruction I have had has been where the QFI has designed thier own presentation. Usually this has been a few slied as an intro on the subject, then much work done on a white board - with maybe a few slides to finish up. There is nothing worse trying to learn off a dictated powerpoint show with mindless 'cool' graphics and noises. The answer then is design your own lessons for each subject and include as little power point as possible!

Horatio Leafblower
12th Jan 2010, 09:54
My sentiments exactly! :D

Powerpoint can be a fantastic tool to standardise illustrations, but it can also be a very blunt instrument which can be used to kill a student's interest.

At the last ATO PDP I attended, the head of the FTTO made the introductory address about the new, improved hgh standards for instructors. The next presentation was made by a FOI who promptly demonstrated one of the best examples I have ever seen of "death by Parrot-point".

I have heard stories of Grade 1 instructors bludgeoning their students with Parrot-Point and being unable to deliver the same brief, accurately or effectively, without the electronic crutch. :ugh:

DeltaT
13th Jan 2010, 07:36
And then when you use the old OHP and adlib it all, the good old kiwi examiner has a go at you for not using Powerpoint and being upto date...

Lodown
13th Jan 2010, 13:18
The instructor has a multitude of tools available to get the lesson across in the most practical and effective way possible for the student. A PP presentation is just one of those tools as with models, aircraft parts, a whiteboard, pencil and paper, practical demonstration, flying hands, etc.

Nothing wrong with designing your own PP presentation, and then tuck it away never to be used in anger. But to my mind, I'd rather improve on something aleady out there and pass it on to the next person to do the same. A pox on the instructor who reads from a PP presentation without uinderstanding the subject! A PP presentation should supplement the lesson, not BE the lesson (most times).

Tough to beat the flying hands and models of a passionate instructor who knows what he/she is talking about.

What works better: showing air flowing over a wing on PP, or doing it yourself with a model? Quicker on PP, but the message is stronger from the practical experience. A little of both would be ideal.

TSIO540
13th Jan 2010, 21:46
Through some of the larger schools around, especially instructor rating schools, you will usually be able to grab a copy of their 'standardised' powerpoint briefs. However they will usually be subject to copywrite and intellectual property rights so I recommend not 'stealing' them for commercial use because word gets around :}

If you read the help section in the program, it gives some handy shortcuts. Once you know some of the basic shortcuts, simply setup a background and then add your text whilst keeping in mind LESS IS MORE. Text should prompt - except for definitions where accurate wording is important. No more than one idea per slide and avoid distracting animation :yuk::ugh::rolleyes::= (like this) unless it is something quick and simple - like 'appear' or 'slide in' (from bottom).

You will also find as others have mentioned previously that having written the material yourself, you will be much more familiar with it and thus better able to handle the interruptions that so frequently occur in flight training.

Horatio Leafblower
13th Jan 2010, 21:56
A pox on the instructor who reads from a PP presentation without uinderstanding the subject! A PP presentation should supplement the lesson, not BE the lesson (most times).

Too often instructors use Parrotpoint the same way many people use GPS - as a substitute for planning, preparation and understanding.

Anyone at Tony Kern's presentations saw P/point at its best. Kern spoke from his notes and he would ad-lib, and he would then click over the slide to illustrate his point and provide emphasis and impact. Truly, a master at public speaking and teaching.

What you see in practice from too many instructors is the opposite:

*click*
quickly read slide to see what it's about (which is exactly what your students are doing at the same time)
Start reading slide aloud to students (who are still reading the full page of badly formatted tightly-packed text)
Students give up reading for themselves (active processing) and sit there listening (passive reception... like watching TV)
Instructor looks at students and asks if everyone understands. Students just nod, the better for ending the torture.... :ugh:
*click*... next slide...

When asked why they feel the need to read to the (perfectly literate) students, it is justified by "oh it really helps to give them input on more than one level, hearing as well as seeing". :rolleyes:
:ugh: :=

ratso
13th Jan 2010, 23:15
Ask someone on this site or other aviation sites who would have a PP BRIEF made up already on file and ask them to email it to you as a attachment.

You will find a lot I am sure that will share what they have made up with you.

Like others have said here the brief made up by the instructor is the best.

MakeItHappenCaptain
14th Jan 2010, 09:58
Got it in one, RATSO.

Who else wants all the briefs that I've spent hours, researching, developing and approving without having to do any work whatsoever themselves? :hmm:

Gossamer Wings
30th Jul 2017, 02:48
Hi Jbag3 and others interested in this old post topic. Interesting I have just stumbled upon this post in 2017 and find it just as relevant today. I have been a flight instructor for some years and I think the responses to your post are all valuable.
As already stated in replys to you, I believe that standardisation is vital for any flight training organisation. This means that commonality in all briefings for any particular flight school is essential. Although that might impliy a parrot fashion PowerPoint existence, it does not mean that each flight instructor can not be trained or should not be able to elaborate on the points made in the identical briefs. The briefs should be minimalist in their design but invite opportunity for short succinct explanations from the instructor. I also agree with one of the reply regarding the 21st century. Yes we should try to be modern and streamlined in our presentations, but this does not have to mean that instructors shouldn't be able to meangfully expand on the briefs and relevant points.
Indeed the briefs should be regularaly reviewed by instructors and that review process invites safety oriented and training awareness. discussions between the instructors. (for themselves and their students) I believe that If any pilots think they don't have the time for that or if any company doesn't think that time is economically substantial, then they would be unsafe and inappropriate. Across the years I have rarely seen inappropriate attitudes toward safety enhancement in training though. Cheers and thanks for raising a great topic.

Shagpile
30th Jul 2017, 11:43
Please for the love of god, do not use powerpoint unless you are Al Gore.

Tee Emm
30th Jul 2017, 14:31
When asked why they feel the need to read to the (perfectly literate) students, it is justified by "oh it really helps to give them input on more than one level, hearing as well as seeing
I saw that with my own eyes where an education guru was brought in to give a lecture on instructional technique. He was a power point man right from the first word and while the eyes of the course members drooped, he patiently read line after line after line from his own PP presentation. :sad:

Vag277
30th Jul 2017, 21:04
See here https://www.caa.govt.nz/fig/instructions/

DynamicStall
31st Jul 2017, 03:22
The NZ CAA have had excellent instructor resources for decades now, and we have seen the FAA produce fantastic resources with their Airplane Flying Handbook etc.

One of the recent CASA flying training panel workshops have listed the CASA Flight Instructor Manual as a item for revision.... Now to wait 10 years.

josephfeatherweight
31st Jul 2017, 06:00
See here https://www.caa.govt.nz/fig/instructions/

Non of those links on the pages for the downloadable content seem to work for me...