PDA

View Full Version : Sir Jock for the Chop?

ORAC
11th Jan 2010, 07:16
The Times - Article: Forces chief Sir Jock Stirrup faces calls to stand down early (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6983153.ece)

Britain’s top military commander faces mounting pressure to step down from generals who believe that he lacks the necessary experience to lead the war effort in Afghanistan.

Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup, the Chief of the Defence Staff, is expected to be asked to retire earlier than planned to allow one of the two most senior army commanders to take over the role of principal military adviser to the Government. There is a growing view in Whitehall that a soldier, rather than an airman, should run the Armed Forces up to 2014 — a period when the Army will absorb an increasing amount of the MoD’s resources because of its leading role in the Afghan land war...........

Times Editorial: Military Matters (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/leading_article/article6982968.ece)

The dysfunctional relationship betwen the most senior commanders of the Armed Forces is an open secret and has an effect on the ground. It must be put right

Jabba_TG12
11th Jan 2010, 07:34
Never had any time for him. Far more of a self serving politico than he ever was an airman. That's why Brown picked him and extended him in post instead of Dannatt taking buggins turn as CDS. If you lie down with dogs, you end up with fleas. And Brown is probably one of the most mangy, flea infested old hounds ever to have usurped the office of PM.

I should imagine as long as he gets a seat in the HoL and/or his fat pension, he wont give a tinkers cuss either way. Just like a majority of those who have gone before him.

Diablo Rouge
11th Jan 2010, 08:17
Watch you dont get a splinter in your arse from that fence Jabba mate!

Jabba_TG12
11th Jan 2010, 08:35
Cheers DiabloR.... I'll be on the look-out for errant splinters, fear not.... :}

MechGov
11th Jan 2010, 08:50
You can't help but admire the irony of this. The man was extended in post to prevent the outspoken Dannat from getting the job. The moment that his usefulness has expired then the political spin merchants brief against him. Whether he was effective or not, his removal will owe more to the political expedient of having an Army man preside over the impending financial butchering of the Navy and RAF than his inability to head the military.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
11th Jan 2010, 09:51
MechGov. You took the words out of my mouth, Sir. The argument that we need a brown job at the top because of the ‘Stan is pretty specious. CGS can provide that function more than satisfactorily. From what noises yer man Richards has made so far, both blue Services really will be buggered if he gets the job. Then, should Dannatt get the SoS Defence under Cameron, the cheese holes really will line up for disaster.

Union Jack
11th Jan 2010, 22:54
Watch you don't get a splinter in your arse from that fence Jabba mate!

Well, at least ORAC's given Jabba a good clue as to who could suck it out ....!:p

Jack

Jabba_TG12
12th Jan 2010, 07:03
UJ:

I'm not normally given to such visions, but I have to admit, were such a splinter ever to find itself in the area concerned, I might find myself tempted... :}:) and then normality returns, all but briefly...:yuk: