PDA

View Full Version : Training- Full time v part time

MikeAlphaCharlie
11th Jan 2010, 04:54
Hi all.

I attained my GFPT close to a year ago now after training on a part time basis flying once or twice a week to achieve this. In my case I was (and still am) working full time by night and flying/studying by day. Obviously flying a plane after working an 8 hr shift is not ideal (I am still not sure how I came this far??).
Anyways, having spent the last 12 months flying family and friends around the training area the time has come for this little bird to expand his wings. My financial situation may be changing where I may not have to work in the immediate future, and so will be able to concentrate my energies on flying and study.
So I ask, do I continue on a part time basis at a smaller school where I get one on one treatment or do I move to a larger so called "sausage factory" full time to CPL level and beyond? Any imput on this would be appreciated.

Kind regards, MAC

VH-XXX
11th Jan 2010, 04:57
I'm sure everyone here would love to help with your question.

In exchange you will need to divulge the secret for how at 22 you don't need to work!

MikeAlphaCharlie
11th Jan 2010, 05:19
I've got some land up in PNG with a bit of gold on it.

CaptCirrus
11th Jan 2010, 05:21
Depends on wether you want to be treated like a sausage!

Like XXX said, would love to know how you get that kind of money, did you kill someone off?

OK, seriously. Just go with an instructor that you're comfortable with and with a school that's going to look after you. Regardless of who you go through, you'll still end up with what ever it is you're chasing, eg PPL, CPL etc.

tmpffisch
11th Jan 2010, 05:58
I flew part-time, and obatained CPL in 12 months. Far quicker than what a 'sausage factory' could have, and far cheaper.

Do you think your current 'part-time' flying school would turn you away if you said "this is when I want to fly and here's when I want my CPL by..."?

MikeAlphaCharlie
11th Jan 2010, 06:15
Thanks 'fisch, CPL in 12 months part time is worthy. Was that post GFPT or from scratch?

tmpffisch
11th Jan 2010, 06:21
From scratch. You can include MECIR (which was full-time) in that too.
My work schedule allowed me to fit some flying in though during the week, however if you're working part-time, you could easily do the same thing.

MikeAlphaCharlie
11th Jan 2010, 06:43
Nice nice :ok:

Capt Claret
11th Jan 2010, 06:46
T'was a long time ago for me but in '83, 26 years of age, married with two children, a new born and an almost 2 year old, I went the full time CPL course route.

My reasoning at the time, was a firm belief that if I tried the part-time route, something would get in the way. The garden would need mowing, or money would be tight this week, or yadda, yadda, yadda.

In 9 months I went from zero to CPL with MECIR. At times post gaining my CPL I wondered about the school, NASA/CATA because I heard so much negative stuff about the place from people who'd never been there.

Close to 30 years later, I'm of the opinion that one's frame of mind, desire to learn and self discipline are far more important & relevant than whether its school A, B or C. If I had my time over again, I'd go the same route. For me, too many distractions trying to do it part time.

MikeAlphaCharlie
11th Jan 2010, 07:09
Thanks Capt. Claret,

desire to learn, frame of mind and self discipline are attributes I've definately realised one must have to succeed in flying. Thanks for your imput.

Aerohooligan
11th Jan 2010, 07:38
If you can afford full-time training, I reckon do it. But try to stay away from sausage factories. They seem to put out a lower quality product, and I personally feel all commercial students deserve a mentor instructor like I was lucky enough to have - someone who does most of your dual flying with you and goes the extra mile to help you achieve.

Just don't forget to enjoy life and have a bit of fun while you chase the dream - cause it ends the day you get a flying job. :E

bugsmashergirl
11th Jan 2010, 07:42
Nice work MAC

Full time is something I never even considered as I thought it would be close to impossible with all of the exams - back to the drawing board!

Linda

Jazzy78910
11th Jan 2010, 08:31
11 Months ago I had zero hours in my log book. I gained my PPL last August, took a break and have just started the CPL.

I have been working full time throughout, and believe me, it's tough. Working a 38 hour week, planning Navs AND studying for exams really takes it's toll. Part time would be better, but if money wasn't an issue I'd be a full time student to give the theory the attention it deserves.

Good luck!

jcorney
11th Jan 2010, 09:17
I'm kind of in a similar boat, I started on the 26th of Jan last year and am about to go for my PPL test. The most annoying this was the sheer number of flights cancelled last year due to weather, at one stage I had done less than 50% of the flights I had booked. As soon as I finish my PPL I will be moving straight on to doing the CPL. Working full time shiftwork and learning to fly has been a challenge but I am lucky to have a job where I could study for my exams and also do most of my flight planning.

even with a 3 month break in the middle of the year I am aiming to have the CPL sorted by octoberish

Ando1Bar
11th Jan 2010, 10:08
Here we go, the old sausage factory argument :hmm:

Like all schools, some a good, some are bad. I've worked for a 'club' and a 'factory'. They cater for students in different ways and I wouldn't say one is superior to another. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Aerohooligan - PM me any time if you'd like to drop in for a cup of coffee and see the 'low quality product we seem to make'.