PDA

View Full Version : (IAANZ) International Aviation Academy of New Zealand

left_clear_right_cle
10th Jan 2010, 22:28
Hi everyone,

has anybody here trained with IAANZ for frozen ATPL?

How is the quality of the course?

What number of graduates get employed after graduating?

Your comments will be highly appreciated.

Thank You

BillieBob
11th Jan 2010, 19:09
I think the reason that you are not overwhelmed with replies is that most readers of this forum are based in Europe and, since IAANZ does not offer JAA training, few will have any experience to offer.

In the current climate, I would guess your chances of landing a job in NZ with a newly minted NZ CPL/IR would be small - in the JAA it would be zero.

bala_murali
7th Apr 2010, 17:21
hi billy. i am thinking of doing my pilot training in new zealand. from you post i understand that new zealand license is not valued much around the world. am i right in thinking that .and didnt understand the line "in JAA it would be zero "" .. can you abbreviate on that ".thank you .

GusHoneybun
7th Apr 2010, 23:42

yup, i did my training there and then converted to JAA. although that was 10 years ago.

it was a good school when i was there. aircraft were serviceable. on site engineering minimises delays. good local training areas. weather was good, if a little chilly. ground school instructors were knowledgeable. with a good exchange rate the training was criminally cheap compared to the UK. all in all, it was a good school when i was there.

for the poms, in a word, none. it's a closed shop in NZ.

BillieBob
8th Apr 2010, 13:59
from you post i understand that new zealand license is not valued much around the world.I don't know why that should be your understanding. New Zealand is an ICAO member state and its licence is as valued around the world as any other ICAO licence, JAA included. All that I suggested was that jobs for newly qualified pilots are few and far between, irrespective of what licence they hold - hence your chances of securing a job in NZ would be small.

So far as the JAA is concerned, a NZ licence will be worth the same as any other ICAO licence (i.e. not very much) but that is a function of European protectionism rather than any fault with the NZ licence. Before being able to fly commercially within the JAA you would need a JAA licence and, whilst an ICAO licence will attract some credits, there will still be a lot of hoops to jump through, not least the theoretical knowledge examinations.

Luke SkyToddler
9th Apr 2010, 06:47
Hi everyone,

Your comments will be highly appreciated.

Thank You

The employment ratio is quite high, many graduates are successful in their application to Mcdonald's, supermarket checkout assistants is also a common post-training career path, and several exceptionally skilled candidates have recently gained employment as stop/go sign holders on the road works.

ZERO percent of graduates get employed as New Zealand based airline pilots upon graduating. Same as every flying school in NZ. Don't believe the hype from IAANZ or indeed from Massey, CTC, Ardmore or any of the other big-advertising schools. It just doesn't happen.

You need to understand that it is simply not possible to get into even the smallest regional turboprop airline in NZ with less than around 1000 TT / 200 multi, and most successful applicants in the current market have more like 2000 TT / 500 multi.

Any muppet can get a licence, your problem will be where to find the couple thousand hours you will need, after you finish training and before you can get your CV into the airline piles. That is where the vast majority of people fail in this business.

Think about it, when you choose a training school. Look for something that offers employment options AFTER the licence training is complete, that's going to lead to hours in logbooks. Ask your intended training provider what they do to look after their students AFTER they graduate, and what connections they have at the entry level of aviation. You need to understand that any school marketer who tells you it's possible to join a NZ airline straight out of flying school, or claims to have special connections with "X and Y" airline, is LYING through their teeth. Don't trust a single one of them.

If you don't believe me, then apply this very simple test - go stick your head into any crew room of any airline at any airport in the country, and ask the first pilot you see, how many years and flying hours it took them from graduating school to starting their first airline job, and where did they get those hours from.

Your first job won't be in an airliner or even a piston twin to start with, and pay will be pathetic to non-existent. I used to get angry about that but now I see the kind of pay-to-fly shafting that euro wannabes are getting, I'm just glad every day that GA still exists as a very-tough-but-still-achievable career progression path in NZ :rolleyes:

King Julian
9th Apr 2010, 07:21
What Luke said is exactly 100% right. Every single point.
But there is hope if you can get your C-Cat instructor rating and get a job. It'll keep your hours ticking.

I did my training with IAANZ and the quality of training is very high.
The CFI is one of the best you can get in NZ.

Remember, In NZ the progression of your aviation career can be beaten by a snail :ugh::ugh::ugh:

KJ

BondnotBond
10th Apr 2010, 07:07
Hi.
The ATPL at IAANZ is a correspondence course at the moment and I highly doubt that will change. Most pilots that train at IAANZ end up in an airline, the problem in getting the hours up from completing training and in the current economic climate it is very hard to get a job in NZ because of the lack of work.

blindworm2003
24th May 2010, 23:26
I agree with the above from Luke, training in NZ is cheap, but your chances of getting the job after graduating are zero. About IAANZ, don't waste your time and money, look for a better flying school. My experience with the school is "be prepared to lick a lot of :mad: and you will get away with murder". The place has double standards, and like any other business they are not ashamed to show that your money talks and bull:mad: student loans walk. In other words if you are on a student loan lick as much :mad: until your jaws swell or else she will always be on your case, on the other hand, if you are self funded, you control the situation. Good luck:ok: