PDA

View Full Version : Oz ATPL Flight Test?

hsvrox
8th Jan 2010, 02:57
Hi,

Have heard through the grapevine that CASA are introducing an ATPL flight test in the near future. Does anyone have a specific date as to when this will come into law?

Cheers

Orion Delta
8th Jan 2010, 03:06
like 90% of the stuff people on here "hear" it is just a rumour.

tubby one
8th Jan 2010, 04:16
will more than likely be one of the 'new' bits intorduced in Part 61 (if it ever gets released). if so will bring us into line with ICAO!!!;)

Icarus53
8th Jan 2010, 04:20
Would it really matter? You don't need it until you want to command an RPT flight, and I expect that if a flight test were to be required, company check captains would hold a delegation and it would simply form part of upgrade training/checking?

Would mean the license actually meant something rather than simply indicating the holder paid far to much money to sit in an exam room to answer irrelevant questions posed in ambiguous terms. Followed by 1500 hours which could feasibly include a heap of time in a piston single. Why not have a flight test?

SM227
8th Jan 2010, 04:59
Because its just another thing to spend money on and get all worked up over! :bored:
Are we really at a disadvatage not having the flight test in our system? Do we have a problem with pilot standards at this level that we need a flight test, IMO, the CIR renewal is a good enough check, and thats not one off, its every year.

eocvictim
8th Jan 2010, 06:37
I heard about this back in 2003... Still worried?

Unhinged
8th Jan 2010, 10:10
This project has been going on for almost 10 years ... I wouldn't hold your breath

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - CASR Part 61 - Flight crew licensing (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:PWA:1208303993:pc=PARTS061)

Interestingly enough, if it's ever completed in anything like the current form, flight tests would be introduced for ATPL issue, but Instrument Ratings would become permanently valid (subject to recency, and demonstrated competence - rather like a BFR)

A very sensible initiative, which is why it's stalled so badly at CASA of course !

fudwinkel
8th Jan 2010, 20:11
I was informed in a telephone conversation in 1996 with a kind lady at CASA that they were working on recognising the FAA Flight Instructor certificate.

She said that if I went ahead and did the training in the US that by the time I returned I should be able to convert to the CASA equivalent.

I have not attempted to do this yet. What are the chances, anyone know?