PDA

View Full Version : JeppView Flight Deck

TrevorDal
7th Jan 2010, 03:55
does anybody have any experience of Flight Deck in Australia? I'm approaching my renew date for my charts in a few months and am just wondering if it's worth going via the electronic road, aside from anything else I'm no big fan of doing updates!

I'm also interested in the GPS side of the program and moving maps - does this also go for the charts (in as much as you can see your position on the chart relative to the proceedure? I'd be looking at running it on a tablet, so again any tips appreciated.

Any other comments that could help?

Thanks

TD

ForkTailedDrKiller
7th Jan 2010, 04:27
TD

I have used JeppView/Flitedeck on a Motion Computing LS800 computer for about 4 years now. Works fine.

But I also carry paper Jepps in my fightbag. An electronic flightbag like Flitedeck is convenient, but I would never rely totally on a computer for my safety - I have seen too many of them sh*t themselves.

Yes, most of the charts are geo-referenced. SIDs, STARS and DME/GPS arrivals aren't.

Very handy for flying approaches and finding your way around on the ground at the big airports.

I use a Garmin USB GPS ($150) to talk to my computer.

Here's a pic of the LS800 mounted on the yolk of the Bo!

http://www.fototime.com/52BDACDB7BD47B8/standard.jpg

Cheers

Dr :8

lk978
7th Jan 2010, 08:43
talk about over equiped... nice gear but are you going to a dirt strip or LAX.

PS great to see people are actually prepared for flights I am just having a dig

KopitePilot
7th Jan 2010, 08:50
Great pic - The 296 on the column, the JeppView to the side and then the G430 in the avionics stack, look up expecting Sydney 34R ILS and there's a patch of dirt just north of Denilequin!

As above, not taking the piss, just love the contrast of cockpit to runway :-)

ForkTailedDrKiller
7th Jan 2010, 09:16
and there's a patch of dirt just north of Denilequin!

Hmmmm, don't think so!

lk978
7th Jan 2010, 09:20
DR you would have to be an IT consultant.... Are you?

KopitePilot
7th Jan 2010, 09:31
Haha - could be anywhere to me!

debiassi
7th Jan 2010, 09:54
www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2DN5hmfDoE (http://www.pprune.org/www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2DN5hmfDoE)
Watch the full approach to see the chart overlay!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2DN5hmfDoE

Have a look at this video. I experimented for a long time with different platforms before arriving on this set up. Its running on vista with a 32GB SSD. The solid state drive is a must for anything above 10000ft I have found. I have now put a few of these systems together for pilot friends who are blown away by the level of information to hand. I am a big fan of this system and use it even when I have a G1000 at my fingertips.

ab33t
7th Jan 2010, 09:59
The flight path of the aircrat is actually over the top of the apr chart so its a pretty cool piece of kit

ForkTailedDrKiller
7th Jan 2010, 10:00
Haha - could be anywhere to me!

KopitePilot, the 'where' was done in the pics thread a couple of years ago. There are lots of people in here who can pick it!

DR you would have to be an IT consultant.... Are you?

Can I get my arm up an IT's bum? If not, I know nothing about it! :E

NOSIGN
7th Jan 2010, 10:23
What FTDK said.

I ran Jeppview and Flitedeck on a HP TC1100 and now an IBM Lenovo tablet when it'd be helpful.

additional notes;

Several years back the data downloads were small and manageable at outback dialup speeds. These days (well at least say two years ago... the last time i really used flitedeck) the data downloads are frequently in the hundreds of megabytes , so ensure you have the download capability.

Consider what will power your laptop in flight. I used to have an inverter and ac powerboard in the 402 that I flew. The aircraft that I freqently fly now don't have a power board or cigi lighter jack, so I would have to rely on battery power alone. I ran a bluetooth geeps which sucked the juice out of the laptop battery quickly if the laptop wasnt plugged into a power outlet.

It was useful to have two fully charged batteries.

Phone support from Jeppesen was excellent.

Good program overall IMHO.

Good luck

Jabawocky
7th Jan 2010, 11:34
For a NEWBIE at the IFR game JeppView is a nice thing, apart from anything if you think your paper Jepps may be missing a plate or something......just check your JeppView!

If flying at night and you want better RNAV altitudes than the A5 size plate....print one or on your tablet PC :ok:.

Now as for the picture above by the Dr......well I have to burst his bubble, by Mrs FTDK......... You will see the G296 and 430W plus a tablet :ok: but the damned PIC was a bit low on profile despite all the technology.

Said PIC might blame visually dodging rain showers and just being not used to the descending ability of the VTail.........but thats a pi$$ poor excuse! :ooh: But it did make for a good picture except all my grey hair which is now far worse!:{

Retard Vehicle is equiped with G530W/G296/Tablet and JeppView&Flight Deck with soft GPS............pretty hard to get lost now ya hear!

The Green Goblin
7th Jan 2010, 21:38
Looks a little cramped in that aeroplane doc!

When you're scrambling across the seats trying to get out in a hurry all those cords and bits of wizardry will become detrimental to your chances of getting out unscathed!

:p

Old Akro
8th Jan 2010, 00:14
The readily available Garmin USB GPS is only 1 Hz,(ie one position update per second) although there is a 5Hz model available. I think the Panel mount Garmins are at 20 Hz and the Handheld is probably 5 Hz. I'd consider 5Hz to be the minimum reliable speed.

How do you go with daylight laptop visibility?

ForkTailedDrKiller
8th Jan 2010, 00:39
How do you go with daylight laptop visibility?

You cough up the $$ for a day-vis screen, or else you don't see much in bright sunlight!

TrevorDal
8th Jan 2010, 05:06
Thanks for the advice all, and great pic there Doc!!

Been looking into the possible tablets for it and have found this bad boy:

Viliv X70 UMPC - *Now Available* - Tablet PC Australia (http://www.tabletpc.com.au/product/1779/34856/viliv-x70-umpc)

Just wondering if a 7inch screen will be too small? I like the 6 hour batter life, inbuilt GPS and portability, but the size is a concern.

ForkTailedDrKiller
8th Jan 2010, 23:26
Couple more pics for you TD.

http://www.fototime.com/DCF601A12120DED/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/111B066B1710203/standard.jpg

tmpffisch
8th Jan 2010, 23:41
Looks like the Bo goes like a Zertec. 842kt...

kimwestt
9th Jan 2010, 02:44
Methinks that the decimal point was perhaps geographically uncertain and ended up one place to the right too far !!!!!!!!!!!:ok::O

NOSIGN
9th Jan 2010, 03:25
I reckon 7" is too small. I think min size is 10" just because there's a lot of information on the Jepp screen. I am a minimilist and have good eye sight but 7" was too small for me.

Jabawocky
9th Jan 2010, 06:14
If you have room in your cockpit bigger is better...... but be careful!

The Bo doing 842 knots............:ok: Means the Retard Vehicle must do about 857kts:}

ForkTailedDrKiller
9th Jan 2010, 06:26
I reckon 7" is too small.

I agree. The Motion Computing LS800 has an 8.5' screen and it is as small as you can go (with my eyesight at least) and be able to read all of the info available on an approach plate on one screen.

Unfortunately they dont make them anymore and I have not as yet found an equivalent replacement.

I did have a Fujitsu tablet with a 10" screen - but it is too big to have it mounted in any useful way in the Bonanza.

PS: As for the 842 knots .......... there is nothing in that pic to suggest it is the Bonanza!

NOSIGN
10th Jan 2010, 04:20
I made some straps on velcroe to tie to my legs when needed, but it was rather overthetop so most days is rested on between the front seats on the floor. When I needed to look at it I glanced down, or if I really needed it, I kept it on my lap. With the tablet on my lap or between seats, you could block the sun glare and keep it readable.

I know a G4 fity Capt who mounted his 10.3" screened HP tc1100 on the yoke and made good use of it.