PDA

View Full Version : Gatwick closed - likely impact on tomorrow's flights?

skot
6th Jan 2010, 11:18
Hi all
we (me, wife and 4 year old) are booked WTP on BA2037, tomorrow, from Gatwick to Orlando.

With Gatwick closed today, and today's 2037 cancelled, anyone have any clue what impact this would have on tomorrow's flight? ba.com won't let me check in online. I guess most of today's 2037 passengers would be bumped to "my" flight?

I'm BA silver if that would make a difference.

Appreciate any opinions / experience.

manintheback
6th Jan 2010, 11:22
Pax from one flight generally dont bump others on the next flight - else the knock on effect would go on forever. Those who missed will be found the next avail flight, if loadings arent good it might be yours but not to replace you. For you, well who knows what the weather will do.

skot
6th Jan 2010, 11:28
Thanks - that give us some crumbs of comfort. Of course, you're right; who knows what the weather will be like tomorrow.

I feel for those whose flights have been cancelled - definitely not something I'd like to experience...

UniFoxOs
6th Jan 2010, 12:55
How long is it going to take you from Edinburgh to Gatwick??

Might be more of a problem!!

UFO

skot
6th Jan 2010, 14:55
How long is it going to take you from Edinburgh to Gatwick??

Might be more of a problem!!

As it happens - you're absolutely correct. EDI-LGW just got cancelled and, while I was on the phone to BA, the LGW-MCO got cancelled too. Now we're booked to go two days later :(

Oh well, I guess I know what happens now..

chiquidejesus
6th Jan 2010, 18:25
EK011 DXB-LGW departing at 2.55am 7th of Jan, 2010 is CANCELLED

manintheback
7th Jan 2010, 21:13
So is everything else (cancelled) by the looks of it. Cant understand why Gatwicks (new owners?) are saying the airport is operating normally when theres almost nothing happening.

skot
7th Jan 2010, 23:07
Sigh, tell me about it :bored:

Just checked (0001) flight status and it shows around 80% of arrivals cancelled, however I presume that these will mostly be because the aircraft in question is still at Gatwick, hence can't be arriving from a place where the plane ain't at.

I think that Friday will be the primary clue for how much Gatwick is getting back to normal. So, it's going to be v. cold and icy, but doesn't look as if any more snow is forecast.

It's not the end of the world, but I've already explained to my 4 year old that his holiday is delayed 48 hours - hope I don't need to "reset his expectations" any more...

skot
8th Jan 2010, 00:59
All,

just wanted to let you know that I got a very nice PM from a BA pilot. I just want to say thank you to the pilot who responded personally to me and I now understand that the situation (especially regarding diverting planes and crew) is much more complex than we typically anticipate.

Still hoping we get out of here on Saturday, but with a renewed belief in the BA staff.
Scott

Gulfstreamaviator
8th Jan 2010, 08:56
The situation is not so easy, as "you wont get bumped".

Different circumstances call for different responses.

In general: companies would prefer to bump, (assuming they can alert the bumbed in time), there is a heavy cost factor, involved with pax who are actually at the airport, compared to still at home. LCC have different desires in relation to these costs.

Also: snow closed is an "act of god", a delay due to a late incoming is not an "act of god", and thus can attract massive costs.

If you have not checks in, then most companies will have no contractual liability to you.

I am just so pleased that I am not in the UK, this week. I was there for the December snows, that was enough for me.

glf

Malone
8th Jan 2010, 09:08
glf,
With all due respect, I am not sure what you are on about. Manintheback is absolutely right. "Bumped" passengers will be put onto the next available flight with spare capacity, passengers on those flights will not be bumped to make way for them. The flights will obviously be booked up to capacity, including oversales, so the airline will be looking for volunteers to go on later flights. If you are willing to do this it can be quite lucrative as I am sure that they will be doing that on flights for a few days yet!!