View Full Version : Faith in Human Nature

ExSp33db1rd
6th Jan 2010, 05:16
It sort of restores ones' Faith in Human Nature .........

My car was hit in a local car park this afternoon, by a young man manouvering his truck.

I didn't know of course, until I returned to find him awaiting my return, whereupon he showed me the damaged Port side rear light cluster, and promptly wrote out his name and address and telephone for me.

I drove around to the local Jap. car second-hand parts dealer and purchased a used, and dusty ! unit off the shelf for the vast cost of $45.00 - about 10 quid UK - which I have just spent all of four minutes fitting. ( 4 screws, 30 secs each in and out.)

I've just telephoned the guy, and he has promised to meet me in town again tomorrow, cash in his hot, sticky hand.

I believe him, but I might park around the corner, or go on the motor bike !

im from uranus
6th Jan 2010, 05:31
Why not let him spend the £10 ($45) on a few beers for his honesty? I would! :ok:

sitigeltfel
6th Jan 2010, 06:48
There was a story doing the rounds of a driver who returned to his car to find a big dent in the side and a note under the wiper blades.

The note read, "The people watching think I am writing my personal details".

Captain Stable
6th Jan 2010, 06:57
siti, that happened to a girl I used to work with. She returned to her car in a multistorey carpark to find a note similar to that under her wiper.

However, there was another note as well which read "I checked the note that bloke left after he had gone. He was driving a [insert colour, make and reg of car]", and the witness' name and address.

The culprit was traced, tried and fined something into four figures.

OFSO
6th Jan 2010, 08:30
My friend Eggy was a fine upstanding Dutchman. He bumped a young lady's car when out driving, she assumed it was her fault and was shaken up a bit.

Eggy took her into a neighbouring Bierstübe and bought her a drink or twain to steady her up, following which they retired to the house she shared with her parents to do the insurance paperwork.

As so often, one thing led to another, and somehow they ended up in bed in her room. When her father returned unexpectly, Eggy jumped out her window into the garden, his knees came up when he hit the ground and broke off his splendid new front teeth.

He explained this to us the day later as "I broke my teeth in a car accident".

Well, sort of......

Capetonian
6th Jan 2010, 08:39
Years ago I was driving my mother's car in the UK and whilst stationary at a traffic light the car behind gently hit the back of the car. We both got out to inspect and the damage was a broken light cluster and a dent. We were both surprised at amount of damage that the relatively light impact seemed to have caused but he accepted the blame, gave me his details and we went on our separate ways.

When I got back to Mum's place I mentioned it to her and she had a look and said : "Oh no I did that the other day in Waitrose car park when I reversed into a pillar ...." So I rang the chap up and told him, to which he replied that he'd already reported it to his company fleet manager and they were happy to pay anyway.

There are honest folk around. Or at least there were in those days, sadly in the UK today they are fewer, aggression and buck passing has become the culture.

corsair
6th Jan 2010, 12:28
Similar thing happened to me. A guy reversed into my motorcycle and snapped the front mudguard. He got out and apologised. He was in uniform, a member of the Irish Air Corps. He said not to worry he would have a new one made! Which was done and duly delivered.

In complete contrast years later. I was hit from behind while sitting at a red light and pushed into the back of another car by a clown in a Transit with bull bars. My car was a write off although neither of the other two had anything but superficial damage. By the time he reported it to his insurance company. I had apparently hit the other car first and then reversed into his van at a high enough speed to wreck my car. This I found out from the person I was dealing with in his insurance company who from her tone believed none of it but had to toe the company line. I rang him and he accused me of threatening him. Lost any faith in human nature at that point, let me tell you.

onetrack
6th Jan 2010, 13:08
My wife and I were sitting in a marked parking zone, at midday, in broad daylight, on a main road, and about 12 metres behind a parked bus that was disembarking passengers. We were looking into a cafe window to determine if the business was open for lunch.

Two young clowns about 20, in a 15 year old Commodore, slammed straight up our ar$e at 60kmh, without even barely hitting the brakes. The Camry got shunted so far forward, we actually hit the rear of the bus.

The interesting thing about the whole deal, was - there was a copper walking along the footpath, right about at the rear of our car. He was walking around the corner from the cop shop to get lunch from the cafe we were parked outside. Unfortunately, he was only a young probationary copper.
He DID lay into the clowns about careless driving and lack of care, etc etc ....

Fortunately, he was organised enough to get all the details - rego numbers, drivers names, etc - but he wasn't clued up enough to ask about sighting licences. The Camry was just driveable, despite incurring severe rear subframe damage (thank god for heavy duty towbars). The Commodore was a total write-off.
The young copper told us to come back to the cop shop later - whereupon doing so - we found he had filled all the accident forms out for me, and all I had to do was sign.

The car got repaired under our insurance policy - and then - about 3 months later, I got a call from the insurance company. The young bloke on the phone was somewhat subdued. He started asking if I knew anything about the driver of the other car. I told him I knew nothing about him at all, and asked why. He said - "We've just found out that he gave the name of a bloke that was in JAIL that day!!" .... :rolleyes:

This is the third time I've been hit in the ar$e - and EVERY time, the driver gave a false name and address. I've figured, that I made a serious mistake, as did the copper. I'm convinced the clowns in the Commonwhore were carrying drugs or contraband of some type - and that they packed themselves when they saw the cop - and their eyes were glued to him - thus running up our ar$e in brilliant sunshine, on a clear day, and on a dry road. I'm also convinced the driver was under licence suspension.

I should have taken the young copper aside, asked him to ensure that he confirmed the existence of a current drivers licence - and I should have also reminded him to search the car.
I'm convinced he would have found contraband - and I'm convinced he also would've found, no licence (or a mates licence). Unfortunately for the clown, he gave the false name to a cop. If he had given ME a false name, that's not a chargeable offence - whereas giving a cop a false name, is.

This episode has only reinforced my view, that EVERY time, someone hits you, they are doing something seriously wrong - speeding, drunk, carrying drugs, yapping on a phone - and EVERY time, they are likely to give a false name and address. One bloke was so well organised, one time, he even gave me the address of a vacant block.

In future, any time I'm hit, I will call the cops, and if they refuse to attend, I'll be advising that there are injuries (whiplash) - in which case, they WILL attend - and in which case, I'll be making sure that the cops do their job, and fry the deadbeat who has the hide to disobey road laws, damage my vehicle - and then hand out a false name and address, with the full intention of avoiding any responsibility.
That's exactly what these idiots are - irresponsible; lacking responsibility in every area, including attention to road laws, care for other road users, and a desire to avoid any cost to them, associated with the havoc they cause.

Ex-Speedbird, you got lucky - REAL lucky. Go buy yourself a lotto ticket, it won't happen like this again. :suspect:

lomapaseo
6th Jan 2010, 13:20
Ah ... human nature

A woman a block away from my house backed out of her driveway and got nicked by car that continued on turning into my dead end street. She followed after, loosing sight of the car until she spotted my car in an open garage (I was out walking). Since my car matched the description she called the police who promptly came to place me under arrest for leaving the scene.

I argued that I had not been driving that day and the police examined my car for obvious scratches. Finding some they began to counter my arguments until I pointed out that their own patrol vehicle was full of worse scratches. I also argued that I had witnesses that could place me in a store in another town that I had walked to. Then there was the argument against false arrest since the complainent could not possibly have seen me pull into my driveway and park in the garage but only had noticed my car on my dead end street.

I never heard back about this, but I did notice that one of my neighbors has a similar car to my own

corsair
6th Jan 2010, 13:48
Maybe the rules are different in Florida but here if someone backed out in front of you. It's their fault, legally as well as logically. Equally I can't imagine the police here arresting me even if it was my fault.

I agree with onetrack's assessment. Always call the police, if you've been rear-ended. Quite often there is something more to it. Plus even people who are who they say there are and who admit their fault on the day will go home and concoct a nonsensical version of events.

I actually called the police when I rear-ended someone. He stopped suddenly in the middle of a roundabout and I tapped him for all the usual stupid reasons. I was furious and felt it was a scam. His car was a piece of junk and it was surprising how quickly relatives of his arrived. His excuse was that he thought a car was about to come onto the roundabout ahead of him. So I called the police. Never heard anymore, there was little damage to his car anyway. But I suspect it was a compensation scam and they decided to leave it because of my rather belligerent attitude and the fact that I told him I thought it was suspicious.

Capetonian
6th Jan 2010, 13:52
I've been hit from behind 3 times. One was as above, with a happy ending.

One time the guy was so drunk he fell out of his car into the road when I opened his door. When the police came, he was clearly a well-known local character: "Yissus, boet, you nog 'n mal ...."

The next time was a chav in a white van in Sutton who gave me false details. I made it my business to track him down, as the police were not prepared to do anything, and have him dealt with by the insurers.

angels
6th Jan 2010, 13:59
A chav in Sutton?

What has the place come to? :(

Saintsman
6th Jan 2010, 16:15
Most people carry a camera within their mobile phones these days, so if you are in the unfortunate situation where you do have an accident, make sure you take plenty of photos of it. The damage to both cars, the road and any signs etc and also the other driver.

Just in case.

ShyTorque
6th Jan 2010, 16:36
My Spitfire Mk3 was severely damaged in a multi-storey car park in Wales, by a driver who tried to get into a parking space that didn't exist, then drove off. It was hit so hard that the rear offside wing and inner wheelarch were embedded right into the tyre, jamming the back wheel solid. I had to borrow a big hammer and a crowbar from a local garage to bash it out before I could drive it again. The police declared no interest in finding the culprit as it was deemed to be a civil matter on private property. It completely ruined our holiday, as well as the car, especially as in those days I could only afford third party fire and theft insurance.

As a point of principle, I would always declare myself as a witness if I saw someone else doing a hit and run like this.

Ancient Observer
6th Jan 2010, 16:49
ExSpeedbird.
Nice story. Made me smile.
AO

charliegolf
6th Jan 2010, 18:42
Wasn't me Shy.:ok:

But developing the point that:

The police declared no interest in finding the culprit as it was deemed to be a civil matter on private property.

I left a nightclub with my pal, the driver, and crossed the road to the car. It was one of very few in a huge open car park. Two coppers observed us, and the rattarsed bloke who staggered behind us toward his own car thirty yards away.

We got in, and before moving, he did a racing reverse arc to head toward the exit. Bashed into pal's Cortina, lots of damage. He slurred his details whilst pal yelled at the coppers to do something, mainly 'cos he was pissed.

They came over, had a look, made sure he gave details and announced that this was private property not the highway, and walked off, watching the drunk drive off down the road.

CG

con-pilot
6th Jan 2010, 19:02
siti, that happened to a girl I used to work with. She returned to her car in a multistorey carpark to find a note similar to that under her wiper.

However, there was another note as well which read "I checked the note that bloke left after he had gone. He was driving a [insert colour, make and reg of car]", and the witness' name and address.

The culprit was traced, tried and fined something into four figures.

I did the above once, I witnessed a young woman back into a car in a parking lot. She dead centered the passenger side front door and did quite a bit of damage to the door. The driver got out of her car, looked at the damage and then looked around to see if anybody was watching her. She didn't see me.

I realized that she was going to just drive off and I quickly copied her tag number and wrote down the type and color of her car. As I suspected she quickly left the parking lot and drove away not leaving a note. I put my name and phone number on the note and placed it under the windshield wiper on the driver's side.

The next day the police called me to verify that I did in fact witness the incident. After I affirmed that I did so, they thanked me and I never heard anymore about it, so I really don't know the final outcome.

Evening Star
6th Jan 2010, 20:46
As a point of principle, I would always declare myself as a witness if I saw someone else doing a hit and run like this.

Ditto for almost exactly the same reasons.

Not related to cars, saw something in Newcastle today that did a little bit to help my faith in human nature. Woman walked away from a cashpoint leaving money behind. Man behind, instead of quietly pocketing money, called and ran after her with the money ... feat made more difficult by snow now very icy. Nods of approval all round.

11Fan
6th Jan 2010, 21:06
What goes around, comes around.

Had someone bump into me. No real damage, no harm, no foul. Shook hands, parted company.

Several weeks later, I did the same thing, not paying attention, popped into someone else Apologized, exchanged information and then called the insurers. She was a little shook up, even though there was no damage to the car. Just in case I thought. Several days later, get a call from the lass I ran into. She just called to say she was feeling fine and no worries.

Promptly sent a bouquet of flowers.

frostbite
6th Jan 2010, 21:49
And yet.....

A couple of years ago I found a purse stuffed with cash and plastic on the floor of the supermarket.

Picked it up and took it to the information desk and was in the process of handing it in when the owner showed up. Didn't even thank me.

Capetonian
6th Jan 2010, 22:40
And yet again :

I found a cellphone in the gutter outside a hotel in Brighton, in the pouring rain, at 1 o'clock in the morning as I was parking. I put it into my pocket and in the morning on my way to the office it rang and a shrill woman's voice said : "' 'ere, you got my phone, innit."

I explained why I had her 'phone and that she could fetch it in Brighton in the evening or in Haywards Heath during the day. "Inconvenient ..." she said ... "but I better come to Haywards Heath it's less of a f***ing nuisance" ... and rang off as soon as I'd given her the address.

I gave the phone to the receptionist and told her to expect its owner. At lunchtime I went out and the receptionist told me that the woman had walked in, said : "Apparently you've got my phone, give it to me" took it and walked out. Not a word of thanks .... nothing.

I did however have the satisfaction of the receptionist telling me that she was fat and ugly. The looks matched the personality.

heli-cal
7th Jan 2010, 01:30
Human nature......

Three weeks ago my friend and I found a ladies bag on the seat of a bus shelter in Kensington High Street. I briefly inspected the contents to ensure that it wasn't rubbish, and when I saw the Blackberry, Nokia and a cashmere top, we walked the bag to the Police station a few hundred metres away.

Whilst the Officer was taking the details, the Blackberry rang and the PC answered it. Within five minutes an elderly lady, extremely distressed, came to the counter with her daughter and asked about the bag.

I explained that I had not looked at the contents, having seen the phones and top, and that her privacy (of the contents) had not been breached, the PC confirmed this.

The dear lady was so overwhelmed that she'd got her bag and all its contents back that she gave me a huge hug, and then had to sit down. Her daughter also thanked me.

On Monday, I returned to an outdoor equipment shop in Piccadilly to inform them that on my previous visit, they had undercharged me by £19, and that I had come in to pay it, having noticed it when I checked my paperwork later that day.

The manager had real difficulty believing that someone would actually return to do this, I'd brought the receipt which confirmed the error. I emphasized that I did not want the staff member whom made the error to be in any trouble.

At a supermarket checkout, I informed the cashier that she'd given my the wrong amount of change, she apologized and gave me a further £45. When I said, "No, this is not right!", she again apologized and began handing me more notes.

When I said "Madam, I gave you £5, FIVE POUNDS, not £50, you've given me way too much money!" she clasped her hands to her mouth, as if shocked. She then paused, and asked me why I'd told her!

I still don't know which of us was more surprised, her, because I corrected her mistake and returned the money, or me, because she asked me why I had done so!

11Fan
7th Jan 2010, 01:49
Well done heli-cal,

You should have no trouble sleeping at night. :ok:

lomapaseo
7th Jan 2010, 02:32
Well done heli-cal,

You should have no trouble sleeping at night.

but while were on that subject ... what ever happened to

"a good deed never goes unpunished"

ExSp33db1rd
7th Jan 2010, 21:12
I seem to have touched many memories.

The lad in my event turned up the next day to pay me the $45 and presented a $50 bill, I wasn't prepared to give him the whole lot back for his beer - as has been suggested - but I looked for a $10 note as change so that at least he could buy a couple of beers ! He refused to accept anything, told me to keep the change ' for my trouble '.

I've invited him to join my volunteer Coastguard Air Patrol on our next training day, and will give him a seat on one of the flights. Who knows - we may even get a new recruit !!

Next day, riding my motor bike, the pick-up truck in front of me in a one way street, pulled across my bows and started to turn into the right hand street that I too was about to turn into - no indication of course. There was no immediate danger to me so I let him continue without so much as a peep on the horn, but took up station by his rear wheel as we both turned - then was roundly abused !!

Can't win 'em all.

heli-cal
8th Jan 2010, 02:25
but while were on that subject ... what ever happened to

"a good deed never goes unpunished"

How about three good deeds getting punished!

When I was a kid my walk home from school took me past a row of phone boxes outside a Marks & Spencer store off the main road.

On three different days of the same week I came across purses, some with pension books, left in various phone boxes. Each time I immediately went to our local Police station and handed then in.

The third time that I went to the Police station I was taken into a back room and a Sargeant and PC began shouting at me, that I'd stolen the purses!

I asked them why, if I'd stolen them, would I immediately hand them into the Police station from where they would be returned to their owners, contents intact, and found in the places that their owners would last remember having them, and give my name and address!

The Sargeant's response was to strike me across the face with such force that it spun me off the chair and onto the floor, he then grabbed, dragged and threw me out of the building, telling me to f*ck off.

I was ten years old at that time and grew up believing that you could trust a Policeman. The Metropolitan Police proved me wrong!

ExSp33db1rd
8th Jan 2010, 05:12
My young son found a 20 pound note screwed up in the corner of one of the plastic shopping baskets in Boots. He asked me what to do. We went and told the cashier that we had found some money - amount not specified, deliberately - and would take it to the Police Station. The Mgr, suggested that that wasn't necessary, and he would ' take care of it ' - I bet he would.

The Policeman at the desk took all our details, and suggested that if anyone called and could positively prove that they had lost 20 pounds, not just some vague sum, then he would have to hand it over, meanwhile he was hereby appointing my son - aged 6 - as guardian of this particular piece of Police property, on pain of having to produce it on request, but if no one had claimed it within 3 months - it was his !! Of course that's what happened. A vast fortune for a small lad in the early 70's.

ChrisVJ
8th Jan 2010, 05:31
Mostly we get lucky but we had a senior moment this week.

Sunday in a Las Vegas Outlet Centre we stopped for a coffee in Starbucks. We were `disgussing`the stop as Mrs `Shop till you drop`was still going strong but I insisted. Afterwards we`d just visited one more shop when she realised she`d left her shopping, some underwear and a watch, behind her chair in the coffee shop. We raced round there but the staff and the people occupying our table had neither seen nor heard anything.

I was berating her somewhat for the loss when I realised how pointless that was.

`Ànd this comes from the guy who got his laptop and all our tickets stolen in Rome Termini`s restaurant!` Made her feel a little better!

ExSp33db1rd
8th Jan 2010, 07:18
I've long had this quirky habit of painting, or engraving, or in some other way marking my name on just about everything I own or carry around, my "things" are tools, not fashion statements, don't give a stuff what they look like, who cares.

All I can get on my reading glasses is my phone number, but after having unknowingly dropped them in the gutter getting out of the car one night in Auckland, I received a phone call from a stranger who had seen them and noticed my scribbling and called me ! By then I was home some 200 miles away, but she posted them back to me !

My little travelling alarm clock, that served me well for most of my flying career, has been posted back from more foreign hotels than I can remember !

Of course I've been burgled, and mugged, but honest folks can return things to you, if they know how to contact you someway. Those funny little self sticky address labels serve a variety of purposes, honest folks don't peel them off, they ring, or write. I leave things lying around like the best of us !

Capetonian
8th Jan 2010, 08:28
We had a lovely lunch and a tour of an ostrich farm near Calitzdorp in the Karoo last year on our way along Route 62, the inland and very beautiful alternative to the Garden Route. There are some good wineries on the way too.

Back to the point though, I paid by credit card and a couple of months later realised that the debit had never found its way to my statement, so I emailed the place with an explanation and my details, and asked them for their account details so I could do an electronic transfer, as I was then not in South Africa. so not able to post a cheque.

There was no reply but a couple of weeks later I received a phone call from the South African Police in Calitzdorp saying that they had Meneer ...... from the Ostrich farm in there and he thought someone was trying to 'verneuk' (swindle) him in one of those scams where people ask for your bank account details.

So you try to be honest but some people just don't get it!

lexxity
8th Jan 2010, 11:04
I remember once Mr L found a wallet and through it tracked the owners down, he called the bank on one of the cards therein and they called the owner and the owner called us. Mr L dropped it round to them, a journey of only a couple of miles but no thanks or anything. Just give it me!

Colleague at work found a full wallet, cards and a lot of cash, she called the owner to say she had it and would drop it in after her shift. Owner said Oh I have to go out to a kids thing, colleague said will put through door if you like. Owner said oh yes please. So she did and found a plant with her name on it left by owner to say thanks. :ok:

We found some car keys in the snow on Tuesday and thanks to lots of shouting across the green (well it is normally) the owner was found and his utter relief was thanks enough! He thought they were long gone in the snow and he'd have to wait until spring to locate them, car and house keys on them! Made me feel all good inside.

keyboard flier
8th Jan 2010, 11:58
Was doing the weekly shopping earlier in the week and whilst paying requested some cashback. The woman then tried to give far more than I asked for, when I pointed out her error, she said "oh" and handed me the correct amount and as she had closed her till drawer just put the rest on the top. A little surprised that she didn't even say thank you for pointing her error, and even more surprised that the guy behind me pipped up "I wouldn't have said anything, mate, should've just took the money and gone, I would've done". I thought how could someone admit that they would be so dishonest.
I suppose that comes from a lifetime of being a Scout.

smo-kin-hole
8th Jan 2010, 17:37
I hit the back of a car rounding a blind corner after it stopped. My fault. But the next thing I know, the driver says:
"My wife is hurt." and "My son can't move his legs."

I wasn't even wearing a belt and I broke his taillight on a full-size Chevy. He called the Police, Fire Department, and an Ambulance. I said almost nothing because something about it smelled. A few months later I found out that he had gotten almost 5K from my insurance company, had given a PO as an address, and was in fact a city bus driver. He saw an opportunity and ran with it. I'm convinced he was also fishing for a comment of blame so he could mix in a lawsuit of some kind.

I am not absolving myself of blame for hitting him, but there is no way anyone was hurt from that. I take pictures and say as little as possible these days.

On a lighter note, I've been slammed a few times since, but never bothered to report it, because my car was crap anyway. The other drivers are always grateful.