PDA

View Full Version : Australian Army Helicopter Pilot Wannabe

flying-spike
5th Jan 2010, 22:19
Morning all, my oldest boy wants to be an Army Helicopter Pilot yet year 11 at high school wan't all that flash. He is determined to lift his game this year. How important are his final year high school marks? He is virtually straight Bs taking all the hardest maths, physics etc as well as aerospace studies. Any advice appreciated.

Captain Sand Dune
5th Jan 2010, 23:58
I suggest you direct your queries re education standards to your nearest recruiting centre.
I see you're in Brisbane. Get him out to Oakey and have a look around, ask questions and get yourself known. At the interview stage he will need to demonstrate motivation. If he knows what types AAAVn operates, where they're based and what they're doing that will certainly help.
You may want to blow a few bucks and get him some flying lessons. Again, this demonstrates motivation. However I would recommend he doesn't go beyond PPL level before attending the flight screening program. He may not be able to ditch any "bad" habits if he gets too far along the civil training continuum. Nothing wrong with civvy training per se, but as the ADF is paying for his training and paying him to do it, they want it done their way.
When he is given a flight screening slot make sure he gets a haircut, drops any "attitude", learns how to tell the time and how to say "sir".

flying-spike
6th Jan 2010, 00:11
Thanks for that. I used to work at Oakey and he has been out there a few times. He is in Air Force Cadets (not much exposure to aviation in Army cadets). What I am wondering is if year 12 marks are paramount or would a demonstrated interest in Army aviation help make up any academic shortfall.

Cap'n Bunghole
6th Jan 2010, 09:13
Straight B's for AAVN??

He could make chief :}

Captain Sand Dune
6th Jan 2010, 09:32
Well, chief of Army anyway!:E:E