PDA

View Full Version : AGP X8 Should I be pleased?

Loose rivets
5th Jan 2010, 20:53
This has been a really good computer, but was one of the last to have the ribbon cable to the drives. With the following, I'm wondering if it's worth carrying on with it.

I have concluded that the graphics card in my HP is a poor relation of the FX 5200 that it reports. However, I see from the HP site that it sports a fading but quite quick AGP X8

But, I also see that the computer only offers 1gig.

Can this be true if I sling the old memory?

And is it worth spending on the fading AGP technology - Despite it being quick?

The point being that it's not worth slinging any more cash at this machine, but at the same time I need a better card to drive the 24" Samsung. My call I know, but pennies are scarce these days.

Good site this, but rather depressing reading.

Product Specifications HP Pavilion a640n Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English) (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00193422&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=426323)

Saab Dastard
5th Jan 2010, 22:41
But, I also see that the computer only offers 1gig.

Can this be true if I sling the old memory?

Yes, unfortunately. Max RAM is 1GB - it won't recognise modules larger than 512MB.

I don't quite understand your question about the graphics card. Are you saying that AGP 8X could be good enough but the particular card you have is crap? Or are you saying that there's a fault with your current card?

AFAICS, the current video card has only 128MB RAM - you can get fast AGP cards with loads of RAM (up to 1GB) for £60 - 80 (less in the USA, obviously). So yes, if you keep the PC you can upgrade to a more-than-adequate card.

It's a dual core PC, so even with 1GB RAM it should still be pretty nippy.

For general purposes, that sounds like a perfectly respectable PC (provided it doesn't have Windows Millstone - sorry, Vista - installed).

BTW - where do ribbon cables to the drives come into it? Do you mean it's PATA only, with no SATA? Or that it's 40-wire ribbon, not 80-wire ribbon and doesn't support the faster DMA modes? Or something else? :confused:

SD

Loose rivets
6th Jan 2010, 00:35
Thanks Saab Cables first.

I got mine a few days before one of my kids got an 'identical' one. I obviously got one that was right on the cusp of going away from ribbon cables to the drives. Mine has no SATA connection. Son's has.

But, as you say, it's quite brisk PC and I was pleased with it until seeing the picture at 1920 X 1080. I concluded that although it was better on XP, it was still nowhere near as good as when on the laptop with no dedicated video memory. Frankly, even on VGA, that was spectacular.

Are you saying that AGP 8X could be good enough but the particular card you have is crap?

My guess is that's right. The existing card it seems is listed as AGP X8, but clearly a cheap clone.

Also I noticed also that altering the settings to hi res seemed to slow the whole system down. I noticed that much more system memory was being used with the hi res. At first, I thought it was something else, but it was okay again after doing a Recover, and ridding the kit of the 1920 graphics drivers.

(Yes, that was the only way I could find to be offered >60hz refresh again! Nothing to uninstall, or any access to higher refresh rates or other monitors. Recovered, and it was fine. As mysterious as the arrival of the driver in the first place.:confused:)

I think I'll have to go the way you say. I'm on W7, and if a card had adequate dedicated memory, I feel that 1 gig would be sufficient for my needs. However, a nice guy at CompSomewhere, said that AGP would not support a DVI interface. Is this always the case? And if so, does it matter that much?

Bushfiva
6th Jan 2010, 01:20
Actually, Asus seems to think the motherboard will work with 1GB DIMMs for a max 2GB. Plenty of AGP cards with DVI out there, too. Should be really cheap now.

I see Amazon has stuff around $35.

Loose rivets
6th Jan 2010, 04:03
Ah, thanks for that. I often find that a beautifully designed web site is full of miss-information. The older type memory was very much more expensive here - just cos it's old. I'll have to look for that from afar as well.

I think that I'd feel that bit more comfortable with 2 gig.

Amazon? Looking. :ok:

Saab Dastard
6th Jan 2010, 10:40
Actually, Asus seems to think the motherboard will work with 1GB DIMMs for a max 2GB
Actually I would take what ASUS say with a pinch of salt!

I have an older ASUS mobo that says on their website and in the manual that it can take 2GB max (1GB in each of two slots). Well it doesn't, and ASUS finally admitted the fact in a reply on one of their forums (where a lot of pissed-off punters - like me - had wasted cash and time trying to get 2GB to work).

SD

al446
6th Jan 2010, 12:29
However, a nice guy at CompSomewhere, said that AGP would not support a DVI interface

Never trust a smarmy tw@t in a suit who is employed mainly as salesman, they are positively feckin dangerous.

Saab Dastard
6th Jan 2010, 13:13
As al446 so eloquently puts it, total 8ollox.

AGP cards can and do support DVI and HDMI interfaces, in addition to VGA.

SD

Loose rivets
6th Jan 2010, 15:22
It does sound as though I have to assume that the memory is limited, but if I can try some on return basis, it might be worth a go.

There certainly are some good deals about on the cards. I was hoping to get one of those on sale or return so as to hedge my bets. This I can do at the store, but at double the price.

I'm fairly sure that it will tide me over till . . . well, tide me over.:uhoh:

One is off to CompSomewhere in a moment. Better take a bit of cash and leave me check/cheque book at home.