PDA

View Full Version : Australian GA in winter

vore2008
5th Jan 2010, 14:45
Hi,

Im a PPL holder from Ireland, thinking of going to Australia maybe in April/May. I was just wondering what the aviation scene is like in general that time of year. How bad does the weather get or is this very dependant on location?

Do things like para-dropping/soaring slow down much over the winter? I had been looking at the possibility of getting some time doing either of these. In the case of dropzones, do they all tend to abide by the APF requirements for jump pilots?

In Ireland to tow gliders you need 100 hours P1 and to have gone solo in a glider. Are there similiar requirements down there?

Cheers,

Vore

Mark1234
5th Jan 2010, 15:17
Climate very very much depends on where in aus - it's a big country.

Top half has 2 seasons, the wet and the dry - the dry being winter, and by far the best time for flying. Bottom bit is more uk-like, dependant on weather systems running over the bottom half of the country; in between, it's - well, in between. sydney's generally clear and dry in the winter (ish).

GA keeps going.. don't know about GA employment. Glider towing is a specific rating - I don't know how you'd get on with reciprocal arrangements for any experience you have here if flying on an ICAO license. Jumping I don't know about. Don't know how you'll go with finding clubs that want tuggies, they're typically more club/volunteer run out there. Also they low-tow..

You'll need an ASIC most likely, and there's license validation requirements - get onto the paperwork and organisational side well ahead of time - expect it to take weeks/months.

frangatang
5th Jan 2010, 19:25
I bet it aint like last night...-10c. still, the Vans RV6 goes like shyte off a shovel in the cold, if you can start the bloody engine!