PDA

View Full Version : Cameras and Laptops

Hartington
5th Jan 2010, 13:54
I've been giving some thought about how to move my camera and laptop if hand baggage restrictions get worse. There are various cases which I believe will stand up to most baggage systems and protect the contents so, with a heavy heart, I would consign the contents to the case and....

Which raises two questions:

1) do I send it as part of my baggage allowance (yes, I know it means I may have to pay for a 2nd bag) or do I use a courier service? The particular journey I'm considering at the moment would be London/Madrid/Santiago (Chile) then various domestic flights (including Easter Island) and back to London the same way. I'm hoping I might be able to store the case in Santiago and carry the stuff in my camera/lapton backpack around Chile.

2) Insurance. I think I'll have to go to a broker but has anyone ever done anything along the lines I'm suggesting and have experience of insurance that's on offer? Ideally, I'd want to be able to buy replacement kit in Chile if the items don't turn up.

HuntandFish
5th Jan 2010, 14:13
try a netbook fairly light and at 7" x !0 " big enough to use but small enough to carry .

Hartington
5th Jan 2010, 16:22
I need a laptop.

I have an 11" Dell (only marginally bigger than a netbook) and it, my camera body, 3 lenses, various bits and piece, reading material and a change of "smalls" all fits in my Crumpler backpack and that backpack fits (e.g. a BA) template. So up to now I've been OK.

I am being pessimitic and looking at what Canada has imposed in response to the US dictats. Yes that is temporary (I believe) but I suspect we are now in a situation where such a ban could be imposed at short notice again anywhere in the world so I'm considering my options.