PDA

View Full Version : New GCAA Flight Safety Reporting Procedure (ROSI)

Dune
4th Jan 2010, 13:17
The UAE GCAA has launched an on line Reporting of Safety Incident (ROSI) website.

Press Release:

Effective 1 January 2010, ROSI to Create a Centralized Reporting System Across UAE Aviation Authorities;

GCAA introduced 24 hour/7 days a Week Duty Inspector on January 1st 2010
The General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) of the UAE launched an air safety incident-reporting program, the Reporting of Safety Incident (ROSI) Program, on 1 January 2010 as part of its new mandate to centralise aviation safety incident reporting across the UAE.

“We recognise the need to constantly improve processes and systems for managing risks effectively; a centralized reporting will ensure effective communication and coordination necessary for higher records of successful incident management,” said Ismaeil Mohammed Al Balooshi, Director Aviation Safety at the GCAA.

With the unprecedented growth seen in the country’s aviation industry, the new program underlines the GCAA’s commitment to deliver both safety and quality processes of world-class standards.

In recent years, several key initiatives and programs have been introduced by the GCAA to ensure safety of air transportation both in the UAE and across the region’s aviation industry.

However, experts in aviation safety programs believe the new centralised reporting program (ROSI) is a milestone achievement in raising air safety standards across a region that is set to record further rapid growth in coming years.

The program includes reporting of safety incidents through GCAA website using ROSI form. The GCAA introduced the role of Duty Inspector on 24 hour/ 7 days a week availability to act as a focal point for receiving information about critical or high profile accident/incident over telephone. The launch of this position coincides with the introduction of the ROSI program to facilitate the effectiveness of the program and a centralised air safety reporting system.

Al Balooshi added: “Along with high levels of growth and expansion comes increased challenges that require effective regulatory responses. The introduction of a centralised air safety incident reporting program will contribute to our efforts in maintaining a successful aviation transport safety record as a country, it will also allow us to monitor trends in the reports which will help in identifying possible risks to the safety of aviation in the UAE ”

To introduce recent initiate on the centralized reporting of safety incident (ROSI), Capt Saeed Rahman, ROSI Development Team Leader at GCAA, presented a session about ROSI program on December 28 at the Emirates Aviation College Auditorium, Dubai. The session was attended by about 75 representatives of the aviation industry who are involved in safety incident reporting.

The highlights of the presentation were, the importance of centralized incident reporting and the procedures to report through GCAA website.

If I am reading "between the lines" correctly (and do not in any way claim I am correct), it appears the GCAA has decided they are uncomfortable with the current ASR reporting method.

I assume the reason why is because they are aware that UAE airlines (I assume EK is the primary culprit here given it is the one I am most familiar with) who have used "editorial license" over the past 5-6 years in an attempt to "massage" ASR reports (especially fatigue related reports) to the company's benefit before they are forwarded to the GCAA.

This feels to me to be similar to the last time they looked at EK: when previous GCAA audit's revealed the majority of EK pilots were "exceptional" given the "5's" they received on each and every 6 month PPC. The outcome to that audit was the recent changes to the EK PPC performance grading system.

If this is the case, it is a landmark change in the flight safety culture within the UAE. Pilots within EK have long known their ASR's have been altered as they have progressed through the company's reporting system before making their way to the GCAA. This has led to a common belief that ASR's written within EK are only done to "cover one's ass" to account for a possible flight safety occurrence and in no way is written with the intent of truly furthering flight safety within the company (irrespective of Tim Clark's recent idiotic ramble).

No direction from EK management yet on how we are expected to work within this new GCAA reporting system but there is a link the the new website with the on line reporting format:

GCAA - Reporting Of Safety Incident (ROSI) (http://www.gcaa.ae/en/rosi/Pages/home.aspx)

From the website:

Details

ROSI : Welcome

Effective January 1, 2010, GCAA is launching Reporting of Safety Incident (ROSI) program through the website.

• Objective of the Reporting of Safety Incident (ROSI) is to provide timely and effective regulatory response through centralized reporting, technical inquiry or regulatory investigation when necessary and analysis of the data for safety promotion.

• As part of Safety Management System, data collected through ROSI will assist identifying hazards and associated risks in the air transportation system, which require short term or long-term corrective measures depending on the level of risks.

• As part of centralized safety incident reporting, ROSI shall replace existing ASR and MODR.

2. ROSI DEVELOPMENT

Over the years, various methods were used in GCAA for collecting information about aviation incidents and accidents. While recognizing the need to improve the process for managing risks effectively, following an internal and external consultation, GCAA undertook a project to introduce Reporting of Safety Incident (ROSI) through website. ROSI shall replace existing Mandatory Occurrences/Defect Report (MODR) and Aviation Safety Report (ASR).

First phase involved development of an electronic form, which can be accessed by all operators in the website. Most of the terms used in this form are commonly used by the operators in their incident reporting; as well meets the ICAO recommended taxonomy. There is an extended part of the form, which is designed for internal GCAA users for capturing information on major response activities.

Second phase of the development will involve harmonizing ROSI with any international standards and practices including categorization of incident, data analysis, generating semi-annual reports, and providing tools to the users to retrieve data for safety promotion activities.

3. REGULATORY REQUIREMENTS

CAR–OPS 1.420(b)(2), CAR OPS 3.420(b)(2), CAR 21.3(b) and CAR Parts V & VI

4. ROSI FORM – CONTENTS
PART 1 GENERAL
PART II - PHASE OF FLIGHT AT TIME OF INCIDENT / IRREGULARITY
PART III - AIRCRAFT CONFIGURATION AT TIME OF INCIDENT / IRREGULARITY
PART IV - METEOROLOGICAL CONDITIONS AT TIME OF INCIDENT / IRREGULARITY
PART V- AERODROME CONDITIONS AT TIME OF INCIDENT / IRREGULARITY
PART VI - INCIDENT / SAFETY ISSUE (Check all items as appropriate)
PART VII – AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE INCIDENTS
PART VIII - ATC INCIDENT
PART IX – SHORT DESCRIPTION OF THE INCIDENT

5. LOG-IN & PROCEDURES TO FILL-OUT THE FORM

Please follow the step by step user manual to submit a successful ROSI to GCAA Authority.

Click here to Download

6. TECHNICAL DIFFICULTY

For any technical difficulty regarding GCAA website access or submitting the form, please contact GCAA IT at +04 2111604 or email: [email protected]
(26/12/2009)

The key information above is the following:

ROSI shall replace existing Mandatory Occurrences/Defect Report (MODR) and Aviation Safety Report (ASR).

Given the above (and as the UAE GCAA issues my license), until further directed by EK I plan on forwarding all safety related incident reports directly to this ROSI website (you need to create a user name and password to submit reports; I suggest you all do so).

In addition, there is now a direct phone number where you can speak with the authorities directly on safety related issues. This is another key step forward to which I give a huge thumbs up to the authorities.

If they are true to their word (via the press release), this is a momentous leap forward in aviation safety in the UAE. I hope it is as transparent as depicted; only time will tell.

Safe flying.

Dune

sheiken around
4th Jan 2010, 13:28
At the risk of sounding overly cynical, I am so disenchanted with this place and its "rules" that I did find it quite amusing that they should call the new reporting system "ROSI".

It made me think of a longtime friend, ROSI PALMER, my what pleasurable times we had...:O

I do, however, sincerely hope that ROSI won't be giving us the kind of "hand service" that has been given to all EK pilots recently. Should this be the case, however, we will all go home with a smile on our faces !!!!

Here's to hoping !!!

Shk...

Instant Hooligan
4th Jan 2010, 13:29
Seems the EK tampering of ASR's has not gone unnoticed, lets hope this is what it appears to be.

IXNAT
4th Jan 2010, 13:54
Did I miss the "immunity" of self reporting into this system, much like the NASA system in the US? So how will the GCAA deal with, e.g., an unstable approach? What if you report fatigue? Should you have not flown?

Good idea, but give us some incentive to self-report for the sake of safety. Or did I just miss the immunity clasue?

mensaboy
4th Jan 2010, 16:53
It should be interesting to see how EK spins this announcement.

Probably a hint of intimidation towards pilots who choose to report in this manner or at the very least EK will delay its implementation as a means to continue unsafe practices for as long as possible. Either that, or EK will somehow be exempt from such reporting due to our ''already effective'' method of filing ASR's.

puff m'call
4th Jan 2010, 17:33
As one who never fills out ASR's because they are a waste of time in this company (EK) I will now do so, and forward them directly to the new site.

Let's hope this brings some changes to the abuse of EK pilots and the futiguing long night flights with only two crew. :ok:

Pitch Up Authority
4th Jan 2010, 17:49
It looks like the UAE DGCA wants the information DIRECTLY from the pilots themselves.

What happens next depends entirely on the authenticity of a few individuals and I have a feeling that they are in Abu Dhabi.

fractional
4th Jan 2010, 23:17
... and I have a feeling that they are in Abu Dhabi.Yest they are. But how long will all this new exercise really last? Will the 10 billion make it in Abu Dhabi, here in Dubai and across the UAE? Let's wait and see.

Kittty125
5th Jan 2010, 12:37
If you want to join in discussions about this part of the world at least get your acronyms correct. It's the UAE GCAA that deals with aviation safety - the DGCA looks after airports and the like. Muppet!

ruserious
5th Jan 2010, 16:58
Actually not quite, the GCAA I believe used to be called the DGCA around 10 years ago they changed the name to the current GCAA (http://www.gcaa.ae/en/Pages/Default.aspx)

The DCA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Department_of_Civil_Aviation_(Dubai))runs the airport

Kittty125
6th Jan 2010, 01:14
Fair point - but I was closer than him;)

airbusgus_2003
7th Jan 2010, 20:10
http://www.pprune.org/freight-dogs/258502-midex-airlines-23.html
Emirates, you think you have it bad?
Take a look at your neighbors governed by the same GCAA here in Al ain.

Plank Cap
8th Jan 2010, 02:53
Currently standing by for a response from EK management re. reporting direct to ROSI with a copy to the company........... can't wait for the reply!

Dune
8th Jan 2010, 14:21
Plank Cap

Good for you. Was going to wait until my 1st ASR (directly to the GCAA with a cc. to the company) but am interested to hear what you get back from them.

Make sure you pass any info along to us; would be much appreciated.

Plank Cap
9th Jan 2010, 07:07
Well deathly silence from EK Management so far five days after my request for ROSI feedback. Curiously the GCAA are also staying silent as to whether they too would like direct reporting. Perhaps one should not be too surprised.....

PorkKnuckle
9th Jan 2010, 07:17
Maybe the GCAA are quietly expecting pilots to apply the intelligence they are held to possess and take the hint.

This will save them putting into words the message they want you to receive.

Plank Cap
10th Jan 2010, 10:40
GCAA 1, EK Management 0.

That is to say, the GCAA department running ROSI have been kind enough to reply to my enquiries. EK's response is still awaited.

For all who may be interested in where the ROSI scheme sits within safety reporting verses EK's ASR system, the Authority's response included confirmation that ROSI has now replaced all types of ASR and MODR, and EK's Safety department is co-ordinating efforts for centralised reporting. The reply included a statement to the effect that reports from EK are already being received by the GCAA.

Although asked, there was no clarification from the Authority as to whether they wish to receive a ROSI report direct from the individual compiling the report. By implication, one might assume that ASR's will continue to go through the company's Flight Safety Department. That said, there can surely be no case for not filing a safety report direct to the GCAA should one feel so inclined, with a copy to the company for their records. In the absence of any response from the company it's a little difficult to know - one can only be guided by 'industry best practice' which to my mind would imply open and frank communication with the Authority. After all, enhanced safety is the stated objective............;)

According to the GCAA website an Information Bulletin on the subject is pending.

Plank Cap
15th Jan 2010, 08:31
Just in the interests of completion and fairness, EK have now responded on the ROSI issue, quoting that the GCAA's new safety reporting system does not replace or modify the company requirement to report by ASR when required.

Instant Hooligan
15th Jan 2010, 09:01
Maybe a reasonable suggestion to fill in both forms and quote the EK ASR number on the ROSI just so the GCAA know you have also done your company requirement.

Sciolistes
10th Mar 2013, 08:08
Just for extra double strength completeness, there is also the Voluntary Occurrence Reporting System.

Voluntary Occurrence Reporting System (http://www.gcaa.gov.ae/en/vorsy/pages/vorsy_eform.aspx)

Instant Hooligan
10th Mar 2013, 19:08
Puposcatiliano,

Shk Ahmed is the the head of the DGCA(Dubai) not the GCAA (UAE). The GCAA is the governing body of A6 reg aircraft.