PDA

View Full Version : Help

757_wannabe
4th Jan 2010, 12:29
Hi all,

I passed my mod 1 exams with bristol gs last may and i am now looking to sit the second mod this summer. Can anybody clarify how long i have to do the exams from start to finish?

Also, i have now not flown for a year so will my PPL still be ok for sitting the mod 2 exams or does it need re-validated first?

Many thanks

student88
4th Jan 2010, 16:28
You might gain a better response if you change the subject title to something a little more descriptive - I don't know the exact time scale but if you phone Bristol they will tell you. They know everything. I'm sure Alex will be about soon to let you know.

PIELORD
5th Jan 2010, 13:43
I believe you have 18 months from the start of your first exam....worth checking with Bristol or LASORS:ok:

Shunter
5th Jan 2010, 16:45
I'd recommend you sit down and read LASORS at some point. One would expect you to know the answers to these questions.

Unless your license has expired (5 years) or SEP rating has expired (2 years) there is nothing to revalidate on your license. Get in and fly... although an instructor checkout might be wise and will almost certainly be mandatory if you're renting.

As mentioned, all exams must be completed within an 18 month period. If you started last summer, you've got until Christmas this year - make sure you leave time for retakes, should you need them.

I've always wondered... Say you sat your first lot of exams in (say) Jan 2009, then did the second lot in May 2010 and failed one taking you over the 18 months. The CAA would try to say you have to start from scratch, but what's to stop you saying "Ah no... I decided in Feb 2009 to jack it all in and start them all again from scratch, therefore the May 2010 exams signal the start of my 18 month period" thereby retaining the credit for one session. Anyone bumped into such a scenario?

757_wannabe
5th Jan 2010, 20:27
Thanks for the responses guys. I called bristol yesterday to order the mod 2 course material and off the top of their head they did not seem to think it would be a problem. They also gave me a number to call at the CAA for licensing issues which i will have a go at tomorrow.

I will hopefully sit mod 2 exams at the start of June giving me a spare 5 months or so for any resits. Shunter, i was thinking the same thing as i was pondering a possible exit strategy if i was to break the 18 month period! Its certainly a grey area, although i am sure there have been people who have tried it previously (anyone out there? :rolleyes: ). Fingers crossed it wont affect me though.