PDA

View Full Version : 4 Jan 2010: Dubai's date with destiny.

gotoindia
4th Jan 2010, 08:05
Greetings Fellow PPruners,

It's 1pm in Dubai. For the next 11 hours or so, the entire world will be watching, as this tiny city state will unveil the tallest structure ever created in the history of humanity.

For this brief moment in time, Sheikh Mohammed will have the world as his audience. It will up to him to say or do something to restore the confidence of the global community in this place we know as Dubai.

Whatever issues you have with this place, please put them aside for just a little while, and objectively answer one simple question-

Can he do it?

abhi88
4th Jan 2010, 08:23
Can he do it?

:}Quoting one of his wife from last night with me "NO"...

Payscale
4th Jan 2010, 08:58
What do you mean with - " the entire wold will be watching"....!!?? Its just an opening of a real estate project. A tall one, but never the less not something that will capture the worlds attention.

Let me put it this way. Were you watching when they opened the last "tallest Building in the world"?

NOTHING can be said that will change investor sentiment. Investor sentiment is changed by positive constructive action

Gulfstreamaviator
4th Jan 2010, 10:10
This is the perfect moment to open the UAE's books, warts and all.

To show the tallest not yet finished building, and to show the world the "correct" way to resolve the problems.......

Will it happen, I honestly dont know...we might all be surprised....but I am not holding my breath.

glf

priapism
4th Jan 2010, 10:11
Didn't even know about it until I read it hear.

I guess Orstrailya doesn't count as part of the whole world.

powerstall
4th Jan 2010, 11:04
He needs all the free advertising he can get. :)

Saltaire
4th Jan 2010, 11:18
Only for a day, but on a slow news day it should be a very big deal around the world. Check out every news or financial website. They could use a healthy dose of positive news.

Gulfstreamaviator
4th Jan 2010, 15:02
8pm in UAE, watching Dubai one ...

Burj renamed........I wonder why......in honour of the new VC funding....!!!!!

standing by for the fireworks

glf

kennedy
4th Jan 2010, 15:13
Burj Khalifa!

How very embrassing!

Gulfstreamaviator
4th Jan 2010, 15:19
The seeding a few days ago worked......
someone was praying very hard......

MO did not look happy..........

great show.....

glf

S.F.L.Y
4th Jan 2010, 16:05
Burj Khalifa represents 828 m of glass and steel directly inserted in the butt of some Dubai VIPs. The ultimate humiliation comes from the fact that Khalifa didn't even bother to attend the inauguration of the monument he just "bought".

Left Coaster
4th Jan 2010, 16:13
Humph...shows how much you know about "Face" doesn't it?:rolleyes:

woodja51
4th Jan 2010, 16:17
Gee, you guys are quick not to miss that irony.:ok:.... gotta agree - renaming the largest phallic symbol in the UAE after the guy that paid for it really doesnt get lost on most of us I guess... have not seen or heard such a bunch of choc nosed crawly bum lickers talking ( on DXB one ) since I was in primary school..

I am offloading my DXB real estate so I for one hope :ugh:that maybe the usual economic down falls that envelop most nations that build the biggest towers is over and things improve... next biggest tower is in Saudi for next year ...lets see how that turns out..

WJA

max magic
4th Jan 2010, 17:31
Have to agree ! wonder what else abu dhabi got for their 10 billion ! .. bound to be the next big thing probably announced .... let me think ! ..... off the top of my head 10/10/10 seems like a good date !!

Nevertheless, hats off .. an cracking firework display !

puff m'call
4th Jan 2010, 17:41
Spent all bloody day sat at More Cafe right in front of Burj Dubai, oops Khalifa, just to get a ring side seat and lost sight of the building half way through the fireworks display because of all the dam smoke!!!!:ugh:

Could have lasted a bit longer I thought. Still good to watch. :D

Saltaire
4th Jan 2010, 21:59
Have to agree on two counts. What a low budget kiss off on Dubai one, and how embarrassing; Burj Dubai had a nice ring to it...no ring in that name change. :O

three eighty
4th Jan 2010, 23:25
Burj Abu Dhabi????

neilb767
5th Jan 2010, 02:27
OH thats great... arabian style politics, but then eh, if AD flipped the bill why not rename it to what they see fit...

Im just wondering, will china rename the USA as USA (SAR) :}

Bombay HF
5th Jan 2010, 03:16
I'm slipping in Australia at the moment and it made the news channels down here. The overall sentiment of the report was that it is an excess when Dubai is such a basket case. They did highlight that it was built by lowly paid Indian workers though!

onetrack
5th Jan 2010, 03:39
There's nothing like presenting the worlds newest and greatest phallic symbol, to restore ones ego. :rolleyes:

I think that a far more acceptable presentation to the world, by any Arab nation, would be a presentation of their desire to show the world that they can do more with their unlimited wealth than spend it on vast amounts of real-estate development, high rise, and excesses such as indoor snowfields.

I think the 3rd world workers, who built all this stuff, and who are treated like $h!t by Arab nations, would appreciate the Arabs spending more of their unbelievable wealth on assisting those 3rd world nations into better govt, better health regimes, and generally compassionate aid.
I may be speaking out of turn - they may already do so - but it's not something we hear about.

Dubaian
5th Jan 2010, 04:56
Abu Dubai - wait for it - you heard it here first.

Renaming the tower was either imposed on Sheikh Mo by his 'brothers' down the road. Or it was the world's best bit of brown nosing. Either way, it probably accounts for the bilious yellow dishdash he was wearing.

Tower Ranger
5th Jan 2010, 05:22
I am personally gutted, I would have thought since the Burj Tower was originally named after me I would have thought that they could have at least told me in advance rather than finding out like this!!

It`s come as a bit of shock I can tell you, Tower Ranger!!

S.F.L.Y
5th Jan 2010, 06:13
I think the 3rd world workers, who built all this stuff, and who are treated like $h!t by Arab nations, would appreciate the Arabs spending more of their unbelievable wealth on assisting those 3rd world nations into better govt, better health regimes, and generally compassionate aid.

Do you mean like our civilized western world which constantly assist the third world populations by massively investing in blasting "compassionate aid" (Iraq, Afghanistan, Lebanon, Gaza and soon Yemen)? As far as I know most of the bombs dropped during the last 10 years haven't been made or paid by Arab nations...

onetrack
5th Jan 2010, 08:25
S.F.L.Y. - I think you're missing something here. The nations you speak so generously about, are either hotbeds of, or actively assisting, in the fomenting of anti-Western terrorism, specifically fanatical Muslims who are intent on destruction of Western culture, and its replacement with hardline Sharia Law. These people need to be given the message, it ain't gonna happen, in the only manner they understand.

I'm happy to fund and support any war operation that bombs the crap out of people who are intent on rampant, random, destructive violence, that targets anyone (including innocent civilian bystanders) - let alone anyone in their way - and that includes moderate Muslims.
You seem to conveniently forget that these fanatical Muslims have killed, and continue to kill, more Muslims, than any Western country bombing campaign. I guess you believe these kind of people deserve support??

I guess you are also happy to support an Arab nation leader who calls for the total annihilation of one particular Middle East nation? - and which leader is setting out on a devious path to achieve the annihilation of that nation, via surreptitiously acquired nuclear capabilities? Or are you just in favour of continually sending rockets on an ad-hoc basis, into a neighbouring nation, to let them know that your major firm belief, is that indiscrimate murder is the only solution?

Trader
5th Jan 2010, 08:35
onetrac--not that I disagree......but I believe you are alluding to Iran. Iranians are NOT Arabs but Persians.

Jet II
5th Jan 2010, 08:46
S.F.L.Y. - I think you're missing something here. The nations you speak so generously about, are either hotbeds of, or actively assisting, in the fomenting of anti-Western terrorism, specifically fanatical Muslims who are intent on destruction of Western culture, and its replacement with hardline Sharia Law. These people need to be given the message, it ain't gonna happen, in the only manner they understand.

Perhaps if you stopped bombing the cr*p out of them they might not be so pissed off?

I guess you are also happy to support an Arab nation leader who calls for the total annihilation of one particular Middle East nation? - and which leader is setting out on a devious path to achieve the annihilation of that nation, via surreptitiously acquired nuclear capabilities?

LOL - how do you think Israel acquired her nukes? :E

S.F.L.Y
5th Jan 2010, 09:21
As far as I know the Arab nations which have been previously blamed for their abusive and indecent money spending are amongst the best partners of our western world. A lot of money might be flowing in the region, but some of it goes directly to our western nations and when I see how it has been spent over the last decade, I can't really say who should really be ashamed.

I prefer to see money spent on stupid fireworks than on weapons which are killing innocents based on bunches of lies constantly provided by the same sources for over a decade, especially when it ends on a peace Nobel prize nomination.

A moron tried to burn his underpants in a plane and we are again told to wage a new war. How successful were the previous expeditions? Has anything been proven regarding mass destruction weapons, anthrax or Bin Laden?