PDA

View Full Version : aer lingus checked bags allowance

heidelberg
3rd Jan 2010, 11:14
Am flying to MCO (Orlando) shortly and EI sent me a 'reminder' confirmation which clearly states I am allowed 2 checked bags FOC!.
At time of booking I was advised my Free checked bag allowance was ONE.

Mrs H and I are now considering checking in 2 bags each and if there is a request for payment for one bag I can show the confirmation which states I have a 2 bag free allowance.

It's coming home to DUB I would like to have the 2 bag free allowance so I can pack them with very cheap Orlando outlets clothes!

Anybody see a problem?

EISNN
6th Jan 2010, 13:01
Are you a 'Flexifare' ticket or a 'Low Fare' ticket? Flexifare ticket holders are allowed two bags each and LowFare ticket holders are allowed only one bag. You know how these automated emails can be interpreted a number of different ways ....... or maybe it's just me.

dubh12000
6th Jan 2010, 13:32
Would it have anything to do with the new security arrangements for the States? I know BA changed to allow 2 bags again.

mikeday
6th Jan 2010, 19:31
Does it say in your confirmation "2 bags free of charge" (as you stated above) or "2 bags EACH free of charge" (what you proposed to check in)

Just be careful as it depends on the wording....

heidelberg
6th Jan 2010, 22:55
On 16th December - pre Amsterdam/Detroit 'alleged bomber' flight - I received a 3 page 'Travel Advisory' doc.
It advises times and seats I reserved online.

It provides details of 'shorthaul bagage' and 'longhaul baggage (USA)'.
It states 'shorthaul baggage' check-in baggage fees apply and
that a maximum of 2 pieces per pax allowed on longhaul; all additional bags charged.

There is no choice of fares to MCO. It's all economy (excluding the 275 Euro for the Premier seating).

Frankly I believe Lingus have forgotten to update their 'travel advisory' reminder. I've just noticed the cabin allowance is at the 'old' weight of 6Kg instead of 10Kg.

Anyway I will have this doc with me and will produce it to show I am entitled to 2 checked bags without charge.

apaddyinuk
7th Jan 2010, 08:45
What does it say on your "e-ticket"! This is the legal document and this is what they will use at the ticket desk should you challenge it.

To be honest it sounds like you are deliberatly trying to cause trouble for yourself based on a "technicality" which can be overturned rather easily!

heidelberg
7th Jan 2010, 10:06
Point taken 'apaddyinuk'.

The point I'm really making is Lingus has not updated their 'travel advisory' doc to bring it into line with their new bag/weight allowances both for checked and carry on bags.

Re the 'technicality' bit it actually works both ways and in this case I could use it to my advantage by using the 'travel advisory' doc!

Anyway it goes to show Lingus is a bit behind other locos getting its act together - no surprise here.

Incidentally will I be lucky and NOT have EI-DUB on the MCO flight on this coming 14th. This is because it is the only '330' which does not have individual IFE in economy. Anyone with the 'inside' on this please?

mikeday
7th Jan 2010, 14:31
Quoted from aer lingus web site

Aer Lingus - Need Help - Baggage Information (http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1Support/helpBaggage.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0667340232.1262878001@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchadejflkgklfcefecfigdffgdfkm.0&P_OID=-536880753&Category=2#checkedbaggagefees)

Economy - 2nd and subsequent bag weighing up to 23kg (50lbs) will be charged.
Flexifare - 3rd and subsequent bag weighing up to 23kgs will be charged as below.
Business Class - 3 bags up to a total of 69kgs (150lbs) carried free of charge.2nd and subsequent bags weighing up to 23kgs (50lbs) - £36
Excess for all bags over 23kg-32kgs (50lbs-70lbs) - £36

apaddyinuk
8th Jan 2010, 00:27
Hiedelberg, was talking to a friend this evening who is a supervisor in DUB. Was telling her about your little situation and she said a few people like yourself have rocked up expecting to get away with it but they didnt. Just worth keeping in mind.

However she is a bit of a hard ass! :}

heidelberg
8th Jan 2010, 10:54
Thanks for that 'apaddyinuk'.
It is a fact Lingus are contradicitng themselves because all of you who pointed out their website states one free bag + 10Kg cabin allowance across the big pond are correct but their confirmation advisory received by me dated 16th Dec states the allowance is two bags for all pax + 6Kg cabin.
So technically I would be within my so called 'rights' to check in showing the travel advisory doc.

However I did say to Mrs H there is enough hassle already flying these days without adding to it. We will have one bag each.

Meanwhile Lingus should get their act together and bring their travel advisory docs up to date.

By the way anyone know if I will be lucky and NOT have EI-DUB on the flight to MCO next Thursday 14th? It's the only EI 330 not to have individual IFE!

apaddyinuk
9th Jan 2010, 05:38
It sounds like a simple error Heidelberg, Happens to the best of organisations. That email you received was probably sent out automatically and therefore they just need to be made aware that it is still being sent.

Im sure if you penned a quick email to them it will be updated in no time. I know I have informed my mate and she did say she has had a few people like yourself come up with them so no doubt she has or will place a report but usually the internal "report" systems take longer in organisations like that!

No point in being pedantic and blowing it all out of proportion!!!