PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to wireless camera

Forkandles
2nd Jan 2010, 22:19
I've got a Motorola Homesight system I bought about 5 years ago that I used at the old house after we had an attempted break in. It's a bit dated now, but it was fine at the time.

Recently got all the bits out of the box to plumb it in at the new place, but the receiver won't power up. Tried a couple of 12V power supplies on it, but it appears to be frigged.

So, is it possible for me to pick up the wireless camera feeds some other way, maybe through the wireless router? Don't want to bin it and get new kit if I can frig it and get it working...

Ta very muchly.

Nightrider
3rd Jan 2010, 07:32
As far as I understand the Motorola system it is an IP based wireless network. The receiver, like your broadband modem / router, has an own IP address with subnet etc... and the cameras log-on to the receiver. As long as you cannot figure out on which address these cameras try to communicate it will never work with any other router.
To power up your receiver you may have to check the power adapter, some systems require a very strong power supply with high amps, especially the little dated systems.

Check this one (http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Shop/Motorola-Homesight/) for details of your system.

Forkandles
4th Jan 2010, 05:40
Cheers Nightrider, but does that mean:

(a) throw them in the bin, they won't work without the receiver

or

(b) yes, you can get them to work if you're clever.

If it's (b), I'll draft in the IT geek from work. :ok:

Nightrider
4th Jan 2010, 06:45
you may have to contact the the manufacturer if you cannot find the manuals anymore. There is certainly a way to do a factory reset and use them with another receiver. Perhaps there is just a software you may need to tell your router where to send the signal.
These cameras will use a specific port; you may just have to re-route this port or even to open the port.
Why not give your IT, as you mentioned, one camera and have him play at home with it...a few days later he/she will want to face the challenge and it may work...
To bin is the last solution......

Perhaps the manufacturer has a solution.

Bushfiva
4th Jan 2010, 07:18
Homesight and the Motorola competitor were both made by Xanboo.