PDA

View Full Version : How often are you applauded after landing?

flyhigh744
2nd Jan 2010, 06:39
How often are you applauded after landing? If ever?

I'm just curious after I read in another thread the not so frequent use of applauding after landing?

I've only ever heard one applause and that was after we had encountered some turbulance on our approach.

Cheers

Super Cecil
2nd Jan 2010, 06:58
Your kidding or trying for a windup right?

MakeItHappenCaptain
2nd Jan 2010, 07:06
Sorry....My pax are usually still asleep until shutdown.:E

Hasherucf
2nd Jan 2010, 07:10
As a passenger I experienced it from a group of about 8 Russians landing in BKK. Thought it was some sort of Russian tradition .The flight was turbulent coming out of Phuket and bad weather as we landed in Bangkok.
Wasnt like the flight crew could hear them.

Howard Hughes
2nd Jan 2010, 07:32
Never...:{

VH-XXX
2nd Jan 2010, 07:46
I've been on a few aircraft where the pilots have been applauded for the landing. It usually happens when at some stage the passengers feared for their life usually due to mechanical issues or turbulence for example.

knightflyer
2nd Jan 2010, 07:57
I've never known the cardboard boxes in the back of my aircraft to applaud, then again they don't complain when I smack it on either!!:E

Farmer 1
2nd Jan 2010, 08:03
Only in Africa.

A most pleasant experience all round.

eocvictim
2nd Jan 2010, 08:08
Honestly, nearly every flight when I was in charter but I look 12 so everyone is nervous flying with me.

Plow King
2nd Jan 2010, 09:25
I've been on a few aircraft where the pilots have been applauded for the landing. It usually happens when at some stage the passengers feared for their life

Is that why I always get applause?!? :(

Capetonian
2nd Jan 2010, 09:40
It used to be very common on Alitalia, at least on the flight I most often took which was JNB - NBO - FCO. No doubt for the same reason as the Pope kisses the ground when he arrives after flying Alitalia.

The only time there wasn't a round of applause was landing in Nairobi on a DC10, we landed, landed, landed, landed, landed ....... there was total silence for about 30 seconds.

djpil
2nd Jan 2010, 09:46
Flying a Pitts into Oshkosh for EAA's AirVenture the tower said "nice landing biplane".

Capn Bloggs
2nd Jan 2010, 11:03
AA 331 737 overrun in Jamacia in Dec:
The plane landed and people started clapping. We saw the lights of Kingston. Then all of a sudden we didn’t see the lights anymore.

“I looked through the window and I saw white lines, so I felt I was on the tarmac, but it was actually a rough touchdown. The plane broke and we began to smell fuel,”

"That was a really nice touchdown, Bloggs. Next time, make it happen on the first half of the runway PLEASE!" :}

Global Xpress
2nd Jan 2010, 11:03
Got an appluase once after lift off out of Lord Howe, few days after they had basically a cyclone pass over the island. No flights for 3 days, some ppl were just happy to get off the island;)

BlinkC182
2nd Jan 2010, 11:06
Sorry....My pax are usually still asleep until shutdownYou sure they haven't passed out?
Maybe you smell bad?

ozangel
2nd Jan 2010, 11:12
I've seen a few - and yeah, its usually when they've been spooked by a good bounce, or something has caught fire. Or if the service was above par...

(Saw a fair few at Alliance? not sure for which reason there? Maybe it was just the oldies going to norfolk being polite, but that still doesn't explain why the paxing captain once joined in??)

On the other hand, it seemed to happen like clockwork landing in hong kong, and oddly, hervey bay...

YPJT
2nd Jan 2010, 14:25
A long time ago, landed in Frankfurt and the locals were, to say the least, rather overtly appreciative of the landing. The rest of us just looked at them and thought WTF?:eek:

redsnail
2nd Jan 2010, 15:20
Quite often with Russian, Ukrainian and German pax.

Personally, I prefer a tip :ok:

A Comfy Chair
2nd Jan 2010, 21:46
Only on one occasion - after a diversion to an offline port that no-one particularly wanted to visit due to engine failure.

The whole ground handling side turned into a shambles (due to incredibly bad handling from the ground staff and immigration), and after we finally got to depart, we had a round of applause on push back, another on rotate, and an enourmous cheer when we touched down at the original destination.

beaver_rotate
2nd Jan 2010, 22:52
Daily!! And not just because I am a brilliant pilot (FIGJAM on your toast anyone?) but I fly the Titan.

And the 146 was the same, it could be unstable 1000' long and there still would be claps allround. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Jet_A_Knight
2nd Jan 2010, 23:07
Southern Europeans usually.... it used to happen on Olympic.:D:D:D:D:D

These days where I fly, people are usually too self engrossed in getting their mobile on and getting their bags out of the overhead locker and line up at a closed door waiting to get to the gate.:hmm:

Kinda makes all the 'like a cat pissing on glass' landings I do just pearls before the swine'.:E

Wally Mk2
2nd Jan 2010, 23:21
I had an elderly lady once put her hands together for a few claps showing her appreciation that we made it safely onto the ground, only trouble is we where still a 1000 ft or so above terra firma. The few bumps experienced prior to ldg where the only ones she felt for the entire trip so she thought we had in fact actually landed, could have been the fact that she had not ever flown before & was over 90 yrs old!
Most of y pax can't clap, not easy to do when yr unconscious!:sad:

Come to think of it I did get some sort of clap before, although we weren't airborne:}:}

Wmk2

Ixixly
3rd Jan 2010, 02:21
Nope, my passengers generally jump out at the top with the bags on their back :}

Maybe i'll just start applauding myself instead! :E

737 wannabe
3rd Jan 2010, 02:39
I can recall two occasions my pax applauded: one was after a OEI landing, and one a charter with Australian university students. Quite uncommon I guess but can be a rewarding feeling.

TSIO540
3rd Jan 2010, 03:46
The trick is my fellow aerosexuals... you should brief your passengers to listen out for the 'good landing buzzer' (AKA: Stall Warning). If it beeps, the landing was 'good'. It works well in turbulent conditions... Muhahaha:}

Super Cecil
3rd Jan 2010, 03:58
That's unless some buggers stuck a stick innut to stop that bloody squeeling noise :8

airsupport
3rd Jan 2010, 05:43
I have seen it in Australia, but not on ''normal'' flights, only on an ''inaugural'' flight of a new Airline and/or new Aircraft type. :ok:

Dubya
3rd Jan 2010, 05:48
I usually get the clap after the flight is over....in the motel room...:ok:

mppgf
3rd Jan 2010, 12:12
Had major applause on two occasions.Once after a reasonably crappy landing in a turbo prop ( WTF ) and once after a diversion due to an engine failure on a jet ( major cheering on that occasion ).
The most memorable was the CM's Pa on arrival after a particularly horrible touch down ( by the bloke next to me :} )
" Ladies and gentleman please remain seated till the seat belt sign has been switched off,thats if anybody can walk after that landing ! If your mobile phone is in reach you may switch it on and call your chiropractor to make an appointment etc etc ........" :ouch:

Aerohooligan
3rd Jan 2010, 21:57
Every. Single. Time. :E

Nah, seriously only twice in 12 months, though as I get more and more time on type positive comments are becoming a little more frequent. Getting to the point now where I'm pretty happy with the majority of my landings (who cares what the punters in the back think, ultimately, they expect you to float like a rubber ducky and grease it on even with twenty knots of gusting crosswind and a TS directly overhead ;)).

hoggsnortrupert
3rd Jan 2010, 22:23
This so stated on our briefing cards, and the cabin crew are instructed to so notice any passengers that refuse or just do not clap upon landing.

Our airline in fact thinks this clapping to be so important to the mental well being of, and boosts the confidence levels of the flight crews.

All passengers that do not clap are first deprived of all their monetary and valuable items,(these are distributed 60% Capt,30% F/o,10% divided by the cabin crew) then evicted from the tube, and walked around the front and feed into the #2 engine.

This practice is under company review at the present time as the cleaning costs of all the red stuff sprayed over the outside of the tube is becoming cost prohibitive, as is the cost of engine replacement.

The pilot fraternity is upset with this proposed policy becoming redundant, that we do indeed fear for our jobs, as we made more from this perk than we indeed do from our salary.:}:}:}

( Any one we walk away from is a good one):D

H/Snort.:E

Pax57
4th Jan 2010, 00:26
http://movies.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/wesley-snipes-prison-taxes.jpg

Zoomy
5th Jan 2010, 08:36
Ive only ever had, " eh Pilot that puckin good landing eh'!:D

soseg
5th Jan 2010, 10:46
2004 flying into Denpasar, Bali in perfect weather, perfect conditions... perfect approach on the old Air Paradise... whole plane went into a clapping frenzy... no clue why

Deaf
5th Jan 2010, 10:51
MIL decided she wanted a flight in the Jab for her birthday, bit of a shock since she was against light aircraft since an interesting Beaver departure from New Britain 50 years ago.

She applauded on landing as she had lost her voice on the flight and couldn't talk for 3 days - FIL wants me to take her again.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
9th Jan 2010, 08:45
:D:D:D:D
Usually after something scares the bejesus out of them and I kiss it on. So if my ego needs a bit of tucker then about half way through the descent I shake the **** out of the yoke, feather an engine, push lots and lots of irrelevent switches and buttons then get everything back together for the landing.

I'll only do this if I can be assured that I'll be able to conduct a greaser landing.

FRQ CB

Seriously, twice... but that was my parents so it doesn't really count.

MakeItHappenCaptain
9th Jan 2010, 09:14
How about before departure?

Virgin flight (back when entertaining pre and post flight announcements were standard) and pax was running late. Entire flight was primed to clap with a big "WELCOME ON BOARD, STEVE!".
Didn't he look sheepish!:D

LOOP2STAND1
9th Jan 2010, 11:04
Italian pax more often than not unless you bury it in:E

MikeAlphaCharlie
9th Jan 2010, 12:56
Being on a GFPT I gave myself a round of applause when I didn't flip the fully loaded C172 during my first encounter with a real cross wind.

boocs
9th Jan 2010, 13:00
Not enough!!

b.

MakeItHappenCaptain
31st Aug 2012, 14:55
Know it's an old dredge up, but was on a Virgin flight to Perth a short while back and one pax started clapping after landing.
Not a rough flight, average landing...

Didn't that effort die a painful death....:\

Lancair70
31st Aug 2012, 21:32
As posted earlier, most of my pax get out at TOC but on the very rare occasion Ive had to land with all still on-board I usually get an applause or at least a look of appreciation that they're on the ground alive. Skydivers love getting into planes on the ground but Ive found the majority prefer to land on their own.

Spinner73
31st Aug 2012, 23:52
Every single time I manage to get all of the wheels onto the tar (which is, broadly speaking, most times), I give myself a little high-five.
I figure that the only reason we've gotten that far is because the 'plane knows what to do, so it doesn't make a significant difference to just let the yoke go altogether for a moment...

avturboy
1st Sep 2012, 00:13
The model a/c I fly usually give me the thumbs up when I get them back to the ground in one piece!

real ones are easy ... try a model when all the feedback you have is visual on what you 'think' its doing ...

training wheels
1st Sep 2012, 00:53
There's a bullet proof cockpit door as well as a baggage compartment separating the cockpit from the passenger cabin in the aircraft I fly, so can't tell if we get any applause upon landing. But if I do a bad one, I'll sure know about it from the cabin crew .. they're the first to give you an earful about it, probably because they're the first to cop it from the passengers. :\

Aye Ess
1st Sep 2012, 02:53
After a quite 'firm' landing a while ago. Flight deck door flings open,No.1 flight attendant "WHO did THAT??" Captain looks across to me,I try sheepish smile. "Well" says F/A "I want to have kids someday"...exit...door slams.

I guess I must have rattled her girl bits.

Hasherucf
1st Sep 2012, 06:21
Every internal Russian flight i took the pax clapped leaving me a bit bewildered . Flying Moscow to Bangkok most of my fellow pax were drunk on duty free. One girl got up cheering and clapping as we landed . Must be the uncertainty of flying in Russia ;-)

MakeItHappenCaptain
1st Sep 2012, 06:54
"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain speaking.
When I said to put away your duty free purchases, I didn't mean to scull the entire bottle of cheap vodka. Yes, Lindsay Lohan, I'm looking at you..."

"Brrrowwwfffff....."

"Cabin crew, can we have a mop and bucket to business class....":ok::}

Ovation
1st Sep 2012, 08:22
Can't say I've ever been clapped, but I have seen passengers of mine kissing the ground shortly after having prised their hands off the armrests.....

Could it be they are devout Catholics trying to imitate the Pope? :)

djpil
1st Sep 2012, 10:42
Flying into Oskosh for the big show, not a lot of talk as it is extremely busy.
Tower: "Nice landing, biplane."

Jabawocky
1st Sep 2012, 10:48
real ones are easy ... try a model when all the feedback you have is visual on what you 'think' its doing ...

Ahhh Airbus?

Lancair70
1st Sep 2012, 11:24
real ones are easy ... try a model when all the feedback you have is visual on what you 'think' its doing ... AND the model is coming towards you !

In real one's I was taught "its a good landing if you can walk away from it and a great landing if you can use the plane again"
In models, its a "good landing if epoxy or CA will have it in the air again that day and a great one if you can refuel, flick and fly again"

In_Transit
2nd Sep 2012, 02:24
First time (as a passenger) there was clapping at the end of a flight was one of Ansett's last ever flights. 2nd was after 3 hours of turbulence - the pilot tried climbing but we got stuck in it. I think everyone was relieved just to get on the ground and unshake.

RadioSaigon
2nd Sep 2012, 11:13
Used to be a fairly regular thing, at another time, in another place... seemed to be a mainly Asian thing. Sometimes 3 rounds of applause in the same flight! 1st apparently for finding the airport, 2nd for touch-down, 3rd for shutting-down! Mind you, it was an Islander ;-)

hoggsnortrupert
2nd Sep 2012, 22:39
I drive it onto the deck, let the seat bottoms compress their spines, then race to the gate, stomp on the brakes,pull the fuel levers, yell on the PA flt attendants to your seats, Passengers we've arrived,now grab your bags and get the F!@# outta this tube, we realize you have a choice in choosing to fly with us, and the company wants me to tell you they have enjoyed taking your money!
Those with service orientated complaints will be shot!
Please fill in the passenger feed back form prior to leaving this machine, and give to the purser at the door::E:E:E:E

H/Snort.

Bluemeaway
4th Sep 2012, 00:01
Vonderbar!

outnabout
4th Sep 2012, 10:46
Aye Ess - and I am guessing from that reaction her girly bits were not rattled in a good way???:}

Runaway Gun
4th Sep 2012, 17:05
And that 'clapping' noise from the cockpit was something far more sinister ;)

KRUSTY 34
4th Sep 2012, 22:32
F/O did a shocker one night (I make my fair share as well), but short of a write up, this one was reasonably memorable.

As we're backtracking the runway, he asks me why I'm grinning. "Well" I said, "you're the poor silly bugger standing at the foot of the stairs as they all get off"

Nobody said anything (probably still in shock), until this big gruff bloke in a business suit fronts my poor hapless F/O. "Jesus bloody Christ mate! Did we land, or were we shot down?" to which the F/O responds, "I sincerely appologise sir, but the Captain is having a bad day".:eek:

The big bloke looks up at me in the cockpit, gives me a glare, and walks off shaking his head. :sad:

The F/O then looks at me and grins. Touché. :E