PDA

View Full Version : Dubai Rain

Gulfstreamaviator
2nd Jan 2010, 06:33
Global warming is attacking Dubai.

The area around MOE was well flooded yesterday.

The Mall actually flooded too.....the buildings surface water drains are not capable of removing the rain......so stores suffered flooding, store rooms etc, etc.

The escalator in Debenhams was converted into the latest water slide feature of Ski Dubai.

The sailing club in RAK, "suffered" from the fantastic on shore winds.

We delayed our trip until today, as the float mod was not GCAA approved.

glf

ab33t
2nd Jan 2010, 13:33
That is surprising I have never seen rain there

Tower Ranger
2nd Jan 2010, 14:29
We were at a friends place in the Springs and we had 2 minutes of hail stones there yesterday. Now that is something I really didn`t expect to see here.

three eighty
2nd Jan 2010, 14:38
Wet sand, great for taking the 4 X 4, Quad or Dirt Bike out into the desert. Bring on some more...

float flyer
2nd Jan 2010, 16:22
"I am very sorry sir, but you cannot sit on the balcony today, it might be raining":}

This could go in the "you know you've been in the ME too long when....":

You use your hazard lights when driving to let others know it's raining...:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Da Do Ron Ron
2nd Jan 2010, 17:52
Not in UK over Xmas it wasn't ............

Dubaian
3rd Jan 2010, 05:44
Golf balls falling from the sky aka huge hail stones ARE a possibility here. May not have happened this storm but in the early 80's my brand new car in Rashidiya (next to the DXB Airport) looked as though it had been gone over with a ball pein hammer.
Global Weirding - you better believe it.

S.F.L.Y
3rd Jan 2010, 07:29
It's winter in DXB and temps are between 25 to 30 C these days. Pretty much like a summer in Europe where storms and hailstones are common, I don't see why CBs in the region wouldn't be able to carry the same energy and produce hail.

Now as far as the global warming is concerned I think you should look at this year's El Nino which is quite intense and also affect the global climate.

Let's keep talking about the CO2 just like industrialized governments are willing instead of raising concerns about other forms of pollutions. Who knows, we might end up cutting all trees as they are the first CO2 producers...

GMDS
3rd Jan 2010, 08:43
Trees are CONSUMERS of CO2!
They produce oxygen, at least as far as what is left from my poor western education.
But I guess even that is different in this country, but S.L.F.Y will explain it to us ignorants who don't understand local culture.

parabellum
3rd Jan 2010, 09:45
Very heavy rain and sometimes hail is not uncommon in the Gulf. As far back as 1969 I can remember serious rain storms, not every year but most. In AUH the drains could not cope and the sewers flooded! Lovely!:(

sheikmyarse
3rd Jan 2010, 10:16
Thank you S.F.L.Y...what a relief. I'm not part of the same category you belong to. IDIOT!!

PorkKnuckle
3rd Jan 2010, 10:52
I see the big red "EMIRATES" sign is partly offline again due to the rain. Same as last season when it read

EMIR*TE*

or something like that.

No doubt wired up and silastic water-proofed by the same guy who weather-sealed the Mall of Emirates and all the leaking villas in town.

What an embarrassment. Emirates got what they paid for yet again. Will they ever learn? I hope not, it's too funny and not much else to laugh at at work, especially with TCED leaving us.

Although admittedly it's not so funny when the ceiling falls on some poor Korean chick or glass panes are falling into the atrium... all installed by the same cheapest contractor as the one who water-proofed the red sign.

411A
3rd Jan 2010, 12:55
Very heavy rain and sometimes hail is not uncommon in the Gulf. As far back as 1969 I can remember serious rain storms, not every year but most.

Yup, common throughout the 1970's as well.
Nothing especially new....except for the younger crowd.:}

kilwhang
3rd Jan 2010, 12:58
In 1969 I was based at, what was then, Royal Air Force Sharjah. One day we experienced a storm with hailstones that were, genuinely, as big as golf balls. We had a Shackleton sitting on the dispersal and, when we inspected it afterwards, the upper surfaces looked like they had been attacked by a bunch of crazy, ball-pein-hammer-wielding, fitters.
Although it didn't look too good it was deemed, after the ailerons and elevators had been changed, 'fit for flight'.
The crew who flew it said it handled very well (in a Shackleton sort of way) and were convinced that the 'dimples' had, in fact, contributed to enhanced laminar flow. :)

OK, I'll put my sand-bag away now..............