PDA

View Full Version : Qantaslink Minimum Requirements

AllInGoodTime
1st Jan 2010, 07:49
Hi All

Can anyone shed some light on the education requirements for Qlink.

On the website for education it says you just have to have HSC / Yr 12.

It doesn't mention English or Maths anymore. I have my HSC equivalent and English, but not maths. Does anyone know if Qlink make it a requirement to have Maths?

Cheers

Under Dog
1st Jan 2010, 08:04
Qlink are well known to change the height of the bar when it comes to availability of suitable applicants.

Regards The Dog:ok:

clinty83
7th Jan 2010, 10:14
AllInGoodTime

G'day mate. From what I understand Qlink consider the equiv to be passes in HSC maths and english. I picked up my highschool maths through a brilliant maths teacher that Qlink/Qantas speak highly of. His name is Dr Steven Holding. He holds maths courses at St Lucia uni in Brisvegas.

2 downsides. He only hold he course 2 or 3 times per year that usually fill up in advance and;

From memory the course costs about $1500:eek:

It was a tough course and I would recommend staying near or at the uni for the month long course. **** loads of study that must be done otherwise you'll be left at the gate by the 3rd day. If you need any mor info PM me and I'll try and help you out.

clinty83:ok:

tarmac12
7th Jan 2010, 23:55
I just completed my High School Cert through Distance Education Centre Victoria. The DECV sent all my class work home and I could do it in my own time and post it in every week or close enough.
It gives you a recognised Victorian Certificate of Education result. Not an equivalent as most other courses do. Most states have a scheme similar. I did it because I noticed more than a couple of aviation companies require Yr 12 or equivalents these days. I left after Yr 10 so I came to the conclusion that to stay competitive and have minimum reqs I had to do it.

The best thing was it only cost $400 a subject. Much cheaper than the short intesive courses.

PM if you want details

The_Pharoah
8th Jan 2010, 00:02
something I'm confused about...it says Year 12 level maths OR a fully completed bachelors degree. Is this the case or do you still need an equivalent maths course even if you do have a completed degree in something other than science?

Orion Delta
8th Jan 2010, 00:48
Why don't you write an email asking them to specify more on their educational requirements ? It couldn't hurt :)

The worse thing that could happen is that they don't reply.... or .... you may even get an answer - win

AllInGoodTime
9th Jan 2010, 03:38
Thanks for your responses. Yes have heard of Dr Steven Holding, but have no time to go to Brisbane. My only option is a distance course that I can do in my own time. I have heard people mention some maths courses that are all course work and no exam. Is anyone aware of these courses.

Cheers

Jazzy78910
10th Jan 2010, 20:51
The way I've always thought of these kind of requirements is that they are looking for proof that you can effectively learn (ie: passes in maths, or a bachelor degree). The first thing you'll do upon joining QLink is an extensive course to bring you up to company standards, which they'll want to be sure you are capable of.

tarmac12
12th Jan 2010, 22:40
The Minimims that operators ask for are based on the amount of applicants they get each year. If the market is tight then minimums get lower and lower. If its a market saturated with drivers then the mins go up. All about supply and demand. Could you imagine how many app Qantas would get if they only wanted passes in Maths and English at Yr 10? Alot of very good pilots left school before completing yr 12 and are right now very senior check and trainers with domestic and international carriers. Having a degree doesn't mean squat!

Cheers

Spinnerhead
13th Jan 2010, 02:49
Having a degree doesn't mean squat!

A statment typically made by somebody who doesn't have one!

j3pipercub
13th Jan 2010, 03:05
And tarmac, weren't you just driving up north looking for work? Already an expert?

PaulDamian
13th Jan 2010, 05:07
I've only got yr10, but I have a law degree and a few other diplomas and things. I don;t think that my quals will be very relevant, so I expect that I'll need to do some kind of maths.

NAMPS
13th Jan 2010, 05:34
I did a BSc (Math) majoring in multivariate and vector calculus. It meant jack **** for my career in aviation.

mr.tos
15th Jan 2010, 07:26
Qlink only require a HSC, no specific subjects.

Mainline require HSC English and maths (not the basic one) or a degree in any discipline.

Apollo2010
15th Jan 2010, 12:55
NAMPS, so you didn't find that having the degree made you stand out a bit? helped get your foot in, at least so that they could hear you out?

Track5milefinal
15th Jan 2010, 23:27
So if you hold an ATPL with min reqs yet you haven't completed your HSC they will knock you back.... what a joke:}

Orion Delta
16th Jan 2010, 05:05
No not a joke, if you don't have your H.S.C, they will choose from many of the other candidates who have the H.S.C with completed A.T.P.L subjects.

It is a realistic requirement.

tarmac12
16th Jan 2010, 07:19
Recruitment is something I have experience in as I worked for a Recruitment Company for two years. I'm know most industries change the minimums as supply and demand for labour changes.
No I dont have a degree but have had many conversations with people who have expressed a view that doing a degree in whatever field they choose ended up being of little value when they entered the job market. (except engineers and finance of course where its mandatory). The point I was trying to make was that you dont have to have a degree to be succesful in aviation. I dont think my level of experience can exclude me from making that statement.