PDA

View Full Version : Vista! checkdsk saga

glad rag
31st Dec 2009, 15:56
Hello

Has anyone got a solution to the vista update/checkdsk saga?

Tarq57
31st Dec 2009, 22:08
You could use XP. Or 7.:}
But seriously, what is this saga of which you speak?

boguing
31st Dec 2009, 22:41
Not come across it myself, but is this any use? Chkdsk will Not Run at Startup in Vista - Vista Forums (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130824-chkdsk-will-not-run-startup-vista.html)

Loose rivets
1st Jan 2010, 06:42
You might search my posts about 6m back, I had chkdsk run while in W7 and it caused chaos on the other physical drive.

I lost hundreds of photos. The other, older, drive was perfect until this happened, and touch wood, has been perfect since reformatting it.

mad_jock
1st Jan 2010, 09:50
Vista really is a pile of steamy poo.

I would bite the bullet and go for an upgrade as well.

Although I am now the owner of a new laptop because it was 50 quid more expensive to buy a new laptop than buy a copy of win7.

Loose rivets
1st Jan 2010, 17:50
That's an amazing factoid. :ok:

mad_jock
1st Jan 2010, 18:09
Please don't fiddle LR. Pretty please

Ancient Observer
2nd Jan 2010, 15:46
LR - please do fiddle. As you are one of the few in this world with the ability to make things electrical/mechanical behave worse than they do for me, your tales of "fiddling" and sometimes partial recovery are always worth a read.
However, mad_j is probably right - you're not on this planet for our entertainment.

Loose rivets
2nd Jan 2010, 17:16
When one still had a brain, I would always get to the deepest, most hidden, far-fetched - and dragged all the way back to reality - type answers to problems. Another reason that motivated me was that people used to pay me a lot of money to do this.

Now, when I look at the modern world, I wonder just how people have time to do any work on the machines they master so well.

I've proved that in my 60s, I could teach electrics, engines and flight-systems in a way that would let people really understand them, rather than just be able to jump through hoops with multi-choice box ticking.

However, I always found that I took twice as long to learn things than the average person, so now with a tired old brain, the vase sea of problems that beset the modern user, at my rate, would take longer to master than my projected life-span. And that's a literal statement.

However, I still have the same core interests in these subjects, so there's a mixture of avid detail-seeking and mind-boggling overwhelm-ment.

I'll come back to the forum on the monitor issues, because that may be of interest to others. I did in fact phone B*** B**'s Geek squad about my monitor issues, and they said the it must be faulty, but MS seemingly had a way of 'fixing' it from afar. If I'd not persisted, it would have been lying on the floor with all the other returns. However, there has to be a line drawn, if I'm to write a word of me novel today on this machine that runs so well. ;)

mad_jock
2nd Jan 2010, 18:40
Sorry LR that post was meant to be tongue in cheek.

Crack on fiddling.

To be honest I have not got a single qualification in IT or networking.

I learn't by fiddling, breaking things, fixing them again. Then I discovered people were willing to pay me for fiddling with things, in fact big things, things that used lumps of metal in space to talk to each other. Payed you silly amounts of money to do it as well.

Now I am a pilot, still fiddling with IT networks when things go wrong.

Actually I quite like this forum because there are some good "think outside the box" problems crop up. Its taken me back ten years to the stuff I used enjoy about IT. You could do it all the time as a contractor but the life of a permy IT admin didn't look a very pleasant one.

glad rag
4th Jan 2010, 18:24
:D

However, I still have this bloody annoying run chckdsk message (despite having done so until 6AM), I am still receiving reboot to install updates message windows--the same updates that fail to install, and I am losing patience with a 4 month old machine Dell!

Anybody got any clues?

gr.

green granite
4th Jan 2010, 18:43
Boot into safe mode and roll back to previously known good.