PDA

View Full Version : Southern North Sea INDE???

atcomarkingtime
29th Dec 2009, 14:38
Just a question for you Southern North Sea drivers....had a heli yesterday from Leman and was told he was going to the Inde...but actually went to the Bessemar. When the aircraft lifted, I queried it and was told you guys class the Bessemar as the Inde....didn't help me that day as we had a few other aircraft around....
So....as we in ATC dont use the "numbers" for rigs and just fields...why cant we say Bessemar for the Bessemar?:ugh:

Camp Freddie
29th Dec 2009, 16:48
I think both are right, the bessemer is the 23E as i recall which is an inde number, but personally when I go to the bessemer I say bessemer.

regards

CF

atcomarkingtime
29th Dec 2009, 17:44
Yeah...we prefer names of rigs....got into a discussion on frequency with the pilot but not sure I was going to win it!!! As our maps on sector have the names on it...makes it easier sticking to names and not numbers....Bessemar:ok:

212man
29th Dec 2009, 23:00
It's been a few years now, but I'm pretty sure we (BHL out of North Denes) used to call the number too. I'm sure we didn't just say "Leman" or "Indie."

Farmer 1
30th Dec 2009, 07:58
It's BESSEMER! Pay attention, Atcomarkingtime!

atcomarkingtime
30th Dec 2009, 10:57
FARMER....oops...sorry (ha...never said sorry to a pilot before!!!)....I always just write Bes on my strips....that and Inde just wont fit anymore letters!!!

Farmer 1
30th Dec 2009, 11:04
Question, Atco...

How do you deal with the Conoco platforms? It seems general for virtually everything in their area of the southern North Sea to be referred to as the Viking Field, even though fewer than half the platforms belong to that field. LOGGS, for instance, is not in the Viking Field.

atcomarkingtime
30th Dec 2009, 14:54
h...the best...we do just call it VIK or VAl....it is a big area too.....and dont get me started on Clipper....hehehe

A heli pilot just made my year..."Radar...can you say again the service...I forgot the QNH...only one of us is flying the aircraft".....I could picture a very happy cockpit!!!;)

Blue Rotor Ronin
30th Dec 2009, 20:52
Loggs is in the Viking field. Said driver may have been describing his destination in 'field' terms. My advice is if it's anywhere near you, ask; either on radar or the relevant field frequency.

RedWhite&Blue
30th Dec 2009, 21:18
I thought the LOGGS sometimes known as the PA or Papa was actually named the Valiant North. Somewhere in there is a clue to the name of the field and I'm sure it's not the 'North' bit.:ok:
Of course we know the LOGGS is a 'system'. So maybe the whole of the Lincolnshire Offshore Gas Gathering System consitutes more than just the PA.

Hummingfrog
31st Dec 2009, 11:32
The LOGGS radioman (LOGCO) is based on the LOGGS Gathering station whose helideck is on the PA callsign PAPA helideck - not VIKING P.

The Viking field is based around the B Complex (Viking Transportation System or VTS) and comprises of the Viking AR, CD, DD, ED, GD, HD, KD, LD and VICTOR JD.

I always wonder if the Conoco manager who named the rigs in this area is/was an aircraft buff - as a lot of the rigs are named after aircraft beginning with V. Viscount - Vanguard - Valiant - Vulcan - Viking - Victor:)

HF