PDA

View Full Version : APACHE

Mickj3
29th Dec 2009, 06:24
My son gave me the Apache book for Xmas. It's written by Ed Macy, one of the AAC aircrew who went on the rescue mission with the marines hanging on to the wings. A cracking good read and he does'nt pull any punches either. Highly recommended.

spindrier
29th Dec 2009, 19:51
Ed getting your cousin to write reviews for you is a bit sly!

ronnie barker
29th Dec 2009, 20:32
he was a good apache pilot.

MightyGem
31st Dec 2009, 13:56
...still is.

Yes I know he's left but couldn't resist.

RotaryWingB2
31st Dec 2009, 16:52
Ronnie,

Quit yapping and get that f**king cab out!:mad:;)

We had a few good pilots... non of them can drink though... especially ones from up north that live with their mums.:E

Gainesy
1st Jan 2010, 09:12
Did Ed Macy write a second book as a follow up to Apache?

Gnd
1st Jan 2010, 09:50
I think we should stick to amazement that he managed the 1st!!!! And who said he could fly???

STANDTO
1st Jan 2010, 11:12
He wrote Hellfire as well, which is like episode 1 to 'Apache' being Episode 2. covers how he ended up in the AAC and the early stuff in the Sandpit.

Nearly finished it. £ 10 in hardback from Waterstones.

I.P Stop
2nd Jan 2010, 14:58
I think Hellfire is better than Apache -
:cool:
If you liked Apache then try Hellfire and if you like both those then you should read Apache Dawn, it is also a great book.

Ali Barber
2nd Jan 2010, 18:58
As a blue suited fast jet type, got to admit Apache was a damn good book! Would recommend it it to anyone.

fallmonk
3rd Jan 2010, 11:54
Just a quick side note Amazon is doing both very cheap(cheaper than Asda and Tesco)
Apache: Amazon.co.uk: Ed Macy: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apache-Ed-Macy/dp/0007288166/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262523134&sr=1-2)
Hellfire: Amazon.co.uk: Ed Macy: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hellfire-Ed-Macy/dp/0007288190/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262523190&sr=1-1)

wahwah64
5th Jan 2010, 08:34
How about applying for pilot training, complete CTT and help us shorthanded guys and girls out!!!
:ok:

Nearly There
6th Jan 2010, 20:43
Currently reading and enjoying this book, however I as a mere fixed wing pilot and not famil with helos, have a question.

The author mentions when on finals the stub wing tilts forward to lower the nose, I would have thought the leading edge tilts upwards to increase lift allowing the nose to pitch down to increase forward vis?

Can anyone clear this niggling doubt up for me...cheers folks

HEDP
6th Jan 2010, 21:36
Nearly,

You are correct but it is the stabilator at the back end and not the stub wing that has this effect.

The trailing edge goes down therefore the leading edge goes up and in the hover this is merely ensuring that the downwash from the main rotor is not hitting the flat surface of the stabilator thefore it doesn't pitch the nose up. In forward flight the airflow hits the underside of the stabilator and forces the nose down if you manually select the stabilator tail down/nose up. In normal automatic mode the stabilator is angled for you to best effect to keep the aircraft level therefore at high speed it can be nearly horizontal.

Hedp

Four Wings
6th Jan 2010, 22:17
Without detracting from "Apache's" skills, it was ghost written and Ed Macy is not the real name as in common with all Afgansi Apache crews they have to go through a name change (Taliban inspired targets even in UK).

Nearly There
6th Jan 2010, 22:42
HEDP thanks for that. Clears it up nicely.

jessie13
7th Jan 2010, 00:57
If he is still an Apache pilot, wont the secret be out about his "medical condition" prior to joining AAC?

Babaleka
7th Jan 2010, 02:07
Apologies if I am wavering from the thread but Surely not ? I always felt that the emotions conveyed in Apache could only have been written by the person who experienced them ....

I thoroughly enjoyed Apache and not to take anything away from Ed Macy but for reasons I cannot fully explain I always feel a bit "put out" when I find that a book has been ghost written .

On another thread it was revealed that Andy McNabs books are ghost written and then horror of horrors much of Chickenhawk (so the threads tell us) was more of an account of other peoples exploits.

I have no idea how it works with ghost writers but the ghost writer for this book needs to get some credit for producing such a great piece of work.

HEDP
7th Jan 2010, 05:01
I think you will find that Apache was written by the man in question but with some editorial guidance and proofing as he had never written before.

Other examples have certainly been fully ghost written with advice, experiences and proofing by the SME's involved in the plotline.

HEDP

Babaleka
7th Jan 2010, 05:35
HEDP

That's a relief to hear .Editorial guidance and proof reading are the norm for all authors , first book or not.

It is a great read .Based on feedback on this thread I am ordering my copy of Hellfire today and will watch out for Ed's next book.

HEDP
7th Jan 2010, 05:50
One to look out for is released soon and by Charlotte who features in both Apache and Hellfire. It will be from a female perspective from within the same and similar episodes.

I for one look forward to reading abut the same period from a different perspective.

HEDP

Captain Sand Dune
7th Jan 2010, 06:22
Just finished it today. Well written, without any "Hollywood" B.S. Much better than Chickenhawk (load of crap, I thought). Gives an excellent perspective of how attack helicopter ops integrate with the ground pounders too.
I'm thinking about loaning to it the Army students at our North Western New South Wales training establishment. Probably scare 'em off when they read the stuff about living in sub-4 star accomodation in a desert though.:}

Cirrusly
7th Jan 2010, 06:23
HEDP

I've almost finished APACHE and will be buying HELLFIRE as soon as i'm done. Great Book! Any idea what Charlotte's book will be called?

Four Wings
7th Jan 2010, 15:01
Just fpr the record, it was ghost-written. First-hand authority intel.

HEDP
7th Jan 2010, 18:39
If you search on Amazon for Charlotte Maddison it should come up.