PDA

View Full Version : RAF Odiham

Durka_Durka
28th Dec 2009, 22:22
Hey guys, has anyone here had any experience of the married patch / properties at Odiham?

Possibly due there around June and looking at the site it looks as tho there are a few options for married properties. If anyone can shed any light it would be appreciated.

Cheers

DD

Diablo Rouge
28th Dec 2009, 22:29
Setting aside PC terminology of DHE, FMQ or whatever they call themselves this week, to get an answer we need to know whether or not your interest is AMQ (x several locations) or OMQ, as the differences are significant.

Replies may be appropriate by PM rather then stating external locations and their respective strengths and weakness' in public.

Durka_Durka
28th Dec 2009, 22:41
Sorry, should have said its for Officers quarters...

Faithless
29th Dec 2009, 10:10
Officers pads are fine. It's just the men that have to live in sh!te conditions:{.

I should know I've had 3 quarters there....Should have tried harder at school. :sad:

But at least I get some respect at the mo! :E

wokkamate
29th Dec 2009, 11:05
Are you after a 3 or 4 bed OMQ chap? I only say that as 4 bed OMQs seem to be at a real premium right now! I am due back at Odiham middle of 2010 and look like I will be struggling to get a quarter.....bring on the excess rent in one of the most expensive areas outside of London?

spindrier
29th Dec 2009, 15:24
Hello,

There are a number of available 3 bed pads on the patch at the mo (There is a detached house available on the corner of Wessex Ave and Love Lane). Best bet is to visit the stn, walk around and make a note of the empty properties. Then go to DHE and inform them which one you want. Generally speaking their admin is firmly lodged where the sun does not shine (peanuts - monkeys springs to mind). Avoid Churchill Close.

However, if you are an SO2 then accn is rather tight.

Good luck.

whowhenwhy
29th Dec 2009, 15:45
Agree with all of the above. A lot of the omq's have damp problems, especially the bathrooms. Ended up having to buy a dehumidifier it was so bad! Monsoon in Hartley Wintney is the best curry house by far!

iwalkedaway
30th Dec 2009, 16:03
Or try the Darjeeling in South Street, Farnham...generally reliable and very, very good. Sorry can't help on accommodation, however.

iwalkedaway

minigundiplomat
30th Dec 2009, 16:29
Personally,

I like the Crown in Odiham village for a good curry. Although the nan breads have got smaller recently, a point I commented on when I picked up my chicken vindaloo last time.

johnfairr
30th Dec 2009, 17:37
As per MGD above, this is a personal view, but the West Street Tandoori in Farnham is fine, as is The Bengal Lounge on the A325 at Wrecclesham.

If Chinese is preferable, the Bon East in Waverley Lane, Farnham is worth a taster or two.

nice castle
30th Dec 2009, 22:23
The 20% discount at the Crown for Odiham personnel makes it the winner for me. Pleasant chaps and tasty curry. 'Wok this Way' in Hartley Wintney was also brilliant for their eat all you can deal - I'm not sure if they're still open though? (Can't have been that good a deal for them, not least after I pitched up, ha ha!)

Charlie Luncher
30th Dec 2009, 22:31
For some lovely English fare of traditional game and great dirty dark beer the Chequers in Well just over the back fence was always great, warm fire after a trek through the snow. Crookham Village pub used to put out hot roast potatoes on the bar on a Sunday to make you thirsty, like I needed the help.
IMHO some of the best pubs in Blighty!
Charlie Sends

nice castle
31st Dec 2009, 09:03
Also, Queens Head in Dogmersfield for lunch and Gamekeepers in Mapledurwell for dinner.

The Helpful Stacker
31st Dec 2009, 14:53
If you travel a bit further afield to Fleet you can get yourself a nice Gurkha curry.:ok:

minigundiplomat
31st Dec 2009, 15:01
Next door at the George for impromptu midweek madness. The Watersky in Fleet for Chinese......

......none of this answers the original question though.

iwalkedaway
31st Dec 2009, 17:12
Maybe not - but it's added to my list of places to try. Thanks fellers. Only been in the area 40 years..since the first Pumas arrived at Odiham...really should get out more.

iwalkedaway

heights good
2nd Mar 2016, 11:31
I have been offered a job at Odiham around Sep/Oct time and was wondering what the Officers' Quarters are like and the general area. I dont want to accept it if the camp and surrounding area is not great.

Heathrow Harry
4th Mar 2016, 10:48
I have been offered a job at Odiham around Sep/Oct time and was wondering what the Officers' Quarters are like and the general area. I dont want to accept it if the camp and surrounding area is not great.

Well if you're buying your own accomodation expect to pay +£1 mm - it's one of the most desireable areas in the UK and the district (Hart I think) is regularly voted the best place to live in the UK. Nearby train into London , just off the M3, rolling countryside, twee pubs, no industry - short run into Basingstoke for chain shopping or Farnham /Guildford for the expensive stuff................ Locals are bit Radio4 and the village has a Co-Op, a few restaurants, a couple of pubs and a BMW dealer, fairly large doctors surgery, olde worlde church

?Tesco next to the railway station at Hook 3 miles away.................. natives fairly friendly ('cept in one pub in the village)

NutLoose
4th Mar 2016, 11:22
Has the chocolate smelling factory by the station in Hook gone?
I used to love the Chinese in the little arcade across the road.... Not been near the place in 35 odd years :}

Wokkafans
4th Mar 2016, 12:15
The George on the High Street has been gentrified and you'll need a mortgage to eat there. Lovely area to live in but then I'm biased :ok:

Bel and the Dragon Odiham (http://belandthedragon-odiham.co.uk/)

Tankertrashnav
4th Mar 2016, 15:32
I wonder if the OP actually likes curry? If he doesn't there's a lot of useless info on this thread ;)

Mind you, when I was at Kai Tak, Sunday afternoon at the Bombay curry house in Kowloon was thronged with 28 Squadron (plus self) so maybe a liking for curries is obligatory for those on helicopters!

Tiger_mate
5th Mar 2016, 07:00
In Gütersloh in the late eighties, there were no curry houses in the local area.*

A trip back to blighty included an SOP curry night out. ....and if back for several days, Johny Gurkha was a close second. ...and after eating in Belize, the low kitchen standards tended not to bother one so much.

*There were one or two things that made up for the depravation!