PDA

View Full Version : Owner / Operator Sub-Contracting

WannaBeBiggles
28th Dec 2009, 22:18
During the GA boom I was chatting to a chap that flew choppers suggested it can be quite lucrative to score a gig flying with operators using your own aircraft as the hours are (somewhat) guaranteed if under contract and the flying can be rather solid.

I never thought too much about it as acquiring something along the lines of a baron or 210, plus insurances and enough reserves for incidentals, not to mention the possibility of some operators sitting on invoices or worse still, not paying at all was a scary prospect.

However, curiosity has gotten the better of me and am curious whether many (any) people actually do this?

Obviously it would require plenty of spare cash and would assume that insurances would be tricky (BYO or going under the operators insurance), but it does beg the question whether it is a worthwhile endeavor, or just a good way to spend your hard earned cash for little or no reward.

The Green Goblin
28th Dec 2009, 22:50
There is a bloke advertising himself for employment and his charter 172 thrown in the deal in the Aviation trader.

If you can't get a gig without offering a reward to the employer for using your services then it speaks very highly of your flying skills!

Reminds me of a bloke a few years back offering employers 10k for 500 multi :yuk:

WannaBeBiggles
29th Dec 2009, 04:17
Very valid point TGG, hadn't thought of that.

As mentioned this post was more out of curiosity than anything else :)

Howard Hughes
29th Dec 2009, 04:29
Many years ago I worked at a company where there was a C210 and Baron owned by pilots doing exactly that, however the owners were long gone to the airlines, while the aircraft continued to work.

It can be done provided you have access to a bottomless pit of money!:ok:

Mr.Buzzy
29th Dec 2009, 04:30
I used to be an owner/operator.... Then I got a girlfriend so I contract it out now....occasionally though, I still enjoy operating whats mine!!!!

bbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

huntsman
29th Dec 2009, 08:38
it should be a win for an operator.
if you break it (the aircraft), you pay for it.
accountability!

only down side, as you mentioned, is if boss decides not to pay

that said, plenty of people do crosshire (minus pilot) and MOST don't get burned

with deep pockets (just in case) you may get those hrs you need sooner than later
(insert 1st job, 1st multi job, etc)

JCJ
30th Dec 2009, 20:54
Some of the large frieght companies must subbie out to some owner/operators for ops that are not economical for their larger fleet or their fleet is unable to operate at certain aerodromes.
Not sure how much of this there is around.