PDA

View Full Version : Delete search history Google

Fliegenmong
26th Dec 2009, 03:49
That little window with the drop down arrow, when clicking the drop down arrow it brings up everything you have ever searched for, which is way too large....How do I delete this history, is it cache (?) or something? How do I do it

toolowtoofast
26th Dec 2009, 07:49
Top LH corner of Google home page - 'search settings' scroll right down to and click on 'do not provide suggestions' etc. save the settings.

treadigraph
26th Dec 2009, 07:53
My Google search drop down (running in IE8) has a "clear history" link at the bottom, but the history only went back a couple of days which ties in with the last time I ran CCleaner.

If you haven't already got CCleaner, it's worth downloading (free) and running from time to time to clean up your PC.

Background Noise
26th Dec 2009, 09:14
It's an IE thing rather than a google thing. Depends which version of IE but it's in Tools, Internet Options. In IE 7 it's in General and browsing history. In IE 8 you can do it directly from the Content tab, then autocomplete.

Duckbutt
26th Dec 2009, 11:20
Alternatively, put cursor in search box, click, and when previous search list appears, move cursor down onto first item. When this turns blue just hold down delete button and items in the list will disappear (rapidly) one by one.

I use IE8

El Grifo
26th Dec 2009, 17:10
Then you wife, girlfriend or partner will never find out :}

Sprogget
26th Dec 2009, 21:44
Speaking from experience El G?:=:}

parabellum
26th Dec 2009, 22:30
Try here:

Delete past searches : Search history and settings - Web Search Help (http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=465)

(Found it on Google!;)).

El Grifo
27th Dec 2009, 08:34
No doubt about it sir !!! ;)

Tarq57
27th Dec 2009, 09:32
Better not forget to delete this page in the history, then!

The Nr Fairy
27th Dec 2009, 09:47
And for those reading who think "why", we had a full room of people including the whole Europe team plus 4 or 5 dignitaries from the US parent, being given a demo on a new piece of software we were due to start using.

Chap clicks in a search box to type in text, starts typing "m", list of possible suggestions comes up at the top of which was "MILF".

Funnily enough he realised VERY quickly, but not before half the room saw. And when he got back the US, he was out of a job.

El Grifo
27th Dec 2009, 09:49
Fair point there Tarquin old boy.

If she discovered that in addition to my perverse addiction of surfing for all things meteorological, I was secretly communicating with a bunch of sexy flyboys, that would be our long relationship well up the chute.

Good advice for a Sunday morning.

Gotta go, sounds like she is stirring

dareed
3rd Jan 2010, 07:38
Go to tools/options/privacy.
From there you delete what
you want .

DeeJayEss
3rd Jan 2010, 11:21
Use Firefox. Then go to Tools > Start Private Browsing...

The programmers of FFx put in a free "hide your dirty secrets from your wife or girlfriend" option for free!!!

Union Jack
5th Jan 2010, 16:11
The programmers of FFx put in a free "hide your dirty secrets from your wife or girlfriend" option for free!!!

Much the same with Safari - so I'm told! - where it is politely known as Private Browsing. Incidentally, I am finding Safari a very pleasant alternative to IE7 and, no, not because of the above!:)

Jack

DeeJayEss
6th Jan 2010, 00:44
Should have clarified that I don't make use of the Private Browsing either.....

Not that anyone will believe me - but then, I have a wife smart and clever enough to check the router records if she wanted to know the truth anyway!