PDA

View Full Version : Ken Ritchie Ex AAC

MightyGem
22nd Dec 2009, 20:30
I know Ken's brother has posted this in "Where Are They Now", but I thought that it might be slightly more relevant here.

Ken lost battle against cancer yesterday, dying peacefully in his sleep.

I first met Ken in 1983 when arriving at my first sqn as a sprog pilot. I learned a lot from his knowledge and experience during my first months with the sqn.

RIP Ken.

paco
23rd Dec 2009, 01:43
Oh dear - I bumped into him in Canada, not the mil, and was only looking at his contact details the other day.

As you say, RIP

What Limits
23rd Dec 2009, 06:27
Another highly respected aviator passes on. Safe journey Ken from all that knew you.

Bondu121
23rd Dec 2009, 09:28
Great guy, RIP

Letsby Avenue
23rd Dec 2009, 21:07
See ya.... R.I.P

SilsoeSid
23rd Dec 2009, 22:30
Ken,

I only flew with you as your passenger, and knew you most from our time in 669 especially the Falklands Tour. You were in HeliOps, I was duty driver...sometimes your taxi of an evening!

Good times, good memories. I toast to your memory with a good Port.
'Til next we meet.
RIP
T

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/silsoesid/669sqn198425pc.jpg (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/silsoesid/669sqn1984.jpg)

MightyGem
19th Jan 2010, 08:45
Ken's funeral will be at Basingstoke Crematorium(RG25 2BA) at 11am on Friday 29th Jan and at the Wolversdene Club, Hayward Suite(SP10 2AA) afterwards.

Any donations are requested to Help For Heroes or MacMillan Nurses. Liz, his wife, has requested NO black ties etc.

diginagain
19th Jan 2010, 09:23
RIP, my friend, and thank you for providing your wise council and guiding hand.

Machen Wir Crookie
12th Nov 2010, 09:41
I knew Ken when serving with 669 Sqn AAC in Detmold, Germany. He never ever called me by my rank, Air Trooper at the time, always Crookie, he was that type of soldier. I have fond memories of him, and 669, but especially his sharp and dry sense of humour. He was a man I looked up to - Rest in Peace, Ken.

Martyn

XTEC
12th Nov 2010, 11:01
Among the moustaches in the photo, I have just recognised Richard Wilmot! I worked with "Dickie" Wilmot at Blades Helicopters in the late '80s at Stansted Airport. And Mal Thwaites was with Blades at Goodwood.

Sorry for diverting off the thread.

XTEC

coveyducks
3rd Feb 2011, 10:41
Sad news!

Ken was with me on 259 APC.

On Wings Day someone was speaking with my father at the lunch afterwards and heard a story that he said he had just heard when he was at the Sgts Mess.

To cut a long story short, Ken's father & mine ended up in the same POW camp.

We always refered to that generation as "Wooden aircraft & Iron men"

God Rest.

whodictus
3rd Feb 2011, 12:52
Very sad news
I knew Ken at 658 before he went to Canada my thoughts go out to Liz

floatsarmed
4th Feb 2011, 07:06
To all of the ex AAC and REME guys who haven't found it yet, have a look at Army Aviation (http://www.armyaviation.co.uk) and you may find a few more old mates. :ok:

opfixclear
4th Feb 2011, 09:46
I first flew with Uncle Ken as a new aircrewman in March 1981. There were a few pilots in the squadron who would rather have taken an extra 75 kgs of fuel than carry a crewman. Not Ken. He was a total gentleman and treated us newbies with respect.
I really looked forward to Palace 24's when I was crewed with my fellow Scot. Used to give him some severe thrashings on the old games console whilst waiting for the bat phone to ring.
RIP Ken, it was a pleasure knowing you.

henryclive1
4th Apr 2012, 17:17
Hi guys,

I was just on Google looking for things relating to 669 Squadron AAC and came across this post. RIP Ken.

I thought I would post to see if any ex-669 Squadron personnel were still monitoring this board, and if so to let them know that there is going to be a 'Coyote Dinner' this winter (30th November) which they are cordially invited to. If they also send me their civi email address and mobile number I will ensure that they are added to the database, so that they can get updates on future events and from our upcoming Afghanistan tour this May-Oct.

If you are ex-669, or know of anyone who is, then please get in touch with me by sending an email to: [email protected], and putting 'COYOTE DINNER' in the subject box. Many thanks.

BobbyBolkow
6th Apr 2012, 07:46
Found this post this morning....... and it's put a shadow over the day!

Very sad news indeed as Ken was one of lifes true gentlemen in every sense and I remember him fondly.

My thoughts are with his family at their loss.

Rest in peace Ken and have a beer or two with the rest in the great crewroom in the sky.