PDA

View Full Version : Begin professional pilot training now... OR not? That is the Question

mikethebest22
21st Dec 2009, 19:10
Ok, I was 2 weeks away from starting at OAT back in 2007.
Unforeseen circumstances - 6 months later and I ended up at university.
Now 3 years on I am graduating soon and assessing my potential career options.
So options are obvious, normal job, possibly a grad job
OR back to the commercial pilot dream.
My situation financially is not too bad, most of my debts are student debts so I'm not in any urgency to pay those off, and have enough for living cost saved up from various jobs and I am in a fortunate position to be able to put a family property up for the bond.
After reading enormous amounts of debates about both flying as a job these days or OAT in general I want a qualified opinion.
So, given the current economic climate, the training schemes on offer from various flying schools , and just about every other factor you can think of.
Should I be thankful (financially) that i never went to OAT and give up the dream career and move on with my life.
Or Is there still an excellent career to be had?

Please only experienced, honest and impartial opinions.
Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have

Thank you in advance for your opinions and advice.
It WILL be taken on board

Thanks

Mike

lpokijuhyt
21st Dec 2009, 19:14

Dude, please read the posts in EVERY forum and see if you can identify a trend and then make your own conclusion.

mikethebest22
21st Dec 2009, 19:18
Ok, I was 2 weeks away from starting at OAT back in 2007.
Unforeseen circumstances - 6 months later and I ended up at university.
Now 3 years on I am graduating soon and assessing my potential career options.
So options are obvious, normal job, possibly a grad job
OR back to the commercial pilot dream.
My situation financially is not too bad, most of my debts are student debts so I'm not in any urgency to pay those off, and have enough for living cost saved up from various jobs and I am in a fortunate position to be able to put a family property up for the bond.
After reading enormous amounts of debates about both flying as a job these days or OAT in general I want a qualified opinion.
So, given the current economic climate, the training schemes on offer from various flying schools , and just about every other factor you can think of.
Should I be thankful (financially) that i never went to OAT and give up the dream career and move on with my life.
Or Is there still an excellent career to be had?

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have

Thank you in advance for your opinions and advice.
It WILL be taken on board

Thanks

Mike

mikethebest22
21st Dec 2009, 19:22
Fair point, but its difficult to weigh up such a long-winded, often bitter and ongoing debate. I thought i would give the opportunity to more experienced professionals to simply state their advice.
Please can anybody who replies provide some information about their circumstances/CV so that I am only partial to eligible opinions

Bealzebub
21st Dec 2009, 19:27
I am in a fortunate position to be able to put a family property up for the bond.

Are the family happy to lose it?

I wouldn't recommend anybody secure something they value against this sort of speculative venture, unless they are satisfied they can cover the loan repayments without any form of reliance on the end product whatsoever.

(Senior airline captain with 30 years experience and children wanting to embark on a similar career)

protectthehornet
21st Dec 2009, 19:29
Flying is an international society. Use the language correctly.

OAT means outside air temperature

OAT may mean something else to you...but I've been flying since '75 and I don't know a school by that name (Oklahoma Aeronautical Tech?)

Having said that. The job of airline pilot has gone downhill the last 20 years or so. I would not say that it is a great job anymore.

But if you are going to be a pilot...the SOONER the BETTER as far as training. Most flying jobs promote by virtue of seniority and not skill. so the faster, sooner you are out there the better.

You may only be able to earn a tiny amount of money for many years before getting a good job...so plan your money accordingly.

BitMoreRightRudder
21st Dec 2009, 19:31
I am in a fortunate position to be able to put a family property up for the bond.

Troll or breathtakingly stupid is my honest and impartial opinion. Leaning more towards troll.

lpokijuhyt
21st Dec 2009, 19:36
You may only be able to earn a tiny amount of money for many years before getting a good job...so plan your money accordingly.

Who cares.. his parent's house being taken over by the bank will cover his training. Do it. Your parents can live in a tent...you'll be living the dream in a shiny 737!

Whirlygig
21st Dec 2009, 19:38
I am in a fortunate position to be able to put a family property up for the bond. Which is more than can be said for the family owning the property :}

Now is not the time. Nor is next year. And don't even think about integrated.

Cheers

Whirls

CPL(H) with no sniff of a job for a year, been around the block a few time and all-round good egg. :ok:

hollingworthp
21st Dec 2009, 20:25
OAT may mean something else to you

Oxford Aviation Academy used to be known as Oxford Aviation Training when this guy initially looked at them back in 2007

cjd_a320
21st Dec 2009, 20:29
Have a read of T&E threads then ask yourself is your "family property" worth it....

http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/399371-more-easyjet-pilot-slavery-deals-oxford-aviation-academy.html

redsnail
21st Dec 2009, 20:34
I am not associated with any training organisation any where in the world.

You've got a degree, now get a job and get some life experience + money.
You can easily work for 2+ years gaining experience in life etc and work on nuking your loans and getting some savings together.

Would I start flying now? Only modular. In no way would I even consider full time training unless you have an excess money problem. (And I doubt you have that)

A PPL and having fun with your flying is perfect for now. Believe me, once you start working as a pilot you won't have such freedom again.

If you do your ATPL theory there's a time limit on them so be careful when you start them.

Keep saving the cash.

Keep a weather eye on;
1. The economy
2. Flight International

Why flight international?
Look for hiring of engineers and sim instructors.
Also, if you see ads for experienced guys, get that IR done.
That means recruitment.

For future reference.
If you see ads for low houred pilots, you've probably missed the boat.

Good luck.
Don't get into debt over flying.

lpokijuhyt
21st Dec 2009, 20:35
Flying is an international society. Use the language correctly.

OAT means outside air temperature

OAT may mean something else to you...but I've been flying since '75

Yes, god dammit! Show some respect to your elders. You nearly gave the man a heart attack with that OAT statement! You should know better! The man has been flying since '75 and since your post hasn't been able to properly digest a meal.

Flex_Thrust
21st Dec 2009, 21:13
Hi,
You're not exactly under starters orders for age, are you?! I'm doing the ATPL's with Bristol just now, finishing Feb. Not so sure about the opportunities in flying, but the exam credits are valid for 3y, so I'm gonna see how things go.
Have you flown at all yet? Why not get a job, do your PPL see if you like that, and do the ATPL's distance learning?
I'll be honest with you and also tell you I didn't get Oxford Aviation Training. At the time I was disappointed of course, but if I'd lumped out all that cash and ended up working for MOL, paid for the TR, no pay during line training, a pittance till you're fATPL comes out of the freezer, and just to add insult to injury make you pay for your uniform and who knows what else - I'd be pretty unhappy about that.
So I'm doing it Modular.
I'd be just a schmuk compared to the likes of the above with my 100hrs in the Warrior. But don't fixate on OAT. The brochure makes it look like you'll be in the RHS of a BA jet. But it might well not be anything like that at all, family home on the block:ooh:, earning a fraction of what you thought you might:hmm:, working for Michael:yuk:,debt:(,
It's going to be a couple of years before things pick up. If I was 22, I'd wait a couple of years, see where people were going from OAT.
But I'm not!:uhoh:

student88
21st Dec 2009, 21:36
Hey Mike,

You may not realise it but those unforeseen circumstances probably saved you and your parents lots and lots of stress - so well done!

If I was you I'd be extremely reluctant to use my family's collateral as a backing for a loan to fund training. I say extremely reluctant, I mean that I'd have to be clinically insane to do it.

May I ask what degree you've graduated with? I think it'd be a good idea to get a job, earn some money and start conducting your training along the modular route. PPL is the first step, can be quite challenging for some new flyers and will test your motivation for a career in flight.

Enjoy the ride,

S88:ok:

tony2F
21st Dec 2009, 21:44
Redsnail has it pretty much correct in my opinion, start working and saving. Other qualitys you learn and build on along the way will help you too. Do the PPL and most of all enjoy it, keep a sharp eye on the market then make your next move.

The best of luck in what ever you do. :ok:

mikethebest22
21st Dec 2009, 23:31
vBulletin
May I ask what degree you've graduated with?

Computer Science at the University of Nottingham.
Hoping for a 2.1, after pulling my socks up a bit.

well thanks for the excellent responses guys!
Keep them coming!
Im sorry for the OAT remark, as someone quite rightly said i was referring to Oxford Aviation Training which i believe has since been acquired by OAA Oxford Aviation Academy. On this forum back in the day, OAT used to be a popular abbreviation.
Moving on, Having trawled through all of the links to the other similar threads, it seems obvious to conclude that I was lucky to not go to Oxford in the end.
So for now I will consider other options, and try to keep a close eye on the market as advised. I have been filling my time applying for grad jobs so I will see how they go, and when i have a job and some cash behind me I will definitely look into PPL and see where I can go from there.
Many thanks again,
the more responses the better!

Poeli
22nd Dec 2009, 06:45
Why don't you go the modular way if you have a degree?:confused:

ford cortina
22nd Dec 2009, 08:11
Seeing that Globespan have just gone under, Thomsonfly are looking to lay some off. BMI not looking great as is BA. You made a good decision. Don't wreck it now by going and spending lots of money you don't have.
There are a lot of experienced crews out there and any one who thinks a new shinny fATPL and a intergrated school or Type Rating will get them a job is in for a big surprise.
If you must train now, I would not if I were you, then do it as cheaply as you can. Because NO company will care where you trained from just as long as you have the license.
Just because Ryanair are recruiting at the moment, does not mean this will carry on for ever. They have ended talks with Boeing over even more aircraft, maybe that is a sign of things to come. Certainly their business model will have to change.

(40, 2nd career self funded, FO in African Lo Co, watching it rain)