PDA

View Full Version : Military Rotary Bridging - FI status

ralphmalph
21st Dec 2009, 08:36
Hello,
I am a Military QHI conducting my Bridging Course. I will be conducting my A2 instructor upgrade in January and had a few questions if someone would be kind enough to answer or point me in the right direction please!

I am led to believe that an Mil A2 QHI status allows a FI qualification to be added to my license?

I might have to complete my license before my upgrade due to a deployment. Can the FI tick be awarded retrospectivley?

Does anyone know of any good ELC endorsed providers in the north of england for TR?. The website is good but I have heard of individual companies getting approval not listed?

What type would you pay for a TR on? (I can open on Lynx,Gazelle or Squirrel..I was going to open on Lynx because of the twin aspect)

Many thanks

Ralph

Tag14
22nd Dec 2009, 20:49
Regarding all FI(H) matters go direct to Fred Cross @ the CAA.
Open your licence with Lynx and if you want steady FI work with RTF's or TRTO's, go R44 as you may also get Public Transport jogs, unless you have an idea who or where you want to position yourself, then qual on school's machines.
Safe Trip!

Tag14

ralphmalph
23rd Dec 2009, 07:40
Tag14,
Many thanks, I have sent an email this morning. Perhaps I had better learn to love the Robbo!....still scares me though!

Regards

Ralph

212man
25th Dec 2009, 08:33
Lynx because of the twin aspect

Not possible as it's not a civilian type and has no civil derivatives - such as the Puma or Sea King have -therefore no rating available. It might be an idea to add the AS350 then go for a differences course on the AS355 - probably the cheapest entry to an ME type rating.

I might have to complete my license before my upgrade due to a deployment. Can the FI tick be awarded retrospectivley?

Of course - how do you think Commercial Pilots add ratings to their licences during their careers?

Curtis E Carr
25th Dec 2009, 15:35
Not possible as it's not a civilian type and has no civil derivatives - such as the Puma or Sea King have -therefore no rating available

It is available as a National Rating.

It might be an idea to add the AS350 then go for a differences course on the AS355 - probably the cheapest entry to an ME type rating.

AS350 to AS355 does not involve "Differences". It is a separate type rating.

212man
25th Dec 2009, 23:07
It is available as a National Rating.

Are you absolutely sure about that? I just checked LASORS and the Lynx is not referred to in Section F appendix C - type ratings - either in the JAR FCL section, or the National Ratings section.

Section F9.3 details the current Military types that can be considered for a Civil Type Rating

Interestingly, I see that they now distance themselves from the Sea King/S-61 relationship. This is a change in policy.

AS350 to AS355 does not involve "Differences". It is a separate type rating.

You are totally correct and I apologise for the poor use of wording. What I meant was that any TRTO would consider the AS350 experience/rating when assessing the total training required. They would also take into account the previous ME experience so, together, I very much doubt the 'usual' 8 hours would be required.

Curtis E Carr
26th Dec 2009, 09:25
What I meant was that any TRTO would consider the AS350 experience/rating when assessing the total training required

Previous experience on the AS350 plays no part seeking a reduction in training from the usual 8 hours. The only way you would get such alleviation is either to have a multi-engine type already on your licence (including any issued as a national rating), or to get a statement in writing from the CAA that a full 8 hour course was not warranted (due to previous experience).

As for Lynx appearing as a rating, see LASORS D6.5 (slightly above where you were looking previously). Several of my ex-militay students have turned up for the AS355 type rating course with Lynx on their licence, thus enabling them to do at least 3 hours training plus skills test.

212man
26th Dec 2009, 10:34
Thanks for the lesson in where section D comes relative to F!:ok:

I hadn't appreciated how logical the CAA had become on the QSP issue, and it can only be aplauded. however, in the interest of pedantry, the Lynx is still not a true rating and is not a National rating. It appears to be a sensible mechanism to allow licence issue and is analagous to the SE IR(H) - you can't use it but it serves as a vehicle to obtain a rating you can use.

I still can't believe that the CAA would not accept a sensible Training Needs Analysis for the required training of a pilot with significant ME experience and a type with extremely similar systems and handling characteristics. I'm damn sure they wouldn't expect a Bell 205 rated pilot to flog around for 8 hours doing a Bell 212 TR course. Having had 2 TRI and TRE ratings issued on the sole basis of observed flights I know how pragmatic the CAA can be.

I guess what I take away from this enlightening thread is how fluid the whole process is and, no doubt, will continue to be with the EU-FCL transition. The Sea King reference is a case in point - I know for a fact that S-61 ratings were being added at initial licence issue quite recently. Only 2 years ago we had PLD arguing that our S-92 rating applicants needed an MCC certificate to add their first MPH despite having thousands of S-61 hours: "it's not an MPH - the Sea King is flown single pilot!" (sense prevailed with a little help from the FOI dept!) Now it is specifically deemed not to be the same type, albeit with the obvious assertion that a TRTO may deem the experience allows a shortened TR course.

I'm pleased I came accross this thread - always nice to learn something new!

idle stop
28th Dec 2009, 17:04
You need only a B1 QHI rating for a full FI (H) rating provided you have 200 hrs + instructional time. However, you must have a valid QHI cat or C to I on a SP/SE type and have had a CFS standardisation check in the last 12 months when you apply for the rating. See LASORS (2008, still the current edition) H1.11.
If you have an A2, you get the full rating without the need for the 200hours...although (and it's a very very long time since I did my A2) I think one needed 200 hrs instructional for that anyway!
B2 CFS qualifies for the issue of a FI(H) Restricted...ie a 'civilian B2'.

ralphmalph
28th Dec 2009, 19:47
Idle Stop,
Many thanks, I'm surprised the bar wasnt raised a little higher and set at A2. However I'm sure many will not be complaining. The only drama is the requirement for 30hrs piston instruction as mentioned further up the thread. I need to get into the nitty gritty on that one. I would like to get the licence issued with the FI (H) tick applied if possible. Whether I can use it remains more problematic!

Regards

Ralph

idle stop
29th Dec 2009, 21:09
For the FI (H) rating you do not need 30 hrs piston experience. (But you do for the FI (A) qualification....that's another story. A step-jump for JP/Tucano QFIs to hop into a C152 without some piston experience: there was a time when BFTS was all-through jets and some QFIs had never done Chipmunk/Bulldog/Firefly....however Tiger Moth was before my time!))
I've just looked again at LASORS for you, remembering that my original FI (H) rating was opened with my CFS cat on the Gazelle, in the 1980s.
If you want to instruct on a piston, you will have to get the type rating (5hrs training for the first piston type and 5 hrs in any case for R22/R44, plus a skills test) then either 15 hours total time on type or do an Instructor Skills Test on type. It'll be the same deal for turbine helicopters, except that a single-engine turbine (SET) to SET rating can be done in minimum of 2 hrs training, plus the test.
There are a number of TRTOs out there offering type conversions; if you're experienced instructing on the 350 you should have a good chance of picking up some training work on that, and the B206 or EC120 once you have the requisite type experience; the easiest way to get the necessary experience is to get an OPC on type and do some charter work. That said, the market for that work is not so good at present.

ralphmalph
30th Dec 2009, 10:54
Idle Stop,
You are a gentleman. I have just had a browse through LASORS, I think I need to familiarise myself with its contents in a major way!.

Regards

Ralph