PDA

View Full Version : Spanish ATC instructions/readbacks

S76Heavy
20th Dec 2009, 09:49
Hola,

coming from elsewhere to a job in Spain I am looking for some help in understanding the ATC instructions in Spanish, as I will be working from small airfields.
Can anyone direct me to a list or give me the most common instructions and questions used?

Muchos gracias,
S76Heavy

ab33t
20th Dec 2009, 14:35
I tried doing that , it did not work its best to get a bit of Spanish and then learn the aviation speak

DinoCraft9
20th Dec 2009, 18:12
Hi guys, when I got my licence back in 2000 the ICAO doc 4444 was issued also in spanish as it is an ICAO official language so I assume you might still find it in an aviation store in Madrid or Barcelona, try www.aeroteca.com
However as suggested above I don't think it'll be enough for good coms as often we need out of topic language to solve non standard situations.

Good luck!

S76Heavy
20th Dec 2009, 18:43
Thanks, I have done a standard Spanish course and reaping benefits, but it did not cover anything aviation related.
Signed the contract and due to start soon (entrevista was in Spanish, btw, and apparently good enough to get hired) I find myself a bit intimidated by Spanish ATC at the moment and just don´t want to look stupid during route training.

Will look for the Doc, thanks for the info.
If anyone feels challenged to post the most frequently used items I´d be most grateful as it would give me something to prepare with while waiting for the book to arrive :8

leeleal
21st Dec 2009, 21:38
Hi there,

you can also look in the RCA (Reglamento de la Circulación Aérea), the spanish law for air traffic. In the 4th Book, Chapter 10 you will find a complete list of phrases along with it´s equivalent in english. You will also find some phrases in other chapters, but I warn you it´s a huge document (nearly 700p) regarding almost every aspect involved in air transportation.
Try this link:

http://www.aviacionulm.com/archivospdf/REGLAMENTOCIRCULACION.pdf

172driver
22nd Dec 2009, 15:13
PM me with an email address, I have a PDF crib sheet with the basics. However, after many years of flying in Spain (albeit private, not commercial), I can tell you that most controllers speak very good English. Any comms problems tend to come more from pilots who insist on carrying on in Spanish although there's obviously a situational awareness issue developing. :ugh:

I speak pretty fluent Spanish so never had an issue myself but have been ear-witness to some pretty hair raising situations.

borjaracing
28th Dec 2009, 09:19
Hey S76Heavy,

Although 172driver has already said it, ATC's in Spain do speak reasonably good english. However, The pilots do not, and even when they do, They (us), tend to use spanish even when there is an english speaking flyer around. It´s something I´ve been fighting against at work lately, but with poor results so far.... Therefore I cant do anything but agree with 172 on the problems that sometimes arise due to incommunication...

By the way, where r u starting to work? S76 with Inaer up north, perhaps?. I fly for them in Bilbao, so contact me if you need anything i could help with...

Good luck