PDA

View Full Version : Supersonic Knickers

Banana Boy
20th Dec 2009, 08:40
Okay, Chaps. It's nearly Christmas, so how about a bit of trivia?

I was moving house in the summer and happened across a photo taken in the 234 Sqn crewroom at RAF Brawdy. It must have been a long while ago (1989?) because it shows a young BB with a full head of hair. The item of interest however is mounted on the wall behind me:

A pair of glitzy turquoise knickers mounted on a slate plaque, with words to the effect 'Captured live from the Exotic Eva, Gribble Inn, Gt Torrington, 1973 - subsequently flown in excess of Mach 1'.

I was too busy trying to coordinate pressing the PTT and cine buttons whilst saying "Comm-ence" as TWU stude, so no time in 1989 to research what must be an interesting story....

So, questions:

1. Who was Exotic Eva?
2. Who captured her knickers?
3. Why did they get flown supersonic?
4. Where are they now?

All answers, with a thread of truth gratefully received. :}

GGR
20th Dec 2009, 09:43
Your question, where are they now? do you mean the knickers......and Exotic Eva? Bet shes not wearing such tasty trollies today!

GGR

camelspyyder
20th Dec 2009, 11:06
I know this is off thread but does the name BB originate in Amsterdam perhaps???:E

CS

Banana Boy
20th Dec 2009, 11:30
...Would be interested to know what happened to both Eva AND her knickers....no takers so far in uncovering the truth. Let's see, captured in 1973 by let's say a 25 year-old pilot? That means we must be looking for someone in their early sixties to spill all!

....as for the BB? No, nothing to do with Amsterdam (that's another story!)...just my posting from TWU.

BB

advocatusDIABOLI
20th Dec 2009, 12:49
BB, I went through 234 Sqn, about the same time. I remember the 'Knickers' too, Although their origin eludes me. There is reference in the 'BBC Fighter Pilot' book, but again no real answer.

On another note, Buccs perchance?

Advo

LowObservable
20th Dec 2009, 15:47
Beadwindow!

Union Jack
20th Dec 2009, 15:54
More "Peedwindow" than "Beadwindow" surely?:hmm:

Jack

Wingswinger
20th Dec 2009, 18:00
As a 234 sqn "stude" of 1974, I'm delighted to hear that Eva's knickers were still there in 1989.

What happened to 234 sqn in the defence cuts there have been since 1989?

Banana Boy
20th Dec 2009, 20:36
Yes, Advo. It was the 'Banana Jet' for me. Happy days!

...234, I think died and became 208 following the demise of the Buccaneer.

But, I cannot believe a whole Sunday has nearly passed and the secret of Eva's gusset (is that a dirty word, like crevice?) is still intact. Perhaps when 'work' ppruners are back, the mystery will be solved.

BB

L J R
20th Dec 2009, 20:44
But the real question is - who has the fastest pair of 'celebrity' supersonic knickers...?

alwayslookingup
20th Dec 2009, 21:58
L J R

You'd need to qualify that as I'm sure there are hundreds of said article that travelled on Concorde in it's time.

Didn't Nell McAndrew once have a flight in the back seat of something fast and pointy, or am I just fantasising about her in a tight G-Suit?

The female Blue Peter presenter (name eludes me but possibly Katy Hill, seen below) definitely had a flight in a Leuchars F3 on the eve of the millenium, 31.12.99.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/bluepeter/dianetimstuartkaty/gallery/images/173/7bp09.jpg

ALU.

Bullethead
20th Dec 2009, 22:56
I've had some supersonic gusts through my knickers, must have been you could hear the sonic boom! :eek: :} :E

Fixed Cross
21st Dec 2009, 09:22
OK-Here goes! A blast from the past dredged from fading memory. The Gribble Inn was a splendid old English watering hole much favoured by the Hunter drivers at Chivenor in the 60s and early 70s (as Whooligan will no doubt recall). After a concentrated session of attitude adjustment one Friday evening the first team departed by hired coach (with liquid refreshment on board) to conduct a carefully planned Wing Assault on the said hostelry.

Many legends were created that evening,which modesty and a concern for reputation prevents me from revealing. Nevertheless, the exotic Eva was a scantily clad young lady who provided the floor show as a regular feature of the Gribble's entertainment. When, how and by whom the knickers were obtained I cannot say but Eva often performed her act with a large, very much alive, python.

A very well known recce puke,much given to "quacking", decided to demonstrate how to gain the exotic Eva's attention on a personal level in order to further the education of the many Hunter studes present. Our hero disappeared into the throng surrounding the target and emerged triumphant moments later-with the python wrapped around his neck!

BOAC
21st Dec 2009, 09:47
What was that nice little club in IllFrackombie called? Anyone remember? I seem to recall some underwear movement there.:uhoh: Went there in the dim and distant past with a well known 'Hotel found in a basket'.

BEagle
21st Dec 2009, 12:17
Great story, Fixed Cross! Unfortunately, when I was lucky enough to get a second TWU course (on the first of the re-opened Chiv courses), we learned that much had changed around Chiv during the years it was closed.

Whilst the 'Willies' and 'Thatched Barn' were still good, a course mate had spent some time at Barnacle as a junior quack before joing the RAF. So we made the mistake of believing his recommendations...

The Stn Cdr had a thing about haircuts, we were told. So off we shot to Barnacle to the visit the head-sharpener one lunchtime. We should have realised all was not well when the first victim asked for "Just a light trim, mate, don't cut too much off" - to be told in rather a petulant way "Sir, we don't 'cut', we 'style'..." :\ It took ages for the powdered idiot to snip and primp, before presenting an outageous bill. The rest of us decided just to risk the Stn Cdr's wrath and promptly legged it.

Mate's next recommendation was a pub. "Great pub - always popular with the hospital staff", he told a couple of chums. So off they went, with fevered imaginations about moist young nurses. Enter the pub, "3 pints please..." "Oooh, pintth, we don't therve many pintth here", squeaked the bar'man'. Looking around, they soon realised that the pub had a 100% male clientele. 'Male' being perhaps rather a charitable description..:eek: "OK, 3 halves and make 'em quick then!" Yam, sing, scarper.

Next day "OK, 'Bones' - any more great ideas? First you recommend a poodle parlour, then a gay bar. Tell you what, just tell us all your old haunts so that we can avoid them in future!"

But it truly was 'Heaven in Devon'!

Exotic Eva's knickers were certainly displayed proudly throughout 234's time at Brawdy - I just hope that no fun-detector banned them on the altar of political correctness in later years...:mad:

But the question remains - where are they now?

ORAC
21st Dec 2009, 12:22
Probably been nicked.....

goudie
21st Dec 2009, 12:31
Seems to me, several chaps had a hand, in these nicked knickers

BEagle
21st Dec 2009, 14:18
I must admit that I was quite surprised that the opposition at the other end of the building ('Wing nut' being their boss) didn't think about trying to hide a couple of raw prawns inside Eva's turquoise knickers.....

Which, in the hot Summer of '76, would soon have added their own unique authenticity to the items in question....:eek:

There was some twin prop outfit which occasionally used Brawdy; their hosties came to our crewroom and desperately tried to ignore Eva's trophy....

wub
21st Dec 2009, 15:11
Ahhh.... the Gribble Inn. The compere was a real pain in the a$$, he used to repeat "let's be friendly" ad nauseam.

I don't know if it was Exotic Eva, I frequented the place in 1973-74, but one of the performers used to offer a bottle of baby lotion to a punter, who was clearly expecting to rub the contents somewhere interesting on the performer's person. She'd fill his cupped hands with a good dollop of the lotion and then walk away, leaving the poor sap wondering what he was going to do next.

Wander00
21st Dec 2009, 15:43
I guess a certain former woman news reader had aerobatic, if not fast, knickersif

BEagle
21st Dec 2009, 15:56
When Tomorrows' World sent Su Ingle to fly in a Jaguar, she was told by the squippers that she wasn't allowed to wear anything man-made (such as nylon) due to the fire hazard it posed.....

I've always wondered.......:E

Banana Boy
21st Dec 2009, 19:28
Fixed Cross, Wub et al,

Thank you for assisting in putting some flesh on the bones of this story. It does sound as though the Hunter Boys had a wild old time. I do like the snake touch - perhaps 14 Sqn should think about renting out Eric for sexual acts at Johannas!

So now we know who Exotic Eva was....just a few more stones to turn!

BB

Lightning Mate
22nd Dec 2009, 18:06
"On another note, Buccs perchance?"

Wot?...supersonic...?

Grabbers
22nd Dec 2009, 18:09
Is this what you mean?

Ministry of Defence | Defence News | Military Operations | All female Tornado crew cruise over Afghanistan (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/AllFemaleTornadoCrewCruiseOverAfghanistan.htm)