PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPSs

blueloo
20th Dec 2009, 01:43
A query for those with Garmin portable GPSs -

can you put in a fix/waypoint and range ring based on that fix.

ie say you are travelling SYD-DRW - can you put BNE as a fix and put a 400nm range circle around it, so that it displays the range ring similar to a CTA step.

Those familiar with Boeing FMCs will know what I mean re fix page and range rings.

(Also if you buy a non XM satellite weather version ie Pacific version can you add xm weather later on with the purchase of an aerial + subscription)

I am considering getting a new GPS but want to future proof it - not that Aust will ever get XM satellite services soon.

(adjusted my poor spulling):}

GPS Guru
20th Dec 2009, 02:40
The XM versions don't retail in Australia. Not sure if they will. I'm fairly sure that you can't put a fix in like the Boeing with range rings (I stand to be corrected) however you can create a waypoint on some models and then work out bearings and distances from that waypoint.
You can download the owners manuals at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=156

ForkTailedDrKiller
20th Dec 2009, 03:11
Garmin GPSs

Hmmm - I guess I would qualify!

can you put in a fix/waypoint and range ring based on that fix.
ie say you are travelling SYD-DRW - can you put BNE as a fix and put a 400nm range circle around it, so that it displays the range ring similar to a CTA step.
Those familiar with Boeing FMCs will no what I mean re fix page and range rings.

To the best of my knowledge - No!

(Also if you buy a non XM satellite weather version ie Pacific version can you add xm weather later on with the purchase of an aerial + subscription)

This one I am quite sure about - No!

Dr :8

blueloo
20th Dec 2009, 03:22
double bugger!

thanks FTDK

how about, if you buy the xm version with americas database, can you add the pacific database and all the features maps etc of pacific version?

GPS Guru
20th Dec 2009, 03:29
It won't be all that cheap and your warranty won't be recognised in Australia.

runway16
20th Dec 2009, 05:34
BL,

Contact www.handheldsystems.com.au (http://www.handheldsystems.com.au). They will be able to advise as they are GPS sellers. My last query to them was answered and of good value.

R16

ForkTailedDrKiller
20th Dec 2009, 06:56
how about, if you buy the xm version with americas database, can you add the pacific database and all the features maps etc of pacific version?

Yes, you can do that.

I bought a G496, before Garmin released the 495, and acquired and uploaded the required databases and maps for it to function in the Pacific Region, and have helped a couple of other Ppruners do the same.

I had been told that it could not be done, but an email conversation directly with a Garmin techie in the US fixed that.

I like to think that Garmin decided to release the 495 version because of my interactions with them. :E

Would I do it again? Probably not! Its not really worth it given the price difference with the (now available) 495.

I figure that by the time Oz gets XMS weather, Garmin will be up to the G1096 and I will probably be dead anyway.

relax737
20th Dec 2009, 07:10
I bought a Garmin from hand held systems a while back, and I'm more than happy with my buy.

Good product and a good guy to deal with from where I stand and am more than happy to recommend it.

Jabawocky
20th Dec 2009, 08:13
Just a thought...... if you put in a waypoint "user waypoint" and select the Goto you will get dist/time to run so what do you want the rings for?

If it aint Garmin...I aint goin! :ok:

VH-XXX
20th Dec 2009, 08:25
What you are after is the proximity warnings that you can put into Garmins. I haven't done it for ages but I think you can do it on the 296(I've only ever owned a garmin 3 and 296, so pretty sure 296 does it) It puts a red circle around the selected waypoint. Handy for transiting ctafs. Only catch is that you have to do it for each waypoint that you want it on.

blueloo
20th Dec 2009, 22:53
Thanks for the replies....

FTDK - i had a look at the XM weather subscription and it isnt cheap if you don't plan to use it much. I kinda hoped there would be the odd stray satellite floating above Australia/Pacific you could sponge off.... but I guess not so it may not be worth the effort.

VH-XXX - that may do the trick - I havent had a play with a Garmin GPS for yonks - used to have GPSIIIpilot somewhere but I am can't remember being able to do proximity rings (but that is exactly what I would like)

Jabawocky - that would be my other way of doing it if range rings cant be done - I just like the idea of range rings for situational awareness - rather than having o select go/to all the time

Anyone had a look at the new area 500/550? They look pretty flash in a small compact unit. Not as bulky as the 695.

VH-XXX
20th Dec 2009, 22:59
From memory the proximity rings can only be set tospecific distances so your specific example may not be possible.

Super Cecil
20th Dec 2009, 23:41
The only reason you wouldn't use the information fields with distance/time to run and time at arrival functions is if you were going to a different destination. The database on 196/296 includes all control areas'a anyway so rings would be there. With the scale zoomed right in it gives a good idea of situatuational awareness concerning control area's. Another feature is a track log if activated gives a downloadable log of actual flightpath, handy if somebody says you were somewhere else. Another way is if your going to a different destination just use the nearest function, that'll give you a distance/bearing to work on. A lot easier than going through the effort of working out a bearing with a 45 year old ADF that only works within 5 miles anyway. :suspect: The terrain warning database for height is a waste of space on 296, all it does is waste a quarter of the screen giving erronous information, disable it.

VH-XXX
21st Dec 2009, 00:24
I disagree on terrain awareness provided that you set it up correctly. It is handy to use to confirm that you are 500ft agl on remote areas. It's the same database as the tso'ed 430. Proximity rings are handy for marking ctafs that you are frequently transiting past.

Super Cecil
21st Dec 2009, 00:44
I can't believe it's the same database (Terrainwise) that's on a 430. I believe they have the same aeronautical database of airfields and approach's. If you have a 500 foot buffer setup and fly around mountainous areas there are some spots I've flown QLD/NSW where no warning comes up even though your below the level of the terrain. If you want terrain clearence look out the window or fly IFR with it's buffer, don't use a handheld GPS.

Jabawocky
21st Dec 2009, 10:05
WARNING
not all the data you think is there ..is!

Fly to Watts Bridge from Kilcoy, over the north of Somerset Dam, and dangle your Dunlops in the trees over Mt Brisbane or whatever its called.......... trust me, neither the G296/396/495/496 or even the 430/530 will give you any idea you are about to become Rock Fodder. And where else is this the case? :confused:

EOM :eek:

PyroTek
21st Dec 2009, 11:13
Fly to Watts Bridge from Kilcoy, over the north of Somerset Dam, and dangle your Dunlops in the trees over Mt Brisbane or whatever its called.......... trust me, neither the G296/396/495/496 or even the 430/530 will give you any idea you are about to become Rock Fodder. And where else is this the case?

There is also a very nice (note: sarcasm) ultralight strip - one way, sloped, and unmown on the side of Mount Brisbane.. not in the GPS either i'd imagine! And as you say jaba: "Dangle your dunlops in the trees", you may just find this strip.. It is on the western slope I think.. probably gotta be suicidal.. or in an ultralight to actually attempt a landing on it.

Good to look at though!
:ok:Pyro

VH-XXX
21st Dec 2009, 11:16
Yes Jaba you are right, there's plenty missing in the terrain database. Not for anything other than vfr. I like to use it for the 500ft thing as a guide, nothing it wasn't intended to be used for though.

ForkTailedDrKiller
21st Dec 2009, 11:24
Fly to Watts Bridge from Kilcoy, over the north of Somerset Dam, and dangle your Dunlops in the trees over Mt Brisbane or whatever its called.......... trust me, neither the G296/396/495/496 or even the 430/530 will give you any idea you are about to become Rock Fodder.

I bet Jabba that if you fly through there and pay attention to ALL the terrain warnings on your 296, the yellow ones as well as the red ones - you won't hit anything.

Not advocating scud running on the terrain warnings - just saying it is so!

GPS Guru
21st Dec 2009, 15:09
Remember that these units are only rated for VFR use and not IFR. You'll need a TSO'd unit for IFR.

Jabawocky
21st Dec 2009, 23:10
FTDK / GPS GURU

Read my post again........

Neither the G530 or the G296 know of said range.

I would not trust it and yes you are correct.....VFR is not IFR and IFR has minimum heights but if you were in the poop with engines out its your best bet to find your way out of the soup and not hit anything. So long as the database is correct.

Interestingly the Dynon Skyview should have it as they use a different database to Jepps!