PDA

View Full Version : CD drive not detecting certain discs

x213a
19th Dec 2009, 09:52
I have a Fujitsu Seimens Scaleo 6405. It had Win XP media edition installed on it as OEM when I bought it 4 years ago. I have since done a complete re-install and put Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate on it.

The drive does not seem to detect certain discs - such as Microsoft FSX etc.
I checked my device drivers and noticed theres a yellow exclamation mark next to an "Unknown device". Upon right clicking it says it's a Universal serial bus controller. I clicked to check for driver updates but it says the most recent one is installed. I inserted the drivers disc I got with this computer but unfortunately it's one of the discs the drive does not recognise.
Upon looking at the Fujitsu website I see theres no Windows 7 drivers on their support page.

Anybody any ideas?

The discs work perfectly on other computers / laptops so it's not due to damage etc etc - some are brand new.

Cheers

green granite
19th Dec 2009, 09:57
New drives are cheap enough, get a nice up to date DVD writer, problem solved. A 4 year old drive's laser diode and the optics have probably deteriorated anyway.

x213a
19th Dec 2009, 10:42
It worked perfectly up until the Win 7 install though so does that not suggest its not a deterioration problem?

mad_jock
19th Dec 2009, 16:01
It will be a driver problem of some form. I don't think it will be a knackard drive either.

So your options are

do the driver hunt

spend 20 quid on a new drive that has W7 drivers

green granite
19th Dec 2009, 16:15
I didn't say it was a knackered drive I just pointed out that it will have deteriorated a bit so another good reason for getting a new one.

Saab Dastard
19th Dec 2009, 18:08
X213 - can you clarify a few things:

1) is this the ONLY optical drive on the system? What is it?

2) you say you can read some CDs / DVDs but not all - is there any pattern? What type or class is read and which not?

3) you have a USB device problem - is the CD drive USB or IDE?

4) have you other USB disks / flash drives, and do those work?

Have you a spare hard disk to insert (replacing current) and install either XP again or a fresh install of Win7?

SD