PDA

View Full Version : Exams in the stone age

belowradar
18th Dec 2009, 16:29
As I sit here waiting for my ATPL exam initial results I can't help feeling that the whole CAA system of examinations is embarrasingly outdated and very user unfriendly.

If I can study online and complete progress tests on line why do I need to travel to a CAA test centre for 3 consecutive days for 5 exams (why not 5 on one day)and why can't I test on a PC? and why can't I get immediate results ?

Come on CAA get with the rest of the world and move with the times

OK I know this is a rant and no response is required but has anybody else experienced these feelings ? I am sure that the days of pencil marks on paper and electronic scanning are long gone !!!:\

v6g
18th Dec 2009, 20:05
It's so that they can validate charging exorbitant amounts of money from you - and being British most of their "customers" just suck it up and never complain.

In Canada, you do it on computer (at a designated test centre - there's one in every city and some flight schools particularly the integrated ones have the authority to do it too) - you do it when you're ready - and get the marks and a "what you got wrong" sheet about 10 seconds after leaving the exam room. The PPL & CPL ones cost $105 for the whole thing - the instrument rating and ATPL exam is $35 each.

lpokijuhyt
18th Dec 2009, 20:10
That sucks. In other countries in Europe (JAA), you are allowed to take multiple tests in one day and get instant results (less than .5 seconds). Depends which country you are in. To be honest, there is no reason to make a person wait for the results. Maybe your country is using Commodore 64 computers?

Air1980
21st Dec 2009, 05:43
Took them nearly 2 months to get my results back to me in California...what a user friendly organization...thank God I passed 'em all. To retake one

"must send a despatch via marconi wireless on only the 3rd and 7th Wednesday of those months wherein a new moon shall be observed as contained in the Air Almanac published in concurrence with the Civil Aviation Authority agreement circa 1928. For further information, please send a fee of 268GBP and the form SRG1129 completed in full, prior to asking the question."

BritishGuy
21st Dec 2009, 05:55
I had no idea that the other JAA countries had the facilities to do the tests on computer and get the results straight away. That's quite good (bit like the FAA system).

I do have a question though. Why do a lot of European people do the UK JAA exams. Why don't they do the JAA exams of their native countries? I mean I'm sure there are people that do, but I've seen lots of Scandinavians, Italians, French and Spanish (actually all European nationalities) do the UK JAA exams. Why is that?

This is purely a question that I have out of curiosity, not ment to mean the UK system is 'so great' (far from it!)

Sciolistes
21st Dec 2009, 06:23
I had no idea that the other JAA countries had the facilities to do the tests on computer and get the results straight away.
Even third world countries have that ability.

But if the UK CAA upgrade their process, you know that it'll mean a bloated, over specced, over optimistic computer system that'll be delivered in 15 years and the cost passed on to all its 'customers'.

Mickey Kaye
21st Dec 2009, 07:40
I can't see why the PPL exams are not done in this way either. One exam pulling from all the current papers that takes say 3 hours and you results instantly.

Simples

Phenom100
21st Dec 2009, 08:17
One of the main reason's why you don't get immediate answers and have to wait a week or so is because this gives YOU, the chance to appeal any questions which may be in-correct. I think back when i did mine 2 yrs ago we appealed about 8 question within the 14 exams and WE won 5 of them.

But rightly so if their question back was upto date and accurate they could do it via PC and give you your immediate results.....

But then we are talking about the CAA.

oceanicclarence
21st Dec 2009, 12:05
We,, I can't help thinking the current process is deliberate.........When you look at it, it's just more hoops to jump through, you have to travel to the centre, turn up on time, with the correct Cap's, SPRM etc etc etc, I'm always amazed how many people forget even these simple things. I have sat and watched as people turn up late, and are not allowed in, have forgotten the Cap's SPRM etc, and are flustered and still writing at 'pens down'

Guys, it's just another coarse filter to catch out the numpties.

Ps when I finished my ATPL's last December, I was given a sheet in the exam room that was a questionnaire on basically what you would like to see changed, so maybe they are listening.............or maybe just Piglet Golf-Tango Whiskey Alpha Tango cleared for take off...............:

paco
21st Dec 2009, 12:48
Britishguy - the British exams have been modified somewhat to be more logical and correct, whichis why it's best to use Bristol when taking UK exams - they closely match. For example, there have been wrong answers in the Dutch POF database for over 10 years. I know the CAA often provide a poor service, but there is worse, believe me.

And to another poster - I believe the PPL exams will be centralised once the professional ones are online.

Phil

BritishGuy
21st Dec 2009, 20:04
Thanks for that info Paco, but still I can't help feel that if you're from, say, Italy (for arguments sake), then wouldn't one pick a local school, save the cost of going all the way to Gatwick (the UK or one of the UK centres abroad) to do the exam? Why wouldn't one pick a local school instead of one in the UK? Bristol isn't the only UK school and yet I've seen many Europeans flock to the UK schools for the study and the exams. I mean, it's open boarders and I'm all for free movement and all that, so Euros (and all others) are welcome as far as I'm concerned. But it's like wanting to do your GCSE's or A-Levels in Euro land. Why would you want to do that when you can do them right at home? That's what I'm not quite understanding.

Granted the Dutch paper is a bit off - but after 10 years the schools would have been able to point those questions out to their local candidates right? I mean, these countries do have their own JAA schools right?

I've seen lots of Italians at UK schools struggling with the English, Kudos to them they eventually pass the exams (I know I couldn't pass the exams in Italian - so lots to admire there), but I can't help wonder. If you're going to struggle so much with the language and all that, then why not just do them locally.

Just one note, I'm not looking to go into the English is the ICAO language discussion here. We know it is. But I'm just trying to find out why is the UK system then system of choice. Am I missing something?

paco
22nd Dec 2009, 01:50
"Granted the Dutch paper is a bit off - but after 10 years the schools would have been able to point those questions out to their local candidates right? I mean, these countries do have their own JAA schools right?"

We are in a bit of a special position as there is only us for specific helicopter courses (modular distance learning, at least). However, the quality of training in UK is one issue, and the question banks (i.e. the combination of the more "logical" UK one and Bristol) are another. Yet another is the quality of the authorities. I get sterling service from my inspector, and from the people in the exam office, but the situation is very different in other countries. If it's bad in Spain for providers, it has to be the same or worse for students (there are schools that operate in Spain while being registered in UK). I'm told that PPL exams in Holland are only held once or twice a year? Or is that Belgium - maybe someone can confirm that. One school in Belgium wants us to do their PPL(H) theory in UK with a view to doing the licence issue in UK as well, because it is such a pain to deal with the Authority there.

And why should we have to be skirting our way round dodgy questions after all this time? The whole JAA system should be booted off the planet and started all over again.

phil