PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Wi-Fi

Jimmy Macintosh
18th Dec 2009, 16:00
This is probably a stupid question but I don't know the answer.

I have a laptop that I connect to my home network and hence have the drives open to sharing. Now if I take this to a hotel and log onto their free wi-fi, what's stopping anyone else in the hotel accessing my drives?

As far as I can guess is that we'll all be on the same network and as long as the drives are shared then there is nothing to stop someone else accessing them. :confused:

Saab Dastard
18th Dec 2009, 16:06
as the drives are shared then there is nothing to stop someone else accessing them.

Apart from a valid user name and password? I'm assuming at least Win2K or later, not Win 9x / ME.

Of course if your guest account is enabled, and your drives are shared at the root with read access for everyone, then you have problems!

SD

shortfinal12
18th Dec 2009, 16:08
i also have a stupid question i hope you guys dont mind to answer.

how do i start a thread on pprune? i am new to pprune. i just cant find how to start my own thread like everyone else seems able to do.

would appreciate your help guys,

sf12

Jimmy Macintosh
18th Dec 2009, 16:41
Saab, I agree I'm in trouble, on my home network I don't have passwords active, there are only two of us, my wife and myself, passwords seemed excessive, so I'll just have to disable sharing before I leave.

Short Final,

At the top of the thread list on the left hand side is a small icon about the size of the "post reply" icon and says "new thread", click there.

Saab Dastard
18th Dec 2009, 18:38
passwords seemed excessive, so I'll just have to disable sharing before I leave.

Disable guest account.

Apply passwords to all other accounts.

Start your firewall (at least the windows XP firewall) - you can turn it off at home if you wish.

Are you running XP home or Pro - or :yuk:ista? Can you apply NTFS permissions to shares (i.e. not just share-level controls)?

SD

Jimmy Macintosh
18th Dec 2009, 19:53
I'm running windows 7 on the laptop.

Thanks for your help.