PDA

View Full Version : working in China

tie domi
18th Dec 2009, 14:26
Can anyone tell me about working in China ?

Brian304
18th Dec 2009, 15:05
Well it depends on what you want to know...:ugh:

tie domi
19th Dec 2009, 01:08
ATP exams etc,medical,crew coordinations,housing etc.
any info greatly appreciated

On Final
19th Dec 2009, 03:44
Hello Fellow Pilot,

There are lots of posts with information on many aspects on Working in China. The Chinese pilot market is strong right now and should continue for the next 5 to 10 years. I am not a fortune teller but this is my opinion.

Here are a few links to get you started.

http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/348697-if-you-want-work-china.html

http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/350239-required-paperwork-work-china.html#post4517933

http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/262104-chinese-written-test-3.html#post5310514

Good luck,

On Final

tie domi
19th Dec 2009, 05:29
thank you for the response,are you in china now ?

Todd_Kazanski
19th Dec 2009, 11:07
Hey TD,

I am thinking you might want to ask more specific questions, I am flying in China now, but I am not really sure what you want to know, those are some pretty broad catergories.

ATPL- There is a written (it is horrible), and a flight test to validate your ICAO state license.

Medical - They will give you a crazy medical exam that ranges from blood work, electrodes on your head so they can look at your brain activity, xrays, sonogram (looking at your liver and gall bladder), eyes, medical history, EKG stress test, and even a fun little thing where they have you walk around in a circle in your under wear so that they can look at your bone structure. Chinese State run hospitals are really nice!!!!

Crew coordinations - I'm sorry........What? Most of my FOs have about 300-800 hours total time, there is not a lot of "coordination".

Housing - I have a nice apartment. The $500 a month I get in my contract almost covers my rent. It is a two bedroom modern small apartment in one of the nicest parts of Chengdu.

Anything else?

Todd_Kazanski
19th Dec 2009, 11:31
TD,

Really, if you want info on working in China, start by reading all the posts that On_Final has made in the last year.

I am not sure which airline he is with, but he has pretty much hit it square on the head. Just realize that he is having a good experience here and that is most likely because of his ability to deal with change and different attitudes. This is definately not for everyone, trust me. It will piss you off everyday, but if you find a way to deal with it........you might just like it, and of course the money is good.

On Final
19th Dec 2009, 12:33
Wow, TD you hit the nail on the head too..! I am working in China for almost 2 years, but like you said it is not for everyone. It takes a controlled mind to deal with caos and disorganization. It takes a bit of insanity to try to make things seem normal. Like I said before, I am, not the expert in China but have learned to deal with the lackings and make the best of it. The money is good, just make sure you have a good airline wiht half way desent agent.

I do think WASINC is OK, I know the people there and even though every agency seems to get blamed they will do you fine. Mostb agencies dont have the power to save you in times of need anyway. You are kind of on your own, just fly the QAR, avoid the ping and stay off the radar.

Remember, you wont change CHINA, FORGET THAT THOUGHT..just show up to work, keep your mouth shut and fly. Remember, everyone is a spy here..hehe.

Good Luck,

On Final

Mr.White
19th Dec 2009, 12:49
Hi Todd Kazanski!!!

For you post about " working in China", it seems to me that you have a pretty good view of the movie........

Im very interested in going to China to fly, I want a new fresh begining. I would appreciated if you can tell me what airlines are screening and are worthy.

Im 32 years old B767 Commander 1000PIC on B767, 3300SIC on B767 and 5000TT.

If you have any recomendation, tip, etc... feel free to give me your opinion.

Tks, Best Regards

Mr.White:ok:

JotaJota
21st Dec 2009, 10:24
Whatever On Final and Todd said... Myself have been here for almost a year now and YES, it's a learning experience... I love it, but some don't... Do your research!

Plenty of info on this forum...

Todd_Kazanski
24th Dec 2009, 15:50
Mr. White,

Unfortunately, I do not know of any 767 positions in China. There certainly are some somewhere, but I do not know them. Most of the Jobs right now seem to be in the A320, A330, or the 737NG, and they are gonna want AT LEAST 500 PIC in those.

How about ANA? It is a 767 job and the money is big, not in china though.

I recomend seraching Rishworth and the other Leasing sites, they would definately know.

On Final
24th Dec 2009, 18:50
Hello,

The bad news is the B-767 is a rare bird these days, especially in China. The good news is, some carriers will take the B-767 Captain and give them credit for pic towards the B-777. Be careful, but Korean Air (I know in Korea...hehe) does this but who wants to play that lottery. I know it may be better than the posts we read but from the outside it looks a little rough. I also think Air China will do the same but not sure.

It is real simple, just standby, as things get harder and harder for the airlines I am sure they will bend the rules to suit their needs. China is out of control with expansion and there are few pilots to fill the slots. It will be interesting what the future will have in store for us working or wanting to work in China.

Good Luck,

On Final

Merry Christmas...!!!