PDA

View Full Version : laptops & notebooks

SPIT
17th Dec 2009, 22:10
Hi
Being A COMPLETE THICKY ABOUT COMPUTERS as you may have seen ??? my wife is after a laptop / notebook.
My question is what is the difference between these two ???? :confused::confused:

Jofm5
17th Dec 2009, 22:26
They are basically the same thing but can be characterized by Size and weight,

A laptop is bigger and heavier than a notebook.

A notebook as its name suggests is around the size of a A4 notebook and is lighter/thinner than a laptop.

A netbook is smaller than a notebook (usually around A5 size) and as consequence typically will have scaled down features.

As to what to get the wife all depends on what she wants to do with it. You would not want to do any serious work on a netbook for a period of time as the size and processing power make it a pain.

If portability and functionality are your key objectives then a notebook is the way to go.

If its going to be pulled out and used on a table now and then a laptop is probably best as they cost the least and although chunky can be moved around easily but you would not want to be carrying one around with you all the time.

If your not planning on any games being played on your purchase then dont worry too much about the graphics - but integrated onboard graphics is a big no no if you do want any sort of graphics performance with games.

MG23
18th Dec 2009, 06:21
If its going to be pulled out and used on a table now and then a laptop is probably best as they cost the least Netbooks are generally the cheapest, though prices at the high end of the netbook market has now risen above the low end of the laptop market. Personally I use my laptop for most things at home, and the netbook when I'm traveling (it's small, it's light and the battery lasts twice as long). I do agree that netbooks aren't a good choice for anyone doing serious work for long periods, but they're fine for basic web-browsing, email and some limited word processing, etc.

Aerouk
18th Dec 2009, 18:43
Netbooks usually have 10inch screens where as Laptops have 15.6+ screens.

I'm not a fan of Netbooks, Laptops all you to do much more.