descol
17th Dec 2009, 15:13
must be celebrating !

PintofT
17th Dec 2009, 15:17
I liked it....

Airbrake
17th Dec 2009, 15:21
The worrying thing is that Cornish Flyer probably has a selection of A* GCSE's including English!:ugh:

JW411
17th Dec 2009, 15:50
Or else he is like most of the promising hysterics who post upon the pprune forums and who try to give the impression that they preceded the Wright brothers by four good years!

Mind you, who said the Wright brothers were first?

brakedwell
17th Dec 2009, 15:53
The worrying thing is that Cornish Flyer probably has a selection of A* GCSE's including English!

But unfortunately not history! :{

F24
17th Dec 2009, 16:08
http://www.oshkosh365.org/userimages/10333/5b7b57cf-7f91-4fb6-b999-be8af8973e7f.jpg

jonseagull
17th Dec 2009, 16:50
Now, how much would the original of that telegram be worth?

Cluster Bomb
17th Dec 2009, 17:07
Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights made an aeroplane. :)

lurkio
17th Dec 2009, 17:09
Most low cost airline management in the UK would want to use the other side to write the latest garbage contract on.

CornishFlyer
17th Dec 2009, 20:38
Thanks for the sarcastic comments however I was confused as to why this is in Rumours and News as it is neither. The fact I wasn't aware of a telegram sent by the Wright brothers should have no bearing on my intellect. Go and troll elsewhere yeah?

Mechta
17th Dec 2009, 22:05
For Cornishflyer and anyone else who was not aware of, or doesn't appreciate the significance of the telegram, may I suggest you make the effort and go to the 'First in Flight' exhibit at Kitty Hawk. Better still, go in Winter, so you can see and feel what the conditions were like for that first flight ('bleak' is a word that springs to mind). I went many years ago, and have never regretted it.

The park ranger was an excellent orator, and really got across how the odds were stacked against Orville & Wilbur, and what an achievement their 17 December 1903 flights were. Their success was the result of meticulous experimentation and planning (such as making sure they had a camera and witnesses). Most significantly, they perfected gliding flight before adding an engine to their problems - there's a lesson for all of us!.

The Wright brothers, Samuel Cody, Santos Dumont and every other country's http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/nerd.gif'First Flyer', were each designers, builders, and test pilots rolled into one. Their designs may not have been ideal, but they taught themselves to fly on them. I take my hat off to the memory of every one of you.