PDA

View Full Version : ATPL license

simsam
17th Dec 2009, 06:54
I have had an overseas ATPL license, but needs a few more night hours to get an Australian one.

I am close to 2000 hours total, how important is it to have ATPL with regards to employment?

thanks

simsam

eocvictim
17th Dec 2009, 07:20
Well if you want to drive a truck not very important at all. It would be helpful to know what sort of emplyment you're after. Also how many night hours. If you meet all the other criteria some employers may allow you to build the required time during the icus.

AerocatS2A
17th Dec 2009, 12:27
You would probably do better with the Australian ATPL exams and no licence than you would with an Australian ATPL with no Aus exams.

I don't know of any companies that require the ATPL for an FO slot but I know of ones that like you to have the Aus exam credits (ie, they don't like ATPLs based on recognition of an overseas licence.)

40Deg STH
17th Dec 2009, 20:15
There should be one ATPL for the whole world. I thought that if its good enough for ICAO, its good enough for Qantas, BA, CX etc.
I hold 5 ATPL's (as do many of my colleagues), and the Australian was my first one and and was the most worthless one to hold. The exams were the least useful and so far out of date, it was a waste of my time. So please stop thinking "our" ATPL is the only one to have here. We want the rest of the world to except ours if we travel, about time this country caught up with the rest of world.

Eight Ball
17th Dec 2009, 22:18
The Aus ATPL is not worthless if you'll do the flying in Oz. But I agree with 40DegSth that when you go overseas the exams were worthless, they wouldn't recognize it. I was made to sit the 6 exams required to qualify for the foreign ATPL.

Where I am (Asia), no one could do the ATPL exams until you get the 1500 hours required with 100 night hours. Comparing Oz, we could sit the exams after getting the CPL and IR ( in our licenses) out of the way.

Mind you though, F/O's here are not required to pass the ATPL exams to get hired in the airlines.....:ooh:. They only would require that before you fly in the left seat or will be tasked to fly left seat as a cruise relief pilot for the Captain even if your rank in the flight deck is an F/O. ( that's from a B777 F/O ). They only get the night hours once they fly with the airlines thus building up the 100 hours quickly especially with long haul flights, not in the lights twins like we do. Take off at 8pm (Asian time), fly all night to Sydney (for example), and land at 4am. ( 6am Australian time) that's 8 hours of night time in one day.

They don't even require multi-engine time in the airlines (not unless you are flying turbo-props !!! ... huh ??). They do the assymetrics training in the jets where they will be training on....... so, it's a different world out there.

They even have the MPL (Multi-crew pilot's license) where a 70 hour pilot is part of an A320 crew. :uhoh:

simsam
18th Dec 2009, 01:23
Thanks

Yes I know everything about ATPL theory, I have a old outdate national European one, all Australian subjects and if I go back to Euroland I might have to do the JAR exams too.

(I like driving things, would be nice to try a tram or train one day, but not trucks :), did you know they have auto throttle like things on modern trains?)

Simsam

rmcdonal
18th Dec 2009, 03:28
We want the rest of the world to except ours if we travel, about time this country caught up with the rest of world.
When you can go to the states and buy the answers to memorise before sitting the exam it sort of defeats the purpose of doing the exam.

FJ44
18th Dec 2009, 03:39
Perhaps with the introduction of the MPL they can update the ATPL exams as I remember being told when I sat them over 6 years ago that the 727 flight planning and the 767 systems were about to be changed to a type more relevent to Aus operators...
Could be waiting for a while yet .:rolleyes:

bowing
18th Dec 2009, 07:51
So can you transfer an American ATPL to Aussie ATPL without sitting Aussie subjects?

startingout
18th Dec 2009, 08:50
Im 100% sure you have to sit ATPL Air Law (had a friend do it to gain work over here after starting in the states) and because you are transferring from FAA to ICAO there might be other rules aswell. SO:ok:

Eight Ball
18th Dec 2009, 09:20
Yep - Air Law and an IFR flight check....:ok:

Gnd Power
18th Dec 2009, 09:23
"A holder of a valid foreign ATPL licence that has been issued by an ICAO Contracting State, may convert this licence to an Australian ATPL. The conversion requires passes in both the CPL Flight Rules & Air Law exam for the relevant aircraft category and the ATPL Air Law exam (AALW).

It is also a requirement to hold a multi engine command instrument rating for the issue of an aeroplane ATPL. This requires a pass in the IREX exam and the instrument rating flight test."

Easily found on the CASA web site.

AerocatS2A
19th Dec 2009, 00:35
So please stop thinking "our" ATPL is the only one to have here. We want the rest of the world to except ours if we travel, about time this country caught up with the rest of world.
Hey, I don't agree with it, I'm just saying there are some Australian airlines that want you to have the Australian exam credits, so rather than worrying about the hours for the ATPL you'd be better off looking at whether the companies you'd like to fly for require Aus exam credits and if they do, put some time and money in to that if you don't already have them.

SmoothCriminal
19th Dec 2009, 07:19
casa.gov.au has reference and guidelines to convert a foreign ATPL under the crew licencing.,.,
ATPLA, ASIC/AVID, MECIR flight test, also a English proficiency check level 6which can be done via aslexam or a CASA delegate ATO

Smoothie....:ok:

Mach E Avelli
19th Dec 2009, 07:40
To answer the original question. Two candidates, one AIRLINE job, everything else equal except one has local ATPL (no matter how 'worthless') and other only has CPL. Who gets the job?
But IF the job is G.A. where the boss does not want you to have ATPL because it means you will just p1ss off to the airlines at 1st opportunity...

40Deg STH
19th Dec 2009, 12:45
Aerocat, agree or not. Airlines will always take those with the BEST experience, not which country the ATPL was issued. And before you agree or not, I may KNOW:E:E
If its a local regional and the pay reflects it, well good, so be it!!
We need to be more up to date with the rest of world, sorrry you have to be:D
I already am!!!!:ok: