PDA

View Full Version : JAA type rating and base check requirement?

SeattlePilot
16th Dec 2009, 23:29
Ok, I am pretty ignorant on this subject, so please spare me some smart ass comments.
When I got my type rating at the US airline I worked, I didn't have to do any flights in the actual aircraft since it was a Level D sim. (CRJ200). Can you still do this under JAA? I am trying to avoid the need to find an appropriate airplane for the base check, if Level D allows me to get the full type rating under JAA.

Thanks...

BillieBob
17th Dec 2009, 08:27
Zero Flight Time Training (ZFTT) is available only to the training organisation of a JAR-OPS 1 operator or a training organisation that has a specific approved arrangement with a JAR-OPS 1 operator. In order to qualify for ZFTT, the pilot must have 1500 hours flight time or 250 route sectors if a Level C simulator is used or 500 hours flight time or 100 route sectors if a Level D is used. The type rating gained from ZFTT training will be restricted to the JAR-OPS1 operator that holds the approval until line training has been completed.

In short, and assuming that you have the qualifying experience, you have to complete a full type rating course with a JAR-OPS 1 operator and must then complete line training with that same operator. If, as I suspect, you are hoping to transfer your existing CRJ type rating to a JAA licence by means of an observed flight test and without completing a full type rating course, then ZFTT is not an option.

SeattlePilot
17th Dec 2009, 13:37
BillieBob,
no I have no intension to convert my CRJ type rating .. This is just a guess about the way that the type ratings are done on the other side of the Atlantic.
I own a flight school where I want to combine the flight training with a type rating course.
I think we can provide the training we plan to but a friend was asking where we would do the base check. I know we had to do one in my EMB120 days because the sim was level C, but with Level D we didn't need to step in the airplane.

I am not sure if I got a clear understanding on this but, do I or do I not need to have a base check to get a type rating? The 500 hours you are talking about doesn't make sense.. I have friends that completed their sim training and base check and then they were flying the line after that..

Thanks..

BillieBob
17th Dec 2009, 16:21
Since your flight school is not a JAR-OPS 1 operator and does not have an approved arrangement with a JAR-OPS 1 operator then it cannot gain approval for ZFTT under JAR-FCL 1 and it will be necessary for its graduates to complete the required training in the aircraft in order to gain a type rating.

The term 'base check' does not exist in JAR-FCL 1; the training requirement, assuming that the candidate has at least 500 hours experience in multi-pilot aeroplanes of similar size and performance, is to complete 4 landings in the aircraft. If the candidate does not meet the experience requirement then he or she must complete 6 landings.

As to the requirement for 500 hours flight time mentioned in my previous post, this is the minimum required to gain entry to a JAA approved ZFTT type rating course. If the landings are completed in the aircraft, it is not a ZFTT course and that particular experience requirement does not apply.

If you intend to seek JAA approval for type rating training, I would respectfully suggest that you take advice from someone who understands thoroughly the requirements. You could otherwise be stumbling blindly into a very expensive minefield.