PDA

View Full Version : Lossiemouth

jamier
16th Dec 2009, 18:32
Hey everyone,

Im doing my AMM training at the moment and am about to fill out my 'Dream Sheet' just wondering if anyone could tell me what lossiemouth is like as im considering putting that down as my number 1 choice or tell me about coningsby and lyneham as all the folders we have with so called information are looking a bit bare!

Thanks

Jamie

cornish-stormrider
16th Dec 2009, 21:04
My info expired in 02 when I environmentaled to Benson, It was a girl.... She's now my wife!

Lossie - great if you want to be far north, it is too far away from the instutional racism the lowland scots display to the english. If you are serious about big time extreme sports Surfing, snowboarding, sailing, hill stuff. flying and can handle the isolation it is the best place in the world. If there was an airforce left with decent civvy prospects for an ex sootie with a stuffed spine and jobs there we would be up there like a shot.

If you go to lossie PLEASE do more than drink and go to Joanna's. there is so much more to see and do.

Softie
16th Dec 2009, 21:25
Jamier

There are 3 types of people who come to Lossie. Those who don't want to come and fight like hell to get away. Those who don't want to come, fall in love with the area and don't want to go. And those who know the secret.

The weather is great, the flying is brilliant (I'm told); the long 18 hour summer days are amazing whereas the short 6 hour winter days are awful; the outdoor pursuit possibilities are unsurpassed; Carlisle is the halfway point if driving to London.

I would not live anywhere else!

camelspyyder
16th Dec 2009, 21:31
not racist????

tell that to my kids who were run out of Lossie High for being English...

and to be honest that was the only reason we relocated to England, otherwise living and working on the Moray coast suited us fine. If you like the outdoor life and don't mind being a long, long way from friends, family, and anything you knew before, its got a lot to offer.

There was another thread along these lines a few months back

CS

The B Word
16th Dec 2009, 21:53
When you're stuck in the back of beyond, there is only Joanna's if you're under 30!

http://i2.bebo.com/029a/5/large/2007/01/16/18/674501728a3228381922b574652250l.jpg
http://i2.bebo.com/010b/large/2006/04/23/21/674501728a674521409b942255018l.jpg

NST
16th Dec 2009, 22:32
Well I am from the far North of Scotland originally and out of my 13 years I spent 7 at Kinloss, just down the road but in the time I spent there the overwhelming majority loved the place. Don't buy into the "all Scot's are racist" idea, there are a minority who are ignorant brain donors up there but I served a tour at Scampton and both me and my new wife got a lot of abuse as one of the few Scottish couples on camp but I don't think all the English are like that. There is good and bad everywhere, and Morayshire is no different. Its a beautiful area and worth seeing.

If it makes a difference all the English guys I knew loved their time in Moray and a couple even settled there after leaving. You will find that the remoteness actually makes people bond together more compared to a camp in England where maybe most of the guys are within easy reach of home and disappear at a weekend. It certainly did during my time there. Plus it might be worth seeing it while there are still camps there to go to !!

berzerker
17th Dec 2009, 09:14
It's a dump in a thirld world country where the blokes wear skirts!!!

NUFC1892
17th Dec 2009, 10:12
There are 3 types of people who come to Lossie. Those who don't want to come and fight like hell to get away. Those who don't want to come, fall in love with the area and don't want to go. And those who know the secret.

I definitely fell into the first category, it took me 49 weeks to get back over the border and it wasn't a day too early. Conversely I have a number of (english) mates who fell (and continue to fall) into the 2nd group and love the place. Very few are indifferent, you either love it or hate it.

touchpaper
17th Dec 2009, 14:43
I didn't know the secret, exchanged to go there and loved the place (so did the family), the only reason I was happy to leave was posted back to germany. Would I go back.... to right I would.

foldingwings
17th Dec 2009, 15:48

I shouldn't really rise but.............****!

Foldie

TheSmiter
17th Dec 2009, 15:56
Jamie, don't go to Lossie it's a complete dump.

You could try Kinloss though, that's in a really nice area. :cool:

Mate, it's the bee's knees up here - just listen for all the English accents to realise how many incomers are happy to make Moray their permanent home. There's more night life than Joanna's now - so my young buddies tell me; but as others have said, you really don't want to come for that. There's a whole lot more to living than boozing and, for a good quality of life I would commend it to you.

Downside - for a youngster it may be a long way from family and home, but hey, you've got to fly the nest sometime!

However, professionally, the long term future of Kin /Lossie may be in doubt so that should be a big factor in your game plan. The decision is yours.

Good luck buddy.

difar69
18th Dec 2009, 11:42
"It's a dump in a thirld world country where the blokes wear skirts!!!"

And this from a man who lives in Lytham? (which I 'll admit along with Wrea Green are redeeming features in an otherwise dump infested part of the country). Are you forgetting the joys of St Annes and its dog poo ridden beach? What about the delights of Freckleton and Warton. Then there is the hole that is Blackpool. Bit more adventurous? You could venture to lovely Preston for a thoroughly miserable day out or check out the delights of Fleetwood and it's run down docks. All this and it doesn't stop raining either.
That part of Lancs has dumps down to a fine art, after 2.5 yrs there couldn't wait to get out.!

green granite
18th Dec 2009, 11:48
Mind you by the time he gets there Brown will have closed it. :(

Lightning Mate
18th Dec 2009, 13:16
"It's a dump in a thirld world country..."

During my happy five years there, living in Hopeman, I found that the locals were very friendly and could spell.

Dan Gerous
18th Dec 2009, 20:01

I dare you to go up there and say that :zzz:

jamier
18th Dec 2009, 20:07
Thanks for the comments. Lossiemouth is going as my no1 choice and im hoping i get it! Should leave cosford mid march assuming all goes well!

RileyDove
18th Dec 2009, 21:42
Jamier - wondering why you don't fancy Coningsby and the chance to travel the world with a new jet ala Typhoon??

GILGYOOPS
18th Dec 2009, 22:52
Are you completely mad? The weather in Moray is awful. Don't believe all that 'midnight sun' crap. Lossie is like Marmite, need I say more. If you are young and single, maybe not the best place for you. It has its pros and cons. Why not get a cheap flight and look for yourself? No, better still, drive it!

jamier
18th Dec 2009, 23:46
Coningsby was my number 1 choice but ive been told ill be very very lucky if i get to go there as its currently full

Vage Rot
19th Dec 2009, 08:44
Gilgyoops has a good point Jamie, drive up and have a look around.

Lossie isn't a bad place to live, Elgin is expanding like crazy, Inverness is a decent night out at the weekend, Aberdeen even better and about the same time to get to. Edinburgh is only 3 hours away, Glasgow 4 hours.

True, it can be cold, damp and dark in the winter but the summer is ok to good. The mountains cause the rain to dump to the South west, so it's fairly dry. Kinloss, just down the road has the best weather factor of any airfield in the UK! Not as warm as down South (obviously!), it's usually about 7-10 degrees cooler up here.

It's true that there isn't much in the way of clubs in Elgin but Joanna's isn't that bad and the local ladies are, hmmm, accommodating!:ok: Just make sure you have Taxi fare available and a number for Buckie taxies!

Come and have a look, phone your prospective section and I'm sure someone will host you.

acmech1954
19th Dec 2009, 19:06
If you do visit, you must remember that it is not the same as living up there we had visitors who loved the area, but living up there on a permenant status is entirely different.
I was posted up there mid 80s, career posting they called it when I tried to fight it for personal reasons. As a family we were pleased when, after 12 months, I was promoted and managed to swap postings with a guy who wanted to stay there.
For those who do not like to get hot, enjoy cold, wind and rain, dark days and light nights then this is the place for you, 15c is a nice summers day and it will still have a cooling breeze, and of course you should ignore the anti English that you will meet, they see it as you are taking Scottish jobs !!
It may have all changed since then, but it still is not one of the most popular postings left and if you put that as your first choice, or any choice then I would say that it is virtually guaranteed.

jamier
20th Dec 2009, 20:29
Dont know if ill get the time to get up there as after xmas i dont think i have any leave till i graduate from cosford in march and our training schedule is so jam packed now if we miss 1 day chances are we'll get recoursed

acmech1954
20th Dec 2009, 21:04
If you are young, free and single, and do not mind being away a lot , why not try Brize, Lyneham to get on the AT fleet or even Odiham on Helicopters. Potentially new kit arriving in those places.

Seldomfitforpurpose
20th Dec 2009, 21:20
All the clues are there, so far folk can only talk about 1 night club, for a young singly that in itself should have the alarm bells ringing :eek:

IMHO Lyneham is would fit your bill way better than Lossie :ok:

ZH875
20th Dec 2009, 21:35
Or do Lyneham until it closes, then opt for Lossiemouth until that closes, then off to sunny Odiham.:ok:

jamier
3rd May 2010, 13:25
Well ive moved up here to Lossie and so far ive been here 6 weeks and love it! Met some really great mates and had a gd few nights out! Would recommend this base to anyone although i cant comment on the local ladies as ive never been sober enough at the end of the night to accomodate them.