PDA

View Full Version : Flyglobespan into administration

Pages : [1] 2

bluepilot
16th Dec 2009, 17:08
BBC News - Flyglobespan goes into administration (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8417183.stm)

Phil Space
16th Dec 2009, 17:11
Travel Trade Gazette also have the story

Flyglobespan goes into administration
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Martin Ferguson

Scottish travel company Globespan Group, which owns web-based flight and package holiday firm Flyglobespan.com, is in the process of entering administration after failing to secure a last-minute investment package, TTG understands.

A source told TTG that papers were in the process of being served to the courts and that a formal statement from Globespan and the CAA would follow.

TTG understands the company's staff has been informed.

UAV689
16th Dec 2009, 17:13
Good luck to all involved - what a horrible time to happen, why do these things always happen at xmas..

Plane Dumb
16th Dec 2009, 17:14
Gutted, was off to ASI tonight. :(

Flew with some good people.

Oh well, at least I'll be home for Christmas!!

A330ETOPS
16th Dec 2009, 17:15
Please correct me if i'm wrong but i heared that Thomson had some interest.....

antonovman
16th Dec 2009, 17:15
"TTG understands the company's staff has been informed."

Well I wasnt informed
Was just about to go and get ready for work tonight
One of the engineers called me
Typical !

spinnaker
16th Dec 2009, 17:19
Before everyone starts talking too fast. Has the company stopped operating/trading? It's the job of the administrators to find a buyer, or even trade out of trouble, if they can.

Callsign Kilo
16th Dec 2009, 17:19
Link to BBC Scotland

http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8417183.stm

Very sorry guys, very sorry indeed. Always held a lot of affection for your operation. It isn't without its ups and downs, but it always seems to hold its own and pulls through the sh1t. I wish someone would come in and save the day. Doesn't deserve to go!

Kestrel_Stu
16th Dec 2009, 17:20
Condolences to those affected, horrible time of year for it to happen.

Bluebaron
16th Dec 2009, 17:20
Doubt Thomson wants it, shedding aircraft and crews like mad. Maybe save a few jobs though?

UAV689
16th Dec 2009, 17:24
Just tried to make a booking reservation, and the site wont allow it, looks like they have stopped - surely if they wished to trade out trouble if you would still be taking the bookings?

I imagine it will be a case of get the a/c back asap, if airports will allow them to depart, much like when excel went under.

awful news. me thinks more to come.

El Grifo
16th Dec 2009, 17:24
Terrible news for all employees, but as for Dalrymple and his witchy sister, not much I can say that would be acceptable here on pprune :suspect:

spinnaker
16th Dec 2009, 17:27
El Grifo

Know what you mean. Those two will be fine I'm sure.

habs_fan
16th Dec 2009, 17:27
still waiting for the call...

thanks a bunch TD

bigdaviet
16th Dec 2009, 17:28
Very sad news indeed, condolences to all involved with the airline and also some sadness as they are a scottish company.

I understood that the airline had made a small profit. Was this just the airline as opposed to the globespan group in general which appears to have gone to the wall.

My holiday in september with globespan was excellent.

Phil Space
16th Dec 2009, 17:31
You hinted a while ago Bob:ugh:

The Real Slim Shady
16th Dec 2009, 17:37
Who are the administrators?

bluepilot
16th Dec 2009, 17:39
quote from the BBC:

A statement is expected soon from PricewaterhouseCoopers, (PWC) which has been appointed as administrator.

Scott Diamond
16th Dec 2009, 17:40
PricewaterhouseCoopers are the administrators.

Sad news indeed.

david.craig
16th Dec 2009, 17:40
From BBC News:
BBC News - Flyglobespan goes into administration (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8417183.stm)

"Set up in 2002, the company operates from five UK airports, including Prestwick, Edinburgh and Aberdeen."

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall them ever operating out of PIK?

Is Alba Handling wholly owned by the Globespan Group? Will that be them gone as well. They hold the Flybe contract @ Glasgow, had quite an impact on Servisair when they wont that contract.

Callsign Kilo
16th Dec 2009, 17:43
Ops commenced from PIK and EDI. PIK operation was moved to GLA. I'm sure ABZ was seasonal. It may have become year round

Vampy
16th Dec 2009, 17:45
Feel bad for the staff but frankly, I'm amazed they've lasted this long into the recession.

Their customer service was appalling, changing flight schedules and/or aircraft with little notice. I remember them flying from Liverpool to New York on what started as a 757. If you were lucky you only got a 7hour delay each way. But then, when they started flying the 737, it could be even worse.

Like I say, feel bad for the staff but this has been a long time coming.

david.craig
16th Dec 2009, 17:47
Ah!
Was the PIk presence short lived?

Unusual to go by Glasgow Airport on the M8 without at least one Globespan aircraft on the west pier recently. There's going to be a few empty gates for a while.

david.craig
16th Dec 2009, 17:50
Does this surprise anyone??

Ryanair - News : Globespan Rescue Fare - £89 (http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/gen-en-161209)

PAXboy
16th Dec 2009, 17:53
It is closed down, this from Scotland's biggest airline collapses - News & Advice, Travel - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/scotlands-biggest-airline-collapses-1842768.html)
The group, which has persistently denied stories written by the Independent that was in financial peril, has had its licence to operate revoked by the Civil Aviation Authority, the airline industry regulator
As is often the case, it appears to be a cash flow problem that tipped them over.

A and C
16th Dec 2009, 17:53
I am Very sorry for the employees, some of who have only just got over the failure of Zoom & XL

Callsign Kilo
16th Dec 2009, 17:55
Nothing like rubbing salt into a gaping wound, heh Vampy? Yes the transatlantic operation was littered with problems, however they faught hard and long to resolve it. I thought that some of their subsquent AMCI contracts including the MOD flights were going to be the masterstroke that would ensure future longevity. They also managed to rid the 733s and 736s at reasonable costs I believe. There were obviously some individuals making positive contributions.

Its a real sh1tter. Always loved to see the red n' white colour scheme at GLA and EDI

purplehelmet
16th Dec 2009, 17:57
all flight ops suspended..
very sad.. good luck to all.

WHBM
16th Dec 2009, 17:58
It seems the Ryanair "rescue" fare for a one way flight back from Spain when holding a Flyglobespan ticket are significantly more expensive than booking the same flights in the normal way on the Ryanair website.

For example Alicante to Prestwick "rescue" fare is £89 one way, whereas normal bookable fares over the next 6 days on the Ryanair website are 44, 29 and 39 Euros, with some days sold out.

chickenstrips
16th Dec 2009, 18:02
AFAIK, only staff due to operate/position tonight or tomorrow have been advised. I’ve heard nothing at all from the company.

The Head Master and The Wicked Witch have a lot to answer for…..!!!!

Cluster Bomb
16th Dec 2009, 18:02
According to an article, "all staff have been informed". The managers at Alba didn't know, and we still haven't been told.

DavyDay will be dancing for joy in the streets by now, singing "I told you so, I told you so ..."

david.craig
16th Dec 2009, 18:03
That would be Ryanair playing the game.
Lets hope people are smart enough to check the usual fare first. It would certinally be my first instinct, I couldnt imagine paying 89 Euros with Ryanair. Not knocking them, I use them frequently, but never at that price!

openfly
16th Dec 2009, 18:04
How sad and at this time of the year. Sorry gals and guys...flew as a pax with you several times and was always made to feel very welcome.
Maybe the BA cc will realise that a job isn't for life...funny old world!

Capetonian
16th Dec 2009, 18:05
Ryanair Rescue Fare

I had a quick look on the Ryanair website (before I saw David Craig's posting ......) and their normal one way fares for several of the routes and dates on this offer are lower than the £89 'rescue' fare.

I appreciate that the Ryanair fares will go up as soon as people start booking, and that the £89 is probably guaranteed (with lots of small print I'm sure), but it is nevertheless a cynical and nasty piece of marketing.

Going Out From Glasgow (Prestwick) - Alicante
« Previous Week Next Week »
Wed, 16 Dec 09
Thu, 17 Dec 09
Fri, 18 Dec 09
from
44.99 GBP Sat, 19 Dec 09
Sun, 20 Dec 09
from
29.99 GBP Mon, 21 Dec 09
from
39.99 GBP Tue, 22 Dec 09

Coming Back From Alicante - Glasgow (Prestwick)
« Previous Week Next Week »
Mon, 21 Dec 09
from
39.99 GBP Tue, 22 Dec 09
Wed, 23 Dec 09
from
29.99 GBP Thu, 24 Dec 09
Fri, 25 Dec 09
Sat, 26 Dec 09
Sun, 27 Dec 09
from
21.99 GBP

waco
16th Dec 2009, 18:11
.......I worked for GSM for a few months.........and met some of the finest people I have ever had the pleasure of working with. I wish you all the very, very, very best of luck.

occasional
16th Dec 2009, 18:11
An airline which I will miss !

Callsign Kilo
16th Dec 2009, 18:12
Maybe the BA cc will realise that a job isn't for life...funny old world!

Hopefully it gives them some sort of food for thought. Despite what their deluded union may believe, their cash hemorhaging airline is as vulnerable as any other. The airline industry has sank to untold depths. It is beyond belief what is happening at unite

RED WINGS
16th Dec 2009, 18:13
Are we really shocked by Ryanair??? I hope no one puts any money in there filthy pockets!! I wish it was them and not the guys and gals at Globespan!

My thoughts are with you all and hope new year will bring you all better news.

purplehelmet
16th Dec 2009, 18:15
bbc scotland tv.text news.
globespan was in contact with about 5000 pax booked or traveling with the airline.
the majority of the staff have been made redundent.
blimey that was quick..

philpeters
16th Dec 2009, 18:16
So that bloke at the Independent was right after all. Grim news.

diesel862
16th Dec 2009, 18:18
As an ex Zoomie my thoughts are with all at Globespan.

Lets hope something can come out of the ashes.

Best of luck.

Vince

PPRuNeUser0178
16th Dec 2009, 18:21
Does anyone know if the SSH-EDI got airborne tonight befor ethe news broke?

Mr Angry from Purley
16th Dec 2009, 18:23
Crap timing

To all ex Silverjet / Zoom / XL Pilots there, aaaaaaghh :\

david.craig
16th Dec 2009, 18:23
From BAA arrivals:

21:50 GSM572 SHARM EL SHEIK EXPECTED 2150

Given that its on time, it may be possible that the 'Expected' was added as re-assurance?

w3andw4d
16th Dec 2009, 18:26
Very sorry to hear this.

Bad news for the industry and bad news for Scotland.
I worked for the company in ABZ a couple of years ago where they generally provided a great service over the summer.

My thoughts are with all affected employees at this time.

Plane Dumb
16th Dec 2009, 18:30
Hmmm, maybe time for a career change...
Zoom
XL
GSM

Gutted because the 767 ACMI operation was IMHO good, the ACMIs were breaking even & the crews did their utmost to make things work for the client...... Really pee'd off as got to start looking for a new job AGAIN.

The Real Slim Shady
16th Dec 2009, 18:31
Are we really shocked by Ryanair??? I hope no one puts any money in there filthy pockets!!

Red Wings, the fare is a guaranteed one way fare on presentation of a Globespan booking reference at check in, regardless of how high the web fare goes.

Have some thought for the passengers left high and dry by the collapse instead of venting your frustrations.

flybar
16th Dec 2009, 18:32
Full details have now been posted on both the CAA & Globespan's Websites. Good luck to all

bluepilot
16th Dec 2009, 18:34
from the flyglobespan web site;

Bruce Cartwright, Graham Frost and Ian Oakley-Smith at PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) have been appointed as joint administrators to Scottish travel firm, The Globespan Group plc and Alba Ground Handling Ltd (‘the Group’) on 16 December 2009. It is likely that other Group companies including the airline which operated as Flyglobespan will be placed into administration on 17 December 2009.

The companies entered into Administration having suffered liquidity issues.

Unfortunately, the Joint Administrators have been unable to continue trading the companies and therefore all flights operated by The Globespan Group plc or Globespan Airlines Ltd have been cancelled and the aircraft grounded.

Low Flier
16th Dec 2009, 18:36
When Paddy Power was offering odds of 6 to 4 that Globspan would be the next to go tits up I really should have punted a coupla Grand.

When the Wicked Witch of the North was so loudly proclaiming that the company's finances were sound I actually said: "Methinks the lady doth protest too much".

When him indoors was bragging his fantasies about the "dreamliner" I just knew that he'd lost contact with reality and that it would end in tears for those who were so gullible that they got sucked in.

I actually feel sorry for the suckers.

dicanio10
16th Dec 2009, 18:38
Really sorry to hear this news. Flew to SFB twice, BCN and STN when they flew out of EDI. Very friendly efficient crew.
Good luck to the GSM staff that post on here, even they were helpful. Hope you all get something better soon.

fincastle84
16th Dec 2009, 18:39
I know how you feel. I was employed by European Aviation Air Charter when we failed 1 Dec 2008.

You have my deepest sympathy.

issi noho
16th Dec 2009, 18:43
i really enjoyed my time with gsm, i'm grateful for the opportunities it gave me. shop floor staff are some of the best i've worked with and very professional throughout, i hope you dont have to wait long before you are all snapped up.

sorry for the customers too

sad days for all involved and the worst time for these things to happen as always.

Cluster Bomb
16th Dec 2009, 18:46
No wages for us this month( or any other). It's terrible that we have to find out that we have lost our jobs through the internet and not face to face from management, not that any of us at Alba have ever met Tom Dalrymple.

Rosta Change!
16th Dec 2009, 18:47
Geez !!
So sorry for all involved, there is always talk of the poor pax when this happens but never any mention of the guys and girls permanantly affected. How many people are involved?

spinnaker
16th Dec 2009, 18:52
Cluster Bomb

not that any of us at Alba have ever met Tom Dalrymple.You have missed absolutely nothing.

habs_fan
16th Dec 2009, 18:57
Closes i ever came to meeting TD was when i checked in one of his oldist friends during the summer with his 47kg of excess and set of golf what i was not aloud to charge him for.

alba are allways the last to know anything and we never find out threw globespan

average bloke
16th Dec 2009, 19:00
Sympathy to all. Having been there last year I know what a blow it is, especially at this time of year. Best of luck to all.

Red Wings, you are a complete and utter idiot: the fare is a guaranteed one way fare on presentation of a Globespan booking reference at check in, regardless of how high the web fare goes.

Have some thought for the passengers left high and dry by the collapse instead of venting your frustrations.

Slim, you are pathetic. You have not offered any condolences to the employees, and are using this for more promotion of your pikey outfit. The pax don't lose their livelihood, only a ticket. You should be ashamed. :=

silverstreak
16th Dec 2009, 19:08
In the case of an airline going bust, isnt it the case that insurance cover stops at the same time? Therefor, SSH-EDI tonight is enroute requiring an immediate divert to the nearest airfield relative to the aircrafts position...

Have friends involved, who found out via BBC Scotland - NO official notification from the company...

Very best of luck to all the staff at both Globespan and Alba. You did your best. Hold your heads high.

As for the illustrious leaders (Uncle Tom and little sister), youre just too late for this years panto season... Maybe next year!

What a week for Mr OLeary! First the BA strike and then GSM... Christmas come early?

SouBE
16th Dec 2009, 19:19
Guys
To all GSM crew and staff, my thoughts really are with you. As an ex-Zoomie who was there at the very end I know what a sh**ty time it is. But in the words of one of my favourite cabin managers "Be brave sweetheart, be brave". Time is great healer.

Perhaps some of our industry colleagues should realise that they should be grateful they have a job to go to......

Good luck all.

x

spinnaker
16th Dec 2009, 19:21
silverstreak

The PWC web site says the airline is likely to go into administration tomorrow 17/12/2009. So I would assume the AC are still insured.

Here is a snip from the pwc press release:

"Bruce Cartwright, Graham Frost and Ian Oakley-Smith at PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) have been appointed as joint administrators to Scottish travel firm, The Globespan Group plc and Alba Ground Handling Ltd (‘the Group’) at the request of the Globespan directors on 16 December 2009. It is likely that other Group companies, including the airline which operated as Flyglobespan, will be placed into administration on 17 December 2009."

But they go on to say flight ops will cease this evening.

The Real Slim Shady
16th Dec 2009, 19:26
Average Bloke

I would place you in the the "Holy Wullie" category but I doubt that you would understand the reference.

May I refer you to my post yesterday in the Airlines, Airports and Routes (http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/345396-flyglobespan-8-merged-47.html#post5381796).

Would 737 Captain David....worked for Inter Ekspress in Antalya before GSM, please PM me ref another job.

Donkey497
16th Dec 2009, 19:39
Bruce Cartwright, Graham Frost and Ian Oakley-Smith at PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) have been appointed as joint administrators to Scottish travel firm, The Globespan Group plc and Alba Ground Handling Ltd (‘the Group’) on 16 December 2009. It is likely that other Group companies including the airline which operated as Flyglobespan will be placed into administration on 17 December 2009.

The companies entered into Administration having suffered liquidity issues.

Unfortunately, the Joint Administrators have been unable to continue trading the companies and therefore all flights operated by The Globespan Group plc or Globespan Airlines Ltd have been cancelled and the aircraft grounded.

Interesting wording of the press release.

Having read through it a couple of times, I get the impression that FlyGlobespan would appear to be the part that is NOT causing the problem. Reading the first part again, it seems to me from the wording to be the parent company & Alba that are the problems here.

Still at the end of the day, despite what appears to be good set of load factors in the latest route figures, a lot of good folks are likely to find themselves having to look for a new employer & a lot of fairly convenient routes are going to disappear. Let's all hope for a quick and positive resolution.

AES
16th Dec 2009, 19:43
Gents,

It gives me no pleasure whatsoever, but here is a direct quote from today's issue of Air Intel Daily News, dated 16th December - a source that I've found pretty reliable up to now.

QUOTE:
FlyGlobespan (UK) collapses after funding package arrives too late. All scheduled services halted as carrier goes into administration.
UNQUOTE:

Best wishes to all involved - certainly NOT the best Xmas present.

Krgds
AES

spinnaker
16th Dec 2009, 19:46
Donkey497

Maybe not. They are just dumping everything that isn't required to keep an aeroplane in the sky. As soon as the assets are on home turf, that's it. If there are any departures still due, getting a fuel load will be interesting. Bet they haven't though of that. My advice to captains is, keep your credit cards well and truly locked away. If the company/administrators tell you that you get re-reimbursed on landing in the uk, it's a lie, tell them you don't have a credit card since the credit crunch.

average bloke
16th Dec 2009, 19:51
I would place you in the the "Holy Wullie" category but I doubt that you would understand the reference.
I never did like Robert Burns.

The Real Slim Shady
16th Dec 2009, 19:59
You could, however, have the good grace to retract your patently ill-informed remark.

As an aside, to the Captains with 737 TRs, FR are still accepting applications for DEC positions: please see the website for details.

Regrettably, there no FO positions although SFOs coming up to command may wish to check with recruitment: if you can't get through please PM me and I will check and post the response here.

lgweng
16th Dec 2009, 19:59
Sorry to hear this bad news, I've worked with you folk around the patch for a few years. Hope the new year brings you better news.

eng.

average bloke
16th Dec 2009, 20:04
Fair enough - retracted. I was not aware of your post on another forum.

nivsy
16th Dec 2009, 20:04
I would like to spare a thought for the passengers as well who have booked directly with the airline perhaps without credit card and are likely not to see their money. Also (like the threatened BA strike), had holidays ruined and most probably their Christmas also.

Sympathies to the staff and to their booked pax. I also have had some good trips with GSM from and to AGP.

Nivsy

The Real Slim Shady
16th Dec 2009, 20:10
Average, thank you.

Now let's apply ourselves to trying our best to find jobs for the GSM staff.

It couldn't have happened at a worse time of year: since the people haven't been paid how about we all contribute to a Xmas Help the GSM Colleagues Fund?

flybar
16th Dec 2009, 20:11
From BBC News Website:-

Managing director, Gordon Dewar said: "This is a sad day for the Scottish aviation industry.
"However, our immediate attention must turn to the thousands of passengers who were due to fly with the airline over the coming months.
"We are already holding urgent discussions with a number of other airlines and are hopeful of replacing much of the capacity that has been lost from Flyglobespan going into administration."

No regrets about the staff then!!

silverstreak
16th Dec 2009, 20:12
With regard to GSM going under, and the BA cabin crew striking...

The BA cabin crews dont know what its like to do a shift - NO REALLY...
Try an EDI-SSH-EDI in one day. No, didnt think you would, could or even contemplate! Too much like hard work.

The molly-coddling that goes on in BA is absurd. The pampering of egos, the overheads and the idea that BA is the worlds favorite airline... PLEASE....

Why not offer some of the BA shorthaul network to GSM next week? Would certainly help everyone...

LeadingEdge
16th Dec 2009, 20:12
I worked for GSM back in 2006/2007, based out of GLA flying the -300 only. These six months were a great experience. I had the opportunity to meet some very fine aviators, and the flights down to BCN or the Canaries were always fun. Good crews, fun routes and living right at the waterfront in GLA in a brand new appartment was just great. My thoughts are with you, guys and gals. Please don't hesitate to PM me if you need help with whatsoever.

LE

The Real Slim Shady
16th Dec 2009, 20:20
Folks

The staff at Globespan have been left high and dry 1 week before Xmas.

They won't be paid this month.

Would you help?

I have been in the same situation and neither the JobCentre nor the Union are capable of helping: I'm not suggesting that we can collectively pay everyones salary, but we could, with the tiniest bit of seasonal spirit and at minimal cost to ourselves make a contribution.

If 1000 people would donate £100 we could give all of the aircrew and cabin crew a substantial boost.

If more people donate we could extend the assistance to office and ground staff.

What do you think.

I'm in.

skygirl4724
16th Dec 2009, 20:23
omg not again god bless you all you know who you are

Checkboard
16th Dec 2009, 20:26
While I appreciate the sentiment (and I've been made redundant myself) it's a fairly silly (read - unworkable) suggestion.

Gulpers
16th Dec 2009, 20:34
To all Globespan people - sorry to hear the news.

Jet2 might be worth a look. Right type ratings and were recruiting recently. Plus, up north.

fantom
16th Dec 2009, 20:36
As an ex-Air Europe employee, knowing what you are going through, might you consider a donation to Unite or BASSA?

No, I didn't think so.

Shortflyer
16th Dec 2009, 20:43
Sorry to ask at such a time but could anyone shed any numbers on the number of pilots affected. (Purely a selfish interest as another out of work pilot sorry)

parcelpuppy
16th Dec 2009, 20:46
History Repeats Itself.

Sorry To All Employees And Stranded Pax.

Maybe Now Some Of You Will Remember The Cougar Leasing Ltd Fiasco.their Directors Managed To Get Away With 40 Usd $) Million In Debt And Start Up Globespan From The Ashes. Some Of Us Are Still Owed Hundreds Of £ Thousands.

All Those Guys Who Have Happily Ignored My Posts Over The Last Few Years And Praised Flyglobespan May Now See Things In A Different Light Now They Have To Face The Realities Of How Administration Is Corrupt And Only Benefits The Directors.

chickenstrips
16th Dec 2009, 20:52
Shortflyer,

I'd think in the order of say 40+ ish line pilots on each fleet 80-90 in total!!

So with Thompson, BMI Baby, BMI Mainline.... infact, I don't want to add it up!!

Plane Dumb
16th Dec 2009, 21:10
I hear through the grapevine that Air Italy are doing tomorrows Falkland run.....

HandoverRichard
16th Dec 2009, 21:12
Normally I don't bother cluttering threads if I'm not saying anything new, but let me add my sincerest sympathies to all who worked there.

I personally know several pilots there...all top-class people.

Can I still try to wish them all a merry Xmas and a much better new year, without sounding ridiculous?

Handover

packsonflite
16th Dec 2009, 21:18
Only just heard the news!!!

Retired from GSM in August after 4 very happy years. Good luck to everyone for the future.

74woko
16th Dec 2009, 21:45
A few years back I had the privilege of being sacked from GSM by TD personally (asked for a day off).

Flyglobespan - nice/terrible at the same time. Lot of decent people there, but the management - my goodness, they were something else! Should have been on TV. From the FOD dwarf, thru the engineering head honcho (hire in for 3 days, pay for 2), to the blonde hit-lady at TD's side, and the witch-sister, all the way to the niece (an amazing specimen) - what a cast ! What a set-up !

All my sympathies to the good guys I worked with - did their best against tall odds - and with NEVER a word of thanks.

Hope you're all back working soon.

fred22
16th Dec 2009, 21:52
As a member of a family greatly affected by this I would like to express disgust at the B.A fiasco, and rage that the directors of globe span seem to have left their now ex-staff nothing. To not get paid the week before christmas is sick. The B.A dollies need to wake up and smell the bloody pay check.

luftschwein
16th Dec 2009, 21:59
Anyone notice that Zoom, XL, SkyEurope and now Globespan were all having their credit card processing done by E-Clear? I wonder how much of customers money they have taken? Sounds like too much of a coincidence to me.

Constant Speed DU
16th Dec 2009, 21:59
Awful news!

1station
16th Dec 2009, 22:01
To all at GSM and Alba I feel for you at this time of year. I had many happy years handling GSM and can honestly say you were the best crews of the many many airlines I have had the opportunity to handle.

Good luck to all those involved my thoughts are with you.

andylogan
16th Dec 2009, 22:03
Tonight at Edinburgh Haymarket station I unfortunately had to see a group of GSM staff standing on the platform in tears, some on phones telling explaining to their loved ones etc others just looking in shock...I've never been more tempted to drag a group of strangers into a bar...

My sympathy and best wishes to all affected.
Being made redundant a year ago today was hellish for me, I did get paid and did get above statuatory redundancy etc it was still a terrible time for me. I really feel for you all. Good luck!

habs_fan
16th Dec 2009, 22:04
E-clear were apparently holding back money of ticket sales untill the customer made the return flight and some times even longer.

I dont know how globespan were'nt making money we took £210,000 in excess alone in the summer not including seat sales and baggage check fee's at edi and the flights were allways full or near full during the summer

and now am with out job a week before christmas

akerosid
16th Dec 2009, 22:11
As an SLF, really sorry to hear about Flyglobespan - and so close to Christmas; sincere commiserations to habs_fan and all your colleagues.

I wish you all the best; meanwhile, some happy memories to look back on ...

JetPhotos.Net Photo » G-CDPT (CN: 29388) Flyglobespan Boeing 767-319(ER) by John Fitzpatrick (http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6681382&nseq=0)

JetPhotos.Net Photo » G-CDRB (CN: 28305) Flyglobespan Boeing 737-683 by John Fitzpatrick (http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6033638&nseq=3)

v man
16th Dec 2009, 22:13
Sad news. A very difficult time for all the crew and staff at Globespan. Our thoughts are with you all tonight.

This is a great loss to Scottish aviation - a huge gap in the market now.

Good luck to all.

The Real Slim Shady
16th Dec 2009, 22:17
I posted a new thread which was DELETED!!!!!

No doubt this will go too.

In the intervening time....

Please offer to donate £100 via PM to the FlyGlobespan Help the Colleagues Fund.

No money taken until we have 100K in pledges.

It's Xmas.

Come on folks....1000 of us can make a huge a difference for the GSM pilots and cabin crew.

Please PM me.

I have me and 1 other so far.

Ivor Fynn
16th Dec 2009, 22:23
Let me guess, you and leo hairy camel? Bet you two clowns are rubbing your hands together already.:=:=

Ivor

BarbiesBoyfriend
16th Dec 2009, 22:30
habs fan

If that's true about E clear then plainly they have a lot to answer for.

It was mentioned Newsnight tonight that E clear were holding back money.

I can see how a cash flow prob could develop if this is whats been going on.

Who IS E Clear anyway?

Clandestino
16th Dec 2009, 22:34
The people who kept SkyEurope alive, or so they say. (http://www.ttglive.com/c/portal/layout?p_l_id=61139&CMPI_SHARED_articleId=2668848&CMPI_SHARED_ImageArticleId=2668848&CMPI_SHARED_CommentArticleId=2668848&CMPI_SHARED_ToolsArticleId=2668848&CMPI_SHARED_articleIdRelated=2668848)

Little Blue
16th Dec 2009, 22:34
Just left Colinton about an hour ago.
Big Stu turned the lights off !!!
Gutted. Things happen for a reason.
Good luck to us all..and it's been a pleasure working with such fantastic staff.:ok::ok:

honest man
16th Dec 2009, 22:37
operated from Prestwick for first full summer to Malaga,Nice and Palma

luftschwein
16th Dec 2009, 22:39
Don't see how holding onto someone else's money keep them in business. Would you trust a guy named Elias Elia? Is this name for real?

Clandestino
16th Dec 2009, 22:47
Eerm... no reason not to trust him on the base of his name alone. However, I wouldn't trust him just because he's a CEO. Skillful deceit is en vogue with management class today and the most skillful, as usual, get to the top.

Brenoch
16th Dec 2009, 22:59
Were a couple of posts deleted or what? TRSS, You are not making any sense whatsoever.

GSM SCOT
16th Dec 2009, 23:07
I don't know who they informed but i don't know ANY crew member that was informed by the company.
The company let crew position to airports all over Europe this afternoon for the Scan ways contract that was to start tomorrow. When we landed we had text messages and missed calls from fellow crew members telling us the company had went into receivership, nothing from the company.
When we contacted the company we were informed that we would have to make our own way home as there was no money available to buy our tickets.
Right now there are crew out in India and Saudi Arabia who have to pay there own flights home.
The directors must have known that this was likely to happen but we were assured that all was well and it was business as usual.

The owner is ranked as the 7th richest man in Scotland, well Mr Dalrymple how about you paying your staffs wages that we are all due for last month. I'm sure you won't be struggling to pay the mortgage or buy Christmas presents.

Good luck to all the employees and work colleagues, its been a pleasure and i have lots of happy memories from the last 6 years.

Brenoch
16th Dec 2009, 23:08
No I got that bit but surely, something must have led up to that other than the Eerm... no reason not to trust him on the base of his name alone. However, I wouldn't trust him just because he's a CEO. Skillful deceit is en vogue with management class today and the most skillful, as usual, get to the top. which clearly refers to the CEO of E clear.

SHUNT
16th Dec 2009, 23:10
TRSS, Congrats! I didn't think it possible, You have sunk to an all time low. You are the worst this industry has to offer.... Cretin.

AI101
16th Dec 2009, 23:12
first of all sorry to all the guys at gsm hope they all get jobs soon, for those of you who were slacking the ryanair rescue fair of £89 saying it's more then wahts on there website should read carefully the £89 is including taxes and charges and is valid even on the day of travel at check in no matter what the price on the website, i dont see easyjet or anyone else offering to help. Ryanair has also offered the CAA their aircraft and crew to help bring back stranded pax just as they did at the time Excel went down (when excel in germany didnt help their own brand in the uk).

TDK mk2
16th Dec 2009, 23:13
The Real Slim Shady:

If he / she wishes to be abusive about FR so be it: when I, me, one person, try to assist, and all I get is abuse, frankly, y'all are on your own.

I can speak with FR recruitment, find out what the latest deal is...I don't make the rules...and advise people.

I have a very small amount of influence with who gets a YES and who gets NO: basically, if I say NO you don't get a job. If I say YES you get an assessment.

Clandestino.....apology.

GOTTIT!

So you're threatening to block Globespan pilots applications to your 'establishment' because someone offended you?? You're a really sweet guy aren't you...

The Real Slim Shady has deleted the post this was quoted from, and another where he explicitly said he would stop any Globespan pilots from getting jobs at his company unless he got an apology from Clandestino. For what was not clear.

Diabolus
16th Dec 2009, 23:22
Parcelpuppy,

I think your history may be a little hazy. The Directors of Cougar Leasing Ltd did not start up Flyglobespan from the ashes of the defunct AD-Hoc/Cargo Airline at all. Flyglobespan was already a going concern at the time of Cougars possibly well planned demise around May 2003. They sold off the AOC to GSM and a few of the old GCR Directors and the former owner wheedled their way into various positions at GSM. I believe that most of them (if not all) had since departed long before the sad end of GSM operations.

Very bad time of the year for an announcement like this.

ILoadMyself
16th Dec 2009, 23:27
Globespan used to make a shed-load of income from depositing fares with "the Banks". I know. TD hawked his credentials, less than elegantly, to an organisation I represented then, some years ago, whilst conducting a beauty contest of financial institutions

No doubt EZY and RYR did too. These are hard financial times for everyone except "the Banks", it seems. Banks are a protected species in "post-Princess Tone Broon's Britain". But EZY and RYR still survive and will prosper. The management are obviously focused on future opportunities. The recession will end, sooner or later.

GSM, on the other hand, may well have been less focused on future opportunities and more focused on the welfare of one man. If reports are true.

This from the Scotsmanland Daily Comic (http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/news/Travellers-hit-as-Scottish-Flyglobespan.5918666.jp#4728864)

"I flew with flygobespan just the once.

It's the only time the handling agent's scales at EDI have disagreed with my digital bathroom scales. 30 squiddly didd was wrenched from my credit card on that departure for Menorca.

As our family walked across the ramp it came as a surprise to find we were embarking on a Jet2 flying bus.

Many friends and colleagues have sung the praises of flyglobespan over the years and I can only attribute this to the excellent customer care of the cabin crews who indulge the whims of the self-loading freight.

The management at Colinton did not receive equal acclaim from a couple I met in Palma when their GSM failed to materialise one sunny Sunday morn to return its 180 pax payload to Auld Reekie.

Thoughts are with all staff let down by TD & Co a week before Christmas and the 3,000 pax stranded in foreign climes.
"

Someone will step into the breach and take up the routes, re-employ the loyal staff and fulfil the dreams of ordinary pax.

To TD - hope yer next one's a hedgehog. In perpetuity. Ad painful nauseam.

the bald eagle
How many people did GSM employ?

BarbiesBoyfriend
Clandestino

Thanks for that significant link, which seems to implicate/ involve E Clear in many of the recent airline downfalls.

I'd hate to be at the mercy of bunch like these guys.

6000PIC
17th Dec 2009, 01:37
I think what GSM Scot said is very important. Several management staff must have been aware of these events as the timeline unfolded. Who knew what , and when they knew it should be thoroughly examined, and those found complicit in this deceit should be held accountable. TD should be forced to pay salaries even at the cost of liquidating assets. Paying your way back from abroad when away at work ??? How dare they !!! Companies should never be allowed to conduct business this way !! When the rich get off unscathed at the expense of the working masses... well that`s when a revolt should commence. Absolutely unbelievable in 2009.

NOT ORANGE
17th Dec 2009, 02:42
Very sorry to hear this sad news,have been made redundant twice in my career and have great sympathy and the week before Xmas!I don't think companies should let things get so bad and then hide behind the liquidators.Anyway good luck,things will pick up in time.

Tiramisu
17th Dec 2009, 03:21
To all the Flyglobespan Crew and Staff,

So sorry to hear of your plight. My heart goes out to you.
I feel so ashamed that so many of my colleagues at BA are about to strike for minimal changes to our working practises.

Thinking of you all at this very difficult time.

doubleu-anker
17th Dec 2009, 04:44
Real shame.

Sad old world really, when you have people working hard to keep the thing a float, therefore ensuring employment.

On the other hand you have a pack of clowns doing their best to destroy BA.

I would rather see BA sink, along with all the arrogant dinosaurs employed there, than an outfit like GS.

aiming point
17th Dec 2009, 05:47
Hopefully the Unions that the Flyglobespan crew and staff belong to will be able to assist them in every way possible. Not a good time to be on your own.

Good Luck.

merrick
17th Dec 2009, 06:51
I worked for GSM in EDI for a very short while, although it was a nice place to work and a great team of people the writing was on the wall (in my opinion). The big man at the top didnt seem to care about anybody but himself.

I received the "hairdryer" treatment from him on a few occasions!!

niceguy
17th Dec 2009, 06:52
Do they give out the rose tinted specs before or after the smoke filled cabin experience in training, i cant quite remember!

Reading this lot you would think aviation life is a big party, run solely for the benefit of cc, but it aint. this is a very hard, risky business with vast sums of cash required, immense numbers in every direction (both pax and bills), huge risks to anyone stupid enough to invest now and bewilderd unions who have no concept of the real world.

Having worked in a much hated 'management' role in the past I can tell you that most guys at the top put in at least 3 times the hours that cc put put in trying to keep the business afloat. Over the 4 years I had my job i wasn't once paid to stay over in florida or spend a few days in tenerife on the beach but was blamed, along with the rest of 'management' when we simply lost the cash flow war and the game was over.

The alarming thing to me reading through these threads is that the safety trained waiters could all do a much better job than 'the management' (so it seems), yet few even understand the basic truth that pax x price = revenue... revenue less cost = profit and these days there isnt any!

beardy
17th Dec 2009, 07:21
Well Mr (not-so-niceguy), it seems the safety trained waiters couldn't have done a worse job than you and your much vaunted management. There are profits to be made out there, Thomas Cook and TUI seem to be doing OK. Bring on the safety trained waiters I say.

A and C
17th Dec 2009, 07:31
Ryanair may or may not be the white knight that you see them as but one part of your post was totaly mis-informed.

When XL went under XL Germany had a full flying program as did XL France, and shortly after XL Germany had a big tech issue with one of the B738's.

In short both the German & French XL sub parts did not have the capacity to help out as you put it..................how do I know?...........I lost my job at XL UK while being attached to XL Germany.

matkat
17th Dec 2009, 07:36
DIABOLUS, you are indeed correct in your information regarding the cougar AOC and FGS and as far as I am aware the remnants of CL left the company winter of 2007 initials being KN I was actualy there when him and TD had a rather large "bust up" you know the type I mean, stick your job etc. I cannot say I particulary liked KN but to be fair he stuck it to TD (who he refered to in the B/Room as No.1:yuk:) that day after that TD remployed one of aviations most loathed men DHugs. i suppose the writting was on the wall then, anyway I had a good time there and sorry for the staff but again I repeat not for TD,RG(fall guy)KB(who's the Daddy?) DSar. or the papermill man BCa.

easyboy22
17th Dec 2009, 07:37
AI101
Also Easyjet offered flights for £60 yesterday
so your outfit not the White knight you think...
Let's just hope people can get home whichever way.

Orange Peel
17th Dec 2009, 07:49
easyJet rescue package for Globespan passengers

Following the announcement that Globespan has suspended its operations, easyJet, the largest UK airline, will offer those passengers stranded a special rescue fee of £60 (including taxes) to return home on the routes where our flights overlap with those of Globespan. These are:
Faro to Glasgow
Malaga to Glasgow
Alicante to Glasgow
Faro to Edinburgh
Malaga to Edinburgh
Alicante to Edinburgh
Geneva to Edinburgh
easyJet has made this offer available to any Globespan passengers due return home on these routes during the fourteen days (offer available until 23:59 - 30th December).
To claim the exclusive £60 rescue package, passengers should call easyJet customer services on one of the numbers listed below.
Passengers must provide the agent with their Globespan booking reference number and present their Globespan booking confirmation at check-in as further proof of booking.
From UK: 0871 244 2366
From Spain: 807 0700 70
From Switzerland: 0900 000 258
If you are calling from a country not listed above, you can call us on +44 871 244 2366.
-ENDS-
Notes to Editors: Offer includes all taxes and charges.
For further information contact Andrew McConnell in the easyJet Press Office on 01582 52 52 52 or email: [email protected]

daisy120
17th Dec 2009, 07:52
Sorry to hear the firm is on the slab guys, a bad time for all. The handful of crew who recently didn't have their contracts renewed must be counting mixed blessings but ultimately, even the pundits had GS on the cards as the next post XL failure. Irrespective of Mr Niceguys' comment on management, this was a text book, mismanaged airline from the start. The debacle over lost ETOPS, poor comms with crews, false promises and MOD contracts all bake an inedible cake. If it wasn't for the resolve of crew, some of whom placed their heads on the block, just to keep the firm flying, the outfit would have gone belly up in 2007. As always, its the coal face that gets shafted and undoubtedly, Mr D will pad his nest to fight another day. Best of luck guys (n gals).:uhoh:

spinnaker
17th Dec 2009, 07:53
matkat

Where did KN go to?

License to Fly
17th Dec 2009, 08:02
I wonder if this is the start of the Governments new ADP tax hike's kicking in to the airline industry ...

matkat
17th Dec 2009, 08:04
Spinn, sorry I don't know, after his sacking/resignation he appeared a few times at EDI airport to meet with Mkee. as far as I was aware he just went home and drove his Aston.

spinnaker
17th Dec 2009, 08:05
License to Fly

I wonder if this is the start of the Governments new ADP tax hike's kicking in to the airline industry ...

I doubt it, its more about the ability of the CEO to competently run a business.

sky9
17th Dec 2009, 08:06
If you have any assets of the company in your possession keep them as security against your outstanding salary.

habs_fan
17th Dec 2009, 08:25
Still waitting to be told i have no job

anyone know if there are any jobs going at edi?

Dodo56
17th Dec 2009, 08:27
Niceguy very much on the nail up there. Everyone thinks they can manage better than their managers, few actually make the grade, and those who do quickly realise it's not the cushy number the safety trained waiters think.

A fact of business that many would do well to remember:

Sales are vanity
Profit is sanity
Cash is realityAs unfortunate as it is that another airline has gone to the wall owing customers flights and employees and suppliers money, it doesn't surprise me. In today's economic climate there are fewer SLF around and those who are, are shopping for the lowest fares. "Just being there" is no longer a viable formula for running an airline and you need either a very strong brand image and strategic position (eg BA) or a low cost base to ride the storm (eg EZ). Either way cash remains king and anyone without deep pockets is likely to be in equal danger of following downhill during the hard times that are likely to continue in 2010. When an airline announces it is anticipating a big new injection of capital that says to me "we've run out of money and want to spend someone else's". This isn't the first time we've seen this, I'm surprised so many are surprised.

Good luck to all finding new employment, but I wouldn't count on getting more than a handful of change out of the airline.

spinnaker
17th Dec 2009, 08:29
matkat

Without KN, there would have not been an airline called flyglobespan. I know all about Cougar and the issues that surround that etc. But, imho KN is a far more astute businessman, although not necessarily a likeable person. (personally, I enjoyed my games of mental jujitsu with him). So, TD with no experience whatsoever in running an airline, decides he can do it alone.

habs_fan
17th Dec 2009, 08:41
Globespan grounded - but why?

Douglas Fraser (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/douglasfraser/douglas_fraser/) | 22:39 UK time, Wednesday, 16 December 2009

So what did for Scotland's biggest airline? A reckless build-up of debt? Its cost structure too high? Prices being driven down by competitors?
None of these. Yes, it had a rough ride a couple of years back, making a big loss because it had some of its routes wrong.
But it seems it did well to turn that position around, even if it left it with a bruised balance sheet.

Those looking at the business, who ought to know, say it was sound. Debt is under control. Its orders for two of Boeing's new Dreamliners were sensible expansion more than over-ambitious pipedream.
Instead, it was liquidity that did for Globespan - or to be precise, the cash that ought to flow from the company that carries out its credit card transactions with passengers.

This is a business that gets a lot of its payments up front, but these payments weren't making their way into the Globespan coffers. Quite a lot of that money seems to have been withheld by a company called E-Clear, which specialises in credit card transactions for the low cost airline business.

Bosses at Globespan have been in talks over recent weeks with Halcyon Investments, based in Jersey, as a potential investor to keep it going.
And there is at least one report suggesting Halcyon is very closely involved with E-Clear, and its chief executive Elias Elia. The transaction company hasn't returned calls about that this week.

The statements issued by Globespan's chief executive, Tom Dalrymple - carefully cleared with Halcyon and its lawyers - followed weekend reports of a deadline for a funding deal, and the possibility of collapse.
Mr Dalrymple said the funding package was intended to expand the company, when there wasn't much doubt that the only reason it needed an injection of capital was for survival.

The focus of attention now turns to tens of thousands who are out of pocket, with thousands of family Christmas and New Year plans wrecked, as well as holiday plans stretching into next year.
Attention also turns to those who withheld the payments Globespan seems to have been due.
Scotland's the worse off for the loss of a well-liked company.

wilyflier
17th Dec 2009, 09:05
Moderator,
Can the serial numbers, sequences, and time tags of these posts be sorted out by your IT gurus? Its a mess.
Then delete this post. Thanks

The Old Fat One
17th Dec 2009, 09:10
Nice Guy and Dodo 56

It is refreshing to see a couple of eloquent and realistic posts in amongst all the usual polarised opiniation that is so often the case hereabouts.

Your posts won't offer a crumb of comfort to the customers and staff who have been royally shafted by the nature of the Globespan liquidation, but maybe they could provide useful inputs to the mindset of the bunch over at BA who have yet to discover the consequences in the harsh world of commerce of what happens when demands of employees and the reality of the balance sheet head in opposite directions.

spinnaker
17th Dec 2009, 09:13
habs_fan

There is another now defunkt airline chasing E-Clear for about 13 million. It's usual for companies like E-Clear to with-hold a % of funds to cover refunds etc. The contract detail can, and often does get complex. However, if E-Clear is operating in accordance with its contract, then that will logically form part of the business and financial model the airline will work to. It is conceivable that the airline could go to a bank and raise cash based upon the E-Clear holding. It seems to me that the airline was trying to re-negotiate its contract. There are almost certainly regulations that must be complied with, and its possible that what the airline wanted was not possible.

Unless E-Clear is running into problems itself, (there would be other airlines screaming out) then I feel it is a smoke screen. The financial difficulties run deep and long.

globetrotter79
17th Dec 2009, 09:23
How many (remaining) airlines do E-Clear now provide service for?

Babylon
17th Dec 2009, 09:27
I was there from the start but left over a year ago , its really sad to see some great people losing there job specially this time of the year .It has to be said that we were from the start making good profit from year one but having seen the airline doing well mr TD start putting his nose in . The more he got involve the more the airline got in trouble . I have told him so in person at one of the pilot meeting with the management but he is just an arrogant man . the result is now he has taken his money out more then two years ago by structuring the airline ,I could see it coming but hoped it wont happen . any way it does not change the fact every one worked very hard to keep it going but it came to an end unfortunately .good luck to all the globe span employe ,It was pleasure to fly and work with you .

spinnaker
17th Dec 2009, 09:32
SASKATOON9999

Lots of reasons, spreading risk, managing cash flow, compliance with banking regulations.

Nearly every company that trades on the internet is using some form of clearing service.

Edit.

To explain what I mean, its worth having a look at e-clear web site. At least it gives a bit of an insight as to why these companies exist. All of the UK banks I have dealt with require the use of an approved company like eclear for credit/debit card payments on-line. Here is the link E-Clear (http://www.eclear.net)

parcelpuppy
17th Dec 2009, 09:39
Diabolous
My memory is not hazy at all. I still have the transcripts from the litigation, documentation from MP's and the addresses of the 258 creditors owed 40 million USD and all of us who were ex Cougar employees cheated by the people who went on to form Globespan.The £128,000 paid for the AOC by the new management was a steal.Those ex Cougar staff that went on to start off Flyglobespan were all part of the scam.Dont believe that TD and all of the other directors were not complicit.

Spicejetter
Last night I was so angry at the demise of Flyglobespan,the sense of deja vu
that will probably allow directors to walk away free whilst the ex employees and passengers suffer, I wrote my reply totally in capitals. Apparently the web site will format the words that way if you do not take the time to preview and check your post. No matter how ugly the printed word looks an intelligent person should be able to see through this and still understand the message.

Drink Up Thee Cider
17th Dec 2009, 09:43
And Flybe are offering a rescue fare over EXT or SOU:

Following today's collapse of Flyglobespan, Flybe has stepped in with a special one-off rescue fare to fly affected passengers home to Scotland.

For a one-off fare of £59.99 (€65.99) including all taxes and charges, Flybe will wherever possible make seats available on their scheduled services from Malaga, Alicante, Geneva and Chambery for Flyglobespan passengers who wish to return to Edinburgh and Glasgow via Southampton or Exeter.

Affected passengers should phone the Flybe Customer Call Centre (http://www.flybe.com/contact/default.htm#ccc) with their Flyglobespan booking reference. This offer will also be available via Flybe ticket desks at airports.

Passengers will also need to show proof that they hold Flyglobespan bookings when they check in with Flybe

TURIN
17th Dec 2009, 10:01
Real Slim Shady

While I admire your generosity and empathy, surely there are others just as badly affected by the GSM failure. I have several friends and ex colleagues in the Enginering Maintenance Control department for example. Surely they deserve support too.

By the way, I tried to send this as a PM to you but you have it disabled!:confused:

olster
17th Dec 2009, 10:02
niceguy you may have a point

atb

Cluster Bomb
17th Dec 2009, 10:14
Turin

You have a point. BCT, the company that employes the engineers for Globespan, are going to have to make their staff redundant as they only did GSM at Edi. TCR, the company that Alba leased the vehicles & equipment from, are going to feel it too.

G-AWZK
17th Dec 2009, 10:18
Have heard from "a source in The City" that Halcyon/E-Clear are currently trying to mount a "rescue bid". The deal may complete within hours. Apparently, there are regular flights to Paphos.

Sounds like rubbish to me....

boredcounter
17th Dec 2009, 10:19
Tough break and I do wish you all well and a speedy employ. Enough has been said about the time of year.............

It has been 5 years since I was last in this boat, but as it was a nice close knit 'family' airline that went bump on me overnight, I think I felt the same loss as you.

I am sorry if things have changed since 2004, but I hope it helps:

1/ PWC 'should' advise and help you claim all that is due from HMG, lost salary, proven per diems and expenses etc. Untaken holiday pay included. It is capped though if I remember correctly.

2/ Notice period, again, capped.

3/ Not sure if it is still valid, but we were then advised to seek an Industrial Tribunal for lack of consultation, which was awarded as a protected payment.
This was done en-mass via the internet, sorry I do not have the link.

When duo failed, the administrator also approved 'limited' and 'controlled' Company Credit Card payments to 'repatriate' staff to base.

None of this, alas, will help you today or next Monday, but at duo we certainly received one payment on the next payday, but we had also been payed salary to date.

Good luck and God speed to each of you finding new employment, there is a world out there, as bad as it seems now, today is a new start.

Bored

Gee08
17th Dec 2009, 10:20
tcr wont feel it big time they still rent alot of equipment to menzies up and down the country

matkat
17th Dec 2009, 10:29
Spinnaker do you know me? I was there from April 2007 to June 2008 I cannot think who you are but we have obviously met, without puting my name down When you came out of the lift on the first floor I sat in the L/H corner PM me if you are more comfortable, oh and I agree 100% about what you said about KN at the end he had had enough hence he walked away though TD would say otherwise.

Turin, if your friends were the very same that took the jobs of the people at Colinton in May/June 2008 they do not have any of my sympathy as they had none for the people they were ousting at that time slagging them of as incompetent and how they could do the job much better well it is obvious now that they could not and for CHu. well it could not have happened to a nicer guy, we warned you all at the time so now you really see what comes around goes around.
So for the Manchester Mafia thats TX and now FGS, maybe this time you should stick to the gardening leave.
I hope that all staff manage to get things sorted, the Mafia I could not care less in fact it could not have happened to a nicer bunch (Dave F AKA Irish Dave excepted)

Ellie Vator
17th Dec 2009, 10:41
Firstly, Niceguy I have to totally endorse your statement. Sadly there are too many employees in this business that do think it it simply a game and one big nightstop party. It is an incredibly tough business involving massess amounts of money. Management having to put in countless numbers of hours to keep things going, especially when your back is against the wall. No comfy hotels in far away places. Just hard hours in the office or late at night at home. - Thankless YES, and the moans and groans to go with it. I don't do it myself, but I appreciate those that do.

My sincere sympathy goes out to the crews that worked at Globespan. It is a sh*t time of year for this to happen, but any time is bad.
I know exactly what you are going through, as I experienced the same just over a year ago. It is devastating. I feel for the passengers both stranded and those who will not travel, as I indeed I felt for all of my airline's customers. However, at the end of the day, they have only lost a holiday / flight. They can go back to work and have a moan about the situation. For the Globespan staff, they have no job, there is no one to pick up the pieces, and if both you and your partner work for the SAME airline, problems are even more serious.
It takes time to get over it. I am still not over last years collapse, and totally hate where I am at present, but bills have to be paid.

What concerns me is that this is so bad for the airline industry. Of course we need to have profitable airlines, but this latest collapse only seems to strengthen the likes of the low cost carriers Easyjet and Ryanair. They are getting a strangle hold on the industry, which is not good for anyone - not even the passengers. Thomson are in a tight spot, with redundancies looming, which is scary.
Unfortunately the economic situation dictates that too many people will foregore any sense of dignity and travel on Ryanair and Easyjet, scrambling for an undesignated seat, and sit for hours like dummies in cabins with nothing to do, crammed full of luggage in overhead bins because they won't pay for hold luggage. It's their choice I know!
But until more people sit up and say I want to be treated like a civilised human being this will continue. It will add more and more power to the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet, and in turn they will turn their sights onto the likes of Jet 2, Thomson Airways etc.

I did not want this to turn into a rant about the two low cost airlines mentioned, but with the loss of Silverjet, Zoom, Futura, XL, Globespan this does not bode well for the airline industry. I sincerely hope that this is the last of the collapses.

I wish all of the Globespan staff well for the future. To wish you a Happy Christmas seems awfully sour, but I do hope each of you have success in finding new employment in this difficult time. There is a world out there, as bad as it seems now - Good Luck!

My very best wishes.

mr Q
17th Dec 2009, 10:43
.........Dalrymple becomes most enthused and animated when talking about his fleet. He shows me a series of models of the various Boeing aircraft that his airline flies, which are generally leased from International Lease Finance Corp (ILFC), GE Commercial Aviation Services (GECAS) and CIT Aerospace.

His eyes light up as he handles a model of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner - a sleek, super-efficient long-range aircraft made from the same composite material as the Stealth bomber. The aircraft will be capable of flying 9,700 miles at a stretch, meaning it could fly non-stop from Scottish airports to the east coast of Australia.

Dalrymple has leased two of these revolutionary new planes from ILFC for 2010 delivery. “Since we are a point-to-point airline, leasing these planes was a no-brainer for me.” It seems likely they will serve the Glasgow to Vancouver and Glasgow to Orlando routes
SUNDAY TIMES ...

Flightmech
17th Dec 2009, 10:47
I worked for KN in a previous engineering life. Good bloke to work for but wasn't afraid to hold back either. Wasn't aware he wasn't at GSM anymore. I still drive by his house everyday too. Good luck to all flight crew and ground crew affected.

munrobagger
17th Dec 2009, 11:06
I am just an ordinary passenger who has been critical of GSMs punctuality and scheduling in the past here but am genuinely 100% sorry to see it go - I only flew with them a few times from EDI to AGP and must say the service on board was as good as any airline I have flown with . I will never ever go Lyinair . A relative came back to Scotland with them recently as she could not get a GSM flight and says she was shocked at the cheap nasty interior and everyone being ripped off with baggage - and I mean everyone . FR are one airline I would like to see go bust .
I am disgusted at FRs patronising tone " you are an idiot for not flying with a viable airline " - well I think these words will come back to haunt them in a few years .

spinnaker
17th Dec 2009, 11:15
matkat

I'm certain we were probably not there at the same time. I left after about 18 months or maybe a year after the airline started up. I was in the office at stn when KN came bounding in announcing that we had an AOC. I was supposed to have been positioning the first -300 but found myself shoving pages into ops manuals instead (the aeroplane was broke). I hadn't flown a -300 for a couple of years and my line training started at 0900 and finished by tea time, including the line check itself. I hadn't enjoyed flying that much since year nineteen canteen. I had a pretty good time helping getting the show on the road, but it soon turns sour, which it did. I know what you mean about the feeling we have met though.

WidebodyWillie
17th Dec 2009, 11:21
:sad: Another sad day in aviation.

Best of luck to all of the staff at Globespan and I hope you all find employment elsewhere asap.

Maybe this will be a wake up call for Unite and BA cabin crew..

Check Mags On
17th Dec 2009, 11:29
boredcounter

Thank you, as I have just had to sign on for the first time in my life.
You help is appreciated, and speaking for myself, thank you to all those who have expressed concern.

My thoughts go out to all my colleagues stranded in some strange places.

CMO

Arkroyal
17th Dec 2009, 11:35
david.craigposted on page 1:Lets hope people are smart enough to check the usual fare first. It would certinally be my first instinct, I couldnt imagine paying 89 Euros with Ryanair. Not knocking them, I use them frequently, but never at that price!Therein lies the huge problem facing an industry that eats cash at an alarming rate, chasing the slimest of margins.

Until the travelling public cease thinking that it's reasonable to pay less to fly to Spain than the taxi fare to the aiport there'll be more GSMs

So sorry for the people affected, specially you Littleblue. Good luck

Hombre
17th Dec 2009, 11:55
My last single flight with GSM was around €46. The taxi from EDI to centre of town is around £18. This takes about 40 mins.

Here in Spain, if I took a taxi from AGP to my casa it would be another 40 mins journey but cost is set at €120 - go figure!

Once again, 'best of Scottish' to all the good people [formerly] at GSM.

Take care guys and gals. It was a blast flying with you...

luftschwein
17th Dec 2009, 11:57
Globetrotter79
I am pretty sure this is the last one for E-Clear. They really ought to be investigated to get to the bottom of what they do with the money.

5552N0426W
17th Dec 2009, 12:04
I feel so sorry for the staff who tried to do their best despite the "upper floor" rantings. It's particularly tough at this time of year as there are too few positions out there being chased after by too many good people.
Get to the jobcentre now and start the ball rolling. The odds are they will not find you a job but at least you may get some benefits to tide you over.

Best of luck to all.

BarbiesBoyfriend
17th Dec 2009, 12:09
A friend of mine assures me that FlyGlobespan are owed GBP 36.4m of credit card payments by E clear.

Can this be true? If so, it is a scandal.

david.craig
17th Dec 2009, 12:16
"Therein lies the huge problem facing an industry that eats cash at an alarming rate, chasing the slimest of margins.

Until the travelling public cease thinking that it's reasonable to pay less to fly to Spain than the taxi fare to the aiport there'll be more GSMs

So sorry for the people affected, specially you Littleblue. Good luck"

Its not that I expect the fare should be that low, quite the opposite. However for me when flying Ryanair it has been more of a 'why not' trip, prompted by the ridiculously low fare, a flight I would not have taken had it cost more. Having flew with them numerous occasions, all around the £10 mark, I'm reluctant to pay more with them. Why? Because the next day there could be a sale on offering the same seat at 1p.

It's not that I find a higher fare unreasonable, and when necessary will happily pay it on other airlines. Take Globespan for example, covering bucket and spade routes. Had the trip in question been a week long holiday, yes I would have paid far more than £89. But an overnight in Paris that is simply a cheap overnight - no.

I think Ryanair have set themselves up in a manner where customers will not accept high fares, as they've came to except such low fares. It's nothing to do with what's reasonable or acceptable, but simply buying when the price is right.

luftschwein
17th Dec 2009, 12:21
This number does not surprise me at all. What would surprise me is if E-Clear is really holding the funds in a designated account on behalf of Globespan as they should.

spinnaker
17th Dec 2009, 12:22
BarbiesBoyfriend

Absolutely possible. That is how clearing services work. You wont know if its a scandal unless the detail of the contract is known.

Goaround
17th Dec 2009, 12:45
As a former Pilot that was forced to leave in October I am sorry for all of you left.
Not the best of jobmarkets this time of the year, but hopefully next year it will turn around again.
And so sad the day after the Dreamliner made the first flight.

Good luck all ex GSM crews

Diabolus
17th Dec 2009, 12:54
Parcelpuppy wrote:
Diabolous
My memory is not hazy at all. I still have the transcripts from the litigation, documentation from MP's and the addresses of the 258 creditors owed 40 million USD and all of us who were ex Cougar employees cheated by the people who went on to form Globespan.The £128,000 paid for the AOC by the new management was a steal.Those ex Cougar staff that went on to start off Flyglobespan were all part of the scam.Dont believe that TD and all of the other directors were not complicit.

Perhaps then it is slightly skewed. You implied that Flyglobespan were started from the ashes of Cougar Leasing Ltd. This is not true GSM started operations in November 2002 when Cougar were still operating as a cargo airline (they ceased pax in oct 2002). Cougar (GCR) did not cease operations until summer 2003 and did not sell the AOC to Flyglobespan until early 2004. TD was also never a director at GCR and I believe that most of the old GCR directors had left GSM by the end of GSM possibly with the exception of one DH.

The demise of GSM may well have been on the cards for some time and there are many factors involved in the failure of any business.

apaddyinuk
17th Dec 2009, 13:29
To all the FGS crew and employees all the best, what a brutal time of year to receive such lousy news!

lastmanstanding
17th Dec 2009, 13:38
After a few years on a bi annual trip to the Falklands, GSM were clearly the best operator the MOD have chartered on this route.

Sorry to hear the news guys. Gutted for you at this time of year especially.:(

Little Blue
17th Dec 2009, 13:40
Onwards and upwards, eh??
We will all be ok. We are the same as all of the rest of the airline staff out there........AMAZING.
What doesn't kill us can only make us stronger. And respect to RG for standing up in front of us this morning to apologise...ok, only words, but we didn't see TD doing the same??

mimi94
17th Dec 2009, 13:55
As wife of one of the captains, i've travelled with GSM numerous times and have got to know many of the flight deck, cabin crew and engineers.

What sad news this is for such a fantastic bunch of people, and that's every one of you without exception! You guys have worked so hard to pull it all together in the recently uncertain environment, and I applaud you all.

Best of luck for the future to all the guys and girls on the front line, the spanners, the flight deck and not forgetting our two lovely lady pilots!

J and the Captain

Georgeablelovehowindia
17th Dec 2009, 14:18
"Glamour takes a nose-dive!" says the headline. Not in today's paper, but the dateline is November 9 1968, and there are the sad faces of the LHR check-in girls, sitting on the counter with BRITISH EAGLE emblazoned above them. "It nearly broke my heart," said 24-year old stewardess Miss Jackie Tingrell, as she sadly handed in her plum-coloured uniform.

History went on to repeat itself, time and again, of course: Court Line, Laker, Dan-Air, and Air Europe are the ones that immediately spring to mind, and now Globespan.

I note the snowploughs positioned behind the two parked 737s at Glasgow. Is that really necessary in this day and age?

I wish the staff all the very best in their search for new employment.

caulfield
17th Dec 2009, 15:05
To the employees I say best of luck.To the poison dwarf I say what goes around comes around.

EGPFGLA
17th Dec 2009, 15:05
They done that with zoom, it dose look awful

munrobagger
17th Dec 2009, 15:24
Which carrier is bringing folk back from Tenerife and Faro tonight ?

Rainboe
17th Dec 2009, 15:27
Easyjet and Ryanair- don't you watch the news?

Sympathies to all the staff affected. I know how upsetting and traumatic it must be, and what a rotten time for it to happen. Good luck to you all- I hope you can re-enter the profession soon. I hope 2010 brings the recovery that will see full employment again.

Evanelpus
17th Dec 2009, 15:30
Which carrier is bringing folk back from Tenerife and Faro tonight ?

Spotter alert! Check your teletext but my guess would be Globespan pax coming back on other carriers ie Easy, Ryanair etc. I didn't think there was a special airlift planned for stranded pax but things could have chnaged in the last few hours.

Euphoria
17th Dec 2009, 15:33
Sorry about the news, same "overnight" closure happend to the company i was working for a while back.

Thoughts go out to the staff and familys.

Loose rivets
17th Dec 2009, 15:42
Haven't had time to read right through, but as one who has spent time with his passengers bearing bad news about their tickets, this snippet from the Beeb stood out.

Administrators said they planned to investigate why a "significant" amount of cash from credit card bookings did not reach Flyglobespan.

I'd certainly make it my business to find out where the money was, and indeed, who owned the company that was holding it.

BBC News - Flyglobespan collapse strands thousands of passengers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/8417543.stm)

Flyingstig
17th Dec 2009, 15:54
let me add my best wishes to all at Globespan. Many of us have had it happen, and it is a dreadful experience!
However, we are a tenacious bunch in this profession, stay positive, look after your families, you will survive to fight another day!
Good Luck!

500 above
17th Dec 2009, 18:11
"A CYPRIOT controlled financial services firm is poised to bail out a Scottish budget airline and package holiday company in a deal that could in turn boost Cyprus’ ailing tourist industry.
Halcyon Investment Corporation, which is controlled by the Cypriot credit card procession firm E-Clear, is negotiating a deal with Scottish Airline Flyglobespan.com to generate both upfront and future investments.
Globespan has denied reports that it is on the brink of collapse. However some British media have speculated that without Halcyon’s investment, the holiday firm will go into administration.
The Independent on Sunday reports that one of the big-four accountancy firms is on standby and the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) is keeping a close eye on the progress of the deal.
The deal was due to be concluded on Tuesday, but was granted a 48-hour extension by the CAA to finalise the deal, with the outcome expected this afternoon.
The outcome could have real implications for Cypriot tourism. Crawford Blaikin, Spokesman for Globespan, said yesterday “At the moment, Globespan flies from Scotland to Paphos throughout the year. In winter two planes per week fly from Glasgow and Edinburgh and in summer another route operates from Aberdeen.”
“I can’t speculate on any possible extensions, however” he added.
The Boeing 757’s that make the trips carry up to 180 people, which means the collapse of Globespan could spell the loss of several thousand Scottish tourists to Cyprus next year.
Globespan chairman Tom Dalrymple said: “This (deal) is good news for the company, our customers and our staff” and that it could “expand its airline and associated products and services”
Flyglobespan is a subsidiary of Globespan Group was founded in 1970, has 900 staff and operates a fleet of more than 10 aircraft
The company is not alone in facing speculation over its financial status. E-clear is currently six weeks late in filing its accounts at Companies House and they were hit hard by the collapse of other airlines such as XL and Zoom Airlines.
E-Clear’s marketing and communications director, Constantine Seraphim said last week
“We went through this last year and we’ve cleared the situation. We are in a strong position ... Airlines have gone down but our position is really not weakened. We are just assessing our risk like any other bank or financial institution is. We are assessing the risk and we move on.”

Slow connection downroute, sorry if this has already been mentioned. Looks like E-Clear may have some explaining to do...

Anyhows, good luck in the jobhunting to all GSM crew - amongst the others...

Abusing_the_sky
17th Dec 2009, 19:03
TRSS has been banned but asked me to post this.

He has been in touch with the Head of Recruitment at Ryanair and applications from GSM Captains are very welcome.

The full details of the experience requirements are on the website.

At the moment no applications are being processed for SFOs or FOs, but, the word from the horse's mouth is keep checking the website as things change day to day.

He wishes you all the best in your search for another job.

bealine
17th Dec 2009, 21:09
The sad news of Globespan's demise puts our own disputes with management in the shade! I would rather have crappy conditions and still have a job. I think many of my crew colleagues don't feel this way because they have never experienced what being out of work is like - I lost my job three times when the "Iron Battleaxe" was Prime Minister and I would never wish that on anyone.

Good Luck to you all at Globspan - I'm just so sorry BA has a recruitment freeze and the aviation industry is in such a mess.

Is there a fund being set up to help wish our Globespan friends a bit of Christmas cheer and help cushion the blow for our " colleagues in airmanship"? Mrs Bealine and I can't afford much, but we would certainly put a few quid into a PayPal account if someone would get one going!

Come on Ppruners - Let's Get Something Going!

niceguy
17th Dec 2009, 21:45
The simple truth in this game is that airlines spend the money they take today (for next years travel) on paying this weeks bills. Always has been so and ever will be.

Loss making airlines stay in business simply because they still have cash to pay people. They are not broke today, only in the future, if they cant carry people then who paid today, if you follow me....

They will of course because then they will use someone elses advance cash to pay for those bills...

The crisis comes when the cash stops flowing from the card people and suddenly there is no advance money to meet current debts.

Curiously, the US charter scene operates in much the same way this credit card company has operated and companies are denied access to cash until the pax have returned. They have got used to the scheme and work with that expectation in mind but when it is suddenly imposed on a business that was not expecting it, there is no way out.

As with everything else in this life recently it's the bankers and the money men who have shagged the rest of us and they didnt even stop to kiss us in the process!

172driver
17th Dec 2009, 22:03
Hmmmmmm..... putting this:

Halcyon Investment Corporation, which is controlled by the Cypriot credit card procession firm E-Clear, is negotiating a deal with Scottish Airline Flyglobespan.com to generate both upfront and future investments.

together with this (from the Guardian online):

As attention shifted to the cause of Globespan's collapse, the administrator, PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), confirmed it was also investigating why a "significant" amount of money from credit card bookings, thought to be between £30m and £35m, had not been paid to Globespan. The sum held back by payment processing firm E-Clear is thought to be about double that needed to cover sums which must now be paid out to credit card customers whose flights never took off.

does make one wonder......

VIKING9
17th Dec 2009, 22:35
Hoping to not break the rules of PPRuNe Towers, but in these times of sadness and depression, and jobless individuals, I may be able to help.

Ops Controller vacancy, non airline, mostly GA, Essex based.

PM me for info.

:ok:

go around flaps15
17th Dec 2009, 22:48
What was Slim banned for? Or are you allowed to divulge?

Itsasmallworld
17th Dec 2009, 22:49
Like a few other of the users on here I too was in at the start working closely with all the directors even handling the first few cabin crew job applications and dotting the i's of the first finance lease. I don't see any point in hiding that I was in charge of the airlines finances from inception to launch and for a few months after launch and worked closely with all departments - there weren't many employees at the time so I can guess who a few people on the forum are. Hello I hope you are all well.

TD is a passionate person who I admired for his drive and ambition however his stubborn refusal to listen to anyone during this period resulted in a number of decisions which were ridiculous. I left as he was impossible to work for which was a shame as the people there were great.

He seemed to find it difficult to take any advice and let's not even mention his sidekick during this period who was a waste of space. If he had a better sounding board the Flyglobespan may still be here today.

I'm not going to get dragged into the legalities surrounding cgr and the AOC - which flyglobespan had to reactivate - I know the full details of what happened as I was in several of the key meetings with the CAA but some people need to move on. I'm not saying what happened was right or wrong just that it is in the past and I suppose what has happened may give you closure.

JF, KN and DH were old school but they were all fully dedicated to Flyglobespan. They were also good to work with and were certainly not shy of work.

My overall feelings tonight are sadness for the airline and its excellent staff and confusion as to how this could happen. Unfortunately this is TD's second airline that has collapsed and I think his goose is now cooked. I'm assuming the banks simply said no more.

RED WINGS
18th Dec 2009, 01:29
G/A F15

He gets band from every thread at some point!

RoyHudd
18th Dec 2009, 05:27
Has the Hajj 767 returned?

maxcruz
18th Dec 2009, 07:15
It is sad that small enjoyable airlines like FGS have to go in this way. I worked for them for a while as a contractor and was let go with the rest of us at the end of October.
I was very happy there and sad to leave. Made some friends and all the staff were very good to me.
So farewell guys and girls and good luck to you all:ok:

noflare
18th Dec 2009, 07:19
Very sorry to here of Globespans demise, I have some good mates there and I wish you all the very best of luck :ok:

Conc
18th Dec 2009, 07:38
Sorry to hear the news for all those who have lost out. Wishing all of you best wishes and hoping 2010 is a better year for all of you.

Mr Flaps
18th Dec 2009, 08:24
GSM crews are still returning to the UK.
4 flew back to EDI on bmi last night.
I would never wish that on anyone. They where in uniform still. Not sure what they had brought into LHR or had paxed in.
Good luck to all at GSM.

I hope Unite well get it into their heads that airlines are not cash cows and dont have bottemless bank accouts cos we dont. Every UK could go bust if it runs into trouble and GSM is the lastest sad loss.
There is no Chapter 11 here!

Four Holer Roller
18th Dec 2009, 08:51
Could someone with contact details for Globespan Flight Ops Management please PM me?

spinnaker
18th Dec 2009, 09:31
Two threads going, so I'll post a link to my other post about e-clear. (http://www.pprune.org/showthread.php?p=5388109&posted=1#post5388109)

skyeuropecapt
18th Dec 2009, 10:36
My sympathy for all of you at Globespan.
When Skyeurope started to have problems last September(15 months ago),the crews did all their best to help out the airline,most gave up to a month salary concession while Eclear was holding back our money....
I decide to stay till the end just because the company gave me my first job in Europe and I just loved that airline and all its employees..
Eclear didnt send the money on time and only a portion of it(20 000EUR) they agreed to send on the day... Vienna airport deadline passed and the airport management stopped our operation which lead to our newly found investors apparently to back off and all to lose their jobs..

Fortunately,I secured a job 3 weeks later, however my total salary backlog over those 15 months amounted to 45 000 EUR without having added perdiems/expense claims...
So then i wished Mr SLIM ryan air offered me 100sterling..NOT! ryan feminine staff (you may know who im refering to)came TO OUR OFFICES(ground floor of our building)to tell us about ryan air.It still makes me sick.
Anyways...if you are a CAPTAIN and have 500 hours + on NG send me a pm and ill get you an interview in SE Asia for a great package.
Other airlines are hiring such as PEGASUS,JET AIRWAYS,JADE CARGO(second captain)....

Good luck to all of you...time to go where the sun shines:ok:

dontdoit
18th Dec 2009, 11:15
Itsasmallworld - when you say "Unfortunately this is TD's second airline that has collapsed"....which was the first? He's kept that one verrrrrrrry quiet.

spinnaker
18th Dec 2009, 12:09
dontdoit

I believe it was Excalibur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur_Airways)

JB007
18th Dec 2009, 12:15
I can confirm it was EXC! TD closed us down a day before pay day!

Best wishes to all at GSM, but this industry is one step nearer to a 'nicer' place without businessmen like Dalrymple! Good riddence!

Beavis and Butthead
18th Dec 2009, 12:20
but this industry is one step nearer to a 'nicer' place without businessmen like Dalrymple! Good riddence!

Agreed. As one that TD left high and dry back then (and he was also long gone with his fortune instead of facing his staff) I feel for all the people that he's left decimated at Globespan. Best of luck to you all, you deserve better.

Boethius
18th Dec 2009, 12:31
Sorry to hear you got caught up in this one Little Blue.
Wish you good luck and all the best for the future.

valentin2000
18th Dec 2009, 12:39
Hope to help in these down times. But Smartlynx airline will need 3 B767 Line trainers soon.

Contact [email protected]

Good luck guys

dontdoit
18th Dec 2009, 12:48
It's all coming back to me now, I'd forgotten about the Excalibur thing and the business with the DC10 and all that, thanks for the reminder !

shaun ryder
18th Dec 2009, 15:01
Best of luck guys in 2010. I know a couple of good faces from the company who are now out of work. A real tough one and a kick in the nuts just before xmas.

18th Dec 2009, 15:09
Do we know where the :mad: TD has went to then????

Its not entirely his fault but there are some shocking ways he treated his staff blaming them for many faults but theres nobody to blame this time.
I would have had alot more respect for the man if he had the balls to turn up yesterday and face his staff and the demise of his company and to have spoke to them personally, Rick Green on the other hand was all appologies and seemed pretty upset by what had happened which he gains small respect for.

G-CPTN
18th Dec 2009, 17:49
More at:- BBC News - Failed airline 'badly let down' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8420069.stm)

5552N0426W
18th Dec 2009, 19:26
I sincerely hope that TD + twisted sister are prevented by the "men from the ministry" of continuing or starting up any other travel business or airline.

It's shameful how the upper floors didn't listen to poeple who had years of experience and knowledge but were not allowed to have their opinions considered.

Best of luck to all of the flying and operational staff.

Keep the faith

non iron
18th Dec 2009, 19:42
As in what a seething ball of rats will do next ?

He didn`t do it on his own sunbeam.

100above
18th Dec 2009, 19:51
Sorry, I just dont get this whole E-Clear thing and the withheld £34m the BBC are reporting. I can sort of understand how the £14m of payments for future travel hadnt yet reached Globespans accounts, but I can see no justification for E-Clear holding on to £20m of fares for flights that had already taken place. How can any airline continue day to day operations when your credit card clearer holds on to your revenue. I dont doubt that the company overstretched itself in recent years and I cant help thinking if they had stuck to flying full 737s each day from GLA/EDI/ABZ to the sun in conjuction with their well established travel brand, they might still be around. But how can any operator keep paying their bills if the cash for operated flights isnt forthcoming. :confused:

non iron
18th Dec 2009, 19:58
Debonair would seem the model. After 2 years of feasting by the financial vultures there was still a few bob left.

GLAbum
18th Dec 2009, 20:17
got the mortgage and car loan on holiday for a month, if i'm still up the creek next month, any chance of putting me the wife and kids up for a few nights, it would be much appreciated mr D.
yours sincerely

v6g
18th Dec 2009, 20:38
Who would have thought you could lose money by flying scots to sunny destinations.

non iron
18th Dec 2009, 20:45
You are a very naughty man/miss/mrs/ms.

You can`t be too careful.

KHPO
18th Dec 2009, 21:59
This e-mail was sent to all a year ago before MoD ACMI started.No Comment.Where is the money and the properties Mr Chairman?A new boat for a great Barbados retirement? :D

29th September 2008
Dear all
Below is a a copy of a letter which Tom sent to editors of the leading daily newspapers and also key multiple travel agent account holders on the 29th September. Please read the letter, it sends a very strong message to both the press and travel agents and assists us, the workforce to remain strong in this rumour ridden climate. regards
Karan

K. B.
Deputy Managing Director

Dear XXXXXXX

Having spoken with you in the past on airline matters, I feel it is only appropriate that I write this letter to you to explain the Globespan Group`s current position and outlook in what is a difficult time for the airline sector.

I am delighted to say that, despite some negative comments and innuendo in a weekend media story, the company and the airline are extremely well positioned to see through the well documented problems facing the industry at present.

Without delving into the specific reasons why there have been so many high-profile airline casualties of late, the common denominator seems to be one of debt and the manner in which that was dealt with – a problem further exacerbated in XL’s case as they had a huge MBO loan to service.

Flyglobespan has no such problems. We have no debt and in addition have substantial cash assets, built up over 30 years over successful trading as the Globespan Group.

We have significant property assets in the UK, France and Spain – and, most importantly, have a strong and powerful business model.

We have just enjoyed our best-ever summer with record load factors in the budget airline sector and a considerable increase in yield from last year.

As we enter the traditionally more difficult winter months for the travel industry, we have leased a number of our planes to other carriers in a multi-million pound exercise that will maximise our assets over the coming months.

This week another of our aircraft starts a leasing agreement with the Ministry of Defence flying regularly from Brize Norton to the Falklands.

These various leases add-up to multi-million revenue earners for the airline at a time when the industry generally incurs loses

As we look ahead to next year, our advanced sales are ahead of plan and we have already announced an expansion to our Aberdeen services as well as new routes from both Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I am not denying it has been a difficult time for the airline industry. The soaring price of airline fuel has led to some rapid re-evaluation of business plans but, despite these difficulties and a general economic slowdown, we have performed well and put last year’s problems firmly behind us.
But as we look to build on our summer successes, it would be wrong to ignore the public’s unease over the airline industry. That has been heightened by the negative rumours involving not just this airline but others.
I don`t know who is trying to de-stabilise us by putting out these rumours - but they are wasting their time. Our customers, thankfully, are ignoring them as our planes are full and our advance bookings are very healthy. After last year`s difficulties we will be back in profit this year - and very well positioned for the future.

I feel it is time to put a stop to this whispering campaign of negativity. Hence this personal letter to you which, I hope explains flyglobespan’s current position.

I hope too, that it reassures you that the airline about which you have written so positively in the past will continue to champion the cause of Scotland’s holidaymakers for many years to come.

Kind Regards

Tom Dalrymple
Chairman
Globespan Group Ltd

non iron
18th Dec 2009, 23:06
Did it work ?

top jock
19th Dec 2009, 07:35
They have left their crew's far away to make their own way home. What a nasty company they were. My best to all and i hope you make it home for the holidays.

greatoaks
19th Dec 2009, 07:45
......and now the plot thickens.

looks like being involved with E-clear is risky or is that just the nature of the current business models?

IB4138
19th Dec 2009, 08:18
The FSA, as a matter of urgency, should get into E clear and start investigating their trading practices and compliance with regulations, then take appropriate action if it is found necessary.

E clear, if they have nothing to hide, should welcome such an investigation from their regulatory body.

RHINO
19th Dec 2009, 08:39
I wish them luck....they maybe based in the UK however ownership may well be outside of UK duristiction.

Little Blue
19th Dec 2009, 08:52
I think we can all see that e-clear have blood on their hands.
How many more companies/lives ruined do we have to see as a result of their 'practices'?
Company law/criminal law..whatever it is that needs to be done, they need to be stopped and made to pay.
:mad::mad:

brakedwell
19th Dec 2009, 09:11
I wish them luck....they maybe based in the UK however ownership may well be outside of UK duristiction.

Looks like they may not be fireproof.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/Screenshot2009-12-19at100657.png

compton3bravo
19th Dec 2009, 09:23
They may have a London office but I gather the company is fronted by two Greek Cypriots with their HQ in Cyprus. I know the administrators of Sky Europe are chasing over 14 million Euros reportedly held by E-Clear which was one of the problems of Sky Europe being unable to continue operating because they could not get hold of any ready cash.

El Grifo
19th Dec 2009, 09:35
A bit more on E Clear

FlyGlobespan - EClear breaks silence, meeting with administrators | Tnooz (http://www.tnooz.com/2009/12/19/news/flyglobespan-eclear-breaks-silence-meeting-with-administrators/)

Facelookbovvered
19th Dec 2009, 09:49
I have no idea what part E-Clear played in the downfall of Globespan, if any? no doubt some will blame Paddy power or the Icelandic wet lease, sadly it is a national trait north of the border to look elsewhere when it comes to the blame game

Globespan was badly run and had a flawed business model, it failed to address the volumes of complaints that resulted in some of the worst ever postings on Airline quality ratings, to be fair most of these effected the longhaul market.

There are also the reports from crews who were forced to try and evade US work permits by traveling as pax then re checking in as pax and changing on board and many other iffy dodges and of course non compliances with AOC requirement resulting in loss of ETOP's, FD flying out then sitting in the cabin on the way back doing 17+ hour days before a couple of hours drive home in some cases

I am not sure if TD was swept up by the SNP "tiger economy bollocks" that we all know to be just that.

Will it be missed, well yes by the people who depended on it for their income, will it stop people in Scotland having holidays, er no.

One area that does need addressing for the industry as a whole is the repatriation of crews stranded abroad, many cabin crew (BA aside!!) earn a pitance and live almost hand to mouth just to pay their mobile phone bill.

It should be required in law that all UK employed crew should be brought back home and any hotel costs & travel costs paid from ATOL funds, this should only apply to UK reg airlines of course, ATOL should have first call on any funds remaining after wages and before banks:sad:

Hombre
19th Dec 2009, 11:46
A well written post, sir, apart from the complete tosh of your opening paragraph.

As someone said to me yesterday, if GSM had been a bank they would still be flying!

On another banking note, I am sure Fred Goodwin is relieved that he is no longer Scotland's No1 Most Wanted. No doubt he will be sending a christmas present to TD, by way of thanks.:E

Cluster Bomb
19th Dec 2009, 14:10
If the same thing happened to BA, I'm sure the Government would have no hesitation in pumping money in to help. After all BA are a British institution.
E-Clear seem to have been partly responsible for the ruin of SkyEurope, XL, Zoom & now Flyglobespan (allegedly) Coincidence or conspiracy?:ouch:

FlyingOfficerKite
19th Dec 2009, 14:28
This from news.scotsman.com:

Flyglobespan could have been saved, says Swinney - Scotsman.com News (http://news.scotsman.com/politics/Flyglobespan-could-have-been-saved.5925307.jp)

If e-clear proves to be the culprit, then it is a scandal irrespective of any issues regarding FlyGlobeSpan themselves.

KR

FOK

Wayitup
19th Dec 2009, 15:24
'Owed £34 million'.....'company goes bust'.......

It begs the question of Globespan management/accountants......why didn't they see this coming?? and if they did why were/are employees treated so shamefully?? Either way I can't see Globespan management coming out of this smelling of roses.

BALLSOUT
19th Dec 2009, 15:32
If E Clear is sitting on any of Globespans passenger payments, the money should now be refunded. If people have paid for a service and the money has not reached the service provider, surely they must now get it back!

FlyingOfficerKite
19th Dec 2009, 15:55
From the e-Clear UK PLC website:

About E-Clear (UK) PLC

E-Clear (UK) PLC is a leading provider of payment acquiring and processing services for large blue-chip companies worldwide. Founded in 2002, E-Clear's Head Office is located in Mayfair, London. The company handles the capture, authorisation and settlement of all major international credit and debit card payments on the Internet, by Telephone, Facsimile, E-mail, and at the Point-of-Sale, helping high-transaction volume merchants improve their turnover by reducing their risk and payment costs. (my emphasis)

They failed miserably in the case of FlyGlobeSpan it seems?!

also from the Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission:

ANNOUNCEMENT

Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (the ‘Commission’) announces that on the Commission’s Board meeting on January 17 2005, has been decided, among other issues, to impose the following fines to the Members of the Board of Directors of the public company Golden Sun Leisure (CY) Ltd (the ‘company’), Mr. Lefteris Solomou, Iason Yiasoumi, Antonis Apostolou and Digenis Solomou:
1. Mr. Lefteris Solomou, administrative fine C£25.000,
2. Mr. Iason Yiasoumi, administrative fine C£25.000,
3. Mr. Antonis Apostolou, administrative fine C£25.000,
4. Mr. Digenis Solomou, administrative fine C£25.000,

after it has come to the attention of the Commission that the company has not disclosed its financial difficulties and liquidation problems which its group of companies was facing lately.

The Commission imposed the above administrative fines to the Members of the Board of Directors of Golden Sun Leisure (CY) Ltd because they failed to take the necessary steps to inform the shareholders and/or the investors, in general, for the above mentioned problems.

To impose the fines, the Commission has taken into consideration the seriousness of the violation since the accurate information of the investors is of primary importance for the orderly functioning of the stock market.

Wednesday 2 February 2005

It may be that the same Mr Antonis Apostolou is now a Director of e-Clear UK PLC? (his name appears on LinkedIn as a director of e-clear, but no history on this site of any past links with Golden Sun Leisure).

According to the Companies House website e-clear UK Plc accounts are indeed overdue (due 28.09.09).

PriceWaterhouseCooper have links with e-clear and Golden Sun Leisure (as was).

and finally a quote from e-Clear:

“It goes without saying that our whole business is dependent on ensuring we provide a service that is totally reliable and responsive to customer demands. Any difficulty or delay in processing a customer payment would reflect very badly on our Clients, as well as E-Clear, and could be very damaging to their business, potentially resulting in significant financial losses.” (my emphasis)

You said it.

KR

FOK

Comp Charlie
19th Dec 2009, 16:01
Flew on the MOD Asi-Mpa airbridge recently. The 'service' from the cabin crew was the absolute worst I have experienced in 20 years. Everything was too much trouble and the attitude from those in my area of the aircraft truly stank. Perhaps they had wind of this happening which goes someway towards explaining their actions, if not excusing it.

Sad state of affairs, especially so close to xmas. Wonder if those BA employees about to strike are getting jittery, although most BA crew in my personal experience have skin thicker than rhino hide so probably not!

I am not anti-cabin crew by the way, maybe it was just an off day (both North and South) on Globespan's part...

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
19th Dec 2009, 17:19
Don't worry my friend. Soon Astraeus will take over this route using their new 767.

Scott Diamond
19th Dec 2009, 17:29
:confused::confused::confused: at the above

AircraftOperations
19th Dec 2009, 18:51
Who is operating any MOD flights in the meantime, in place of GSM?

habs_fan
19th Dec 2009, 18:53
Air Italy i think are doing the flights

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
19th Dec 2009, 18:57
These flights are carried out by airlines other than Globespan, namely Air Italy as mentioned above and i believe Air Slovakia.

Great isn't it. Maybe The MOD should have given more work to 'their own' and who knows what might have been.

Scott Diamond
19th Dec 2009, 19:19
Why on earth would someone sign up on here pretending to be Mahmoud Ahmadinejad?:\ (yes I did copy & paste your username as I cannot spell it off-by-heart :})

Capetonian
19th Dec 2009, 19:28
Holidays cancelled as travel firm Allbury collapses

Allbury's collapse follows the demise of the Globespan airline

Thousands of overseas holidays have been cancelled after the collapse of a UK travel firm.

Allbury Travel Group, based in Hertfordshire - operating under the brands Libra Holidays, Argo Holidays and JetLife - has ceased trading.

Globespan link

The CAA is making arrangements to ensure customers on Allbury Travel Group holidays remain in their holiday accommodation and fly home as planned.

On Wednesday another travel company and airline, Globespan and its flyGlobespan subsidiary, went into administration with 4,500 people stranded overseas and 550 workers made redundant so far.

The administrator of that Edinburgh-based company is querying why around £30m was held back from Globespan by E-Clear, the company that handles its credit card transactions.

E-Clear also handled credit card transactions for the Allbury Travel Group.

Ballymoss
19th Dec 2009, 20:00
E-Clear also handled credit card transactions for the Allbury Travel Group

From El Grifos earlier link:

Tour operator Allbury Travel Group went into administration yesterday. Allbury just happens to be owned by British Virgin Islands-based Allbury Ltd, controlled by one Elias Elia.

Interesting.......

Rgds
The Moss:ok:

Bruce Wayne
19th Dec 2009, 21:23
Tour operator Allbury Travel Group went into administration yesterday. Allbury just happens to be owned by British Virgin Islands-based Allbury Ltd, controlled by one Elias Elia.

Forced or Voluntary ?

From companies house as of post time and date:

Name & Registered Office:

ALLBURY TRAVEL GROUP LIMITED
CASTLE HOUSE
21 STATION ROAD
NEW BARNET
HERTFORDSHIRE
EN5 1PA
Company No. 01073441

Date of Incorporation: 25/09/1972

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
Company Type: Private Limited Company
Nature of Business (SIC(03)):
6330 - Travel agencies etc; tourist
Accounting Reference Date: 31/10
Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/10/2008 (GROUP)
Next Accounts Due: 31/07/2010
Last Return Made Up To: 14/05/2009
Next Return Due: 11/06/2010
Last Members List: 14/05/2009
Previous Names: Date of change Previous Name 26/02/1986 LIBRA TRAVEL HOLDINGS LIMITED 14/04/2008 LIBRA HOLIDAYS LIMITED

flybar
19th Dec 2009, 21:30
Elias Elia would appear to be the owner of E-Clear!!
The plot thickens!!
Which firm will he sink next!!

Chidken Sangwich
20th Dec 2009, 08:38
So it is claimed...

Zoom - £10m
XL - £20m
Sky Europe - €13.4m
Globespan - £34m

and I know of one other who is still trading (and is very unlikey to be affected if it is not received) who is owed £10m.

Something smells...

Check Mags On
20th Dec 2009, 09:46
Smells even fishier (http://www.heraldscotland.com:80/news/home-news/salmond-calls-for-uk-government-probe-into-collapse-of-globespan-1.993377)

Now I'm not saying that the collapse of my previous employer is solely down to e-clear, but there is something not right and I think an investigation is warranted.

The list of failures connected to e-clear is getting longer. Could be the nature of the industry we work in and the small margins.
But the employees of GSM and other companies deserve to know the truth.

The more I read the worse it smells (http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2009/12/20/32645/flyglobespan-issues-winding-up-order-against-e-clear.html)

mary_hinge
20th Dec 2009, 10:55
Another travel firm goes bust - Times Online (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/leisure/article6962970.ece)

A public relations company recruited by E-Clear on Friday afternoon to help with media inquiries resigned yesterday morning.

Aviation industry sources said yesterday that Viking Airlines, a Swedish carrier, could emerge as a bidder for Flyglobespan’s assets. Viking is said to be interested in acquiring a UK airline operating licence.

Safety Concerns
20th Dec 2009, 12:24
Sorry for those who may have lost their jobs but the company itself from personal experience...good riddance.

Its no good looking at e clear for an excuse even if they are behaving strangely. The CAA just as in the case of Emerald should have "regulated" to a better standard much earlier.

Many problems would have been solved earlier and hidden costs reduced significantly.

Shame the professionals they eventually put in place just run out of time.

Check Mags On
20th Dec 2009, 12:42
Safety concerns, nobody is looking for an "excuse".

It is simple cold economics, if they do have some of Gsm's money.
The more likely I am to get some money out of the remnants of the company.

I disagree with you on the regulatory point, as the CAA had a very close eye on GSM, but that is a pointless argument since the company is gone now.

Safety Concerns
20th Dec 2009, 12:49
The CAA as is becoming the norm had a very close eye on once it was too late. My points do not relate to today but yesterday.

As I said, shame the professionals now in place didn't get enough time. The real damage was done before the CAA woke up and behaved like a regulator.

Check Mags On
20th Dec 2009, 12:54
I can agree with you on that.

Cluster Bomb
20th Dec 2009, 13:10
Aviation industry sources said yesterday that Viking Airlines, a Swedish carrier, could emerge as a bidder for Flyglobespan’s assets. Viking is said to be interested in acquiring a UK airline operating licence.

I hope assets includes the staff, because most of us were. :(

20th Dec 2009, 13:38
I doubt viking would actually want much of the entire Globespan group which funnily enough seems to be what has drained the groups money more than the airline, i think the loss of 007 wwas just to large to redeem but TD should have bloody realised then i need to get fresh capital right now and dont be so bloody selfish because i want to be the sole owner, Viking would probably take the license and run tbh :sad:
Even if they did aquire parts of the group i doubt theyd want to be based in Scotland.

Im not too sure on Airline administration but using the recent example Flyglobespan goes bust do the a/c automaticly revert back to the owner the lease company and should the Globespan Group be bought the leases for all aircraft have to be resigned with no guarantee of getting the a/c??? Can anyone clear that up?

Anything on Alba?? Surely theres someone who would take them on.