PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Theory Courses USA

CockpitJunkie
16th Dec 2009, 10:38
Does anyone know, or can recommend, any ATPL Theory Courses in USA (Anaheim LA, San Diego, possibly San Francisco).

Have heard of some places that will give a 1 day course to get you through the exam. Do they still exist?

Has anyone tried using some of the CDs/DVD courses that are available online?

Are there any special requirements or limitations on sitting the written exam?

Looking at going over to USA in late Jan 10 and would like to complete and do exam while there.

I have Aussie and USA Commercial Licences.

Thanks and safe flying.
CJ

lpokijuhyt
16th Dec 2009, 10:59
What the heck are you talking about? ATP (FAA term) or ATPL (rest of the world term) course? There is a huge difference. Personally, I would love to speak with the organization that offers a 1 day ATPL theory course..lol. You have to understand that the FAA world has no clue how the JAA world works and the JAA world has no idea how the FAA world works. You need to fully understand the procedures before jumping in the water.

Whirlygig
16th Dec 2009, 11:04
...and so do you lpokijuhyt before you start having a pop at someone asking a perfectly reasonable question.

What did Mad Jock say about "Cocky wee ****es"? :} :p

Cheers

Whirls

lpokijuhyt
16th Dec 2009, 11:17
WTF!? How was I popping off and am a wee ****e?

Anyhow...back to your question. I am assuming you are talking about doing the FAA ATP exam. With that said, you can do all the review in 2 days and take the test on the third day. Basically you just review the database of questions on a saturday and sunday and take the exam on monday. Some people review the questions and take the exam in one day. Whatever you want. I did it years ago at a place called all atps or something like that. They have offices all around the country. Then you can do the checkride in any ME aircraft, i.e. Seneca, Baron, 727, A320..whatever. 3 days and its done, start to finish. Cost including rental should be well under 600 dollars.

On the other hand, if you want to do the JAA ATPL, you need to take many months of required ground school before taking the exams (exceptions are given for experienced pilots...contact your local CAA for exciting details). Then you can go take 14 exams...yadda, yadda...(I'm sure you know this already and are more concerned about the FAA ATP).

I've done both FAA and JAA, like many others in Europe.

ab33t
16th Dec 2009, 12:14
Cheaper option is to do the FAA ATP theory exam on your own and then do the check ride.

lpokijuhyt
16th Dec 2009, 15:22
Do it on your own....what do you mean, go out to the forest and collect some bark to make some rudimentary type of paper and then find a lump of coal to use as chalk to write down your own questions and answers?

Dude, what I just described in my last post....is doing it on your own.....the only way to do the ATP written is on your own. There is no such thing as going to MANDATORY ATP written classes before taking the test. The places in the US don't do the package deal thing. If you just want to take the written test...super...if they happen to have a Seneca or something cheap and you want to take the check-ride...great. Honestly, your exam will take about 3o to 45 minutes and you will probably get higher than 90 percent.

I guess if you want to save money, don't even take the test.