PDA

View Full Version : Fly Abu Dhabi to LA in 2 hours - Aabar

Fox3snapshot
15th Dec 2009, 07:24
Aabar Investments boss Khadem Abdullah Al Qusaibi has unveiled plans to fly from Abu Dhabi to LA in two hours, as part of a venture with Virgin Galactic.

Earlier this year, Aabar – which is controlled by the Abu Dhabi government – announced it would take a 32 percent stake in Sir Richard Branson’s commercial space project for $280m.

Speaking to Arabian Business, Aabar chairman Al Qusaibi said: “The point here is to use Abu Dhabi and LA as a hub, or somewhere in the US, and to fly from Abu Dhabi and land in the other place in two or three hours.”

Virgin Galactic is set to launch commercial flights into space in 2011, charging each passenger $200,000.

Speaking about reports that the Committee on Foreign Investments in the United States (CFIUS) had launched a national security investigation into the deal between Aabar and Virgin Galactic which could eventually block it, Al Qusaibi said he was unconcerned.

“I think everything is smooth and there is no problem at all… what happened is a starightforward issue, I think. They (the US government) need to make sure the country which will be a hub for this kind of service will follow the rules and laws that apply. What I mean by this is they will not use this for some terrorist attacks,” he said.

He added that Abu Dhabi’s relationship with the United States was “very good,” and that he did not expect the approval process to take longer than a “few weeks".

Aabar Investments is 71 percent owned by Abu Dhabi's International Petroleum Investment Company.

woodja51
15th Dec 2009, 07:36
Smurf... well if it is better than the 16 hours it just took us to get here .. great... but then tell me.... why does any one want to come to LAX... or ABU for that matter???

Our total time from wakeup DXB to getting to hotel here in Torrence LA....
23 hours!!! yes got some minor kip in bunk but getting too old for this sh$%

The girls were almost in tears after waiting over an hour in the immigration que...but that didnt stop them going straight to Needless Markup to shop when we got in... must be a girl thing...??? all we blokes wanted was a steak and a pint!! oh and a sleep...
!

That is the problem here ( well OZ too most days!).... you might get here in 2 flight hours but the trip to ABU Air- ( sorry ... space-..) port and then the process to enter the US ( 1 hour!!) sort of defeats the purpose of a quick trip ( also into the solar system ) The GC track is within 90 miles ( about) of Santas workshop ( npole).... with all the solar wind/particles flares /cosmic ray issues that brings..but you would only be there for ten minutes I guess!!??

Guess the boys have to spend all the insider gains off the Nahkeel bond insider trading thingy somehow!!

see you for a frothy sometime

WJA:ok:

Fork Handles
15th Dec 2009, 12:23
The girls were almost in tears after waiting over an hour in the immigration que...

WJA:ok:

Yes,yes enough about you, how did the cabin crew deal with the delay?:ok:
16 hrs....Ive had longer sh1ts:eek:

jackbauer
15th Dec 2009, 13:56
16 hrs....Ive had longer sh1ts That accounts for all the wonderful logic in your posts then!!!

fractional
15th Dec 2009, 14:55
Abu Dhabi to LA in 2 hours
It may well happen. Money can buy anything, but it will never be a sustainable operation beyond a stunt of being "the first" for the Guinness.
Abu Dhabi is going the same way as Dubai did in the past. They'll buy anything...:mad: The hunger/thirst is there in their minds. The big difference here is the fact that the former has the money beyond my living days. Once the natural resources run out or their selling value decreases dramatically, they'll end up the same way. Trust me!

PorkKnuckle
15th Dec 2009, 15:41
Aabar Investments boss Khadem Abdullah Al Qusaibi has unveiled plans to fly from Abu Dhabi to LA in two hours, as part of a venture

He sounds like a typically trustworthy Middle Eastern investments guru. I'd like to invest in that. Who could ever lose money in the Middle East?

S.F.L.Y
15th Dec 2009, 18:24
He sounds like a typically trustworthy Middle Eastern investments guru. I'd like to invest in that. Who could ever lose money in the Middle East?

And you sound like someone who doesn't have any idea of who this guy is and how he has been doing business in the past. Who said this operation would be profitable in the short term? Was it profitable to cross the channel with a Bleriot XI?