PDA

View Full Version : !!Need help on an "Ungoogle-able problem!"

cessnapuppy
14th Dec 2009, 06:42
This has been annoying me on and off and on an on for YEARS!

It has to do with the file details display in Windows explorer.

Typically its

[Name ] [size ] [ type ] [ date modified]
xxxxx.xx 33kb xx.document 11/11/2009 12:44am

WHAT PISSES ME OFF IS WHEN....

I browse to a folder that may have all files of a particular type... i.e. all Jpg or all mp3 or something...

THEN the blasted display (for jpgs)

will give me all kinds of additional columns : [Type of camera] [ pixels ] [color density ] [author] ....all kinds of bollucks I dont need or want!!

I can select columns manually to see what fields I want to see to rectify it, but it wont stick for all folders :(

I've done the Tools, Folder options bit to no avail

I'm thinking it has to be some registry setting but cant find any

green granite
14th Dec 2009, 07:50
I'm not certain why you think it's an "Ungoogle-able problem!" Just google "exif data +windows explorer" and you'll get lots of info on the subject.

It's probably a setting in whatever program you use for viewing pictures with.

jetcollie
14th Dec 2009, 07:57
HI,

Assuming you are using Windows XP but I think Vista etc are similar - right click on any of the column header names (eg Size) and select 'More' from the dropdown list.
You should then be able to select and 'Hide' any attributes you don't want, then click OK. That should permanently remove any information columns you don't want.

Tom

frostbite
14th Dec 2009, 11:38
Try (free) Power Desk. I've been using it for many years and it's miles better than Explorer.

Mac the Knife
14th Dec 2009, 12:44
B.G. Miller's "A43" is one of the most versatile file managers around - Home of A43 (http://www.alterion.us/a43/)

And it is really free, unlike Power Desk.

Mac

cessnapuppy
14th Dec 2009, 13:54
Just google "exif data +windows explorer"..
I must confess that particular string would be the last thing I would think of trying!
Thats not what I want tho... Windows already displays that stuff.. I want to turn it off!!

I just want the same old name, size, type information - for ANY file type! all the time!

I'm running out of exclamation points!

Sometimes it seems to be sorted (according to jetcollie) but then I do a file search or some similar and the list of files is all laid out with that rubbish.

The a43 seems promising, but will I get my regular right click shell extensions?

aaaaargh.. I just know there has to be some registry setting I can do but where to find it?

green granite
14th Dec 2009, 13:54
Assuming you are using Windows XP but I think Vista etc are similar - right click on any of the column header names (eg Size) and select 'More' from the dropdown list.
You should then be able to select and 'Hide' any attributes you don't want, then click OK. That should permanently remove any information columns you don't want.

Quite so jetcollie, but what altered them in the first place? Normally it's only the first 4 that are selected, ie name, date modified, type and size.

frostbite
14th Dec 2009, 14:20
And it is really free, unlike Power Desk

Have I got away with something?

I've never been asked/had to contribute anything for mine.

Loose rivets
14th Dec 2009, 16:02
Whatever happened to X-Tree?

What's driving me crazy with Explorer is the folders dashing about just when they think they will. It often leaves the cursor over entirely the wrong folder - indeed, the one you want might have disappeared off the screen.

I have to confess that I'm only using 1024 X 768. Just can't be doing with minuscule icons. :8

Mike X
14th Dec 2009, 17:22
This has been one of my pet peeves (XP pro SP3) for ages. I have been unable to resolve the issue and am just providing (hopefully) moral support.

You are not alone.

jimtherev
14th Dec 2009, 21:34
Whatever happened to X-Tree?

Symantec bought it up, then quietly dropped it. Too simple, too popular, too FREE! Bah.

Ztree still lives, tho...

Mac the Knife
15th Dec 2009, 04:29
And then there's always Midnight Commander (for Windows) - GNU Midnight Commander for Windows (http://www.siegward-jaekel.de/mc-gb.html)

See: Midnight Commander - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Commander)

Invaluable

:ok:

Mac