PDA

View Full Version : iPhone apps for Pilots

Pages : [1] 2

FL170
13th Dec 2009, 11:49
Hey all,

Just got myself a new toy :8..

It would be much appreciated if anyone could advise what apps are worth buying and what features I can use to my benefit when flying.

Cheers

FL170

AlJassmi
13th Dec 2009, 19:21
i like AeroWeather for Metar/TAFs

VH-XXX
13th Dec 2009, 21:38
NAIPS
OZWeather
JetFueling
Dial-A-Wis
Skype (make calls over 3G once you've hacked it)

If you are hacking it, use Blackra1n.

Then install -

- AppSync 3.1
- Backgrounder
- Terminal (to change the password)
- Add in Welcome to Cydia.hackulo.us! (http://cydia.hackulo.us) to Cydia sources once Blackra1n installs Cydia

PM me if you need more info, I have detailed instructions on this.

40Deg STH
13th Dec 2009, 22:18
There is also an APP to work out crew rest on Utra longhaul and carrying heavy crew.:ok:

Bird-dog
13th Dec 2009, 22:41
Hey,

I use Naips, BomRadar, Flightplan (for every conversion under the sun you can think of), and Co-Pilot.

I think CoPilot is a fantastic app, great for weight and balance, great for flight planning and simple to use. I met a pilot on the weekend who said that his previous company used it instead of Champagne Flight Planning.

Highly recommended.

Bird-Dog

DeeJayEss
14th Dec 2009, 06:41
Another vote for Rowan Wilson's NAIPS app, it's brilliant.

carlbgc
14th Dec 2009, 06:45
Another vote for Copilot and NAIPS.

WELL worth the money.

longrass
14th Dec 2009, 07:23
Copilot is awesome, has a basic moving map and hsi coupled to the gps chipset, great app, deff worth buying

Pretzal
14th Dec 2009, 10:43
Another vote for NAIPS - Exceptional app and keeps adding new and useful features. Also use OZ weather too and find that very good.

Best Speed
14th Dec 2009, 11:03
Just about everything you will need is here.:ok:

Essential iPhone Applications for Pilots - Airline Pilot Apps (http://www.airlinepilotapps.com/)

Homesick-Angel
14th Dec 2009, 12:24
Naips
Oz weather
Live ATC
Flightplan
X-plane
Aero weather
All good:ok:

archangel7
8th Feb 2010, 02:03
Hey guys, I finalyyy decided to go the dark side and purhase an iPhone :p I've noticed there are heaps of aviation applications ie: gps, flightplanning, met, checklists etc and I am wondering if any of you have downloaded apps that you found useful in the industry as they are not that cheap either.

compressor stall
8th Feb 2010, 02:19
Gaia GPS seems to be the best GPS app I have seen in terms of a good GUI.

Time Calculators are useful when adding up sectors and cross checking entries into various documents.

NAIPS if you need works well.

Aeroweather and iports do similar things (current weather/notams/metars), but Aeroweather has first/last light and iports has some basic runway info which can be useful for prepreplanning.

Worldview app keeps you up to date on webcams if you fly to ports with webcams.

Conversions

World map. Useful for discussions about longhaul flight routes.

Declination - magnetic variation world map.

Save a wunderground safari page as an app icon to go straight to the location group you want

Good Reader - USB upload all your aircraft manuals and Maintenace manuals in PDF to your iphone. Very useful to have to hand.

Notecards - make flashcard question and answers on your aircraft technical specs/limitations or IFR questions etc.

Real Racing full - for overnights. :)

archangel7
8th Feb 2010, 02:40
Cheers mate :) I also noticed there is a live ATC app as well that would be pretty intersting I wonder if that would work in oz

compressor stall
8th Feb 2010, 02:55
I've got 1 gig to play with and never seem to come anywhere near it - but when I am at home or work I am on wifi. If I am on an overnight, and I have my computer with me, I set it up as a wifi network and my phone uses the room's data connexion.

girl with a stick
8th Feb 2010, 03:21
Naips is fantastic.

I've also got Live ATC (a bit geeky, I know)

And a few freebies:

Pilotwiz - for calcs and conversions

Dial a Wis - all the AWIS numbers

Oz Radar - Bom's radar maps

VH-XXX
8th Feb 2010, 03:32
Have seen a few getting around with the full ERSA on the iPhone but you can only do it when it's jailbroken as you can't browse the file system otherwise.

Seems that the ERSA people don't want the app developed for iPhone unless they get the $CASH$. NAIPS was a bit different as it's free. I can't see why they are worried, as it's available online anyway.

jjdnyc
8th Feb 2010, 04:05
XXX, you can just pick up Goodreader and it will handle, sort and display any PDFs (and other file types). 99cents. No jbreak req'd.

rodrigues
8th Feb 2010, 04:24
XXX, you can just pick up Goodreader and it will handle, sort and display any PDFs (and other file types). 99cents. No jbreak req'd.

I've downloaded 'goodreader', how do I now go about obtaining the ERSA?

ERSA on iPhone (http://iphoneersa.wordpress.com/) reports that (as mentioned) Airservices approval still hasn't been given yet.

VH-XXX
8th Feb 2010, 05:17
Thanks, will get onto the GoodReader bandwagon.

Is an electronic ERSA legal?

glekichi
8th Feb 2010, 06:08
Goodreader is good but it doesn't seem to help with AIP or ERSA because they are divided up into a billion separate files. :mad:
(a complete pain in the arse when searching them, even on a PC!)

Oakape
8th Feb 2010, 10:14
compressor stall,

If I am on an overnight, and I have my computer with me, I set it up as a wifi network and my phone uses the room's data connexion

Am I correct in my understanding that you plug the hotel internet cable into the computer to connect to the internet & then use the computer's wifi to connect the iPhone? If so, is there a quick way of explaining how you do this?

compressor stall
8th Feb 2010, 11:48
Differing ways, depending on whether you run mac or PC. Google "Reverse Tethering" and all will be revealed. :ok:

Kopy
9th Feb 2010, 00:49
Yep - I emailed the guy that wrote it asking why there was no info for YBAF and I got the reply:

"well, unfortunately US NOAA does not report data for YBAF (ADDS - METARs (http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/metars/index.php)). *I'm sorry about that."

Oakape
9th Feb 2010, 00:58
Thanks compressor stall - all sorted!

freshy1234
9th Feb 2010, 05:39
If you don't wanna bring a computer grab a "travel router" which will just plug into the Ethernet cable in the hotel room and give you wireless for your iPhone... works well.

Oakape
10th Feb 2010, 11:18
If you want to have something a little less complicated than reverse tethering, try putting 'connectify' into google.

The software is free, but only works on Windows 7. Down the page is a link to a review by CNET. They only list software that is virus, spyware & malware free, if you are concerned. This page also has the download link.

Working well so far.:ok:

compressor stall
10th Feb 2010, 11:57
Good to hear that you got it sorted. It's a bit simpler on the mac!

Stikybeke
10th Feb 2010, 19:34
After reading all this and checking out some of those links I've just got to get me one of these........

Stiky
:8

compressor stall
10th Feb 2010, 20:37
I'd hold off for a bit if you can. Judging by past cycles and releases, the next version of iPhone should be out in the next couple of months.

megle2
10th Feb 2010, 20:59
Any experience in diffeences between 3g and 3g"s" Iphones.

VH-XXX
10th Feb 2010, 21:09
Any experience in differences between 3g and 3g"s" Iphones.

Yes. If you have used a 3GS you won't want to go back to the 3G model as the 3GS is much faster.

If you are buying new, try waiting till June when the new model comes out, it will have a new multi-tasking operating system (retro installable on the old models), a 5mp camera and flash, amongst other features.

If you are Jailbreaking, the latest 3GS's won't work (you need a PC with iTunes to boot them up if you restart them). This has been the case for a few months. If you are buying second hand, aim for an early model 3GS.

archangel7
11th Feb 2010, 06:27
hey guys i downloaded the liveatc app and I must say its worth every cent! i love it!

megle2
11th Feb 2010, 10:35
XXX, thanks for info.

See you corrected my poor spelling too!
Why is it that I don't notice the mistakes when I post but that they stand out like dog-b's next day.

mickjoebill
11th Feb 2010, 16:39
Am I correct in my understanding that you plug the hotel internet cable into the computer to connect to the internet & then use the computer's wifi to connect the iPhone? If so, is there a quick way of explaining how you do this?

On your computer a mac i hope:) click piece of pie icon next to the digital clock top right of screen.
turn on Airport and wait a few seconds
Same icon select create network, make up a name and tick the require password box.
Create password
OK
Open System preferences
Under internet and network heading click Sharing.
Tick internet sharing
close

On iphone
click
settings
wifi
on
a list of wifi networks will pop up. choose the network you just created.
and you're in.

Alternatively check what wifi networks you are receiving before you pay for hotel internet as you may get lucky with a local network from a novice who has not protected his wifi connection to the internet with a password :E

When finished turn off wifi as it saves battery and also does not announce your presence ie "Oakape's iphone" to anyone in the vicinity searching or monitoring wifi. This is more of an issue for the ladies who can reveal their first name to anyone who is trawling at starbucks or the pub when they walk through the door with wifi on.

mickjoebill

PhillC
11th Feb 2010, 22:55
PilotWizz - for calculations and conversions (mentioned earlier)

Aeroweather - for METAR and TAFs (also mentioned earlier)

Just wanted to point out that these two are free (as in beer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_Libre#.22Free_as_in_beer.22_vs_.22Free_as_in_s peech.22)).

Stikybeke
12th Feb 2010, 22:14
Thanks to Compressor Stall and XXX....

I'd made some enquiries and the Telstra Sales rep forgot to tell me there's a new one coming out in June....I guess they can't remember everything...so June it is!!!!

Stiky
:8

compressor stall
12th Feb 2010, 23:59
Stikybeke - There are many many reports of Telstra sales staff being disingenuous at best about the iPhone. Apparently they make less margin with the iPhone than other handsets and have been heard to say some false things about it to steer customers to more profitable (for Telstra) handsets.

As for the next release - Apple have not confirmed that it will be released in June. They are notoriously secretive about their product releases, although they do engage in strategic leaks to generate hype.

However when you look at the cycles of iPhone releases, there should be one soon. Examples of the new iPhone have apparently been spotted "in the wild" (discovered through browser logs on websites) in the same Californian areas that the previous iPhones were before their release - most likely Apple employees testing them.

Capt Claret
13th Feb 2010, 01:19
Owen before I purchased an iPhone I went to one of the local Apple stores, who advised that they could only sell me one with a contract, Vodphone in their case.

I dislike Telstra with a passion, but they have far superior national coverage, so I stick with them, as much as it galls me to do so.

blueloo
13th Feb 2010, 04:24
I too purchased outright from The Sydney city Apple store. no contracts, handset not locked. will do it for the next one too (if able).

Maybe this is only available at the genuine official Apple stores - not the suburban franchises.....??

I believe the Australian Apple stores are the only stores worldwide selling the handsets unlocked....

BPH63
13th Feb 2010, 04:30
Evernote - not specific for aviation - but use it ALL the time. Set your computer homepage as your Evernote account and never have to remember stuff again as it works seamlessly with your iPhone.

Others mentioned above plus World Aviation Weather

206greaser
13th Feb 2010, 06:57
$55 Ultimate plan from Telstra is the way to go. There's not much info on their website about it for the iphone, but you can do it. You will have to pay $150 on your first bill for the base model. $150 not much for what you get! Includes 150 mb, which i've never come close to. I do have wireless at home, and work though. NextG does kick A. I use my phone a fair bit as i don't have a landline, and i've never busted my 150 mins.

BOM! My favorite app! With NextG i get coverage across most of the top end. Pretty handy having weather radar in your pocket on those long legs in the wet. Although it has been pretty weak lately.

Seriously look into the Ultimate $55 it's worked for me. I was soooo freakin close to switching to Optus, cause how can you beat their plans? If you need it for work though there is unfortunately only one option.

Cheers,
Greaser...Iphone lover...

stick&rudder15
13th Feb 2010, 22:51
Optus has a timeless plan at the moment, $100 per month all you can talk, text, MMS to any carrier and land line in Aus.
This excludes 1300, and 13 numbers, you also get 1500mb of data.
Pretty good deal if you are in a Major city, iphone cost is $13 a month for a 16gig.

littlehurcules
14th Feb 2010, 05:15
Trapster - saves me money with driving to/from the airport (and being caught):}

Greek God
5th Mar 2010, 15:02
Not being software minded or knowing the first thing about programming does anyone know of a Flight Time Limits app (UK) This is something that seems to to be conspicuously absent from any of the aviation apps?

el_capitano
6th Mar 2010, 01:43
When buying an iPhone outright the best place to do this is at the Apple Store, not one of the side kick stores selling Apple. I purchased mine outright from Apple as I loathe contracts.
Before I went to the Apple store to purchase my beloved iPhone I did go into one of the side kick stores where they offered a better price for the phone but there was the catch that you had to sign up on a contract with Vodafone and that simply was not an option.
I am with Telstra at the moment on a $130/mth member plan, gives me $2000 included calls 150mb browsing, and as the actual call rates are so low on this plan I dont get any where near the $2000 worth of included calls.
As for NextG I am still amazed at the coverage I get in the places I go.

halas
6th Mar 2010, 15:25
Not true Blueloo. Many countries now that sell unlocked. US is not one of them:)

halas

Biggles66
15th Mar 2010, 06:30
Does copilot come with an australian database?

rodrigues
15th Mar 2010, 10:45
Does copilot come with an australian database?

Certainly does.

w2k24
17th Mar 2010, 00:37
Hi all,
I moved to the dark side too and bought a sealed 32gb 3gs from ebay. Just used BlackRa1n to jailbreak and unlock.
Been hooked on Doodle all week but will now be checkin out some of the apps mentioned here.

Also, does anybody recommend any of the logbook apps? Apparently the best one is for Mac users but does anyone use one for pc sync?

myshoutcaptain
17th Mar 2010, 00:43
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oz-weather/id295147485?mt=8

Quick access to BoM Radar and Forecasts.

flyintheskyfr
20th Mar 2010, 12:44
Hello,

I made an application (iProPilot) to calculate duty limitations.

here is the link: iProPilot pour iPhone, iPod touch et iPad dans l?App Store d'iTunes (http://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/ipropilot/id359032553?mt=8)

At the moment, it works only with JAR reglementation (EUROPE)

Benoit

spirax
21st Mar 2010, 06:07
If you want a program that performs and display's like an onboard FMC then this is a good one.

PFMA (Pocket Flight Management Assistant). Not free, but worth it.:ok:

desmotronic
21st Mar 2010, 09:40
air nav pro

gps moving map with airspace boundaries most airports and navaids gps derived vor adf hsi altimeter presentation plus all the usual gps functions. downloadable terrain map . it will flatten yr phone battery in 2 hours and apparently there's a romsey airport is in the middle of bass strait. :8 Not bad tho for fifteen bucks.

Spikey21
21st Mar 2010, 12:11
If you want a program that performs and display's like an onboard FMC then this is a good one.

PFMA (Pocket Flight Management Assistant). Not free, but worth it

It only does the basics, no PNR's etc

Shagpile
22nd Mar 2010, 13:01
ERSA on iPhone (http://iphoneersa.wordpress.com/) reports that (as mentioned) Airservices approval still hasn't been given yet. I've moved the page to ozRunways - ERSA on iPhone (http://ozrunways.com) for anybody interested.

Iknowboats
9th Apr 2010, 08:42
Clearly I'm way behind the times! Are you guys saying that the GPS and apps in this thing is good enough to give accurate in-flight nav data? Can it give altitude as well?

Shagpile
10th Apr 2010, 03:44
Yes it gives altitude although you must be aware of the limitations of Assisted GPS, meaning it downloads the alminac from a phone tower. No phone coverage = no gps.

Red Jet
10th Apr 2010, 04:27
No phone coverage = no gps.
Sorry, but that is absolute bollocks!! Assisted GPS works very well indeed, without the help of the mobile towers. The towers do however, assist with fast position aquisition after repositioning of the device, and will provide a degraded position while the device is shielded from the satellites, such as in the middle of the CBD etc.

You are right however, to caution against the in-flight use of GPS altitude, as every other aircraft is using a barometrically referenced altitude

flyintheskyfr
10th Apr 2010, 09:11
Hello,

iProPilot 3.3 to check flight duty and FTL calculation according to JAR OPS 7 reglementation: http://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/ipropilot-ftl-calculator/id359032553?mt=8

FLT Calculator CAA CAP 371 UK to check duty and FTL calculations according to CAA CAP 371- reglementation: http://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/flt-calculator-caa-cap-371-uk/id363374658?mt=8

Any comments are welcome

Shagpile
11th Apr 2010, 12:53
Sorry, but that is absolute bollocks!! Assisted GPS works very well indeed, without the help of the mobile towers

Possibly, although personally I have not been able to get a position fix from an aircraft in the middle of nowhere.

Shagpile
11th Apr 2010, 12:55
Sorry, but that is absolute bollocks!! Assisted GPS works very well indeed, without the help of the mobile towersPossibly, although personally I have not been able to get a position fix from an aircraft in the middle of nowhere.

glekichi
11th Apr 2010, 13:44
Shagpile, I was worried that would be the case when I bought one but I have no problems getting a very accurate fix when well out of coverage on the iPhone. The antenna does seem to be a bit weaker than some other models and needs to be right up by the window to get a fix which can be a pain at times.

triadic
11th Apr 2010, 15:44
My Nokia N95 in flight mode gives a good GPS position in the middle of nowhere ... ie Pacific and Indian Ocean. My Iphone (late model) with GPS works well outside of phone coverage.

Interesting that the iPhone Flight Mode does not permit GPS reception.

I understand under ICAO and Oz regs GPS receivers in flight is ok. Maybe Apple have not seen that??

Red Jet
11th Apr 2010, 16:00
When out in the middle of nowhere (such as over the Pacific or Indian Ocean) , the iPhone gives a good position from a windowseat in the cabin, but nothing at all while in the cockpit. Reason is that the electrically heated windshields blankets out the fickle GPS signal (at least that is the case in our aircraft). And you're right - the flight mode on the iPhone disables the GPS-positioning. If you jailbrake your iPhone, you can separately turn on/off the positioning and phone, which solves the flight-mode problem.

Shagpile
12th Apr 2010, 04:38
ahh - I always put mine in flight mode. Interesting :)

TD747
13th Apr 2010, 20:13
I love super simple free apps -- Pilot Time gives you UTC/Local Time in one touch. Plus a simple converter. Best part you can customize with your favorite aviation photos. iTunes Store (http://itunes.com/app/pilottime)

htran
29th Jun 2010, 13:57
I've written an app for iPad and iPhone that like Goodreader allows you to download the ERSA from Airservices Australia.

Unlike Goodreader, the app has all the separate files indexed, so you just click on the airport you want and it downloads that PDF :-)

Without distributing the ERSA itself (which is copyright), shouldn't need approval from Airservices Australia as its no different from downloading the publicly available ERSA using firefox/safari/Arcobat/Goodreader.

So unless anyone here is strongly against me publishing "iERSA", I'm going to submit it to apple for the app store.

I'm working on a "download all" option and full text search which would be available in future release.

htran
7th Jul 2010, 04:28
The iERSA app is now available on the app store.

tmpffisch
7th Jul 2010, 04:33
Just downloaded it. It's a bit pricey for what it is (essentially a PDF viewer), and I crashed it within the first 30 seconds.

That said, it's a pretty fast app and easy to use. Would be nice to be able to get it to download every aerodrome within the state etc.

UPDATE - can't even get iersa to work now... just comes up with blank pages for every aerodrome.

htran
7th Jul 2010, 12:12
Did you try the support website?

bentrengrove
7th Jul 2010, 23:16
I don't know how you believe you are not breaking copyright when you have used the books name in your title and also the copyright statement says "no part of the AIS Publications may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, transmitted, redistributed, republished or commercially exploited in any way without the prior written permission of Airservices Australia."

You are storing yours in a retrieval system (local cache) and you are commercially exploiting the documents as your application has no ability to view any other PDF's which would make it a general PDF viewer

Shagpile
8th Jul 2010, 00:03
htran - I hope you know what you're doing...Airservices have a pretty strong track record of going after people (with lawyers) who infringe their copyright. They had a pretty big court case against Jeppesen recently too.

htran
8th Jul 2010, 04:32
There are a few different issues.

According to IP Australia ERSA is not a registered trademark and nor is iERSA. Trademarks and Copyright are two different things.

The only thing that I have copied in my application is the AirServices Australia copyright notice because according to the notice it says

"Unless specified otherwise, AIS Publications may be used only for viewing (in an unaltered form which retains this notice) for information purposes. "

So I am complying with their requirement to retain the notice. The PDFs that the user downloads from ASA is unaltered.

In respect to "Except as permitted above and by the Copyright Act 1968, no part of the AIS Publications may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, transmitted, redistributed, republished or commercially exploited in any way without the prior written permission of Airservices Australia. "

I am not doing any of the above. The end user is the one downloading the ERSA, an in so reproducing and storing it on THEIR device. If anyone is liable its the user of the tool. ie. If you get caught with a radar detector you get fined not the manufacturer.

That aside, downloading the ERSA for the purposes for flight planning should be consider viewing for informational purposes and covered under the
Section 43A of the Copyright Act 1968 " (1) The copyright (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s10.html#copy) in a work (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s189.html#work), or an adaptation (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s10.html#adaptation) of a work (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s189.html#work), is not infringed by making a temporary reproduction of the work (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s189.html#work) or adaptation (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s10.html#adaptation) as part of the technical process of making or receiving a communication."

The user receives the ERSA from ASA from their public webserver, and the Cache by its definition is a temporary store.

I am using Apple's Webview object in my application, which essentially means the user using Safari to view the files. How is this different from a user using Safari on their iPad or IE on their PC to download the PDF? Ok I'll answer that, its just damn easier!

Also the user could download the PDFs using their PC, and connect their iPhone/iPad to iTunes and manually transfer the PDFs to the application.

This is completely different from me downloading the entire ERSA and including in the application or hosting it on my own server, because that would be "reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, transmitted, redistributed, republished"

At the end of the day, I'm not a lawyer, so I don't have a few million in the bank they can get out of me anyway.

In relation to being able to open other PDFs? That's a great idea, I'm going to add the ability to open other PDFs in the app, I can't believe I didn't think of that, as my DA40 POH and Checklists are in PDF format, which I've been using Goodreader to view. :)

VH-XXX
8th Jul 2010, 05:13
HTRAN, are you using PPRUNE for your own personal or commercial financial gain given that you wrote the iERSA application?

htran
8th Jul 2010, 05:39
I'm just trying to save some trees and help those looking for iPhone apps for Pilots save some trees.

I'm just going with the flow in this thread where people are posting links for iPhone apps for pilots.

All I said was the app is on the app store, didn't even put a link.

VH-XXX
8th Jul 2010, 05:47
If you are just trying to save some trees and help those looking for iPhone apps for Pilots save some trees.

why are you charging $12.99 for it?

b_sta
8th Jul 2010, 05:56
htran, at $12.99 per download I dare say that you are 'commercially exploiting without the prior written permission of Airservices Australia'...

tmpffisch
8th Jul 2010, 05:56
I am not doing any of the above. The end user is the one downloading the ERSA, an in so reproducing and storing it on THEIR device. If anyone is liable its the user of the tool. ie. If you get caught with a radar detector you get fined not the manufacturer.

Why'd Napster get sued then?

No, I didn't try the support site. There isn't one, just a forum, and I'm not about to sign up to yet another forum just to get support for an app that doesn't show any signs of working. I'd much rather just get my money back and leave some interesting reviews for it on iTunes.

htran
8th Jul 2010, 06:30
But I'm not touching their data in any way. The end user is using the iPhone/iPad's web browser (with my navigation system) to download themselves.

So Apple should pay ASA for allowing users to use Safari on iPhone/iPad/Mac to download the ERSA?

What about Microsoft, for letting users download it via Internet explorer?

You know how many hours of coding after work I spent writing the app. At the end of the day, if no one buys the app, I'm going to better with my iphone and ipad in the cockpit instead of my laptop, and I saved a few trees.

Where naptser when down is there were indeed transmitting data on their servers.

Don't forget Apple gets 30% and the Government takes 10% GST :-)

sprocket check
8th Jul 2010, 11:03
I think you guys are giving htran unduly hard time.

It's a limited market. It does take time and effort to get these apps done.

I would rather support local development or constructively criticise it than bag it. Of the 25000 CPLs in Australia maybe 2000 have an iphone. I doubt he would be looking at any more than $30000 income, more like $5000.

Give the guy suggestion on improving the app and buy it. It's about the cost of a sandwich or two, or fish and chips, or a medium pizza, or a coffee and a cake...

sc

hardNfast
8th Jul 2010, 11:11
I agree. How about we try and support someone who is developing apps for pilots.

If you don't like it don't buy it.

tmpffisch
8th Jul 2010, 11:37
But I did buy it, the app doesn't work at all, and htran is refusing to provide any support as my iPhone is jailbroken (like a lot of iPhones, which as he should know won't cause the issue...just a cheap cop out :oh:)

htran
8th Jul 2010, 13:30
I just had the same problem regarding downloading ERSA sections after a cleared my cache.

This happened on both my iPad and iPhone devices.

5 minutes later, both devices were able to download ERSA sections. Seems like the ASA server was down or my Internet wasn't working.

Remember, I don't provide the ERSA in the application, you still have to access it via the Internet, and as most people these day would know, servers go down, access to all resources on the net aren't always available.

Hence, why once you've downloaded a section, it stays cached, as you can't guarantee being able to get what you need from the internet all the time.

V1.1 sent to Apple and v1.2 already underway is far from refusing to help fix the problem.

htran
8th Jul 2010, 13:38
For those who ask "why are you charging $12.99 for it?"

Why does Apple charge me $1060 for my iPad 3G?
Why does ASA charge me $27 for the ERSA when I can download it free from their site?
Why does microsoft charge me $$$ for an operating system that 7 versions along and still crashes?
Why do I have to pay $110 per hour for a ground briefing when I've read up on everything?
Why do I have to pay $3 per touch and go.

So to answer the question, after apple takes a cut, and the govt takes a GST, and then I pay income tax on it, I get about $5.

$5 towards the iPad that I use to develop the software, towards the Macbook Pro that I need to use. $5 towards $300 per hour I have to pay to hire a plane. $5 towards the quarterly updates to the app.

$12.99 for an app (one off cost) is cheaper than $27 per quarter!

I'm already working on a generic PDF reader for the app so you can load up all your checklists and manuals and PDF maps onto the device.

There's going to be a GPS and Map function on the roadmap.

If only I could would out how to send flight plans to NAIPS I would add that too, but like a typical government dept there is no information on interfacing with their system.

desmotronic
8th Jul 2010, 14:16
i bought it and it works fine..

av8trflying
8th Jul 2010, 21:00
There already is a Naips app by a bloke called Rowan Willson. Works great.:ok:

By the way, I dont know him

desmotronic
9th Jul 2010, 00:07
htran, just put daps on it first :ok: and dont bloody charge me again ! :8

glekichi
9th Jul 2010, 00:30
I'd pay the $13 if it could do ERSA, DAP, and, most importantly for me, AIP.

Could view them all no hassles even without the app if damn ASA would just make them ONE pdf file each, instead of hundreds of separate files. Would make searching a :mad: load easier too.

htran
9th Jul 2010, 01:12
The DAP is on the drawing board.
The AIP is full of embedded links which is going to make it tricky.

I agree that if ASA produced a DAP.pdf and ERSA.pdf and a AIP.pdf no one would need iERSA.

That said, the two reason why I wrote the app was because ASA in their wisdom decided to make it hard for the average user to access their online documents, and I read that people on threads like this have been asking for it.

No more comments from me about this, I had originally just wanted to post that there was now an app to access the ERSA on iPhone and iPad, which I did, and I think after that the discussions have been getting a little out of hand.

sprocket check
9th Jul 2010, 10:01
There is a case there for AIP in PDF format that is usable.

In fact it is a safety improvement issue.

The current web version is as useful as a hip pocket on a singlet.

Btw I have been downloading ERSA for ages. No point wasting trees.

ferdad
17th Jul 2010, 03:08
I bought it on the IPAD and it is awesome. Great job, and I think it is totaly inexpensive considering the safety aspect for me.

I had to search through the ERSA a month ago to find the Radio out procedure for YSCN while flying (real problem with head in the cockpit time). Having this would have been much better.

Ended up that the YSCN procedure was missing and I had to go to bankstown and do it again...

Ultralights
17th Jul 2010, 08:49
i love the Ipad, but wont buy one until they have the same functionality as a Laptop, which wont be too far off

VH-XXX
17th Jul 2010, 09:33
Ultralights, that will never happen, otherwise it would no longer be an Apple.

megle2
17th Jul 2010, 09:34
What about those new Hanvon touch pads at Officeworks

Ultralights
17th Jul 2010, 13:17
i dont know, i have some friends in the industry that say the Ipad will eventually be the new macbook.

htran
21st Jul 2010, 08:04
AirServices Australia wants me to pull the plug on iERSA by 31 July claiming that iERSA infringes in their copyright, even though iERSA does not contain anything from the ERSA and is merely an alternative to using Internet Explorer or Safari to download and view the ERSA. The fact is iERSA uses Safari.

For a licence fee, they would be willing to have the user download the ERSA from my website instead of theirs.

So from 31 July no more iERSA. Hopefully apple will approve v1.1 update by then so users of v1.0 can have some bugs fixed.

I will evaluate how much ASA wants, if they don't want too much I'll sign up, otherwise, too bad for the aviation community, I still have an app that's useful to me, and other pilots will be stuck with buying a paper copy every 3 months, and struggling with the crappy ASA website downloading one aerodrome at a time on their PCs and manually uploading PDFs to their device.

desmotronic
21st Jul 2010, 14:25
and what if you dont?

htran
21st Jul 2010, 16:09
They are threatening to sue me.

No there are two issues, firstly whether iERSA infringes upon ASA's ERSA trademark, and secondly whether my application breaches the Copyright Act.

On the first point, whilst iERSA is clearly an iPhone Webbrowser and PDF reader app, and ERSA is a book, I could understand if someone might be misled, so I am happy to change the name of the application, and as a gesture of good will I will remove the application from sale by the requested date of 31 July 2010.

On the second point, I need to consider whether following section applies.

Section 43A of the Copyright Act 1968 " (1) The copyright (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s10.html#copy) in a work (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s189.html#work), or an adaptation (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s10.html#adaptation) of a work (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s189.html#work), is not infringed by making a temporary reproduction of the work (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s189.html#work) or adaptation (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s10.html#adaptation) as part of the technical process of making or receiving a communication."

Now given users are authorised to download and view the ERSA, I think this section would apply.

No where in my application or my server have I taken a copy of the ERSA and republished it.

Also why aren't ASA threatening to sue Apple, Microsoft, Google, Adobe because their applications allow users to download and view the ERSA online too! Why aren't anti-piracy companies suing Bit torrent client makers for their users downloading pirated content?

I believe that iERSA is a cut down web browser using the iPhone's Safari web browser to allow a user download and view publically available PDFs files.

ASA claim that when a user downloads the PDFs they become part of my application.

I disagree, the user downloads the PDFs into their device's "Documents" directory, which is in "user space", no different from a PC's My Documents directory. No ASA data is stored in my application or application directory.

I believe that this is ASA's attempt to prevent people from accessing easily accessing the ERSA online, because who really wants to carry their laptop in a plane, by making the online ERSA hard to use, it forces users to go buy their paper copy.

That said, ASA are willing to negotiate to licence the ERSA to me, provide me with a copy and allow me to distribute it (for a price). However, that isn't what my application does, it's not designed to distribute the ERSA, its a webbrower and PDF viewer!

So I'm going to have a think about whether its worth making this app available to other pilots, because my golden rule as a iphone programming hobbyist, is as long as the app works for me I don't care whether any one buys my apps or not.

At the end o the day I think its going to depend on how much support I get from the flying community as iERSA was written because I read quite a few posts about people asking for an app like it.

Avgas172
21st Jul 2010, 22:36
Bugger ASA:E, does the app as sold still work after July 31?

hardNfast
21st Jul 2010, 23:46
Also why aren't ASA threatening to sue Apple, Microsoft, Google, Adobe because their applications allow users to download and view the ERSA online too!

Maybe they don't like the idea that you are making money off a product which is available online for free. This would be taking away from people possibly purchasing a ERSA in its book form.

spirax
22nd Jul 2010, 07:40
When all this copyright stuff came to a head some years ago, there was much discussion on who actually owns the data...? One opinion is that the 'Commonwealth' owns the data and ASA have the licence to publish it.

In other words when you buy the paper copy, you are paying for the paper and printing etc, not the data therein. ASA had a change of legal manager some years back which brought all this about as she did not understand the issues, but saw it as something that it was not, nor I suggest ever meant to be!
At the end of the day, it is the Commonwealth (the State) that owns the data such as the ERSA, AIP etc. ASA are the keepers of the data and publish it. (After all the Commonwealth is the 'owner' of ASA). Jepps had a war with ASA some years back and in the end gave in just to get the data out there. With the introduction of electronic data and the means now to store and access it in a practical manner the game has changed but ASA have not, which I suggest indicates they do not understand the issues on the table.:confused:

I am still of the belief that this is nothing other than an attempt by ASA to increase their income and not to provide a service to the flying community in a method now available and acceptable. Just see what they charge to design and publish a GPS NPA!! $%^&#$@ !!:ugh:

This is a job that a responsible Minister should rule on. Pity we have not had one of those for a while!:(

Avgas172
23rd Jul 2010, 11:07
Have been playing with the iphone & worked out that if you google ersa, then open asa site link, click on agree to conditions etc in aip, click on ersa in aip then press + on bottom of phone, then add to home screen, add name as ERSA.....bingo instant link to ersa on the iphone with no need for an app. :ok:

htran
23rd Jul 2010, 14:17
Maybe they don't like the idea that you are making money off a product which is available online for free. This would be taking away from people possibly purchasing a ERSA in its book form.

Still doesn't answer my question why don't they go hassle Apple, Google, Microsoft, Adobe who also make web browsers that allow users to download the ERSA. They also make money from selling users the operating system that the browser is included.

I think they want to make online access as hard and possible because using IE, firefox, Safari isn't as easy as my app, so users will be forced to buy their paper book.

htran
23rd Jul 2010, 14:24
Have been playing with the iphone & worked out that if you google ersa, then open asa site link, click on agree to conditions etc in aip, click on ersa in aip then press + on bottom of phone, then add to home screen, add name as ERSA.....bingo instant link to ersa on the iphone with no need for an app.

Yes but on your iPhone the default browser doesn't do offline browsing so what happens when ur in the air and u lose data connectivity. It would be ok if u had a computer in your cockpit and used something like firefox with offline mode.

That was the big benefit of my app. Well I will see if it's worth this further after get some legal advice, as I don't agree with ASA claiming a copyright breach on my behalf.

Avgas172
23rd Jul 2010, 21:41
True Tran, but thats the part I don't get, how the app stores ersa, recently did a trip that took in pretty much all of nsw in a loop and didnt run out of service for more than a few minutes anywhere .... certainly enuff to obtain info from iphone on wx radar loop etc, would still purchase app if it stores the info like pilot wizz etc (love leaving the wizz wheel in it's case) :E

compressor stall
23rd Jul 2010, 23:12
Australia is bigger than that avgas172. Offline is a must. I hope our iPhone developer pursues this against Asa, it's a great idea.

Avgas172
24th Jul 2010, 03:45
my little 172 gets very frightened when it goes anywhere in a straight line for more than 6 hours .....:}

htran
24th Jul 2010, 13:26
It stores the ersa the same way you would use Internet explored to save the PDF to your My Documents directory.

The smarts I put into app is it reads the iPad/iPhones my documents directory, if u didn't already use your PC to download the relevant ERSA section and upload it to your device then it does a HTTP get to download that document to your My Documents directory, the it displays it using Safari. The next time you request that document it checks your My Documents directory, finds that u have already downloaded it, and displays it from your My Documents instead of wasting ASA's server and your phones bandwidth downloading it again as in the case if you used the default iphone web browser Safari.

This gives u redundancy should u by flying and u lose data comms, and it saves both u and ASA data charges because u only download the PDF file once.

Someone at ASA didn't think of the benefits of such an application.

Avgas172
26th Jul 2010, 05:50
cool. ...gottit! :ok:

htran
26th Jul 2010, 17:09
As I posted here before AirServices Australia sent me a letter claiming that iERSA might breach their ERSA trademark.

As a result of that iERSA is now called Electronic Flight Bag. I've withdrawn that application from the app store whilst I update the branding.

I've also posted that AirServices Australia claims that the application infringes upon their copyright, even though the application is simply a web browser and document viewer optimised for aviation purposes and the application does not contain any publications or copyright material.

So!

I've updated the application so that all web browsing functions are available. The negative side is the a URL toolbar occupies some screen space, the positive side is that users can also browse to non aviation optimised websites, although only aviation bookmarked sites (provided by me) are cached when viewed and then available offline. The ability to download, view and view offline is pretty much standard on PC web browsers. The "aviation optimisation" part of my web browser is important aviation web pages are cached. At present that's the ERSA and Pre-Flight Briefings. In the future other pages may be added.

Users of iERSA will receive an automatic free update once testing is complete and the update is approved by Apple, I anticipate this will take approximately 10 days.

htran
28th Jul 2010, 13:32
Screens shots of EFB v.1.1

Dropbox - Photos - Online backup, file sync and sharing made easy. (http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/7307521/1/EFB_1.1?h=b9e8e7)

compressor stall
28th Jul 2010, 21:29
Good stuff. Can u do the AIPs next? I have the Transport Canada one that is online and the FAR AIM that is offline and has a really good index.
http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu353/stallie001/a501b0a7.jpg
http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu353/stallie001/10095393.jpg
http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu353/stallie001/f7b2573a.jpg

htran
29th Jul 2010, 06:54
Bookmarking and interfacing with the DAPs is next on the radar, the AIP PDFs are so unusable that indexing them looks very hard. What I mean by that is they put links in the PDFs which makes it hard to provide caching.

PyroTek
31st Jul 2010, 10:01
Got my iPhone 4. Thanks for all these ideas. Also I saw an app called "Aircraft Horizon" - it's an AI/AH (whichever you want to refer to it as) - could be fun to spring on the instructor during partial panel instrument training :}

test7875
2nd Aug 2010, 03:10
Hi folks,

Got my iPhone 4 as well.
Has anyone found any good PPL exam learning applications for the iPhone?

The main one I can find is "PPL Facts By The Great Circle" with flashcards, Revision Facts JAA PPL ie European Based but still very informative (For $6). Theres also some American ones.

Are there any Australian based ones?"

Anything you can recommend that you have used with the iPhone for learning??

Thanks in advance

Anthony.

nitpicker330
4th Aug 2010, 12:42
The i phone 4 has a 3 axis gyro installed apparently.
Are there any apps that use this feature?
Apart from the old A/H apps.

compressor stall
4th Aug 2010, 13:29
Anything you can recommend that you have used with the iPhone for learning??

I use Mental Case for learning.

I have various cases (banks) of questions all typed in myself on the mac program (30USD) then it syncs with my iPhone and I have over 1000 questions in my hand to revise at any time.

Subjects include:

Aircraft limitations
IFR speeds, rules etc
Technical data for the aircraft
Buttons (eg - name all seven systems that pressing this button interfaces with).

etc etc.

Well worth the ~$42aud all up it cost.

htran
5th Aug 2010, 11:19
Electronic Flight Bag v1.1 has been approved by Apple and is now available on the App Store

Electronic Flight Bag for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/electronic-flight-bag/id378999256?mt=8)

Works in iPhone, optimised for iPad.

Ixixly
6th Aug 2010, 06:50
Ok, so question here peoples. If so many Home Developers are getting on the bandwagon and designing these apps, why haven't Jepps for example caught up and hired someone to design something for them as well?

It seems silly that it fits in so well with what they offer and yet with the iPhone out for so long they have yet to catch on and realise that by providing an App for the iPhone with the information they already have the rights to publish they could make a lot of money as everyone (Myself included) would grab it straight away!

I mean if Jepps came out with an App that provided an easy to navigate electronic version of what they already offer in paper version, stuck in a GPS, some flight planning and the ability to grab weather as well, they'd be onto a definite winner. Perhaps provide people with the ability to get it at a discount if they already own a set of Jepps and then charge a small amount for updates!

training wheels
8th Aug 2010, 14:40
I'm about to get an iPhone and was thinking of getting the iPhone 3GS as the budget is a little tight to get an iPhione 4. Is the iPhone 4 worth the extra cost or would the 3GS be sufficient? All I want to use it for is getting access to internet for flight preparation and also the electronic logbook for Mac.

Also, I heard there are some issues with the iPhone 4 and some are being recalled. Is this true?

htran
8th Aug 2010, 16:10
I'm waiting for the iPhone 4GS I doubt it will be a long wait considering the 4G is a dud.

You'd think by 4th generation they'd get it right? And I don't see how they didn't pick up the antenna issue during testing.

morno
8th Aug 2010, 17:52
I'm with you htran, wait for the 4GS. I figured the 3GS was a huge improvement over the 3G, so why would the 4GS be any different?

morno

VH-XXX
8th Aug 2010, 21:08
Buy a 4, you won't be disappointed. There are NO issues with it if it has a cover on it which you should definitely have anyway.

Htran, will the ERSA app do full screen on my ipad or do I have to zoom it and lose resolution?

faction
9th Aug 2010, 11:07
Why wait for the 4GS when you can wait for the 5G?
The 4G currently drops 1/100 calls, the average rate of other phones is 1/200 so it sounds bearable.

htran
9th Aug 2010, 12:22
Electronic flight bag has dedicated iPad screens at full resolution, plus wx radar. U are getting two full apps, iPhone and iPad app in the one purchase.

Just found out from a user that I forgot to include area 70 Tasmania in the pre flight briefing, will get onto fixing that. A fellow dev has provided me links to DAP so u can guess what new bookmarks are on the way next.

PyroTek
9th Aug 2010, 15:49
I haven't had any issues with my new iPhone4, I heard someone say it only affects something like 0.5% of phones anyway. It's not a big issue with an easy workaround. The iPhone is great.
Also, a great game is "Angry Birds" - nothing to do with flying, but great fun!:ok:

Biggles78
9th Aug 2010, 17:38
Be advised that iPhone 4 has issues with the screen if dropped. I have an iPhone 3G that has been dropped several times (slippery little sucker) and have zero screen damage. iPhone 4 NEEDS the Apple supplied case so your hand doesn't mask the antenna and affect signal strength and to give some protection against screen damage.

You can Google iphone 4 screen damage for more info.

Finally, if you have an iPhone 3G, DO NOT upgrade the IOS to version 4. It would be like replacing an IO540 with an O360, I kid you not. Personally I wish I was still running IOS v2.

test7875
10th Aug 2010, 04:14
Checkout

myE6B .. very definative.

Spikey21
10th Aug 2010, 06:35
Checkout

myE6B .. very definative.

It cannot calculate a PNR or a CP !!

FlightPlan leaves it for dead.

nitpicker330
12th Aug 2010, 01:25
I downloaded "gyroscope" App onto the i-phone 4 hoping it might work correctly.

Alas I tried it in the Aircraft and whilst banking 30 left then right it didn't move at all!!

So much for the phone having a 3 Axis Gyro sensor??

Or is the App a fake?

PyroTek
12th Aug 2010, 03:06
Does it work on the ground? did you accidentally have it caged? there is a button on the apps I have "Artificial Horizon" which cages it..

nitpicker330
12th Aug 2010, 06:12
On the ground ( or in the Air ) the Gyro indicates movement in Roll Pitch and Yaw only when you move the phone around in your hand. If you sit it on the centre console ( so that all the attitudes are set to zero ) and then roll the Aircraft left or right the i-phone Attitude doesn't change one little degree!!

This used to be the case with the old i-phone attitude apps using the old i-phones built in accelerometer.

I would have thought that if this was a true 3 Axis Gyro and you initialised it in a level attitude it should indicate movement thereafter?.....

Either the App is a cheap fake ( con job )or the i-phone doesn't really have any 3 Axis Gyro system.

Checkboard
12th Aug 2010, 07:40
nitpicker330 - I would think that the app was written before the iPhone 4 came out, so the input to the horizon display was written purely using the accelerometer input. It will need to be updated (ie re-written) to sample the gyro input!

nitpicker330
12th Aug 2010, 07:51
Yes it was developed for the i phone 4

Search in I Tunes App store for "gyroscope" by a company called
accrossair.

There is another Gyro App "Airplane Gyroscope Attitude indicator" I'm checking out.
Designed by a Pilot, so we'll see.

baswell
14th Dec 2010, 05:56
Just released:

OzRunways | Mobile Aviation Apps for Australia (http://www.ozrunways.com/)

ERSA/DAP/AIP on iPhone and iPad!

mustman
14th Dec 2010, 07:41
Good stuff. Any plans for a jeppesen one??

compressor stall
14th Dec 2010, 10:16
There's an ATA chapter looker-upperer app too for free. Very handy to work out which tome of FCOM 1 to get! And the AIP app above looks great, downloading now.

das Uber Soldat
15th Dec 2010, 00:03
Just downloaded OzRunways. Epic app. This one goes on the quick launch bar! If only it could do Jepp plates too! :(

Bevan666
15th Dec 2010, 00:12
There is already a 'free' Jepp plate viewer for the iPad.

Only needs a JeppView subscription..

Bevan..

das Uber Soldat
15th Dec 2010, 00:15
yer ive seen it but the concept of getting everything in 1 place is what im interested in. Takes time to switch between apps. This OzRunway has the ERSA and approach plate view in 1 section all together. Very convenient.

baswell
15th Dec 2010, 00:53
Adding Jeppesen is going to be investigated. This poor VFR pilot never realised even aussie regionals use them instead of Airservices.

Should not be a technical issue at all, we just need to talk to them and see if we can license and at what cost.

Rowan (who does speak IFR and sounds like work is switching to them soon too) is on the case. We'll keep you posted!

Chimbu chuckles
15th Dec 2010, 01:07
I downloaded Ozrunways last night - its very good but I can't find the DAPS plates east or west?

Its definately worth the $50 - great app - It would be even better if it was a little more searchable (hyperlinks in the index) and scrolled sideways like turning pages in a book.:ok:

Capt Claret
15th Dec 2010, 01:32
G'day Chuckles,

Tap on FAC on menu at bottom of page.

Select desired aerodrome.

Tap on bookmark icon top right of page for relevant DAP charts. :ok:

das Uber Soldat
15th Dec 2010, 01:59
Thanks baswell. I'd wager that many people would jump at the chance to have their jepps on the ipad along with all the other data you've got presented in this app. Definitely the pick of the bunch at the moment.

Shagpile
15th Dec 2010, 02:27
I downloaded Ozrunways last night - its very good but I can't find the DAPS plates east or west?

You can also use the search function which will bring up DAPS & ERSA together.

For example:

YPE I - brings up "Edinburgh (YPED) ILS-Z" and "Pearce (YPEA) ILS-Z"

ADE NON - brings up all non-jet plates in Adelaide.

baswell
15th Dec 2010, 02:30
Chimbles, it works exactly as the Captain says.

In a very early incarnation of the app, there was a special tab for it, but the reason why we ended up doing it this way is because we want to make the app airfield centric. I.e.: you pick an airfield and then all the info that is available for it.

We're actually working on sourcing data for non-ERSA airfields, which would then also appear in the list if you have that option enabled.

We always love hearing any feedback and your suggestions to make the app better and more useful!

Jack Ranga
15th Dec 2010, 03:01
Shagger and Bas, hope I'm speaking a lingo you can understand (I don't speak geek, no offense, geeks are cool :ok:)

But when you bring up a plate, say, on an ipad, can you depict or have a geo referenced little aeroplane thingy to show where you are when flying the approach?

Ta

baswell
15th Dec 2010, 05:15
Jack, that would be really cool, but not in the near future i'm afraid.

We'd have to have geo-referenced plates and such, which we don't have at the moment.

Mapping would however be very useful for VFR navigation; even a moving map in your lap would be nice when flying IFR using proper navaids or TSO GPS. So that's obviously on our to do list. No guarantees on timeframes, though! (It depends much on what data we can get and how much work we need to do to make it work well)

coco-nuts
15th Dec 2010, 08:31
CrewAlert is preetty good.

cheers

coco

Chimbu chuckles
15th Dec 2010, 13:16
Thanks guys...I had more time to play with it enroute AKL - its an awesome app - on my Ipad the crew consensus was it was better than the EFB in the 777 we were flying.

You'll certainly have my $50/annum. For the number of approaches I fly/year in light aircraft Ozrunways is perfect.

Capt Claret
15th Dec 2010, 20:51
What's this $50 per annum business? It says $25 on my iPad when I check the subscribe link. :confused:

Chimbu chuckles
15th Dec 2010, 20:57
AIP/ERSA and DAPs E&W = $50. Any one = $25

ForkTailedDrKiller
15th Dec 2010, 20:57
For the number of approaches I fly/year in light aircraft Ozrunways is perfect.

Hmmmmm!

Dr :8

Jabawocky
15th Dec 2010, 23:45
I bet the DBAY ONE ARRIVAL is not in there :E

Nor the MANGROVE TWO DEPARTURE :}

nitpicker330
18th Dec 2010, 09:52
Really good app.

Is there are way to "tab" between the charts you want in order to switch around quicker than via bookmarks?
I'm told that the real EFB's allow the user to tab up to 5 open charts at once along the bottom of the screen and thus you can very quickly flick between the charts.

With regards to Jeppesen allowing you to access their chart viewer, good luck!, they charge CX a fortune to have Jeppview.

Cheers and well done boys :ok:

baswell
19th Dec 2010, 03:21
Is there are way to "tab" between the charts you want in order to switch around quicker than via bookmarks?
I'm told that the real EFB's allow the user to tab up to 5 open charts at once along the bottom of the screen and thus you can very quickly flick between the charts.
Excellent suggestion.

Been thinking about this one and how to implement it and make it easy to use. How about a toolbar just below the navigation bar that keeps a list of the last 5 viewed charts in a "segmented control". (this is the type of control that, in the App Store app lets you select between Top Paid and Top Free on the top 25 page)

It would probably take up too much space on the iPhone, but on the iPad it would be fine.

I will also make it so that when you go into an airport you will view the last viewed chart/page for it, rather than displaying FAC by default.

Nivo
19th Dec 2010, 05:11
Baswell & Shagpile,

Well done on OzRunways - excellent app!

It would be great if you could work with Jeppesen to get their app and yours integrated somehow. Jepp TC does a good job with the Jepp plates, but has no AIP/ERSA info at all. I have already emailled Jeppesen and told them the same thing!

cheers,

Nivo :ok:

nitpicker330
19th Dec 2010, 05:50
Baswell, fantastic mate. Keep up the good work.

Tabs or a tool bar showing the last 5 charts opened will make it very user friendly whilst you are conducting the approach or taxiing around and have little time to go heads down looking for a chart.:ok:

How long will it take to modify the program?

Cheers

wellnoname
26th Dec 2010, 11:39
Navtech Introduces iCharts for iPad - Navtech (http://www.navtech.aero/trim_tabs_volume_1_issue_4/navtech_introduces_icharts_for_ipad.html)
:)

sprocket check
27th Dec 2010, 10:47
thanks wellnoname!

I think Sentient are still in with a chance as Navtech have only done a media release, so far no sign of the actual app or the chart coverage. It's not in the App store and no indication on price on the Navtech site.

nitpicker330
29th Dec 2010, 02:19
Baswell,

One more important feature please.

When the app is closed you have to re open the last chart again all over from the beginning screen.
Can you program it so it remembers the last chart/charts you were using after you close the app (like goodreader does )

Thanks boys:ok:

baswell
29th Dec 2010, 07:21
When the app is closed you have to re open the last chart again all over from the beginning screen.
Yes, apologies for that. :)

Basically, we turned off multitasking until we were certain we could make that work and have the updates for new editions working bulletproof at the same time.

We are happy with that now and it will be in the 1.1 release that we are going to submit to Apple in the next few days. Then they have to review it, but it should be there soon.

Amongst other more minor things in the update, multi-tasking will make sure the app opens exactly where you left off. It also now remembers which plate you looked at last. So if you go into YPAD and select ILS 23, go out, view YPED, then go back to YPAD, it will show ILS 23 again instead of going back to ERSA like it does now.

We're continually working on it, so keep the suggestions coming!

nitpicker330
29th Dec 2010, 23:44
Thanks.........:ok:

Chimbu chuckles
30th Dec 2010, 09:51
baswell are you aware of the US app Foreflight?

Seamless VFR (WAC/Sectional) or IFR (ERC low) maps for the whole US - zoomable/searchable (as in you can type in an intersection/waypoint/navaid and it goes straight there) + you can download weather, fill out and file flightplans etc.

An Oz equivalent - maybe 'Ozflight'? would be awesome.:ok:

An Ipad with Ozrunways, Ozflight and NAIPS - now THATS an EFB.

PPRuNe Towers
30th Dec 2010, 09:59
And in case you hadn't spotted it for reading PPRuNe:

vBulletin Mobile for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store (http://www.vbulletin.com/go/iphoneapp)

Rob

zanthrus
30th Dec 2010, 21:37
vBulletin This app is rubbish. :mad:

It only show stuff about vBulletin!

How do you get PPRuNe to come up on it?

sprocket check
31st Dec 2010, 07:14
AirNav Pro now supports Aus VNC and VTC charts via MapTrax. VFR only of course and only a supplement to what you're supposed to have of course but beats a Garmin now hands down (except on terrain warning)

UnderneathTheRadar
1st Jan 2011, 06:58
AirNav Pro now supports Aus VNC and VTC charts via MapTrax. VFR only of course and only a supplement to what you're supposed to have of course but beats a Garmin now hands down (except on terrain warning)

That does indeed look pretty smart - but are you saying that you can import Maptrax maps into the app? I can't see how? Or is it that you buy the in-app maps instead (but their website says that doesn't work since August).

Thanks,

UTR

baswell
1st Jan 2011, 08:54
baswell are you aware of the US app Foreflight?
We sure are! :)

Mapping is definitely on our "to do" list. In fact, we want it really, really badly and it will happen; we're looking into the "how" of it as we speak.

The main issue is time and market size. If you have 20 times the market of Australia, it's easy to invest money and just do it. Right now we're not there yet.

That said: the support so far has been great and of course even more people will pick it up if we add maps, so it's worth it.

Just hang in there.

I can say one thing: when we get around to doing it, there will be none of that $7.99/map nonsense that other software charges. Our model (and pricing) will likely be similar to Foreflight.

baswell
1st Jan 2011, 08:58
Also: except for reliable GPS exception. (metal roof, behind the panel on your knee; depends very much on aircraft design) But if used only as secondary VFR method, that shouldn't be an issue.

Would be great if someone made an easy to use external GPS. There is a wifi-based solution, but I'd prefer easier to use bluetooth and one that simply enhances Apple built in location functionality, so it works in every app. But that's only something Apple could make...

sprocket check
1st Jan 2011, 13:41
AirNav Pro uses in-app purchasing via iTunes of MapTrax ASA Maps, so for only VNCs and VTCs. It does also include the airfield database, airspace display and Openstreet Maps without additional cost.

The iPad wold be a contender for a EFB and secondary VFR Nav. With the new iPad supposedly coming with a USB port external GPS should be easy.

baswell
2nd Jan 2011, 07:35
With the new iPad supposedly coming with a USB port external GPS should be easy.
The current iPad has USB, it's just hidden in the dock port. Tom Tom uses it for their GPS dock. And of course it has Bluetooth.

The problem is that without Apple's consent, your gadget won't work. Apple's consent means a lot of paper work and embedding an authentication chip supplied by them into your hardware.

For a small company like ours, that's almost impossible. Our only hope is that some big company does it in such a way that every developer is able to use it for their apps - even if we were to have to pay royalties to them.

EDIT: *if* the new iPad has a real USB port, I would imagine it's "unauthorised" use be limited to file transfers to thumb drives and such. I can't imagine Apple restrictions on other uses being lifted.

Ivasrus
7th Jan 2011, 07:35
For the inevitable time you're sitting with a so-called "global warming skeptic", this app has all the well-trodden arguments and a helluva lot of science to answer even the most skeptical skipper's cynicism.

Skeptical Science (http://itunes.com/apps/skepticalscience) - FREE, AUSTRALIAN, interesting.

Ultralights
7th Jan 2011, 09:00
how about a plane attached to your ipad? iPad | iCub (http://icub.aero/)

the new ICub LSA. an ipad mounted smack in the centre of the panel.

UnderneathTheRadar
12th Jan 2011, 14:37
Airguide Publications, Inc. (http://www.flightguide.com/flight_guide_iefb.html)

Their GPS seems like the real deal. The developer posts a lot on the Aerostar owners forum and really knows his stuff - he wrote the best explanation of how iPAD GPS works.

Baswell, do you reckon you could use this device - even if it is wi-fi based (they apparently tried to get apple to accept the bluetooth but it was too hard). Let me know if their contact details would help?

Oh, Baswell, one other - I have OzRunways but can't convince it to show me DAPS? Not a big deal as I also have the JeppTC viewer.

The holy grail would be to get Jepp FliteDeck working on the iPAD. Geo-reffed charts (including plates) in a much better package than the tablet pc I'm using now. Good luck and I know quite a few customers if you get it going.

Cheers,

UTR.

baswell
13th Jan 2011, 03:35
It's worth contacting them about their GPS to see if we can use it. But first we need our own maps to make GPS worthwhile! :)

To get to the DAPs, simply select and airport and when the FAC is displayed, tap the "book" icon in the top right corner to get all the plates.

rob681
16th Jan 2011, 10:25
Hey,

Try FlightBOX. It has a great spin on the aviation related app. Great log book and has a very good convertions add-on. The iPad version is excellent! It has a great customizable desktop!

PPRuNeUser0212
17th Jan 2011, 10:10
Amazing, it happens online too. You get a whinge of pilots (2 or more pilots in a group) and there will always be one showing off their smart phone and comparing apps. The big watch makers must be going broke, no one compares how big their watch is anymore.

keep up the good work boys

LHS

Captahab
17th Jan 2011, 13:02
Try FlightBOX. It has a great spin on the aviation related app. Great log book and has a very good convertions add-on. The iPad version is excellent! It has a great customizable desktop!

and very expensive too, $16.99 just to activate the logbook.

You can get iLogbook for $5.99 and it does everything.
iLogbook for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ilogbook/id353608507?mt=8)

PeterTG
21st Jan 2011, 02:25
I used Flightmaster on PalmPilot as well as CoPilot. Both excellent, but now the first is discontinued and the latter is IPhone only
Are there any Android apps known available in Australia? There are a number of Android tablets, with gps, that could be used for a fraction of the price

globaltourer
21st Jan 2011, 04:20
Does anyone know when to expect Ozrunways EFB on the Android platform? Likewise, any chance the NAIPS application they have will be released on Android?
Cheers

Shagpile
21st Jan 2011, 06:43
Does anyone know when to expect Ozrunways EFB on the Android platform? Likewise, any chance the NAIPS application they have will be released on Android?

I'm not doing a version of NAIPS for android - if anybody wants to ask me how to interface with the website, deal with Airservices etc, just send me an email. It would be great to get a version going for all phones.

We've also got a guy lined up to do an Android version of OzRunways, however he is currently on another job so may be a couple of months before we get something released.

nitpicker330
29th Jan 2011, 11:58
Baswell,

How go the updates you mentioned Apple would approve soon?

Cheers

Shagpile
1st Feb 2011, 09:37
v1.1 rejected by Apple on grounds they aren't getting a 30% cut. Submitted twice & rejected both times (2nd time tried doing registration via our website). So we have had to resort to in-app purchase.

So we will offer both in-app, and give a discount for buying via PayPal/Credit card on the ozrunways.com website.

Not happy as there are numerous apps that have external subscription models such as:
-Jeppesen
-IceTV
Will have to wait for v2.0 with maps etc. when we release the huge update.

nitpicker330
2nd Feb 2011, 04:11
Oh bugger!!

So I can update via "in app" ? How do I do that and what'll it cost me?

tks

Shagpile
2nd Feb 2011, 23:04
no v1.0 is still working & on the app store where you can still pay via paypal.

They just rejected the update as they clued on that we were not using their in-app system (where they skim 30%).

Apparently Apple have been clamping down on this lately and you will see lots of your favourite apps move to in-app as well as external subscription to give them a piece of the pie.

The app store is like the gold rush. There are a few people that strike gold and make millions, then everybody else rushes in. For every success story there are thousands of developers with fart apps that make nothing!

The only people that ever made any money off the gold rush were the guys selling picks to the miners (Apple!!).

Jack Ranga
3rd Feb 2011, 00:38
Shagger,

You may have to put instructions on your website for fellas like me (basic to intermediate computing knowledge)

I wouldn't have a clue what you are talking about when you use phrases like 'in-app' etc.

thegeneral
3rd Feb 2011, 17:08
Long time reader, first time poster. I have found a simple and quick logbook gizza called logbook adder. Dead simple but saves time at the end of the month.

Shagpile
4th Feb 2011, 09:42
I wouldn't have a clue what you are talking about when you use phrases like 'in-app' etc.

Sorry - thats when you are using your phone, and whilst running the app, you press on something like 'buy'. Up pops a message that says "Are you sure we can deduct $xx for product XYZ?" and you press "yes" then the app suddenly enables that feature (all automatic. Its very simple & easy for the user, hence Apple deduct 30% from the developer).

As opposed to external subscription, where you would go to a website like IceTV (http://icetv.com.au) and pay via credit card using your internet browser on your pc or laptop. One extra step for people, but generally cheaper & more money goes to the content provider (e.g IceTV, not Apple).

AussieNick
8th Feb 2011, 23:36
anyone know how to fix this?

i recently aquired a 32gb 3gs. downloaded a few apps like smart efis. took it for a spin, but its like the GPS isnt working. i booted it before i moved from the parking bay, and it still hadn't found a GPS signal (yes location service is turned on) by the time I arrived at Port Keats and hour later?

Maps will work, but i'm pretty sure its using cellular triangulation to find the location

bradleygolding
9th Feb 2011, 09:09
Check the OS number v4.0 was ok and v4.2.1 is good, but the ones in between were crap for GPS. Some of the v3 OSs were no so GPS friendly as I recall.

Steve

AussieNick
9th Feb 2011, 23:28
thanks mate, the OS was fine. downloaded motionx lite to have a see if the gps chip was actually working. Got it to lock onto the sats, but it seems to lose the gps signal quite easily. will have to have another run in the plane with it to see if it's fixed.

Tidbinbilla
10th Feb 2011, 21:26
Try "reset network settings". Works for me. (You'll lose any saved wifi networks). Alternately, you could do a full power down and power up. :)

TID

havick
11th Feb 2011, 03:04
Hopefully Rowan Willson reads this (Naips for iPhone - Great app)..

What's the chances of publishing the same app for the app store on new a macbook pro?

Shagpile
11th Feb 2011, 04:20
What's the chances of publishing the same app for the app store on new a macbook pro?

Just use www.airservices.gov.au/brief (http://www.airservices.gov.au/brief)

Shagpile
13th Feb 2011, 22:34
Looks like Executive Jet in America have received full FAA approval for iPad in operations!

Executive Jet Receives FAA Authorization To Use Jepp Charts On IPad (http://avstop.com/feb_2011/executive_jet_receives_faa_authorization_to_use_jepp_charts_ on_ipad.htm)

From the article:
The authorization allows Executive Jet Management to use iPad and the Jeppesen Mobile TC App as the sole reference for electronic charts, even during taxi, takeoff and landing......Jeppesen commissioned a successful rapid decompression test on iPad to 51,000 feet in altitude. Executive Jet Management completed successful non-interference testing on the evaluation aircraft.......The authorized EFB configuration is a Class 1 portable, kneeboard EFB solution that is secured and viewable during critical phases of flight as defined in FAA Order 8900.1. Information obtained from this evaluation will also be useful in gaining future authorization for Class 2 mounted configurations utilizing iPad......In support of the authorization effort, a total of 55 pilots and 10 different aircraft types from the Executive Jet Management fleet were involved in 250 flight segments to ensure a broad scope of feedback

Cool (although doesn't apply to Australia yet)

training wheels
13th Feb 2011, 23:31
Shagpile, after subscribing to Ozrunways, do we also need to subscribe to Airservices' as well, or does the $25 for DAPs, for example, include the subscription to AirServices Aust?

The Full Mooney
14th Feb 2011, 02:01
Shagpile, Is ozrunways AIP Daps ERSA available in a format that will run on an ordinary PC that is running Windows XP or similar? Only I like Command Flight Planner and keep this on a small laptop when I travel and would really like the ability to have DAPs ERSA AIP etc on the same machine. I know I can go to the airservice website,but as you would know it is not presented in a very user friendly format, or have I missed something?

Shagpile
14th Feb 2011, 21:52
AIP Daps ERSA available in a format that will run on an ordinary PC that is running Windows XP or similar?
I agree its difficult to download everything required from the AsA website and the filenames are tricky to understand - e.g. ABAAD01-121.pdf is the Albany aerodrome chart. At work we print off the ones that aren't in our regular book (e.g. a random NDB).

You could download all of them from the Airservices Website manually but that would be extremely difficult & may also be breaking their disclaimer that says without written permission:

"no part of the AIS Publications may be.... stored in a retrieval system" and "You are not permitted to cache the AIS Publications on a local server".

Shagpile, after subscribing to Ozrunways, do we also need to subscribe to Airservices' as well, or does the $25 for DAPs, for example, include the subscription to AirServices Aust?

The $$ pays for a subscription onto iPad & iPhone. Can't use it on a windows/mac laptop or transfer files either (our License with Airservices only allows iPhone/iPad/Android). We also aren't associated with Airservices, we only license their information to onsell. So if you need book copies, you will need to purchase them separately.

185skywagon
17th Feb 2011, 00:22
Shagpile,
Ozrunways is good. I assume that we pay you when the month period runs out?
I also assume that doing this in-app, bypasses apple??
cheers,

Bevan666
17th Feb 2011, 00:49
Hi Folks

We are in the process of writing a flight planning iPad app and need a few patient people with an iPad running iOS 4.2 to do some usability and functional testing.

If anyone is interested, contact me via PM.

Thanks,

Bevan..

Shagpile
17th Feb 2011, 02:38
I also assume that doing this in-app, bypasses apple??

Yeah external means Apple don't get 30%, but expect this to change.

Apple have now abused their dominant market position by forcing every single app that offers an external subscription, to also offer an internal (in-app) subscription. Developers have a couple of months to comply.

This means that if somebody buys a years subscription from a company's website, then the company will get all the money. However they must also offer an in-app purchase option for the same price (or less). If the user buys the Subscription in-app, then Apple automatically get 30%.

And guess which one people will do - the easier in-app one. Doesn't go well with a lot of content providers and there are already talks of anti-trust lawsuits against Apple, kind of like how Microsoft abused their market position.

I assume that we pay you when the month period runs out?

Whenever you want - it just adds 1 year onto whatever the expiry date is. If it says expired it just adds 1 year from today.

I think we're close to getting some clarification from CASA. I've tracked down the guy in charge of developing EFB policy & awaiting his response. Hopefully Australia copies the FAA policy of allowing EFB's for all small, non-commercial aircraft at the Captain's discretion.

mdavenport
27th Feb 2011, 20:34
Any news on when Navtech are going to be releasing the Navtech iCharts????

Thanks
Mark

baswell
10th Jun 2011, 06:14
Blowing my own horn here, hope you don't mind... Shagpile, SeaMoss and I have just released OzRunways 2.0.

http://www.ozrunways.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/iPad2BlogPost.jpg

More info here:
OzRunways EFB 2.0. Know where you’re going. And how to get there. | OzRunways (http://www.ozrunways.com/site/2011/06/ozrunways-2-0-available-now/)

BronteExperimental
10th Jun 2011, 07:34
:Dgood work u blokes.
will try out over the weekend.
have been using air nav pro for 6m or so(very good), but would much prefer to buy Oz Made!
Will be glad to do some app consolidation too... Trying to copy clearances while listening to chili peppers while reading my emails while flicking between NAIPS, OZrunways, Airnav and Angry Birds was stressing me out.....;)

BE

PyroTek
10th Jun 2011, 14:30
Been looking forward to this! Might give it a go tomorrow:ok:

kingRB
11th Jun 2011, 00:34
Will update soon as I get back to somewhere I can access the appstore :ok:

morno
11th Jun 2011, 04:30
Shagpile,
Just wondering if it's possible to download all the maps etc. through a computer rather than the iPhone. I don't have access to Wifi and I don't really fancy using up all my Data allowance for the month.

Cheers

morno

Bevan666
11th Jun 2011, 09:25
.. in the spirit of free plugs, if you want flight planning on your iThingie, this app is awaiting approval from our friends at apple;

http://www.avsoft.com.au/ext/screenshot.jpg

Full NAIPS integration, ERSA, AIP, DAPS and all maps with some nifty weather radar overlays. Build a complete flight plan by pointing and clicking. More details on our site (http://www.avsoft.com.au/)

Should be available in the next week or so from the App Store.

Bevan..

baswell
11th Jun 2011, 09:42
Just wondering if it's possible to download all the maps etc. through a computer rather than the iPhone. I don't have access to Wifi and I don't really fancy using up all my Data allowance for the month.
Not at the moment, but:

So the computer you intend to use is connected to the internet? Does that have WiFi? If not, buy a cheap USB wifi adapter. Then turn on internet sharing via the wifi interface and connect your iPendix to it.

b_sta
11th Jun 2011, 10:12
.. in the spirit of free plugs, if you want flight planning on your iThingie, this app is awaiting approval from our friends at apple;

This looks fantastic - highly polished, and will be the tipping point for me in buying an iPad 2 this week! Can you confirm just what the level of integration is with it? No need to enter distances, tracks etc to each waypoint manually I assume, it works them out for you? Does it autofill wind info from NAIPS also?

Also, what's the subscription cost?

Bevan666
11th Jun 2011, 10:34
This looks fantastic - highly polished, and will be the tipping point for me in buying an iPad 2 this week! Can you confirm just what the level of integration is with it? No need to enter distances, tracks etc to each waypoint manually I assume, it works them out for you? Does it autofill wind info from NAIPS also?

To plan a flight, just enter the start point (search by ident or name, or point on the map) any intermediate points and the destination. It calculates all distances, headings, times (once a particular aircraft is selected), downloads automatically all relevant forecasts and NOTAMS from NAIPS to get winds (even upper level winds for you folks living in the flight levels) and temps.

Enter a departure time, some people, fuel and then submit the plan via NAIPS. If you love paper you can print the plan + ERSA/DAP charts for your route with the press of a button.

Job done.:ok:

Then in the aircraft in flight the <previous leg> <next leg> buttons can be used to set which leg of your plan you are on. As waypoints are passed the times are logged, and ETA's for the rest of the plan updated based on forecast winds.

When pressing on a leg on the flight plan another window opens with the TAF's and NOTAMS for that location, and scrolling to the right you have the ERSA and DAP's for the location (if applicable).

As for pricing, the various subscription types are on our site, but the full version with ERSA,AIP,DAPs and all maps for a year will be $130 when purchased through our site or $170 via the subscription in the app store.

Bevan..

compressor stall
11th Jun 2011, 12:06
Bevan, does it allow you to create and save user "airports"? Most places I go to are not airports and as such don't appear in any DAFIF etc.

I am looking for an app that will let me save the lat lon a bunch of user airports and flight plan between them (dist, trk in °True).

These airpots are not (technically) in Aus so would that matter (bearing in ming that I'm not interested in viewing the maps....) ?

Bevan666
11th Jun 2011, 22:11
Bevan, does it allow you to create and save user "airports"? Most places I go to are not airports and as such don't appear in any DAFIF etc.

Yes, it does. You can create user waypoints by entering lat/long coordinates or pointing at a spot on a map.

Bevan..

compressor stall
11th Jun 2011, 22:18
Great. And can you name them and save them whatever you like?

Also, will it work/output in degrees true? (a small market segment I know...:8.)

And as a final thought, can you upload your own georeferenced maps? This might not be a niche market segment as I think the fire crews have their own georeferenced maps. Some fire crews might like to confirm....

Bevan666
11th Jun 2011, 23:45
All its internal calculations are in true, then a local magnetic variation is applied when a track/ heading is displayed to the user. In this release there is no switch to turn that off to leave everything in degrees true, but it can be added before the summer.

As for user maps - a user cant do that in this release, but its a good idea though.

Bevan..

Calldepartures
12th Jun 2011, 04:47
Bevan,
Apart from the small screen, anygood on the Iphone or do you really need the Ipad?

CD

Ultralights
12th Jun 2011, 05:00
thses apps have made the decision for me, i was looking at installing a Garmin Aera 550 soon, but have now bought an ipad2, cheaper, more usefull at home apart from the moving map apps, and i still have my GPS96C as backup.

Bevan666
12th Jun 2011, 05:10
Apart from the small screen, anygood on the Iphone or do you really need the Ipad?

It has identical functionality, just on a smaller screen. Panning and zooming is available for the maps and documents however.

Bevan..

Shagpile
12th Jun 2011, 09:34
Bevan - are you using the DAFIF? Is it the old one from years ago before they withdrew it?

Bevan666
12th Jun 2011, 09:46
Bevan - are you using the DAFIF? Is it the old one from years ago before they withdrew it?

No, the data comes from airservices.

Bevan..

Chimbu chuckles
12th Jun 2011, 10:28
Shagpile et al - downloaded/upgraded my Ozrunways 1.0 -> 2.0 last night....MOST impressed.:ok:

compressor stall
12th Jun 2011, 11:08
Is it the old one from years ago before they withdrew it?

I thought the DAFIF was no longer made publicly available as AirServices tried to hold copyright over the(ir) Australia data. As such, the Yanks said get stuffed and from then on just keep all the data in house.

Shagpile
12th Jun 2011, 12:05
I thought the DAFIF was no longer made publicly available as AirServices tried to hold copyright over the(ir) Australia data. As such, the Yanks said get stuffed and from then on just keep all the data in house.

Yeah that's correct - that's why I was wondering if he was using it. The guy at navaid.com uses an old one from a few years ago.

Bevan666
9th Aug 2011, 23:44
After a bunch of work we are very excited to announce that AvPlan is now available from the Apple App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/avplan/id417674282?mt=8).
It is a free download and a fully featured trial will be active for a month.
http://www.avsoft.com.au/ext/IMG_0088.jpg

The app is then available as a subscription;

Flight planning with full NAIPS integration for weather, NOTAMS, plan submission and more.
VFR Upgrade Pack (ERSA, VNC, VTC and WAC charts)
IFR Upgrade Pack (VFR plus DAP, ERC H, ERC L and TAC charts)

If you like the app and choose to subscribe, please do so via our website at www.avsoft.com.au (http://www.avsoft.com.au) for a discount over the prices available inside the app.

Thanks,

Bevan..

flyboy_nz
10th Aug 2011, 14:44
Bevan666,

Just did a search for AvPlan, didn't show up in the app store. Looks good, will try it and pass the word others at work.

Bevan666
10th Aug 2011, 19:56
Hi Flyboy_NZ

Its currently only an iPad app, so if you are looking from an iPhone or iPod touch you wont see it.

The next version will support the iPhone as well. Thanks for passing on the good word. :ok:

Bevan..

Jay Bo
10th Aug 2011, 21:40
Hi Bevan just wondering how do you insert a waypoint in between 2 other waypoints already in the flightplan without deleting the other waypoints

Bevan666
10th Aug 2011, 22:06
Hi

There are two ways;

Click on the map around where the waypoint you wish to insert is, the 'select nearest' view appears.

There are two buttons there; add | insert.

Select insert, tap on + on the waypoint row you wish to insert. Another view of the current waypoints in the plan will appear and then select waypoint you wish to insert before.

2. Add a waypoint at the end, then edit the plan with the left most button at the bottom of the flight plan. The row can be picked up and moved to the point you want. Press edit again to take the plan out of edit mode.

Note that with the plan in edit mode you can edit more parts of the plan, such as the winds for each leg if you want to manually change it.

Thanks,

Bevan..

Power
11th Aug 2011, 22:15
Avplan - a few observations/questions
Got this yesterday and have been playing around with it, very good app!
In regards to the weather, is there a way to manually refresh the data of eg. The arfor as when I hit the refresh button at the bottom the data didn't change.
Also how do I set an aircraft to use for the current flight plan? (n00b me)
Back to weather, when viewing the naips weather the iPad is picking up strings of numbers such as the temps as possible contacts and is hyperlinking them - an easy fix I'm sure
Cheers

Bevan666
12th Aug 2011, 00:54
Hi Power

To refresh a forecast for a plan, press the refresh button like you are doing. However, it will only re-download a forecast if the previous one is over 15 minutes old.

It will then reapply winds etc to the plan.

To set an aircraft, press the aircraft symbol, select the type, then the particular callsign. If there is a detailed performance model for that type, select the performance model. It will then recalculate the plan, and you will see the type in the footer of the plan, and the callsign in the header of the plan.

Good point about the numbers etc in the forecasts. There was a debate about this, and it was left in so you can just press on phone numbers in forecasts etc as required.

Thanks for giving it a go. :ok:

Bevan..

Jay Bo
12th Aug 2011, 03:34
Maybe for future updates Avplan might be able to load automatically the taf and terminal charts for their respective waypoints from the flight plan.
It would be good to have these grouped together in the terminal screen at the touch of a button for that required flight for easy access
Would i be right in saying the only way at the moment to get these is to load them independenly from the ersa/dap book button on the right top of screen
Look forward to using it in the air:ok:

Bevan666
12th Aug 2011, 10:15
Hi Jay Bo

If you tap on a row in the flight plan it will open the terminal tab with that waypoint, complete with TAF's and NOTAMs for that point. Scroll left and right then for applicable ERSA/DAP pages.

It also remembers which page you were viewing, so if you tap between plan waypoints you will go back to the particular ERSA/DAP page you were viewing at that point.

Hope that helps

Thanks,

Bevan..

Mongrel Dog
13th Aug 2011, 13:11
Hi Bevan,
I've had a play with this and it shows great potential.
One question though. Is it possible to edit manually entered waypoints?

MilFlyer
17th Aug 2011, 07:57
Great App (http://www.avsoft.com.au) Bevan. You've obviously put a lot of hard work into it.

Tried it airborne the other day with the recommended iPad Kneeboard (https://www.flightplanning.com.au/home.php?cat=250&l=y). Very good and a great combo. Can you explain a little more on when BOM Radar overlays work whilst Airborne? You mentioned on the website it works with some maps.

Bevan666
17th Aug 2011, 08:41
Hi Folks

The ability to edit/delete user waypoints will come in a update very soon.

As for the BOM radar overlay - it works on the WAC's and VTC's at the moment - the radar button will only enable on those types. Anything else will be coming in an update shortly.

Thanks for taking the time to try it out.

Bevan..

Field In Sight
28th Aug 2011, 14:26
Useful for cabin crew.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/mike_a_mckay/photo.jpg

Pigy
6th Sep 2011, 22:13
Just downloaded Ibal for all you Rotorheads, fantastic W & B Ap!

lilflyboy262
7th Sep 2011, 08:20
Hey guys,

I've been sifting through the 13 pages and haven't really come up with anything.
Is there any apps for a world wide kinda thing?
I'm currently flying in Africa, but will either be in Canada or PNG in the next few months. I'd prefer to get something that isnt just limited to one country.

Cheers!

Aussie Bob
7th Sep 2011, 10:14
I have just downloaded AvPlan and I am subscribed to OzRunways which is sensational.

I am finding AvPlan somewhat of a mystery. Bevan, what would really help here would be a step by step sample plan in your user manual. Several times I have considered just deleting this app, so far its way to hard for me, sorry.

But I will keep plugging away for a while yet ....

Bevan666
7th Sep 2011, 22:38
Hi Aussie Bob

Thanks for downloading it and trying it out.

Contact me offline and I will help you out - doing so will let us know how we can improve our documentation, as there is certainly room for improvement.

Thanks,

Bevan..

b_sta
7th Sep 2011, 23:51
I'd agree - a step by step, plain English PDF manual would be of great assistance I think, as I too have found it quite difficult to figure out.

Alternatively the user experience within the app needs to be simplified somewhat, I think - it's not clear to the user where they need to start at or what each 'next step' is in the plan creation process.

motley flight crue
8th Sep 2011, 05:50
Angry birds for long haul flights.

PyroTek
8th Sep 2011, 06:14
Angry birds for long haul flights.

Fruit Ninja is where it's at, nowadays :ok:

lilflyboy262
8th Sep 2011, 14:50
Got and done the free version of angry birds already haha.
Will have to look for snowtam thanks.

I've already figured that a lot of the stuff isnt as good as what they make it out to be on the website...

ColdCalc
23rd Sep 2011, 14:38
RSVP Multimedia Inc. - iPHONE Development (http://www.rsvp.ca/apps/iphone.html)

I also recommend:

Aeroweather Pro & Crew Rest. :D

Sbaker
25th Sep 2011, 12:10
Sticky this thread, very useful :)

ColdCalc
29th Oct 2011, 15:28
And don't forget FlightControl guys.

Jay Bo
20th Nov 2012, 07:54
Just downloaded and used Xavion by Austin Meyer (developer of x plane) new app which is basically is an artificial intelligent co pilot.
This app is running engine-out FLIGHT SIMULATIONS internally as you fly, imagining an engine failure every single second, and running a simulated power-off glide to every runway at every airport in gliding range
When Xavion has found the runway that it believes is most likely to result in a safe engine-out landing, it builds a series of hoops from your current location to that runway, spiraling, circling, or extending AS NEEDED FOR THE HOOPS TO FOLLOW A CONSTANT DESCENT ANGLE THAT YOUR AIRPLANE SHOULD BE ABLE TO SUSTAIN WITHOUT POWER

Ran it through x plane and worked flawlessly. Bit pricey but worth the money if you ever have to use it for real.