PDA

View Full Version : Laptop died

boofhead
12th Dec 2009, 16:22
I have a Sony PCG VX89 that I have had for a long time and am happy with. I bought a new battery for it this week because the old one would not hold a charge. I put the new battery in, put it on charge for the night, saw the yellow light flashing periodically indicating the battery was taking the charge.

This morning, went to turn it on, and nothing. No lights, no response at all. Battery in or out, old battery or new, dead as a door nail.

Checked the external power and it is giving a good 16 volts. Jiggled the ON switch, which has never given trouble before, and nothing.

What can I check? Are there fuses or reset buttons in laptops? Any clues?

rogerg
12th Dec 2009, 18:26
try some of thesehttp://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/396689-laptop-fix.html

SyllogismCheck
13th Dec 2009, 16:02
It would be rather unusual for a replacement battery to kill a laptop stone dead, but seems like too much of a coincidence to be rule out entirely.

Was the replacement battery a Sony item or a cheapie?

Does the replacement battery test OK on a voltmeter or has it gone TU somehow and sent voltages down all the wrong terminals into the laptop?

boofhead
13th Dec 2009, 21:41
It was sold as a replacement and looks the same although it is 4800 ma instead of the original 3000. It was charging all night and was dead in the am. It could be a bad battery, and since I cannot get the laptop to light up even with the external power pack plugged in I cannot charge up the old battery either.

Lancelot37
13th Dec 2009, 22:14
Try this

- Remove the battery and then disconnect the AC adapter if connected.
- Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds then release it.
- Reinsert the battery and then reconnect the AC adapter.
- Turn on the computer.

If that doesn't work omit "reinsert battery" and try again.

allthatglitters
15th Dec 2009, 08:17
I would suggest if it's an old machine to start asking questions about a suitable replacement, and think about transfering your important data from the old hard drive to a new machine, the price of a new machine seem quite reasonable and you get a waranty.
I think it's time I took some of my own advice and do the same.:)

Lancelot37
15th Dec 2009, 09:53
They are so cheap these days that I replace my laptop and desktop every two years. Never spend more than £500 on each, but my first laptop years ago was £1,500. Add inflation and that would be a high price today.

boofhead
24th Dec 2009, 20:29
Problem is the MOBO. No way to fix it within a normal budget so it is now available for spares.