PDA

View Full Version : EU banned list

davidjohnson6
12th Dec 2009, 13:58
I understand that if an airline is on the 'banned from the EU' list, then safety is likely to be a bit dubious.
However, in some parts of the world, one can either choose to fly with such an airline, or go by land. If going by land is not viable (e.g. roads are in a very bad shape or an area of land between the 2 airports has armed bandits), then one is left with flying, and the need to get a ticket issued. I'm ignoring cases when a banned airline contracts out the operation of a flight to a permitted airline.

Could someone tell me what a travel agent in the UK is (or isn't) allowed to do with such an airline ? Is there a complete ban on issuing tickets for that airline, or is it a case that a travel agent can issue the ticket, provided that they can prove they've told me that the airline is on the banned list ?

Anansis
12th Dec 2009, 14:37
The EU banned list prohibits listed airlines from flying within European airspace. It does not expressly address issues such as ticketing. Presumably this means that a European based travel agent is free to issue tickets for a banned airline as long as it does not fly within European airspace. I also presume that this also means that they are under no obligation to inform you of this status either (though they may be partially liable for death or serious injury caused as a direct consequence)

Transport: List of airlines banned within the EU - European commission (http://ec.europa.eu/transport/air-ban/list_en.htm)

Anansis

Capetonian
12th Dec 2009, 16:50
The EU banned list prevents an airline from flying its aircraft in and out of EU airports (I'm not sure if this affects overflying rights).

In theory a UK travel agency could issue tickets validated for a banned carrier provided that the carrier participates in BSP-GB. However as the agent would be issuing tickets on the first international carrier, if that carrier were banned from flying to the UK, the situation is hypothetical.

A more realistic situation would arise if tickets were validated for the first international carrier, for example KLM, and a subsequent carrier was a banned one. The GDS would inhibit ticket issuance unless KLM had an interline ticket agreement with the banned carrier.

If the banned carrier did not participate in BSP-GB, and did not have an interline ticketing agreement with the first international carrier, the agency could issue an MPD/MCO to the banned carrier's UK office, or its General Sales Agent, and have them issue a separate ticket. The agency itself would not be able to issue the ticket and I'm not even sure if BSP would accept this scenario, in which case payment would have to be by cheque or CC.